Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

49. Let's go for People Express.

Welcome back, WHBM!

And we have already ruled out People Express. Please guess again, sir!
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'll also join the chorus for United. I remember them operating a 747 on the SAN-LAX route (I believe they're the only airline that ever has. This might also qualify as the shortest domestic 747 flight ever) ...
SAN-LAX is 109 miles; while some of us may be able to cite a one-off like SFO-OAK, I'd think that, in over 8-1/2 years, we would have actually discussed scheduled 747 operations on short domestic segments such as:
  • JFK-BDL 103 miles
  • OGG-HNL 100 miles
  • JFK-PHL 94 miles
  • BDL-BOS 91 miles
  • PHL-BWI 90 miles
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
SAN-LAX is 109 miles; while some of us may be able to cite a one-off like SFO-OAK, I'd think that, in over 8-1/2 years, we would have actually discussed scheduled 747 operations on short domestic segments such as:
  • JFK-BDL 103 miles
  • OGG-HNL 100 miles
  • JFK-PHL 94 miles
  • BDL-BOS 91 miles
  • PHL-BWI 90 miles
To the best of my knowledge, Kahului, Maui has never had scheduled 747 service due to runway constraints at OGG.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
To the best of my knowledge, Kahului, Maui has never had scheduled 747 service due to runway constraints at OGG.
I'm not entirely sure about that. It would no doubt be a challenge to get a 747 loaded with fuel for the Mainland off of the runway at OGG but a lightly loaded 747 could easily make the OGG-HNL hop. Why, in the back of my mind, do I think that someone once operated a round-robin Mainland-OGG-HNL-Mainland 747 service?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Herb687
I'm not entirely sure about that. It would no doubt be a challenge to get a 747 loaded with fuel for the Mainland off of the runway at OGG but a lightly loaded 747 could easily make the OGG-HNL hop. Why, in the back of my mind, do I think that someone once operated a round-robin Mainland-OGG-HNL-Mainland 747 service?
I'm almost 100% certain both NW and UA operated that with DC-10s, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if either (or both) brought a 747 in at one time or another ... that said, UA *did* operate a circle route via Hilo (ITO) with a 747 from/to LAX, but ITO-HNL at 216 miles is almost double SAN-LAX
Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I base my comment on a conversation I had with an old friend and Captain with United who flew the DC-10-10 and DC-10-30 into OGG many times. I remember asking him about 747 operations at Maui and he said UA would not operate the 747 into that airfield due to technical reasons. He also stated he was not aware of any 747 operations at OGG. Besides traveling to Maui many times for fun, I also lived and worked in Honolulu at one point back when I was Director of Marketing for Mahalo Air, a scheduled interisland operator. I never saw a 747 at OGG in all my years of traveling as well as working in the islands. In addition, I have looked for 747 schedules into OGG via the OAG as well as air carrier timetables and have never seen a 747 schedule into Maui while Hilo (ITO) followed by Kona (KOA) both on the Big Island have had 747 service in the past. If you can find an airline's 747 schedule for Maui, I'd love to see it!

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 10, 2020 at 4:08 pm Reason: added ITO comment
Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I'm almost 100% certain both NW and UA operated that with DC-10s, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if either (or both) brought a 747 in at one time or another ... that said, UA *did* operate a circle route via Hilo (ITO) with a 747 from/to LAX, but ITO-HNL at 216 miles is almost double SAN-LAX
I base my comment on a conversation I had with an old friend and Captain with United who flew the DC-10-10 and DC-10-30 into OGG many times. I remember asking him about 747 operations at Maui and he said UA would not operate the 747 into that airfield due to technical reasons. He also stated he was not aware of any 747 operations at OGG. Besides traveling to Maui many times for fun, I also lived and worked in Honolulu at one point back when I was Director of Marketing for Mahalo Air, a scheduled interisland operator. I never saw a 747 at OGG in all my years of traveling as well as working in the islands. In addition, I have looked for 747 schedules into OGG via the OAG as well as air carrier timetables and have never seen a 747 schedule into Maui while Kona (KOA) on the Big Island has had 747 service in the past. If you can find an airline's 747 schedule for Maui, I'd love to see it!
It's entirely possible I've confused a different island with Maui (i.e. UA round-robins operating via the Big Island) or a DC-10 on a round-robin routing including OGG. I do know though that taking off from OGG in a 747 loaded with just enough fuel to make HNL would be a heck of a lot of fun!
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's entirely possible I've confused a different island with Maui (i.e. UA round-robins operating via the Big Island) or a DC-10 on a round-robin routing including OGG. I do know though that taking off from OGG in a 747 loaded with just enough fuel to make HNL would be a heck of a lot of fun!
I've always wondered whether the 747 was ever operated into OGG but have never been able to find any evidence of this via a published schedule. American (with the DC-10), Delta (with the L-1011), United (with the DC-10) and I believe Northwest (also with the DC-10) did operate their respective trijet wide body aircraft types between HNL and OGG as well as nonstop to the mainland.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 10, 2020 at 4:23 pm Reason: added AA & UA DC-10 comments
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
49. Identify the air carrier that ran this print ad in 1985:

