Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
you really enjoy pinging me on the minutiae and technicalities, don't you? must have something to do with the fact that I'm a Seattle expat and Seahawks fan ... although in my defense my wife and I have a very close friend who grew up in Breaux Bridge (and who lived there w her husband for about 7 years after he retired from the Air Force; we have spent New Years' Eve w them in New Orleans twice and enjoyed it immensely), we both enjoy Abita beer and Cajun food, and we both would probably agree that your Saints are our second-favorite NFL team

obviously I didn't do quite enough research last week: it turns out that the TranStar timetable on departedflights.com is from Mar 86, and since the "Intro" page for the Jul 85 Muse Air timetable doesn't include LAS I didn't dig into those pages any farther ... I figured that Xmas of 85 was closer to Mar than Jul

final answer:

Muse Air, DC9-50; route as identified in my latest "very, very close" guess above
13) Correct! Muse Air (MC) was not really known for red eye flights...but they obviously operated at least one.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL, AA
22) During the Christmas of 1989, three different airlines were operating jet service into Val-d'Or, Quebec (YVO). Each air carrier was flying a different aircraft type, none of which was a regional jet. Identify all three airlines and the respective jet aircraft they operated into YVO. Partially answered.....AC D9S and CP 73S service
Finally since this question has been out there forever, the third airline flying between YUL-YVO with a F-100 was Intair.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Icecat
Finally since this question has been out there forever, the third airline flying between YUL-YVO with a F-100 was Intair.
22) Indeed it was.....and Intair used the "ND" two letter airline code which had been previously used by Canadian air carrier Nordair.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

12) Also in 1984, this U.S. based start up airline prominently featured connecting flight services provided by another airline that had begun operations some years earlier. The timetable route map of the start up air carrier also depicted the connecting routes operated by the other air carrier. Both airlines were operating mainline type jet fleets at the time. Identify this air carrier as well as the partner airline.
And then there was one left.....quiz item, that is.

12) The airline was Muse Air (MC) and their partner air carrier at the time was AirCal (OC). The Muse Air timetable dated April 29, 1984 included AirCal connecting routes on the MC route map with a number of connecting flights listed between the two airlines primarily via LAX but also via ONT as well. For example, from Houston Hobby (HOU), connecting service was listed via AirCal to PDX, RNO, SEA, SFO, SJC and SMF.

By 1985, the Muse Air partnership with AirCal was apparently no longer in effect as there was no mention of OC in the MC system timetable dated July 20, 1985.....and perhaps that is not surprising as Muse Air by that time had become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Southwest, would soon receive name change to TranStar and would then subsequently be shut down by its corporate parent. One can only surmise that WN already had big plans with regard to expansion of its service in the Golden State as early in 1985 Southwest was serving only one nonstop intrastate route in California: SAN-SFO.

So with that, paging Seat 2A.....and how 'bout dem Broncos!!!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 21, 2014 at 6:34 pm Reason: additional info.....
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
And then there was one left.....quiz item, that is.

12) The airline was Muse Air (MC) and their partner air carrier at the time was AirCal (OC). The Muse Air timetable dated April 29, 1984 included AirCal connecting routes on the MC route map with a number of connecting flights listed between the two airlines primarily via LAX but also via ONT as well. For example, from Houston Hobby (HOU), connecting service was listed via AirCal to PDX, RNO, SEA, SFO, SJC and SMF.

By 1985, the Muse Air partnership with AirCal was apparently no longer in effect as there was no mention of OC in the MC system timetable dated July 20, 1985 ...

my earlier answer (post 4106)
Originally Posted by jrl22
Midway (MD-80s) and Air Florida (mostly 737s, but probably a bunch of other jets as well based on a bunch of earlier quiz questions) ... as I recall, ML pretty much absorbed all the QH operations by the end of that year
was based on looking up Midway Airlines at Airchive.com ... I didn't actually dig into a timetable, but if I had looked up ML on Departedflights.com I would have probably reached a similar conclusion
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
How 'bout them Broncos! I watched the game from a small bar on the Colorado River, just upstream from Needles, CA. There were five of us watching on an ancient 19" cathode ray tube TV, but the beer was cold and the Bloody Mary's were deliciously spicy.

