Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Now that I've actually managed an internet connection, let's see if it'll hold long enough to answer a couple of questions...

27. It's still 1976 and you are in Valdez, Alaska where you have just completed a consulting project concerning the Trans-Alaska Pipeline marine terminal located at the Port of Valdez. Now it's time to take a break and you are off to Honolulu in order to rendezvous with a sailboat for a journey to the north shore of Kauai. You will be traveling on two airlines with each air carrier operating a nonstop flight and you will have a leisurely three hours and forty five minutes to make your connection. Identify both airlines, the connecting airport and the equipment operated by each air carrier.

Well now, I was in Alaska back in 1976 and I also bought a ticket from Anchorage to Honolulu in May of that year. I did not however take the nonstop but instead routed through Seattle and Portland using an Alaska to Continental joint fare. However, getting back to the question at hand, I know Alaska used to operate a 727 from Anchorage into Valdez, most likely due to the increased passenger and freight traffic associated with the pipeline project. Meanwhile, back in the 1970s Western was the only way to fly between Anchorage and Honolulu, most likely using a 720B (Single class 707-347s also plied this route depending upon the time of year). So then, we'll go with Alaska using a 727-100 up to Anchorage connecting to Western's 720B down to Honolulu.

I see dfw88 has submitted his answer ahead of mine, so all credit goes to him except for the DC-10 which didn't see service on the ANC-HNL route until the late 1970s

29. Fill in the blanks concerning the airline that ran this print ad in 1979:

____(airline)____: New, un-squeezed way to Europe. We won't put the squeeze on you. All other airlines flying to Scotland and Scandinavia have squeezed an extra seat into every row in Economy Class on their 747s. You get narrower seats, narrower armrests. You can get that squeezed-in feeling. But ____(airline)____ isn't adding seats. We give you wider seats, wider armrests. More comfort.

Scandinavia was the giveaway for me. I'm thinking this has gotta be Northwest Orient. Though I never flew on them to Europe, I do remember logging my first flight aboard their DC-10 in October of 1979 between Chicago and Minneapolis. It was a year into deregulation and most airlines were converting the once spacious 2-4-2 seating in their DC-10s and L-1011s to the more cramped 2-5-2 configuration. Northwest was the lone holdout - at least until the early 1980s. So - let's go with Northwest.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 7, 2020 at 2:34 pm
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by dfw88
I'll get the bidding started on this one with an Alaska 727 to ANC followed by a Western... did they have their DC-10s by then? Let's give it a try.
27. Yep, Alaska Airlines to Anchorage and then Western Airlines to Honolulu are both correct! AS operated jet service at one point between Valdez and Anchorage and the aircraft was a B727-100. However, the equipment flown by WA between ANC and HNL wasn't a DC-10 at this time. Please guess again!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
44- okay, who else might have run a D9S into YUL? Delta would have gone thru ATL, so it's either Republic or US Air

RC wasn't known for many flights that made a ~90-degree change of direction at Detroit (DTW-YUL would have more likely been the continuation of an eastbound trip across the upper midwest than one coming up from MEM); US from Pittsburgh (PIT) doesn't seem unreasonable (since my first thought of MEM-PIT-PHL-YUL is no longer viable), and since I vaguely remember they operated MEM-PIT via Nashville (BNA) at one point, I'll offer that as the first stop
44. USAir is correct! However, this flight did not stop in Nashville but it did stop in Pittsburgh.....and PIT was the first stop. So we continue to look for the second stop and await the tap-in.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Now that I've actually managed an internet connection, let's see if it'll hold long enough to answer a couple of questions...

27. It's still 1976 and you are in Valdez, Alaska where you have just completed a consulting project concerning the Trans-Alaska Pipeline marine terminal located at the Port of Valdez. Now it's time to take a break and you are off to Honolulu in order to rendezvous with a sailboat for a journey to the north shore of Kauai. You will be traveling on two airlines with each air carrier operating a nonstop flight and you will have a leisurely three hours and forty five minutes to make your connection. Identify both airlines, the connecting airport and the equipment operated by each air carrier.

Well now, I was in Alaska back in 1976 and I also bought a ticket from Anchorage to Honolulu in May of that year. I did not however take the nonstop but instead routed through Seattle and Portland using an Alaska to Continental joint fare. However, getting back to the question at hand, I know Alaska used to operate a 727 from Anchorage into Valdez, most likely due to the increased passenger and freight traffic associated with the pipeline project. Meanwhile, back in the 1970s Western was the only way to fly between Anchorage and Honolulu, most likely using a 720B (Single class 707-347s also plied this route depending upon the time of year). So then, we'll go with Alaska using a 727-100 up to Anchorage connecting to Western's 720B down to Honolulu.

