Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
26. If you wanted to fly on board a Douglas DC-6 from Anchorage (ANC) in 1976, there was only one airline to call and only one route served nonstop by this aircraft with the flight only operating once a week. Name the air carrier and the destination. PARTIALLY ANSWERED- the air carrier was Reeve Aleutian. Still looking for the destination served nonstop from Anchorage and the flight in question actually operated a "triangle" routing of ANC - ___ - ___ - ANC.
Complete guess work.....
King Salmon AKN
Dillingham DLG
for the missing stops.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:19 pm

28. Also in 1976, this airline was operating a very unique service nonstop between downtown locations in New York City and Philadelphia. The flight time was just 30 minutes one way and the one way air fare was a very reasonable $15.00. Name this air carrier and the aircraft type it operated.
As downtown locations are mentioned, could this be something like a helicopter airline?

New York Airways

Sikorsky S-61
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Complete guess work.....
King Salmon AKN
Dillingham DLG
for the missing stops.
26. And they are great guesses! But, unfortunately, the two stops are not King Salmon and Dillingham.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 11, 2020 at 6:13 pm
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
As downtown locations are mentioned, could this be something like a helicopter airline?

New York Airways

Sikorsky S-61
28. Yet another very plausible guess! However, the small commuter airline in question was not operating a helicopter on this unique service; thus, it wasn't New York Airways operating a Sikorsky S-61.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
48. ... the airline in question flew both the B727-100 and the B727-200 with the specific type operated on this flight not identified in their timetable.
48- a timetable that didn’t distinguish between a 727 and a 72S makes me think of American or (more likely) Eastern ... so in keeping with the theme of a short first segment en route to the hub, the first stop might have been Orlando (MCO) followed by Atlanta (ATL)

now if memory serves, EA briefly extended one of their ATL-Phoenix trips to SoCal, so I’m guessing the complete routing here was PBI-MCO-ATL-PHX-SAN
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
47. Nope, it wasn't Muse Air, the aircraft wasn't a DC9-50 and the first stop wasn't Austin. However, the second stop was Houston Hobby (HOU).
A Southwest 737 would be a little bit too obvious so I will guess the rare Southwest 727 (I think all the ones they leased were -200s) operating LAX-PHX-HOU-MSY.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
46. Your meeting in Grand Rapids went extremely well and you now have a follow up lunch meeting in Los Angeles in order to get the project underway. So you're back on an airplane up front on a direct one stop flight from GRR to LAX. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.

This could be just about anything - United via ORD or DEN, Northwest via MSP ... Still, I'm betting you're going for something out of the ordinary here. When I think of Michigan, I think of how well served it was by Piedmont Airlines, so let's try Piedmont on a stretch 727 routing through Dayton.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
28. Also in 1976, this airline was operating a very unique service nonstop between downtown locations in New York City and Philadelphia. The flight time was just 30 minutes one way and the one way air fare was a very reasonable $15.00. Name this air carrier and the aircraft type it operated. It wasn't New York Airways operating a Sikorsky S-61 and the small commuter airline which operated this unique service was not operating a helicopter.
28- I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the airline, but I vaguely recall a service with DHC-6 Twin Otter floatplanes ... something like “Downtown Air” perhaps?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:42 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
28. Also in 1976, this airline was operating a very unique service nonstop between downtown locations in New York City and Philadelphia. The flight time was just 30 minutes one way and the one way air fare was a very reasonable $15.00. Name this air carrier and the aircraft type it operated. It wasn't New York Airways operating a Sikorsky S-61 and the small commuter airline which operated this unique service was not operating a helicopter.

Originally Posted by jrl767
28- I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the airline, but I vaguely recall a service with DHC-6 Twin Otter floatplanes ... something like “Downtown Air” perhaps?
I will tap in with the name of the airline as Seaplane Shuttle Transport
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

48- a timetable that didn’t distinguish between a 727 and a 72S makes me think of American or (more likely) Eastern ... so in keeping with the theme of a short first segment en route to the hub, the first stop might have been Orlando (MCO) followed by Atlanta (ATL)

now if memory serves, EA briefly extended one of their ATL-Phoenix trips to SoCal, so I’m guessing the complete routing here was PBI-MCO-ATL-PHX-SAN
48. It wasn't Eastern and stops were not made at MCO, ATL or PHX.....and while we're at it, we can rule out American as well.

And please note the air carrier in question only operated the 727 and 72S.....

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 12, 2020 at 9:16 am
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
A Southwest 737 would be a little bit too obvious so I will guess the rare Southwest 727 (I think all the ones they leased were -200s) operating LAX-PHX-HOU-MSY.
47. Southwest operating a B727-200 is correct! However, this flight did not stop in Phoenix.....and we await the tap-in.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
46. Your meeting in Grand Rapids went extremely well and you now have a follow up lunch meeting in Los Angeles in order to get the project underway. So you're back on an airplane up front on a direct one stop flight from GRR to LAX. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.

This could be just about anything - United via ORD or DEN, Northwest via MSP ... Still, I'm betting you're going for something out of the ordinary here. When I think of Michigan, I think of how well served it was by Piedmont Airlines, so let's try Piedmont on a stretch 727 routing through Dayton.
46. Piedmont is correct! Here's the sched....

PI 3: Grand Rapids (GRR) 6:55a - 7:39a Dayton (DAY) 8:20a - 9:55a Los Angeles (LAX)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Breakfast DAY-LAX
Equip: B727-200

And Happy Easter to one and all!

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 12, 2020 at 9:09 am
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

28. Yep, this service was operated with a de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter seaplane....but the name of the commuter air carrier wasn't Downtown Air.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post

I will tap in with the name of the airline as Seaplane Shuttle Transport
28. Correct! Here's a brochure for Seaplane Shuttle Transport (SST) which operated DHC-6 seaplane service between downtown or midtown New York City and downtown Philadelphia:

http//:Seaplane Shutle Transport - SST
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
49. Spot on, Seat 2A.....and you are correct, of course! Here's the 1985 Northwest Orient print ad....

NWratedbesttolondon85
This is a "who would have thunk" answer for me. Flew NW's BC product a year earlier (BOS-LGW) and it was the most miserable BC of the mid '80s of the very few that I experienced). Seating was 8 abreast and while nominally the same as CX's Marco Polo BC product, seats were more like a poor economy plus of today. Maybe NW upped its game a year later. PA had a much better BC hard product later that same year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.