Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

The airlines each got a share of this fare in proportion to their mileage, and this wasn’t tied together until the trip was done and all those paper coupons torn from inside the ticket (remember them ?) had got back to the central IATA accounting house........
Ah yes, paper tickets....specifically, hand written paper tickets.....

In the summer of 1968, Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) was running a promotion for weekend air travel. For a mere $25, one could fly domestically anywhere in their route system which at that point stretched from Albuquerque, Santa Fe and El Paso in the west to Memphis, Jackson and New Orleans in the east. Here's how it worked: you could depart first thing on Saturday morning and you then had to be on your final direct flight back to your originating airport by 6:00pm on Sunday. There were no other restrictions. One could theoretically fly as much as one wanted during the weekend.

The airline had introduced DC-9-10 aircraft into their fleet a couple of years earlier which were being operated in an all Y config in 1968 following a short lived experiment with a two class F/Y layout. The backbone of the TTa fleet back then was the Convair 600 turboprop with Rolls-Royce engines with these aircraft having been converted from CV-240s.

Only 25 bucks to fly around Texas, New Mexico, Arkansas, Louisiana and perhaps Mississippi as well! One could even visit Memphis! And on DC9 jet aircraft! Wow! I was in high school at the time and could not resist this deal. So I sat down with the TTa timetable and figured out an itinerary which consisted primarily of DC9 jet segments but also had a couple of legs on the Convair 600 as well. I then typed the whole thing up using my cheap manual typewriter. The first day of the trip was something like HOU-CRP-HRL, HRL-CRP-HOU, HOU-BTR-MSY, MSY-BTR-HOU, HOU-DAL, DAL-MAF-ROW-ABQ-SAF, SAF-ABQ-ROW-MAF-DAL, DAL-LIT, LIT-JBR-MEM, all on DC9 aircraft with the exception of the last segment which was on a CV-600.

My dear old Mom was kind enough to drive me from the Clear Lake area to Houston Hobby Airport very early one Saturday morning as I did not have my own car yet. We arrived at Hobby just after 5:30am. "Thanks Mom and see you Sunday evening!" I then approached the TTa ticket counter, plonked down my 25 bucks and presented my typed itinerary to the young ticket agent. She looked at me, looked at my itinerary and then asked, "You want to do what?" "Ah....I wish to fly around your system this weekend, ma'am....." She was a bit nonplussed and summoned her supervisor. This older gentlemen inspected my itinerary, shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't see anything wrong with this as our promotion does not limit the number of flights." He turned to me and said, "You know you need to be on your last flight back here by 6:00pm tomorrow, right?" "Yes sir, as you can see, I'll be on TT 917, your DC9 departure from Love Field at 5:40pm tomorrow." "Uh huh....." He then turned back to the young lady ticket agent. "Well, go ahead and write up all these tickets." She was not amused and took about 45 minutes to write all the tickets by hand. I then had to run down the concourse, barely making my first flight, a DC9 departure to Corpus Christi with continuing service to Harlingen in the Rio Grande Valley......

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 31, 2013 at 2:38 pm
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah yes, paper tickets....specifically, hand written paper tickets.....

In the summer of 1968, Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) was running a promotion for weekend air travel. For a mere $25, one could fly domestically anywhere in their route system which at that point stretched from Albuquerque, Santa Fe and El Paso in the west to Memphis, Jackson and New Orleans in the east. Here's how it worked: you could depart first thing on Saturday morning and you then had to be on your final direct flight back to your originating airport by 6:00pm on Sunday. There were no other restrictions. One could theoretically fly as much as one wanted during the weekend.

The airline had introduced DC-9-10 aircraft into their fleet a couple of years earlier which were being operated in an all Y config in 1968 following a short lived experiment with a two class F/Y layout. The backbone of the TTa fleet back then was the Convair 600 turboprop with Rolls-Royce engines with these aircraft having been converted from CV-240s.

