Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: All of them!
All-American Aviation (1949)

Quiz time-- All-American Aviation started with winning Mail Route 49 in 1940by the CAB. What were the past names of this airline? and what is the current one?

The rain has just ended here in Vermont, and we are trying to make snow starting on Thursday, as we will be quite busy for the MLK holiday weekend.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

3) In 1974, this famous Hollywood actor was reportedly asked by a ticket agent why he chose to fly on Continental Airlines. His response: "This operation is class! Strictly class!" Name the actor.

12) Also in 1984, this U.S. based start up airline prominently featured connecting flight services provided by another airline that had begun operations some years earlier. The timetable route map of the start up air carrier also depicted the connecting routes operated by the other air carrier. Both airlines were operating mainline type jet fleets at the time. Identify this air carrier as well as the partner airline.

The next two questions both have a time line of 1985:

13) Now you are in Las Vegas enjoying a superb dinner with very good friends at the Prime Steakhouse located in the Bellagio hotel. You receive an urgent message with the following question: can you be present for a business meeting in Tampa the next afternoon? You quickly ascertain there is a direct red eye flight departing LAS in a just a few hours at 1:30am that will get you into TPA by 12:30pm. Hmmmm....that seems like quite a bit of elapsed time for a direct flight.....and then you discover this flight is a classic milk run with no less than five intermediate stops en route. Name the airline you'll be flying on as well as the aircraft type and all five intermediate stops.

22) Once again during the Christmas of 1989, three different airlines were operating jet service into Val-d'Or, Quebec (YVO). Each air carrier was flying a different aircraft type, none of which was a regional jet. Identify all three airlines and the respective jet aircraft they operated into YVO. Partially answered.....AC D9S and CP 73S service
In addition to the great question posed by cs57, the above quiz items remain unanswered......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 16, 2014 at 5:36 pm Reason: Answer update.....
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
20) It's almost Christmas in 1989 and you are in Chicago. You've been involved in project work in the region but now it's time for a holiday break. It just so happens that your old sailing buddy has returned to his hometown of Santa Barbara and his catamaran is now berthed at the Santa Barbara Harbor. December weather has been quite benign in the Santa Barbara Channel as southern California is experiencing yet another winter drought with clear, sunny skies being prevalent on most days. "Hey buddy", your old friend says on the phone, "you up for a sail trip for a week to the Channel Islands and their namesake national park off the coast?" Of course, you're in! You quickly discover one airline offers direct one stop service between ORD and SBA on a daily round trip basis. The intermediate stop is a bit of a surprise and it's the same airport in both directions. Identify the airline, the aircraft type you'll be flying on and the intermediate stop. ...
Originally Posted by Icecat
If I recall correctly, American had a bunch of weird tag on flights on the west coast. My answer would be American, MD-80
I think this was another instance of the above ... an AA MadDog, operating ORD-ONT-SBA

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 14, 2014 at 8:09 pm
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... 21) Also during the Christmas of 1989, only one airline was operating nonstop service between Houston Hobby (HOU) and Miami (MIA). Two round trip flights were operated each day but with different equipment. Name the airline and the respective aircraft types it operated on the route.
let's try Eastern with some variety of 727 and DC-9

...26) What airline based in Africa served Houston Intercontinental (IAH) in the past with one flight a week? And what type of jet aircraft was flown on this service? This flight also made one intermediate stop while en route from IAH to its primary destination. Identify the primary destination as well as the intermediate stop.
I want to say the oil industry might have been a catalyst for Nigeria Airlines DC-10 service between IAH and Lagos, but I can't seem to place a logical intermediate stop for passenger service ... how about a technical stop for fuel at Dakar
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
I think this was another instance of the above ... an AA MadDog, operating ORD-ONT-SBA
20) Correct.....and American was also operating two other daily MD-80 flights into Santa Barbara at this time with either a DFW-SBA round trip routing or a DFW-SBA-BFL-DFW routing. In addition, this marked one of the few times that AA had two MD-80s RON at SBA on the same nightly basis.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl22
21) Let's try Eastern with some variety of 727 and DC-9

26) I want to say the oil industry might have been a catalyst for Nigeria Airlines DC-10 service between IAH and Lagos, but I can't seem to place a logical intermediate stop for passenger service ... how about a technical stop for fuel at Dakar
21) Yep.....Eastern was operating two daily flights between HOU and MIA at this time, one with a B727-200 and the other with a DC-9-30.

26) Please guess again!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: DL, AA
18) Three airlines were operating daily nonstop mainline jet service on the short hop from Ontario (ONT) to Los Angeles (LAX) at this time. Name all three and also identify the respective equipment types they flew on the route.
I really don't remember the important stuff, but the unimportant useless information seems to stay in my head. I was working downtown LA in the early 1980's, for some reason I remember an article in the WSJ talking about this route, and how they followed a business guy from the inland empire hop on the morning Eastern Air Lines 727 to LAX for a meeting in the airport area, and fly back in the evening. At that time intra-California fares were still cheap and of course their wasn't any security b.s. like we have now and it was still quicker than driving. The article pointed out going the other way, one could catch United (727) early from LAX and return in the early evening. I believe Western also had a single 737 flight also.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't remember the important stuff, but the unimportant useless information seems to stay in my head. ...
isn't that why we keep coming back to this quiz thread?