Many thanks to jlemon for an excellent and head scratching batch of questions. I apologize for my absence of late but I've been more than a bit distracted whilst flying everywhere from Boston to Anaheim to Atlanta to Portland and many more places. Next week I go to Fresno for a train ride! I also just scored a pair of First Class seats aboard Lufthansa and Asiana 747s for an upcoming trip, but that's another story. In any event, I expect to put out a new batch of questions either tomorrow or the next day unless some of you beat me to it. G'wan now - give it a go!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It’s a beautiful Saturday morning here in the troposphere. I’m sitting in seat 2D, cruising high over the Wind River Range of northwestern Wyoming as we wing our way down to Atlanta, Georgia. I’ve just finished a delicious luncheon of Blue Cheese Encrusted Chicken Breast, topped with a piquant cherry tomato sauce and accompanied by a medley of Brussels sprouts and capers with garlic mashed potatoes. With two and a half hours left in the flight, now seems an excellent time to post this latest batch of quiz questions.

As always, please limit your responses to no more than two or three questions at a time so that others may also have a chance to participate.
Additionally, if the answer to a question calls for listing say - four different airlines, please list four airlines in your answer. Incomplete answers will be disregarded.

1. Air France inaugurated Concorde service in January 1976. What was the inaugural route? A N S W E R E D

2. This airline opened the "Terminal of the Future" at its home base airport in 1968. Name the airline and the airport. A N S W E R E D

3. What was the first Asian Airline to operate a jet aircraft? What kind of aircraft was it? A N S W E R E D

4. During the 1970s and 1980s, this was the only Eastern Bloc airline to operate flights to Tel Aviv, Israel. A N S W E R E D

5. Which airline referred to its 747s as “Navigator Jets”?

6. Which airline has a winged mountain goat, the flying mouflon, as its logo? A N S W E R E D

7. What was the first airline to serve alcohol aboard its flights within the U.S.?

8. What was the first foreign launch customer for a Boeing jet? What type of airplane was it? A N S W E R E D

9. What was the first British airline to operate the Boeing 727? A N S W E R E D

10. What was the first airline to fly the BAe-146? A N S W E R E D

11. What was the first fatal jet airliner crash? A N S W E R E D

12. What was U.S. Air’s first widebodied jetliner? A N S W E R E D

13. What was the first international airline and aircraft to land at the newly inaugurated London Heathrow airport? A N S W E R E D

14. What was the first Asian airline to serve New York? A N S W E R E D

15. What was the first Asian airline to fly across the Pacific? A N S W E R E D

16. Air France was the launch customer of the A300. What was the second airline to fly the A300? A N S W E R E D

17. In October 1953, this airline became the first airline outside the UK to fly the Comet. Name the airline and the route flown. A N S W E R E D

18. What was the first city east of the Rockies served by Alaska Airlines? A N S W E R E D

19. Name six U.S. airlines that operated their fleets in an all premium class configuration A N S W E R E D

20. Name two U.S. airlines in operation before 1990 that operated an all coach fleet and later added a section marketed as Business Class (Not First Class) A N S W E R E D

21. Name two U.S. airlines operating prior to 1990 that once offered First Class but switched to an all coach configuration. A N S W E R E D

22. Name the U.S. airline whose jets were called “Funbirds” A N S W E R E D

23. Name three U.S. airlines in operation before 1990 that operated an all coach fleet and later added a true First Class service on some of their flights.

24. In 1981 this airline operated one stop service between Honolulu and London. Name the airline, the equipment and the route. A N S W E R E D

25. Name the only intra-state airline to have lounges aboard two different types of aircraft it operated. Identify the aircraft as well. A N S W E R E D

The following questions are based upon schedules published in a 1972 OAG

1. This was the only airline serving Westchester County Airport in White Plains, NY. It operated 8 flights each weekday. A N S W E R E D

2. Only two airlines operated jets into Orange County. Which airlines were they? A N S W E R E D

3. This airline operated a single daily jet flight between Saginaw, Michigan and New York’s LaGuardia Airport. A N S W E R E D

4. These two foreign carriers enjoyed fifth freedom rights on the Chicago – Montreal route. A N S W E R E D

And finally, a bonus question:

Who was the first FlyerTalker to post questions to the Old Timer’s Airliner Quiz from onboard an airplane? A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 29, 2014 at 9:22 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It’s a beautiful Saturday morning here in the troposphere. I’m sitting in seat 2D, cruising high over the Wind River Range of northwestern Wyoming as we wing our way down to Atlanta, Georgia.....

