Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
WHBM, you may recall my war with the squirrels that were chewing into my walls and stealing my insulation. Over the years I'd tried a variety of sprays from synthetic fox urine to pure ammonia. Nothing worked. Except my BB gun.

The search for non-lethal deterrents continued however and finally I've found one that shows promise - peppermint oil and white pepper mixed in salad oil and then squirted onto the areas the squirrels tend to frequent. I've also sprinkled liberal amounts of cayenne pepper around all of my spruce trees and atop the many fallen spruce cones that litter the ground around my place.

A vole (or two) managed to find its way into my cabin as well this summer, so I've also invested in sonic repellents that can be plugged in around the cabin. They're said to also deter squirrels. The reviews I read on them were mixed but we'll see how things turned out when I get home next week.

As for your badger problem, a quick search of the internet while googling "Badger repellent" brought up this article and its rather unique approach.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 12, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

As for your badger problem, a quick search of the internet while googling "Badger repellent" brought up this article and its rather unique approach.
Ah, sounds like a perfect reason to drink more beer!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Rescue is your man. I'll book a seat on BA for him and send him right over.....
"What is the purpose of your visit Mr. Rescue?"
"I have come to destroy a local badger."
"Please step aside Mr Rescue..."
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
[QUOTE=jlemon;28908025]

As always, please only answer two or three quiz items at a time. Thanks!

17. In 1976, Western Airlines ran an ad which mentioned another air carrier. The copy read:

THE GREAT DENVER PICK-ME-UP.

___ (airline)___ to Denver.

Western to the West, Alaska and Hawaii.

Fill in the blank by naming the airline in question. We are looking for a local service air carrier here

18. Two air carriers were operating stretched Super DC-8 service at this time into Port of Spain (POS) in 1979. Name both airlines. One airline was based in Europe and the other was Air Canada. The European air carrier wasn't Iberia or KLM.

The next two quiz items have a time line of 1982.

21. You've just concluded your business in Boston and have been invited to join a good friend at the Cessna aircraft plant in Wichita where he will personally take delivery of a new Citation business jet. You've found a direct flight that meets your needs which will depart BOS at 1:55 pm and arrive at ICT at 7:50 pm. Three stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the three stops in order. Northwest Orient operating a 72S on a routing of BOS-EWR-MSP-___-ICT (and then on to DFW). So we are still looking for the third stop here.

22. What a nice little jet! The Citation delivery process at Wichita was both interesting and enjoyable. But now it's time to get back to work. And that means a business meeting the next morning in Dallas. You will have time for an early dinner with your friend and the Cessna folks before boarding a flight at ICT at 8:15 pm that will operate nonstop to DFW arriving at 9:15 pm. Name the airline and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

24. Now it's 1984 and you are in Taipei where you've been heavily involved in project work as a consultant. It's time for a break and a friend has offered you the use of his condo near Hanauma Bay on Oahu. So you are off to Honolulu on board a direct flight that makes one stop en route departing TPE at 12:45 am and arriving at HNL at 7:15 pm. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type you'll be flying on. The airline wasn't South Pacific Island Airways or Continental and the equipment wasn't a 707 but was actually a DC-10-30

25. You are in Omaha in 1985 and need to travel to Spokane with a departure in the late afternoon. Sounds like a connection will need to be made somewhere out west, doesn't it? But no! Here's a direct flight departing OMA at 5:25 pm that arrives at GEG at 10:00 pm with two stops being made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the two stops in order. ANSWERED

Still looking for answers for the above with some hints now added.....

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 17, 2017 at 11:15 am Reason: answer updates
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
18. Two air carriers were operating stretched Super DC-8 service at this time into Port of Spain (POS) in 1979. Name both airlines. One airline was based in Europe and the other in North America

Given the hint, I'm going to go with Iberia and Air Canada

25. You are in Omaha in 1985 and need to travel to Spokane with a departure in the late afternoon. Sounds like a connection will need to be made somewhere out west, doesn't it? But no! Here's a direct flight departing OMA at 5:25 pm that arrives at GEG at 10:00 pm with two stops being made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the two stops in order. Sunworld operating a DC9 on a routing of OMA - LAS - ___ - GEG (the second stop wasn't RNO)

Lat's go with San Jose (SJC)
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.