Only 25 bucks to fly around Texas, New Mexico, Arkansas, Louisiana and perhaps Mississippi as well! One could even visit Memphis! And on DC9 jet aircraft! Wow! I was in high school at the time and could not resist this deal. So I sat down with the TTa timetable and figured out an itinerary which consisted primarily of DC9 jet segments but also had a couple of legs on the Convair 600 as well. I then typed the whole thing up using my cheap manual typewriter. The first day of the trip was something like HOU-CRP-HRL, HRL-CRP-HOU, HOU-BTR-MSY, MSY-BTR-HOU, HOU-DAL, DAL-MAF-ROW-ABQ-SAF, SAF-ABQ-ROW-MAF-DAL, DAL-LIT, LIT-JBR-MEM, all on DC9 aircraft with the exception of the last segment which was on a CV-600.

My dear old Mom was kind enough to drive me from the Clear Lake area to Houston Hobby Airport very early one Saturday morning as I did not have my own car yet. We arrived at Hobby just after 5:30am. "Thanks Mom and see you Sunday evening!" I then approached the TTa ticket counter, plonked down my 25 bucks and presented my typed itinerary to the young ticket agent. She looked at me, looked at my itinerary and then asked, "You want to do what?" "Ah....I wish to fly around your system this weekend, ma'am....." She was a bit nonplussed and summoned her supervisor. This older gentlemen inspected my itinerary, shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't see anything wrong with this as our promotion does not limit the number of flights." He turned to me and said, "You know you need to be on your last flight back here by 6:00pm tomorrow, right?" "Yes sir, as you can see, I'll be on TT 917, your DC9 departure from Love Field at 5:40pm tomorrow." "Uh huh....." He then turned back to the young lady ticket agent. "Well, go ahead and write up all these tickets." She was not amused and took about 45 minutes to write all the tickets by hand. I then had to run down the concourse, barely making my first flight, a DC9 departure to Corpus Christi with continuing service to Harlingen in the Rio Grande Valley......
Did the very same thing myself with a high school buddy in June of 1968 on Mohawk Airlines. $25.00 for unlimited travel across their system. Started out at Newark Airport on a Saturday morning with a Newark Star Ledger reporter and photographer present to photograph us as we boarded our first flights, the first of many on the BAC111 over that weekend to places like Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester, Washington National, Hartford etc. Got to know the flight crews well, even helped to clean out the cabin at various stops!

Worldspan
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by worldspan
Did the very same thing myself with a high school buddy in June of 1968 on Mohawk Airlines. $25.00 for unlimited travel across their system. Started out at Newark Airport on a Saturday morning with a Newark Star Ledger reporter and photographer present to photograph us as we boarded our first flights, the first of many on the BAC111 over that weekend to places like Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester, Washington National, Hartford etc. Got to know the flight crews well, even helped to clean out the cabin at various stops!

Worldspan
I never had the opportunity to fly on Mohawk.....but I would have loved to have done the same thing on board their BAC One-Eleven aircraft!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Sunday Morning All!

As we await further installments from WHBM and Seat 2A concerning possible journeys using historical airline flight data, I thought I would do something we have not done here in awhile: submit some quiz items! So here we go.....

1) Identify an airline that had the first class section on their Lockheed L-188 Electra turboprops located in the rear of the aircraft. ANSWERED

2) In 1968, noted designer Saul Bass introduced a new logo with appeared on the tails of Continental Airlines aircraft. What was this logo called? Here's a hint: it was not initially referred to as a "meatball" although this term was used afterward to describe it. Also, the original color of this logo was subsequently changed to another color, both of which appeared on gold backgrounds. What were these two colors? ANSWERED

3) Also in 1968, this airline was operating the following daily flight: AMA-OKC-TUL-FSM-LIT-MEM. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type flown on this "milk run" routing. ANSWERED

4) In 1970, this air carrier was operating weekly nonstop service between Bermuda (BDA) and Halifax (YHZ). Identify the airline and the equipment flown on the route. ANSWERED

5) In 1979, this airline was operating the following daily flight: FLL-TPA-DFW-COS-DEN-OKC. The same flight number was used. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type flown on the route. ANSWERED

6) Also in 1979, this air carrier was operating weekly nonstop service between Mexico City (MEX) and Kingston (KIN) with a wide body aircraft. Identify the airline and the aircraft. ANSWERED

7) In 1991, this airline was operating nonstop service twice a week between Houston Intercontinental (IAH) and Aruba (AUA) with wide body equipment. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

8) Identify an airline that operated nonstop DC-8 service between Montreal (YUL) and Houston Hobby (HOU). ANSWERED

9) Identify an air carrier that operated nonstop B747 service between Montreal and Houston Intercontinental. ANSWERED

10) Name an airline that ordered MD-11 aircraft but never operated the type. ANSWERED. And answered very well!