12. What was U.S. Air’s first widebodied jetliner?

18. What was the first city east of the Rockies served by Alaska Airlines?

The following question is based upon schedules published in a 1972 OAG

2. Only two airlines operated jets into Orange County. Which airlines were they?
Many thanks to Seat 2A for a fine bunch of new quiz items! It takes time to formulate and post these questions and I for one am most appreciative of your effort, sir!

And before I attempt to answer the above items, I must include a brief synopsis of our weather the past 36 hours here in south Louisiana which can be described in just four words: Cold. Ice. Snow. Colder.....

Yep, it snowed here in the LFT area yesterday following an opening WX act featuring freezing rain and sleet. The high temp yesterday was 28 degrees F and the low temp this morning was 24 degrees F. I almost slipped and fell this morning in our driveway due to the icy conditions....but I managed to catch myself just in time and did not spill even one drop of my deliciously spicy Cajun Bloody Mary.....

And Old Man Winter is apparently not done with us here way down south just yet as there is the possibility of snow once again on Tuesday night with low temps forecast to be near 20 degrees F by midweek.

And now to business....

12. Let's go with the Boeing 767-200ER which was inherited by USAir via its acquisition of Piedmont.

18. Hmmmm....this may be a bit of a trick question. If one counts the B727 interchange service that Alaska Air provided in conjunction with Braniff International back in the mid 70's, the cities would be Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Houston (IAH). However, if we are looking for "stand alone" service operated by AS, the honor may go to Toronto (YYZ) as Alaska Air flew MD-80 service nonstop between LAX and YYZ at one point. So I'll go with Toronto here.

2. Air California with B737-200 equipment and Hughes Airwest with DC9-10 and DC9-30 aircraft. And this was back in the day when the terminal at SNA was located in a building that was quite small with not a jetway to be seen....

And here's bonus question from yours truly.....

What airline and aircraft type was Seat 2A traveling on when he posted these quiz items earlier today?

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 25, 2014 at 1:40 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA
Very good set S2A. I'll hold back a few days - such interesting questions deserve some comments.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:42 pm

2. This airline opened the "Terminal of the Future" at its home base airport in 1968. Name the airline and the airport.
Braniff at Dallas Love Field

15. What was the first Asian airline to fly across the Pacific

That would be Philippine Airlinesflying a DC-4 flying US Troops home in 1946. It took 41hrs with stops for fuel at Guam, Wake, Kwajelein and Honolulu.
. This airline operated a single daily jet flight between Saginaw, Michigan and New York’s LaGuardia Airport.

United with a 737
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:51 pm

12. Let's go with the Boeing 767-200ER which was inherited by USAir via its acquisition of Piedmont.

Just a side note: I remember when Allegheny applied to the CAB for authority to operate PIT-LAX/SFO and they said in their application they would operate the Airbus 300.

2. Air California with B737-200 equipment and Hughes Airwest with DC9-10 and DC9-30 aircraft. And this was back in the day when the terminal at SNA was located in a building that was quite small with not a jetway to be seen....
and a mad dash across the ramp to get a decent seat, since no pre-assigned seats on Air California.

Last edited by Icecat; Jan 25, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
7. What was the first airline to serve alcohol aboard its flights within the U.S.?
I'll be interested to see if your data matches mine. Here's an excerpt from an article I wrote for a Miniature Bottle Collectors' Magazine (which I will probably have to modify after I hear your thoughts):

"In 1910 the first in-flight cocktails were served to paying passengers on a scheduled airline on the Zeppelin flying over Germany (not likely minis).

A brief look at airline histories shows that PanAm management prohibited in-flight liquor service until 1940. When postwar flights across the Atlantic became more regular during the late 1940's, many passengers began to appreciate the pleasures of "Irish Coffee."

Certainly inflight service became popular in the 1950's, but it varied from airline to airline. Pacific Southwest Airlines started serving in 1955, while United started serving two free drinks to first class passengers in 1956. By 1958 Delta was the only major US airline that was still "flying dry," and its management finally threw in the towel and joined the rest. A first it was only on non-stop flights between Houston and New York. Only two drinks per passenger were served -- in small bottles, with each passenger mixing their own cocktails."

So although PanAm was serving drinks on the overseas routes, and TransCanada was serving drinks in Canada in 1945, I'll go with PS in 1955 for my answer. I do remember drinks (and the 4-pack of cigarettes) on flights in the Eastern US in 1957-58, but can't remember the specifics.

Thanks for he new crop of questions!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Many thanks to Seat 2A for a fine bunch of new quiz items! It takes time to formulate and post these questions and I for one am most appreciative of your effort, sir!