ENJOY THE BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE RATED BEST TO LONDON.....FOR UP TO $1100 PER ROUND TRIP LESS THAN THE ALSO-RANS.

I don't think Air Florida would have been a consideration although its First Class service was pretty nice. Thinking of US based airlines that serve London, we haven't mentioned Northwest yet. Beyond that, I'm at a bit of a loss since I don't believe any of the all-business class airlines had started yet. So. Northwest. My final answer.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

49. Identify the air carrier that ran this print ad in 1985:

ENJOY THE BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE RATED BEST TO LONDON.....FOR UP TO $1100 PER ROUND TRIP LESS THAN THE ALSO-RANS.

I don't think Air Florida would have been a consideration although its First Class service was pretty nice. Thinking of US based airlines that serve London, we haven't mentioned Northwest yet. Beyond that, I'm at a bit of a loss since I don't believe any of the all-business class airlines had started yet. So. Northwest. My final answer.
49. Spot on, Seat 2A.....and you are correct, of course! Here's the 1985 Northwest Orient print ad....

http://www.departedflights.com/NWrat...olondon85.html

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 10, 2020 at 7:06 pm Reason: fixed link to NW ad (hopefully)....
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to two a day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers.

26. If you wanted to fly on board a Douglas DC-6 from Anchorage (ANC) in 1976, there was only one airline to call and only one route served nonstop by this aircraft with the flight only operating once a week. Name the air carrier and the destination. PARTIALLY ANSWERED - the air carrier was Reeve Aleutian. Still looking for the destination served nonstop from Anchorage and the flight in question actually operated a "triangle" routing of ANC - ___ - ___ - ANC.....and the stops were not made at King Salmon and Dillingham.

28. Also in 1976, this airline was operating a very unique service nonstop between downtown locations in New York City and Philadelphia. The flight time was just 30 minutes one way and the one way air fare was a very reasonable $15.00. Name this air carrier and the aircraft type it operated. ANSWERED

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1983......

36. You are in San Francisco and are off to Chicago for a friend's wedding. There's no rush so you book a seat on board a direct flight which operates daily and makes three stops en route from SFO to Chicago-land. Name the airline, all three stops in order, the airport you will arrive into in the Chicago area and the aircraft.

38. It's time to head out to Silicon Valley for a dinner meeting. And that means flying into San Jose (SJC). You are in Houston and have found a direct flight departing in the morning which will get you into SJC just before 1:00 pm which will give you plenty of time to prepare for your meeting. This flight will make three stops en route and operates daily. Name the airline, the airport you will depart from in the Houston area, all three stops in order and the aircraft.

39. Well, you did not do very well at the blackjack tables in Las Vegas! And you have been given an excellent reminder why you normally do not gamble. So it's time to get the heck out of town and head for Philadelphia on business. You've also decided to not wait around and that means departing from LAS at 1:00 am on board a flight which operates five days a week and makes three stops en route. At least you will be served an early breakfast prior to arriving at your first stop followed by lunch prior to landing at PHL. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1985......