11) This airline operated not one but two different wide body aircraft types into Austin (AUS). Identify the air carrier and both aircraft. ANSWERED

12) In the fall of 1994, if one wanted to fly between Edmonton (YEG) and Cambridge Bay (YCB) in the NWT of Canada there was a choice of two airlines, both of which operated jet equipment on the route. Name both air carriers and the aircraft used. ANSWERED

13) Also in fall of 1994, if one wanted to fly in a jet from Miami (MIA) nonstop to Sarasota (SRQ), what airline would you call? And here's a hint: the equipment was a mainline jet type.

14) At one point, Cubana was operating Ilyushin IL-62 jets on transatlantic services into Havana from Europe where a technical stop for fuel was made en route. Depending on the actual westbound route, these tech stops were made at one of two different locations. Identify both. ANSWERED

15) Over the years, four different airlines operated wide body aircraft between Houston Intercontinental and Mexico City. Two of these air carriers operated just one wide body type on the route. The other two airlines flew three different wide body types between IAH and MEX at different times over the years. Identify all four air carriers and the respective wide body equipment they operated on the route. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm Reason: Answer update & additional info on 14)
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Good Sunday Morning All!

As we await further installments from WHBM and Seat 2A concerning possible journeys using historical airline flight data, I thought I would do something we have not done here in awhile: submit some quiz items! So here we go.....

1) Identify an airline that had the first class section on their Lockheed L-188 Electra turboprops located in the rear of the aircraft.
Eastern, I think Northwest also

2) In 1968, noted designer Saul Bass introduced a new logo with appeared on the tails of Continental Airlines aircraft. What was this logo called? Here's a hint: it was not initially referred to as a "meatball" although this term was used afterward to describe it. Also, the original color of this logo was subsequently changed to another color, both of which appeared on gold backgrounds. What were these two colors?..
initially black, later red

6) Also in 1979, this air carrier was operating weekly nonstop service between Mexico City (MEX) and Kingston (KIN) with a wide body aircraft. Identify the airline and the aircraft ...
pretty sure this was British Airways with a 747-236; the flight most likely continued to LHR
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl22
Eastern, I think Northwest also

initially black, later red

pretty sure this was British Airways with a 747-236; the flight most likely continued to LHR
1) Well, I'm not sure whether EA and NW did this with their Electras but will accept your answer....however, I do know that KLM Royal Dutch did so! And that's the answer I was looking for.

2) The colors are correct! But what was the logo called?

6) Correct! It was BA with a B747......
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by worldspan

Worldspan
I did this several times during my freshman year of college; it was an easy way to get back to DC from Ithaca for a weekend ... FH-227Bs in both directions, stop in Elmira; also did a couple of New York runs

the big one was returning from spring break: DCA-ELM-ITH-LGA (FH7; same flight number, my folks thought I was terminating ITH); LGA-ALB (BAC 1-11); JFK-ITH (BAC 1-11; overnight in the dorm); ITH-ELM (FH7); ELM-BGM-BOS (BAC); BOS-PVD-BDL-BUF (BAC); BUF-UCA (BAC); UCA-ITH (FH7; actually ticketed back to DCA since the rules prohibited a second stop in a destination)

also did a similar USAir "Liberty Fare" over Xmas 75/New Years 76 ... details when I get back home to check the log, but I hit every type of plane in the AL fleet)
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here's a bonus question which I neglected to include in my latest set above....

16) Several years ago while finishing up the yard work at our home here in the LFT area, I heard the distinctive sound of jet engines overhead. We were in the midst of rapidly concluding yard work ops as thunderstorms were quickly developing and I really did not want us to get struck by lightning.