I see dfw88 has submitted his answer ahead of mine, so all credit goes to him except for the DC-10 which didn't see service on the ANC-HNL route until the late 1970s

29. Fill in the blanks concerning the airline that ran this print ad in 1979:

____(airline)____: New, un-squeezed way to Europe. We won't put the squeeze on you. All other airlines flying to Scotland and Scandinavia have squeezed an extra seat into every row in Economy Class on their 747s. You get narrower seats, narrower armrests. You can get that squeezed-in feeling. But ____(airline)____ isn't adding seats. We give you wider seats, wider armrests. More comfort.

Scandinavia was the giveaway for me. I'm thinking this has gotta be Northwest Orient. Though I never flew on them to Europe, I do remember logging my first flight aboard their DC-10 in October of 1979 between Chicago and Minneapolis. It was a year into deregulation and most airlines were converting the once spacious 2-4-2 seating in their DC-10s and L-1011s to the more cramped 2-5-2 configuration. Northwest was the lone holdout - at least until the early 1980s. So - let's go with Northwest.
Welcome back, Seat 2A!

27. As we already know per the correct guess from dfw88, Alaska Airlines was operating a B727-100 between Valdez and Anchorage with Western operating nonstop service between Anchorage and Honolulu. And you are also right on track here as well concerning Western with exception of the equipment operated nonstop by WA between Anchorage and Honolulu as it wasn't a Boeing 720B....but you have also mentioned the Boeing 707 (OAG code "B3J") and that's what WA was operating its ANC - HNL service with at this time. Plus, you are also spot on concerning the class of service on this Western flight as this aircraft was indeed in an all-coach configuration. Here are the scheds.....

AS 73: Valdez (VDZ) 12:20p - 1:00p Anchorage (ANC)
Freq: Daily except Tuesdays
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 727

Connecting to.....

WA 741: Anchorage (ANC) 4:45p - 10:33p Honolulu (HNL)
Freq: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays only
Service class: Y
Meal service: Dinner
Equip: B3J

Valdez only had Alaska Airlines jet service for awhile back in the mid 1970's during construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline and the associated marine terminal at the Port of Valdez. Then my old former employer Era Aviation, which was based in Anchorage at the time, began code sharing service on behalf of AS with a de Havilland Canada DHC-7 Dash 7 between ANC and VDZ thus replacing the 727 service. Era subsequently replaced the Dash 7 with a Convair 580 being operated on the route via the code sharing agreement with AS.

29. Correct! Here's the Northwest Orient print ad from 1979....

NWunsqueezed79

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 7, 2020 at 3:53 pm
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
44. USAir is correct! However, this flight did not stop in Nashville but it did stop in Pittsburgh.....and PIT was the first stop. So we continue to look for the second stop and await the tap-in.
44- well, we know it wasn't PHL; Delta had the legacy Northeast route from Boston; Eastern and Air Canada had LaGuardia and JFK ... perhaps Newark (EWR)? otherwise I see a guessing game with five options, four of which are in a fairly straight east-to-west line
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

44- well, we know it wasn't PHL; Delta had the legacy Northeast route from Boston; Eastern and Air Canada had LaGuardia and JFK ... perhaps Newark (EWR)? otherwise I see a guessing game with five options, four of which are in a fairly straight east-to-west line
44. Cross Newark (EWR) off the list!
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
44- heading north(ish) from EWR to the city that isn't in the line of four ... Hartford (BDL)?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

44- heading north(ish) from EWR to the city that isn't in the line of four ... Hartford (BDL)?
44. Nope! I'd be heading west.....
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

44- well then, let's go thru the four from west to east (which is also in descending order of size) ... Buffalo (BUF)
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

44- well then, let's go thru the four from west to east (which is also in descending order of size) ... Buffalo (BUF)
44. Nope! But you're almost there......
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Tapping In

44. Nope! I'd be heading west.....
I started to think of Syracuse, but decided on:

Hopkins Airport out of Cleveland
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I started to think of Syracuse, but decided on:

Hopkins Airport out of Cleveland
44. Yep! Here's the sched.....

AL 236: Memphis (MEM) 12:25p - 2:55p Pittsburgh (PIT) 3:50p - 4:28p Cleveland (CLE) 4:55p - 6:13p Montreal (YUL)
Freq: Daily
Service class: S
Meal service: Snack MEM-PIT
Equip: D9S
Note: USAir was still using the two letter "AL" code formerly used by Allegheny Airlines at this time
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
34. You are in Eugene, Oregon and need to travel to Atlanta. Ah, here's a direct, one stop flight which operates daily. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft.
This one shouldn't be too difficult since most of the majors weren't in EUG at the time, and most of the regionals there didn't also fly to ATL. I've got a couple ideas, but let's start with a United 727 via DEN.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
This one shouldn't be too difficult since most of the majors weren't in EUG at the time, and most of the regionals there didn't also fly to ATL. I've got a couple ideas, but let's start with a United 727 via DEN.
36. You're off to a great start as Denver was indeed the stop. However, the air carrier in question wasn't United and the equipment wasn't a B727-100.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to two quiz items a day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here.

