Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
Very good set S2A. I'll hold back a few days - such interesting questions deserve some comments.

Thanks, WHBM! However, at the rate these questions are being answered, you may not have to hold off very long at all!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
24. In 1981 this airline operated one stop service between Honolulu and London. Name the airline, the equipment and the route.
this was Western, operating a DC-10 via ANC

... 1972 OAG...
4. These two foreign carriers enjoyed fifth freedom rights on the Chicago – Montreal route.
I am pretty confident of Air France, and for some reason I think El Al was also flying here
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... 8. What was the first foreign launch customer for a Boeing jet? What type of airplane was it?...
Lufthansa kicked off the 737 program in 1965 with its order for the 737-100
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... 12. What was U.S. Air’s first widebodied jetliner? ...
Originally Posted by jlemon
... 12. Let's go with the Boeing 767-200ER which was inherited by USAir via its acquisition of Piedmont...
To a T, Mr. L. Right on!
Aug 1989 I flew on the last PI-coded flight which was the LAX-BWI redeye operated by 767-201ER N647US
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: BA
Where to start ?

14. What was the first Asian airline to serve New York?
El Al. The got a couple of ex-USAF Constellations at the end of 1950, starting service early the next year.

7. What was the first airline to serve alcohol aboard its flights within the U.S.?
Don't know. But in Britain it was Daimler Airways in 1922 on their London to Paris route. They hired "cabin boys" (ocean liner term) who were from the Savoy Hotel in London and served a little lunch brought out from the hotel, with a nice sherry to start.

1. Air France inaugurated Concorde service in January 1976. What was the inaugural route?
Paris-Santa Maria, Azores-Rio de Janeiro. British Airways took off at the same moment with London to Bahrain.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

10. What was the first airline to fly the BAe-146?

22. Name the U.S. airline whose jets were called “Funbirds”

25. Name the only intra-state airline to have lounges aboard two different types of aircraft it operated. Identify the aircraft as well.
Good Sunday Morning All!

Glad to see the OTA&AQ remains alive and well!

Meantime, our snow and ice has finally melted away for the most part here in south Louisiana.....although the local National Weather Service office has now issued a statement forecasting another possible round of ice and snow in the LFT area by this Tuesday. We certainly are having a real winter here this season and I'm quite glad I cut all that firewood! Also interesting to note the stubborn high pressure system over the west coast of the U.S. that continues to produce mild, dry drought weather conditions (especially in California) is partly responsible for the outbreaks of Arctic air mass weather here as the polar jetstream continues to loop around the high and then dives southeast for Louisiana thus transporting strong Canadian cold fronts into our region. Heck, I may have to purchase a snow shovel!

Back to the quiz......

10. I believe this was U.K. air carrier Dan-Air although I also think that Lineas Aereas Privadas Argentinas (LAPA) may have placed the first actual order....paging WHBM! BTW, although no BAe 146 or Avro RJ aircraft remain in scheduled passenger service here in the U.S., the 146 continues to find great acceptance as an aerial firefighting air tanker operated by private contractors who are employed by the U.S. Forest Service. I also believe Neptune Aviation now operates four converted BAe 146 aircraft in this firefighting role.

22. Sure sounds like Aloha Airlines!

25. Wild guess time.....Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) with the Lockheed L-188 Electra and the L-1011 "Mother Grinning Bird"......
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl22

24. In 1981 this airline operated one stop service between Honolulu and London. Name the airline, the equipment and the route.

This was Western, operating a DC-10 via ANC

Western it was! The only way to fly (Though I think I might have preferred a First Class seat aboard BOAC's two stop VC10 back in the day...)

4. In 1972, these two foreign carriers enjoyed fifth freedom rights on the Chicago – Montreal route.

I am pretty confident of Air France, and for some reason I think El Al was also flying here

Well, you've got one of the two right!

8. What was the first foreign launch customer for a Boeing jet? What type of airplane was it?

Lufthansa kicked off the 737 program in 1965 with its order for the 737-100

Sie sind richtig, jrl22. Gut gemacht! ^^
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
Where to start ?

14. What was the first Asian airline to serve New York?

El Al. They got a couple of ex-USAF Constellations at the end of 1950, starting service early the next year.

That's right! In 1961 an El Al 707 was credited as having flown the world's longest nonstop commercial flight when it flew nonstop from New York to Tel Aviv - a distance of 5,760 miles. 53 years later, Dallas to Brisbane is considered the longest at 8,578 miles.