So, looking up, what do I see? The unmistakable profile of an A340 flying relatively low and slow as the big Airbus was apparently trying to pick its way around the convective activity. I was just able to make out the colors and the logo on the tail of the aircraft. "Hmmm", I thought, "it can't be! What's that airliner doing over LFT?" So acting on impulse, I immediately ran into the house, powered up my laptop and took a look at live tracking on Flight Aware. I confirmed that it was indeed the airline and the flight that I thought it might be!

So.....anyone care to guess the operator of this A340 flight as well as the departure and arrival airports? Here's a hint: this was a very long range nonstop flight. And here's another hint: Houston Intercontinental (IAH) was not one of the airports served by this flight. At one point, Lufthansa was operating A340-600 flights nonstop FRA-IAH but the airliner in question was not being operated by LH. In addition, this was not an A340-600. It was a series 300 aircraft. ANSWERED

BTW, Lufthansa is currently operating the A380 between IAH and FRA on a daily basis. And yours truly is now holding reward tix in biz class on this nonstop LH service from FRA to IAH. It will be our first flight on the A380.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 8, 2013 at 10:49 am Reason: Answer status update
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
3) Also in 1968, this airline was operating the following daily flight: AMA-OKC-TUL-FSM-LIT-MEM. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type flown on this "milk run" routing.

This sure sounds like a Braniff routing. Indeed I've flown BN over every segment except AMA-OKC. As to aircraft,
I'm thinking Braniff's Electras were starting to go away about that time, so let's go with a BAC-111.

5) In 1979, this airline was operating the following daily flight: FLL-TPA-DFW-COS-DEN-OKC. The same flight number was used. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type flown on the route.

Again, this sure sounds like a Braniff routing. My first ever flight on Braniff was aboard a two-tone green 727-100 as part of a joint fare (COS BN DEN WA LAX)
connecting to a pair of Western 720Bs DEN-PHX-LAX. As to Braniff's aircraft used on this route, let's go with a 727-100.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 2, 2013 at 2:50 am
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our man in Alaska does it again! Correct on both counts, sir!

BTW, Braniff subsequently replaced their BAC One-Eleven service into FSM, LIT, MEM, TUL, OKC, AMA and elsewhere with B727-200 equipment.....
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Good Sunday Morning All!

7) In 1991, this airline was operating nonstop service twice a week between Houston Intercontinental (IAH) and Aruba (AUA) with wide body equipment. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type.
I think that was Viasa (VA) with an AB3; flight continued to CCS.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
I think that was Viasa (VA) with an AB3; flight continued to CCS.
7) Correct! And besides this A300 service, I believe Viasa had previously operated Super DC-8 (D8S) service into IAH......
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
8) Identify an airline that operated nonstop DC-8 service between Montreal (YUL) and Houston Hobby (HOU).

9) Identify an air carrier that operated nonstop B747 service between Montreal and Houston Intercontinental.
Same airline for both -- KLM -- flights originated in AMS, then YUL, IAH, and sometimes onward to MEX. The DC-8 service to HOU continued for awhile after IAH opened in mid-1969; the transition to 747 flights to IAH was in the period 19771-74 I believe.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:49 am

BTW, Lufthansa is currently operating the A380 between IAH and FRA on a daily basis. And yours truly is now holding reward tix in biz class on this nonstop LH service from FRA to IAH. It will be our first flight on the A380.
Good plan! My wife and I enjoyed the LH biz class 380 service SIN-FRA-IAH early this year and I endured an LH economy seat on the 380 JNB-FRA last year to help earn the points to make it possible. Have fun!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
Same airline for both -- KLM -- flights originated in AMS, then YUL, IAH, and sometimes onward to MEX. The DC-8 service to HOU continued for awhile after IAH opened in mid-1969; the transition to 747 flights to IAH was in the period 19771-74 I believe.
Correct with regard to both 8) and 9)! It was KLM Royal Dutch in both cases, although I was not aware that KL continued service to Hobby Airport for a time following the opening of Intercontinental. I thought all carriers had made the move from HOU to IAH and that Hobby was left without sched pax flights until WN began intrastate service in Texas.

And here's a bonus question: what was unique about KLM's B747-200 aircraft that served IAH (besides the fact that some of these flights were operated as 74M Combi pax/freight service)? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 2, 2013 at 2:47 pm Reason: Answer update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.