Thanks for the kudos, Mr. L. It definitely does take some time to research the questions as well as respond to the answers.

And now to business....

12. What was U.S. Air’s first widebodied jetliner?

Let's go with the Boeing 767-200ER which was inherited by USAir via its acquisition of Piedmont.

To a T, Mr. L. Right on!

18. What was the first city east of the Rockies served by Alaska Airlines?

Hmmmm....this may be a bit of a trick question. If one counts the B727 interchange service that Alaska Air provided in conjunction with Braniff International back in the mid 70's, the cities would be Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Houston (IAH). However, if we are looking for "stand alone" service operated by AS, (We are) the honor may go to Toronto (YYZ) as Alaska Air flew MD-80 service nonstop between LAX and YYZ at one point. So I'll go with Toronto here.

And you would be correct! Toronto it was, with one of the longer flights to be operated in North America by an MD-80, topping out at 2,170 statute miles. The service was short lived, however. It commenced in 1991 and by July of 1992 it was discontinued.

2. In May of 1972, only two airlines operated jets into Orange County. Which airlines were they?

Air California with B737-200 equipment and Hughes Airwest with DC9-10 and DC9-30 aircraft. And this was back in the day when the terminal at SNA was located in a building that was quite small with not a jetway to be seen....

Spot on. I flew into SNA in March of 1980 aboard a DC-9-30 from SLC bearing the Hughes Airwest livery but with Republic titles. The old Eddie Martin Terminal was still in use with nary a jetway to be seen though the airport had just been renamed in honor of John Wayne who'd died in 1979. Hard to believe The Duke's been gone for near 35 years!

And here's bonus question from yours truly.....

What airline and aircraft type was Seat 2A traveling on when he posted these quiz items earlier today?

2A was traveling aboard a two month old Alaska Airlines 737-990ER bearing a sticker dedicating it to recently retired Alaska President and CEO Bill Ayer. Mr. Ayer is so highly revered amongst most Alaska employees that I'm surprised they didn't paint his face on the tail of this aircraft instead of the Eskimo's!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 25, 2014 at 7:49 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Icecat

2. This airline opened the "Terminal of the Future" at its home base airport in 1968. Name the airline and the airport.

Braniff at Dallas Love Field

That's right! The monorail at DAL, known as the Jetrail, was the world's first fully automated monorail transit system.

15. What was the first Asian airline to fly across the Pacific?

That would be Philippine Airlinesflying a DC-4 flying US Troops home in 1946. It took 41hrs with stops for fuel at Guam, Wake, Kwajelein and Honolulu.[/COLOR]

Yes indeed. For a timeline on PAL's history, see HERE

3. In 1972, this airline operated a single daily jet flight between Saginaw, Michigan and New York’s LaGuardia Airport.

United with a 737

Right again! It may even have occasionally been ship 9554 (N9054U), a 737-222 named "City of Midland/Bay City/Saginaw"

and a mad dash across the ramp (at SNA) to get a decent seat, since no pre-assigned seats on Air California.

This brings to mind the good old days when PSA stews wore seriously short hot pants. Aisle seats were at a premium!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 25, 2014 at 7:19 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
A brief look at airline histories shows that PanAm management prohibited in-flight liquor service until 1940. When postwar flights across the Atlantic became more regular during the late 1940's, many passengers began to appreciate the pleasures of "Irish Coffee."

Certainly inflight service became popular in the 1950's, but it varied from airline to airline. Pacific Southwest Airlines started serving in 1955, while United started serving two free drinks to first class passengers in 1956. By 1958 Delta was the only major US airline that was still "flying dry," and its management finally threw in the towel and joined the rest. A first it was only on non-stop flights between Houston and New York. Only two drinks per passenger were served -- in small bottles, with each passenger mixing their own cocktails."

So although PanAm was serving drinks on the overseas routes, and TransCanada was serving drinks in Canada in 1945, I'll go with PS in 1955 for my answer. I do remember drinks (and the 4-pack of cigarettes) on flights in the Eastern US in 1957-58, but can't remember the specifics.

Thanks for he new crop of questions!

And thanks for your answer, miniliq! However, the sources I've referenced indicate that a different airline was the first to serve alcohol on U.S. routes, and it started earlier than 1955. The airline was forced to seek liquor licenses from each state its routes passed over.

I'll supply those references as we get around to the correct answer. Please - guess again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.