I already have 50+ years of airline trivia there (and some of those memory bank deposits, as I have mentioned on a couple occasions, are buried **much** deeper than others), but it seems I learn one or two more bits pretty much every day here

Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL, AA
#25) Lake Tahoe (TVL) currently has no air service and has not had any scheduled passenger flights for many years. With quiz items 23) and 24) in mind, three other airlines operated jet service into TVL over the years. Name all three and the respective aircraft each operated from Lake Tahoe.
American 737-300 from SFO and SJC when they merged with Air Cal.
Reno Air MD-80 from LAX
Allegiant DC-9's from BUR, FAT, and LAS.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA
Oh I wish I had more time for all these

...26) What airline based in Africa served Houston Intercontinental (IAH) in the past with one flight a week? And what type of jet aircraft was flown on this service? This flight also made one intermediate stop while en route from IAH to its primary destination. Identify the primary destination as well as the intermediate stop
I'll go for South African, with a B747SP, stopping at Sal on the way to Jo'burg.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... 12) Also in 1984, this U.S. based start up airline prominently featured connecting flight services provided by another airline that had begun operations some years earlier. The timetable route map of the start up air carrier also depicted the connecting routes operated by the other air carrier. Both airlines were operating mainline type jet fleets at the time. Identify this air carrier as well as the partner airline.
Midway (MD-80s) and Air Florida (mostly 737s, but probably a bunch of other jets as well based on a bunch of earlier quiz questions) ... as I recall, ML pretty much absorbed all the QH operations by the end of that year

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 16, 2014 at 12:36 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...13) Now you are in Las Vegas ... can you be present for a business meeting in Tampa the next afternoon? You quickly ascertain there is a direct red eye flight departing LAS in a just a few hours at 1:30am that will get you into TPA by 12:30pm. Hmmmm....that seems like quite a bit of elapsed time for a direct flight.....and then you discover this flight is a classic milk run with no less than five intermediate stops en route. Name the airline you'll be flying on as well as the aircraft type and all five intermediate stops. ...
Originally Posted by miniliq
... I'll go with an Ozark (OZ) DC-9 on this routing: LAS-MCI-DSM-STL-IND-MCO-TPA
You're right, that was a real milk run!
... 12) No, it was not Ozark.....it was another airline...
I will hazard two guesses (yes I know that's pushing the envelope wrt "process" but the question has been sitting out there for 10 days now):

1- an Eastern 727 (variant not specified) via PHX, MCI, STL, ATL, SRQ
2- a Republic DC9 (variant not specified) via PHX, MEM, BNA, BHM, ATL
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

21) Once again during the Christmas of 1989, three different airlines were operating jet service into Val-d'Or, Quebec (YVO). Each air carrier was flying a different aircraft type, none of which was a regional jet. Identify all three airlines and the respective jet aircraft they operated into YVO.
Originally Posted by miniliq
Flush with success, I'll venture an answer to this one. I'm fairly certain that two of the carriers were Air Canada (AC) with a DC-9, and Canadian (CP) with a 737. For the third, I'll try Inter-Canadien (codesharing under a CP flight number) with a Fokker F100 -- but I'm not sure if that falls in your definition of a regional jet.
... However, then again, perhaps the F100's predecessor, being the Fokker F28 Fellowship (especially the smaller series 1000 version) could justifiably be thought of as being a regional jet (although the term "regional jet" had yet to come into vogue back then). ...

Inter-Canadien operating with a CP flight number - please guess again!
jlemon's thinly veiled hint reminded me that an F28 had crashed at Dryden Ontario in the 1988-89 time frame ... a little research revealed it was operated by Air Ontario

so I will guess that the third jet operator at YVO in Dec 1989 was indeed Air Ontario with a Fokker F28
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't remember the important stuff, but the unimportant useless information seems to stay in my head. I was working downtown LA in the early 1980's, for some reason I remember an article in the WSJ talking about this route, and how they followed a business guy from the inland empire hop on the morning Eastern Air Lines 727 to LAX for a meeting in the airport area, and fly back in the evening. At that time intra-California fares were still cheap and of course their wasn't any security b.s. like we have now and it was still quicker than driving. The article pointed out going the other way, one could catch United (727) early from LAX and return in the early evening. I believe Western also had a single 737 flight also.
18) Correct! From Ontario to LAX, Eastern was operating one daily flight with a B727-100, Western operated one daily flight with a B737-200 and United was operating two daily flights, one with a B727-100 and the other with a B727-200.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

American 737-300 from SFO and SJC when they merged with Air Cal.
Reno Air MD-80 from LAX
Allegiant DC-9's from BUR, FAT, and LAS.
25) All correct! The initial AA mainline jet service into Lake Tahoe utilized B737-300 equipment previously flown by Air Cal. I flew into TVL on board an AA operated 733 that featured the Air Cal livery but with American titles. I also believe the Allegiant service was operated with DC-9-21 aircraft back when this airline was based in Fresno.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.