Was it Continental with a DC10?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... with some hints now added...
21. You've just concluded your business in Boston and have been invited to join a good friend at the Cessna aircraft plant in Wichita where he will personally take delivery of a new Citation business jet. You've found a direct flight that meets your needs which will depart BOS at 1:55 pm and arrive at ICT at 7:50 pm. Three stops will be made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the three stops in order. The first stop was Newark
21- my first thought was TWA but the routing hint shot that down ... BOS-EWR in 1982 mainly had Eastern and Piedmont, but I don’t think either served ICT ... maybe Northwest with a DC-9-30 to Detroit (DTW) and thence Memphis (MEM)
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18. Two air carriers were operating stretched Super DC-8 service at this time into Port of Spain (POS) in 1979. Name both airlines. One airline was based in Europe and the other in North America

Given the hint, I'm going to go with Iberia and Air Canada

25. You are in Omaha in 1985 and need to travel to Spokane with a departure in the late afternoon. Sounds like a connection will need to be made somewhere out west, doesn't it? But no! Here's a direct flight departing OMA at 5:25 pm that arrives at GEG at 10:00 pm with two stops being made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the two stops in order. Sunworld operating a DC9 on a routing of OMA - LAS - ___ - GEG (the second stop wasn't RNO)

Lat's go with San Jose (SJC)
18. Air Canada is correct! However, the other air carrier wasn't Iberia so please guess again....

25. Nope, it was not San Jose (SJC)......
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VH-RMD

Was it Continental with a DC10?
24. Well, you've correctly guessed the equipment! However, the air carrier in question wasn't Continental....
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
21- my first thought was TWA but the routing hint shot that down ... BOS-EWR in 1982 mainly had Eastern and Piedmont, but I don’t think either served ICT ... maybe Northwest with a DC-9-30 to Detroit (DTW) and thence Memphis (MEM)
21. Northwest Orient (NW) is correct! However, this flight did not stop in Detroit (DTW) or Memphis (MEM) and the equipment wasn't a DC-9-30, so please guess again!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright, so Air Canada is good. If not Iberia but it's a European airline - assuming it wasn't supplemental - let's go with KLM.

25. You are in Omaha in 1985 and need to travel to Spokane with a departure in the late afternoon. Sounds like a connection will need to be made somewhere out west, doesn't it? But no! Here's a direct flight departing OMA at 5:25 pm that arrives at GEG at 10:00 pm with two stops being made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the two stops in order. Sunworld operating a DC9 on a routing of OMA - LAS - ___ - GEG (the second stop wasn't RNO or SJC)

Hmm... how bout Boise?!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
21- eliminating DTW and MEM seems to leave Minneapolis (MSP) as an obvious second stop, but I really can't imagine NW trying to snatch ICT market share away from TW at St Louis (STL) ... however the original Braniff was on its last legs in '82, so maybe NW went after their mini-hub at Kansas City (MCI)

and since it's not a D9S, how about a 727-251?

22. What a nice little jet! The Citation delivery process at Wichita was both interesting and enjoyable. But now it's time to get back to work. And that means a business meeting the next morning in Dallas. You will have time for an early dinner with your friend and the Cessna folks before boarding a flight at ICT at 8:15 pm that will operate nonstop to DFW arriving at 9:15 pm. Name the airline and the aircraft type. Equipment was manufactured by Boeing ...
22- I'll go waaaaay out on a limb here ... was this the continuation of the NW flight from Q21?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alright, so Air Canada is good. If not Iberia but it's a European airline - assuming it wasn't supplemental - let's go with KLM.

25. You are in Omaha in 1985 and need to travel to Spokane with a departure in the late afternoon. Sounds like a connection will need to be made somewhere out west, doesn't it? But no! Here's a direct flight departing OMA at 5:25 pm that arrives at GEG at 10:00 pm with two stops being made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the two stops in order. Sunworld operating a DC9 on a routing of OMA - LAS - ___ - GEG (the second stop wasn't RNO or SJC)

Hmm... how bout Boise?!
18. KLM Royal Dutch was operating DC-10 equipment into POS at this time but not the Super DC-8. And so, it was another European air carrier....

25. Nope, it wasn't BOI, either....
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
21- eliminating DTW and MEM seems to leave Minneapolis (MSP) as an obvious second stop, but I really can't imagine NW trying to snatch ICT market share away from TW at St Louis (STL) ... however the original Braniff was on its last legs in '82, so maybe NW went after their mini-hub at Kansas City (MCI)

and since it's not a D9S, how about a 727-251?

22- I'll go waaaaay out on a limb here ... was this the continuation of the NW flight from Q21?
21. Yep, the second stop was MSP and the equipment was a 72S. However, this flight did not stop at MCI.....

22. I think that's a rather stout limb there.....because you are correct: this flight from ICT to DFW was indeed a continuation of the NW service that originated at BOS.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

25. You are in Omaha in 1985 and need to travel to Spokane with a departure in the late afternoon. Sounds like a connection will need to be made somewhere out west, doesn't it? But no! Here's a direct flight departing OMA at 5:25 pm that arrives at GEG at 10:00 pm with two stops being made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the equipment and the two stops in order. Sunworld operating a DC9 on a routing of OMA - LAS - ___ - GEG (the second stop wasn't RNO or SJC or BOI)

Sooner or later, ah mon git it...

I know Sunworld served Portland, but I don't know if they served PDX-GEG. What the heck tho - Portland!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.