Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, my first thought here was race driver Niki Lauda's airline, Lauda Air. I believe Lauda Air leased several stretched BAC One-Eleven series 500 from Tarom back in the mid 80's.

But then, I thought, can Lauda Air really be thought of as a "major" European air carrier even though it operated Boeing 777 equipment at one point? And, BTW, Mr. Lauda actually flew as the pilot in command of the triple 7 on occasion on scheduled flights for Lauda Air....

The answer is most likely, no: Lauda Air was not a major European airline.

However, Ryanair certainly is these days and back when they were just getting started, I believe they operated BAC One-Eleven series 500 aircraft leased from Tarom.
Ryanair operated both BAC One-Elevens and Romanian built RomBAC One-Elevens. In 1989, I spent a semester in London. On spring break, I went to Ireland with some of my classmates. Everyone else took the ferry, or flew EI from LHR, but I took the train to LTN, to fly an obscure airline called Ryanair that nobody had heard of. My LTN-DUB flight was on a One-Eleven, and my return flight from Cork to Luton was on a RomBac 111 - I definitely lucked out!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW

It's interesting that for many years, Chicago-Montreal was one of the few routes from the US where you could choose a Canadian airline (AC), multiple fifth freedom airlines, but no US carrier. Not until 1977 was a US carrier (AA) given rights for ORD-YUL.
Ah yes, I remember flying from Chicago to Montreal on board an American Airlines Boeing 707 back in the late 70's.....and welcome JoeDTW to the OTA&AQ!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it appears that neither our regulars nor our new contributors have yet taken a stab at this
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
19. Name six U.S. airlines that operated their fleets in an all premium class configuration

I was able to think of three -- Midwest Express, MGM Grand Air, and Regent Air -- fairly quickly, but held off posting since I have lately been chastised for Failing to Conform to the Quiz Rules
... if the answer to a question calls for listing say - four different airlines, please list four airlines in your answer. Incomplete answers will be disregarded.
so herewith my other guesses
Air One
McClain Air
Legend Air
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA
3. What was the first Asian Airline to operate a jet aircraft? What kind of aircraft was it?
I reckon the first delivery was Air India with their first Boeing 707 at the start of 1960, which was initially used on Bombay/Delhi to London via various points.

However, Pakistan International just a couple of weeks later got one of the Pan Am 707-321s on lease, and this would have come with established ready-to-fly Pan Am crews as it stayed on the US register and would require FAA-licensed crews. It started Karachi to London flights in competition. So who went first to start scheduled service ? Both carriers separately claim it. However, to be literal, the Operator of the PIA aircraft was actually Pan Am, so I'll go for Air India.

The two contenders :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23032926@N05/11251151645/
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1037664/

13. What was the first international airline and aircraft to land at the newly inaugurated London Heathrow airport?
I presume by "international" we mean non-British here, in which case it would be a Panair Brasil Lockheed L-049 Constellation from Rio de Janeiro. Quite a contrast to the British South American Airways Avro Lancastrian which was the competition from the British end, a non-pressurised (and apparently not well-heated or sound-insulated either) converted WW2 bomber, which had actually been the first commercial flight ever out of Heathrow.

17. In October 1953, this airline became the first airline outside the UK to fly the Comet. Name the airline and the route flown
I believe it was earlier, in February 1953, being UAT from France, and the first route was Paris Le Bourget-Casablanca-Dakar. Now having rudely contradicted here (sorry) I have to look for some evidence on the web, best I can find is here which says 19 Feb 1953 but doesn't specifically mention the points. UAT quite quickly moved on to Abidjan and a separate route through Tripoli to Brazzaville as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_...e_de_Transport

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 28, 2014 at 2:22 pm Reason: Put the pictures in
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

19. Name six U.S. airlines that operated their fleets in an all premium class configuration

And finally, a bonus question:

Who was the first FlyerTalker to post questions to the Old Timer’s Airliner Quiz from onboard an airplane?
19. Air Atlanta, Air One, McClain Airlines, MGM Grand Air, Regent Air and UltrAir. And in every case these premium air carriers (as opposed to all business class airlines such as Legend Airlines and Midwest Express, both of which operated McDonnell Douglas equipment) flew Boeing 727 aircraft. The exception was MGM Grand Air which added a DC-8 to its small fleet in addition to its B727 equipment.