7. What was the first airline to serve alcohol aboard its flights within the U.S.?

Don't know. But in Britain it was Daimler Airways in 1922 on their London to Paris route. They hired "cabin boys" (ocean liner term) who were from the Savoy Hotel in London and served a little lunch brought out from the hotel, with a nice sherry to start.

That's got us beat by more than twenty years! Even after prohibition ended in 1933, it still took many more years before one could imbibe over American skies.

1. Air France inaugurated Concorde service in January 1976. What was the inaugural route?

Paris-Santa Maria, Azores-Rio de Janeiro. British Airways took off at the same moment with London to Bahrain.

Everything I've seen on the Concorde inaugural flights indicates that Air France had an intermediate stop other than Santa Maria on its service to Rio, including on the inaugural flight. At the same time, the very idea of disagreeing with you on a point of aviation history, especially one this recent, seems very much akin to tugging on Superman's cape.

So it is with considerable deference that I'll say the information I have (I checked a few different sources) indicates that it's not Santa Maria. That said, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit more to the story!
Old Jan 26, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Our snow and ice has finally melted away for the most part here in south Louisiana.....although the local National Weather Service office has now issued a statement forecasting another possible round of ice and snow in the LFT area by this Tuesday...

Just yesterday I received an email from a friend in Healy, Alaska where the temperature was in the 40s with a warm Chinook wind. So long as it doesn't rain, we're cool with this heat wave. Here at Washington Dulles it's cold and windy but otherwise nice. I'm looking forward to relocating to sunny Fresno, California later this afternoon, with a ride up the valley on the San Joaquin tomorrow.

I believe this was U.K. air carrier Dan-Air although I also think that Lineas Aereas Privadas Argentinas (LAPA) may have placed the first actual order....paging WHBM!

Right as rain! It's been 11 years since I last had the pleasure of flying on the -146. I have fond memories of my very first flight, back in 1985 from Denver to Aspen aboard an Aspen Airways 146-100 with tight 3-3 seating.

22. Name the U.S. airline whose jets were called “Funbirds”

Sure sounds like Aloha Airlines!

That sounds about right! I logged about a dozen flights with Aloha back in the 70s and 80s. Though I wouldn't describe flights aboard 737s configured with one class high density seating as "fun" per se, they were efficient and inexpensive. I just missed a chance to fly Aloha from Honolulu down to Christmas Island back in the day...

25. Name the only intra-state airline to have lounges aboard two different types of aircraft it operated. Identify the aircraft as well.

Wild guess time.....Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) with the Lockheed L-188 Electra and the L-1011 "Mother Grinning Bird".....

I figured a California kid like yourself would know this one, jlemon. (You're right, by the way!) Did you ever get a chance to fly aboard one of those lounge equipped airplanes? Also, were Air California and Holiday Airlines' Electra's equipped with lounges?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 26, 2014 at 11:53 am
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
10. Check out this website if you would like to see photos of BAe 146 firefighting air tankers operated by Neptune Aviation in action:

www.neptuneaviation.com

Neptune Aviation is based at the Missoula, MT airport (MSO).

22. At one point, Aloha had a first class cabin on their interisland B737-400 aircraft. I got upgraded one morning on a flight from Kona to Honolulu.....

25. Yes I did.....on board an L-188 Electra operated by PSA round trip LAX-SFO.

It was my first airline flight ever which means it was a very long time ago back in the early 60's when I was just a kid growing up in Pasadena in southern California. The trip was a birthday trip from my parents which enabled me to visit my Aunt and Uncle in the Bay Area. This was back when there were still railroad tracks embedded in the roadway of the lower deck of the S.F.-Oakland Bay Bridge. If memory serves me correctly, the lounge on the Electra was located in the very back of the aircraft with seats arranged in a semi circle....but again, that was a very long time ago.

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to fly on Electra equipment operated by Air California or Holiday Airlines.....although I remember seeing Air California L-188s at Orange County, and Holiday L-188s at Burbank and Lake Tahoe.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 26, 2014 at 1:02 pm Reason: Neptune Aviation link.....
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA

I believe this was U.K. air carrier Dan-Air although I also think that Lineas Aereas Privadas Argentinas (LAPA) may have placed the first actual order....paging WHBM!