46. Your meeting in Grand Rapids went extremely well and you now have a follow up lunch meeting in Los Angeles in order to get the project underway. So you're back on an airplane up front on a direct one stop flight from GRR to LAX. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

47. Well, the follow up lunch meeting in L.A. went great, too....but your new client now wants you to travel to their New Orleans office for one more meeting. No problem! You've found a daily direct flight from LAX to MSY which will make two stops en route and arrive in the Crescent City in time for you to have dinner in the French Quarter. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED

48. Now you are in Palm Beach where you've been inspecting a sailboat that's for sale. This catamaran is in excellent shape and you are ready to do the deal. "Ah, there's just one little catch," says the broker you've been working with. "The owner is in San Diego and you will have to meet personally with him in order to complete the transaction." So you're now on a morning flight out of West Palm Beach which will make three stops before arriving into SAN in time for an afternoon meeting with the owner of the boat. Name the airline, all three stops in order and the equipment. PARTIALLY ANSWERED - The aircraft was a Boeing 727 as the air carrier in question only operated the B727-100 and B727-200. It wasn't TWA, Eastern or American and stops were not made at TPA, STL, ONT, MCO, ATL or PHX.

I truly hope everyone continues to be well!
Still looking for answers to the above......

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 12, 2020 at 5:03 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
49. Spot on, Seat 2A.....and you are correct, of course! Here's the 1985 Northwest Orient print ad....

NWratedbesttolondon85
Winner by elimination, I'm afraid. There weren't a lot (if any) options left. Good question!

BTW, there are video clips of 747s having landed/taken off out of OGG but, like you, I've seen no evidence of regularly scheduled service into OGG
Old Apr 11, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, there are video clips of 747s having landed/taken off out of OGG but, like you, I've seen no evidence of regularly scheduled service into OGG
Well, that's interesting! Do you recall the airline?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

47. (1985) Well, the follow up lunch meeting in L.A. went great, too....but your new client now wants you to travel to their New Orleans office for one more meeting. No problem! You've found a daily direct flight from LAX to MSY which will make two stops en route and arrive in the Crescent City in time for you to have dinner in the French Quarter. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft.
47- in keeping with the Quiz paradigm of less obvious candidates, let’s try Muse Air with a DC-9-50, stopping at Austin (AUS) and Houston Hobby (HOU)

48. (1985) Now you are in Palm Beach where you've been inspecting a sailboat that's for sale. This catamaran is in excellent shape and you are ready to do the deal. "Ah, there's just one little catch," says the broker you've been working with. "The owner is in San Diego and you will have to meet personally with him in order to complete the transaction." So you're now on a morning flight out of West Palm Beach which will make three stops before arriving into SAN in time for an afternoon meeting with the owner of the boat. Name the airline, all three stops in order and the equipment.
48- I’m thinking that the first stop was not too far from PBI, the second was the airline’s hub, and the third was not too far from SAN

more than a few airlines ran intra-Florida segments; I flew on a TWA 72S TPA-PBI in Mar 83, so I’ll start with that ... Tampa as the first stop, followed by St. Louis (STL) and Ontario (ONT) (since I flew their mid-day L-1011 LAX-SAN trip at least once in the mid-1980s)
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

47- in keeping with the Quiz paradigm of less obvious candidates, let’s try Muse Air with a DC-9-50, stopping at Austin (AUS) and Houston Hobby (HOU)

48- I’m thinking that the first stop was not too far from PBI, the second was the airline’s hub, and the third was not too far from SAN

more than a few airlines ran intra-Florida segments; I flew on a TWA 72S TPA-PBI in Mar 83, so I’ll start with that ... Tampa as the first stop, followed by St. Louis (STL) and Ontario (ONT) (since I flew their mid-day L-1011 LAX-SAN trip at least once in the mid-1980s)
47. Nope, it wasn't Muse Air, the aircraft wasn't a DC9-50 and the first stop wasn't Austin. However, the second stop was Houston Hobby (HOU).

48. Nope, it wasn't TWA and stops were not made at TPA, STL or ONT. And as for the equipment, the airline in question flew both the B727-100 and the B727-200 with the specific type operated on this flight not identified in their timetable. So we can safely say the aircraft was a Boeing 727 as the air carrier we are looking for only operated B727-100 and B727-200 aircraft.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 11, 2020 at 6:13 pm Reason: clarification concerning # 48

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.