Bonus: I'll guess the intrepid Seat 2A!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Two other European airlines whose names end in "A" come to mind: IberiA and AlitaliA. I don't think IB served Chicago until the 1980s, so I will go with AlitaliA.

It's interesting that for many years, Chicago-Montreal was one of the few routes from the US where you could choose a Canadian airline (AC), multiple fifth freedom airlines, but no US carrier. Not until 1977 was a US carrier (AA) given rights for ORD-YUL.

Well done, Joe. Alitalia it was, with a 747. Alas, with the advent of long distance and/or smaller long distance aircraft, the days of fifth freedom routings seem to be gone. Can anybody think of even one these days between Canada and the U.S.?

BTW, I flew upon my first 787 today, First Class DEN-IAH. Very nice seat and I really liked the DC-10 sized windows. Alas, my onward destination of Nashville is closed, apparently all day tomorrow as well. Looks like I'm going back to Seattle. Tonight. Then it's back to Alaska tomorrow, do laundry and continue on to Buenos Aires! Happy contrails
!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 29, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl22

It appears that neither our regulars nor our new contributors have yet taken a stab at this. I was able to think of three -- Midwest Express, MGM Grand Air, and Regent Air -- fairly quickly, but held off posting since I have lately been chastised for Failing to Conform to the Quiz Rules, so herewith my other guesses

Air One
McClain Air
Legend Air

Good on ya, jrl22! See what a little chastisement will do?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 2, 2014 at 1:39 am
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:59 am

BTW, I flew upon my first 787 today, First Class DEN-IAH. Very nice seat and I really liked the DC-10 sized windows. Alas, my onward destination of Nashville is closed, apparently all day tomorrow as well. Looks like I'm going back to Seattle. Tonight. Then it's back to Alaska tomorrow, do laundry and continue on to Buenos Aires! Happy contrails!
Houston to Anchorage for laundry, then Anchorage to Buenos Aires. That must be a Socks Run to beat them all.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good morning from Seattle. I apologize for my delay in responding to your responses but it has been a busy 24 hours. With the two 738s that flew me IAH-DEN-SEA, I am now a little less than 9000 miles from logging my 500,000th mile aboard the 737-800. My first 738 flight came back in December of 2001, so that averages about 40000 miles flown per year just on that aircraft type since 2001. That plane is downright ubiquitous!

Originally Posted by WHBM

3. What was the first Asian Airline to operate a jet aircraft? What kind of aircraft was it?
I reckon the first delivery was Air India with their first Boeing 707 at the start of 1960, which was initially used on Bombay/Delhi to London via various points.

The two contenders :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23032926@N05/11251151645/
http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1037664/

However, Pakistan International just a couple of weeks later got one of the Pan Am 707-321s on lease, and this would have come with established ready-to-fly Pan Am crews as it stayed on the US register and would require FAA-licensed crews. It started Karachi to London flights in competition. So who went first to start scheduled service ? Both carriers separately claim it. However, to be literal, the Operator of the PIA aircraft was actually Pan Am, so I'll go for Air India.

Fair enough (and well presented, thanks). I was going to go with PIA based upon information contained on its website which claims a start in March 1960. Given the relations between these two countries, it's hardly surprising that they should be at odds on the first jet flight as well.

13. What was the first international airline and aircraft to land at the newly inaugurated London Heathrow airport?

I presume by "international" we mean non-British here, in which case it would be a Panair Brasil Lockheed L-049 Constellation from Rio de Janeiro. Quite a contrast to the British South American Airways Avro Lancastrian which was the competition from the British end, a non-pressurised (and apparently not well-heated or sound-insulated either) converted WW2 bomber, which had actually been the first commercial flight ever out of Heathrow.

I remember the Lancastrian well from the early days of Heathrow video you supplied a month or so ago. Panair do Brasil it was. I can't help but wonder how long it was before British South American Airways countered with something more comfortable?

17. In October 1953, this airline became the first airline outside the UK to fly the Comet. Name the airline and the route flown

I believe it was earlier, in February 1953, being UAT from France, and the first route was Paris Le Bourget-Casablanca-Dakar. Now having rudely contradicted here (sorry) I have to look for some evidence on the web, best I can find is here which says 19 Feb 1953 but doesn't specifically mention the points. UAT quite quickly moved on to Abidjan and a separate route through Tripoli to Brazzaville as well.