Right as rain! It's been 11 years since I last had the pleasure of flying on the -146. I have fond memories of my very first flight, back in 1985 from Denver to Aspen aboard an Aspen Airways 146-100 with tight 3-3 seating.
Correct, LAPA placed the first order for the aircraft in June 1980. They got into financial difficulties before delivery.

http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPD...20-%201297.PDF

Dan-Air took the first one in May 1983. I saw it weeks later in Palma, Spain, operating a holiday charter from the UK. Compared to the costs of a 737, the seat-mile costs of a little 146-100 operating a cheapo holiday charter flight must have been way up.

The 146/RJ continues very much in use over here, and to make the point there's one powering out of London City near my house right now, as I type this, the distinctive low-pitched (but quiet) howl meaning you can identify it from the more thunderous roar of the Embraer 190, between the two they make up most of the jet operations here nowadays. Cityjet (alias "Zeetyjott" to its mostly French staff at LCY) and Swissair are the main two, but I was passing last Friday and there was an all-white one operating a charter for someone.

Ah, there goes another one now ........

Everything I've seen on the Concorde inaugural flights indicates that Air France had an intermediate stop other than Santa Maria on its service to Rio, including on the inaugural flight.
You're quite right, the intermediate stop on the earlier flights was Dakar in West Africa. I was just doing it without looking it up. Routing through SMA came later, before the Rio service was given up altogether; Rio used to be quite a popular high-end European holiday destination before one too many crimes on the beach put paid to it. Paris to Dakar needs a bit of a dogleg to get round Portugal at supersonic speeds, the Azores are more straightforward.

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 26, 2014 at 1:42 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

16. Air France was the launch customer of the A300. What was the second airline to fly the A300?...
how about Lufthansa?

...20. Name two U.S. airlines in operation before 1990 that operated an all coach fleet and later added a section marketed as Business Class (Not First Class)
I can recall PeoplExpress offering "Premium Class" when they introduced their 747s; perhaps the other was Midwest Express?

...1972 OAG
1. This was the only airline serving Westchester County Airport in White Plains, NY. It operated 8 flights each weekday.
Mohawk, with a mix of FH-227B and BAC-111 service
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Re. Inaugural Air France Concorde flight and route

Everything I've seen on the Concorde inaugural flights indicates that Air France had an intermediate stop other than Santa Maria on its service to Rio, including on the inaugural flight.

Per WHBM: You're quite right, the intermediate stop on the earlier flights was Dakar in West Africa. I was just doing it without looking it up. Routing through SMA came later, before the Rio service was given up altogether; Rio used to be quite a popular high-end European holiday destination before one too many crimes on the beach put paid to it. Paris to Dakar needs a bit of a dogleg to get round Portugal at supersonic speeds, the Azores are more straightforward.

Thanks for the detail, WHBM. It sure would've been nice to have visited Rio back when it was a safer place. Hopefully they'll pull off the World Cup without too much negative distraction.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:36 am

OK, this is my first posting to this thread, so please go easy on me!

9. I think it was Dan Air London. Dan Air also has the dubious distinction of crashing one of their 727-100s into a mountain on Tenerife in 1980, with 146 fatalities. I believe this was the worst 727-100 accident.

11. It depends on whether or not passengers were aboard. The first commercial jet crash with fatalities was a Canadian Pacific Comet at Karachi on 3 March 1953. The aircraft was on a ferry flight, and 11 crew members, but no passengers, lost their lives. The first crash with passenger fatalities was two months later, when a BOAC Comet crashed at Calcutta on 2 May 1953.

Bonus question 4:

Air France is the obvious answer. I think the other airline was Swissair.

Regarding Air France Concordes at Rio: my all time favorite scene of an airliner in the movies was in the James Bond movie "Moonraker" - Roger Moore takes the Concorde to Rio to meet up with CIA agent Dr. Holly Goodhead as they pursue Hugo Drax. The movie has footage of an Air France Concorde landing at GIG, with water vortices blowing off its wings, as a TransBrasil 727 waits to take off in the background - gorgeous!

Last edited by JoeDTW; Jan 27, 2014 at 7:53 am
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20. Name two U.S. airlines in operation before 1990 that operated an all coach fleet and later added a section marketed as Business Class (Not First Class)

21. Name two U.S. airlines operating prior to 1990 that once offered First Class but switched to an all coach configuration.
20. I'm pretty sure Hughes Airwest installed a C class section on their jet aircraft. As for the other air carrier, let's go with Muse Air.

21. TTa (which later became Texas International) initially began DC9-10 operations with a first and coach config on their aircraft. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, TT's nines had 20 seats in the front cabin. This did not last very long and the aircraft were reconfigured into an all coach config. The other airline? Wild guess time: Frontier with an F/Y config on their B727-100 aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.