26. If you wanted to fly on board a Douglas DC-6 from Anchorage (ANC) in 1976, there was only one airline to call and only one route served nonstop by this aircraft with the flight only operating once a week. Name the air carrier and the destination. PARTIALLY ANSWERED - the air carrier was Reeve Aleutian. Still looking for the destination served nonstop from Anchorage and the flight in question actually operated a "triangle" routing of ANC - ___ - ___ - ANC.

28. Also in 1976, this airline was operating a very unique service nonstop between downtown locations in New York City and Philadelphia. The flight time was just 30 minutes one way and the one way air fare was a very reasonable $15.00. Name this air carrier and the aircraft type it operated.

30. You are in New York City in 1979 and are off to Merida, Mexico. You've found a direct, one stop flight that operates five days a week. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from in the New York area, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

32. In 1981, this airline was operating one flight a week from Calgary to Montego Bay, Jamaica with one stop being made en route. Identify the air carrier, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED - Air Canada operating a B727-200 YYC - YWG - MBJ

The next six quiz items all have a time line of 1983.....

34. You are in Eugene, Oregon and need to travel to Atlanta. Ah, here's a direct, one stop flight which operates daily. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft. ANSWERED

35. You've had a wonderful time visiting with friends on the north shore of Lake Tahoe when you receive a message just after dinner requesting your presence at a 4:00 pm meeting in Hartford the next afternoon. A quick bit of research reveals a surprise in the form of a daily flight departing Reno just before midnight which will get you into Hartford the next day just before 2:00 pm. Three stops will be made en route and first class is available. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

36. You are in San Francisco and are off to Chicago for a friend's wedding. There's no rush so you book a seat on board a direct flight which operates daily and makes three stops en route from SFO to Chicago-land. Name the airline, all three stops in order, the airport you will arrive into in the Chicago area and the aircraft.

37. Now you are in Los Angeles and are off to Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina. You'd rather not make a connection and are in luck as you've found a daily direct flight from LAX to a city near the park which will make two stops en route. Better yet, first class is available. Identify the air carrier, both stops, the city you will arrive into and the equipment. ANSWERED - Delta operating an L-1011 LAX - DFW - ATL - TYS

38. It's time to head out to Silicon Valley for a dinner meeting. And that means flying into San Jose (SJC). You are in Houston and have found a direct flight departing in the morning which will get you into SJC just before 1:00 pm which will give you plenty of time to prepare for your meeting. This flight will make three stops en route and operates daily. Name the airline, the airport you will depart from in the Houston area, all three stops in order and the aircraft.

39. Well, you did not do very well at the blackjack tables in Las Vegas! And you have been given an excellent reminder why you normally do not gamble. So it's time to get the heck out of town and head for Philadelphia on business. You've also decided to not wait around and that means departing from LAS at 1:00 am on board a flight which operates five days a week and makes three stops en route. At least you will be served an early breakfast prior to arriving at your first stop followed by lunch prior to landing at PHL. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.

40. Now you are in Denver in 1984 and are off to Fairbanks in the front cabin. This flight operates six days a week and makes two stops en route with both breakfast and lunch being served. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED

The next four quiz items all have a time line of 1985.....

42. Time to head back to Honolulu! You are in San Diego and have found a very convenient flight which departs SAN during the late morning and arrives into HNL in time for dinner with friends. This service operates daily and makes one stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

46. Your meeting in Grand Rapids went extremely well and you now have a follow up lunch meeting in Los Angeles in order to get the project underway. So you're back on an airplane up front on a direct one stop flight from GRR to LAX. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.

47. Well, the follow up lunch meeting in L.A. went great, too....but your new client now wants you to travel to their New Orleans office for one more meeting. No problem! You've found a daily direct flight from LAX to MSY which will make two stops en route and arrive in the Crescent City in time for you to have dinner in the French Quarter. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft.

48. Now you are in Palm Beach where you've been inspecting a sailboat that's for sale. This catamaran is in excellent shape and you are ready to do the deal. "Ah, there's just one little catch," says the broker you've been working with. "The owner is in San Diego and you will have to meet personally with him in order to complete the transaction." So you're now on a morning flight out of West Palm Beach which will make three stops before arriving into SAN in time for an afternoon meeting with the owner of the boat. Name the airline, all three stops in order and the equipment.

49. Identify the air carrier that ran this print ad in 1985:

ENJOY THE BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE RATED BEST TO LONDON.....FOR UP TO $1100 PER ROUND TRIP LESS THAN THE ALSO-RANS.

ANSWERED - Northwest Orient

I truly hope everyone continues to be well!
Rolling right along here......

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 10, 2020 at 7:03 pm Reason: answer updates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.