No rudeness taken here, WHBM ~ The error is on me. It was UAT of course but Mr. Dyslexic here had typed in the wrong month. Thanks for the correction! ^^
Originally Posted by jlemon

Air Atlanta, Air One, McClain Airlines, MGM Grand Air, Regent Air and UltrAir. And in every case these premium air carriers (as opposed to all business class airlines such as Legend Airlines and Midwest Express, both of which operated McDonnell Douglas equipment) flew Boeing 727 aircraft. The exception was MGM Grand Air which added a DC-8 to its small fleet in addition to its B727 equipment.

Good call on Ultrair! I forgot all about that one. I'll have to disagree with you on Air Atlanta though. They operated a 2-3 configured Economy Class cabin when I flew them in 1986. First Class was 2-2. They even offered a flight pass with a choice of First Class or Economy Class. I think their advertisements used to say everybody received First Class treatment.

Bonus: I'll guess the intrepid Seat 2A!

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 29, 2014 at 1:33 pm
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:52 pm

I remember the Lancastrian well from the early days of Heathrow video you supplied a month or so ago. Panair do Brasil it was. I can't help but wonder how long it was before British South American Airways countered with something more comfortable?
Never ! They stuck with their RAF aircraft, Lancastrians and Yorks, to the end, until they were forcibly folded into BOAC. They ordered another type, the Avro Tudor, which was a further post-WW2 airliner fiasco and had multiple accidents with them, including two disappearing mid-Atlantic, so they spent most of their time grounded. D. C. T. Bennett, the Chief Executive, who really was Mr BSAA, had been a key wartime Air Vice-Marshall bomber strategist, and unfortunately brought too many of his "press on regardless" habits with him. BOAC had also ordered large numbers of Tudors off the drawing board, when they were built and tested they refused to have anything to do with them.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
@Seat2A -- you are living dangerously today, given your stated location and your new two-tone tag line
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Truth be known, J, if I weren't originally from Colorado and thusly a Bronco fan, I'd be rooting for our old AFC West compatriots the Seahawks. I look forward to a great game and hopefully my Broncos will prevail. Good luck to the 'Hawks on Sunday and amongst those of you who care to watch, I hope you all have a great time. Go Broncos! Omaha! Hurry, Hurry!!

So - just three questions left...

5. Which airline referred to its 747s as “Navigator Jets”?

7. What was the first airline to serve alcohol aboard its flights within the U.S.?

23. Name three U.S. airlines in operation before 1990 that operated an all coach fleet and later added a true First Class service on some of their flights.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:15 am

Truth be known, J, if I weren't originally from Colorado and thusly a Bronco fan, I'd be rooting for our old AFC West compatriots the Seahawks. I look forward to a great game and hopefully my Broncos will prevail. Good luck to the 'Hawks on Sunday and amongst those of you who care to watch, I hope you all have a great time. Go Broncos! Omaha! Hurry, Hurry!!

So - just three questions left...

7. What was the first airline to serve alcohol aboard its flights within the U.S.?

23. Name three U.S. airlines in operation before 1990 that operated an all coach fleet and later added a true First Class service on some of their flights.
5. Random guess: TAP Air Portugal - in the late 1960s and early 1970s, they advertised Portugal's nautical / exploration heritage.

7. Another random guess: Northwest Orient
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Random guess: TAP Air Portugal - in the late 1960s and early 1970s, they advertised Portugal's nautical / exploration heritage.

You got it! Some great explorers came out of Portugal and though the Lisbon to New York route had been thoroughly explored by the time the 747 arrived, perhaps TAP was referring to the jet's passengers...

7. Another random guess: Northwest Orient

That's right! In 1949. Although this wasn't my only source, it was perhaps the most entertaining. You can read it HERE.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 2, 2014 at 1:41 am
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Congratulations to jrl22 and all the other Seahawk fans out there. The 'Hawks played a great game and are indeed worthy champions. The Broncos and their fans look forward to having another go at them next season - hopefully in the Super Bowl again. Until then, the Seahawks rock!

It's Monday morning and there's just one last question. The hot water for my shower is heating on the stove and I've got some last minute chores to run around town before heading out to the airport for yet another fun excursion around the planet. jlemon is waiting in the wings with a new collection of questions and there you have it. Life is good.

23. Name three U.S. airlines in operation before 1990 that operated an all coach fleet and later added a true First Class service on some (though not necessarily all) of their flights. BTW, there may have been more than three...

And the answers are:

Piedmont
People Express
America West
World

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 3, 2014 at 11:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.