Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by teddybear99
1977:

TB2. You are on vacation in Singapore when you receive a telegram from your brother that your mom has taken ill in London. It is Thursday morning and you need to get home by Friday noon because the hospital does not allow visitors over the weekend. You find an airline that has a connecting flight that leaves at 3:15 pm and will arrive around 7:30 am on Friday. You will have a one-stop flight to the airline’s hub and an additional one-stop flight to London. Turns out you will be on the same plane even though they are different flight numbers as the airline has only one 4 engine plane it is leasing for International flights. Name the airline, equipment, the hub, and stops on each flight to/from the hub.
Here's an interesting one. Airline with only one 4-engined jet (leased), but a network stretching from Singapore to London.

Let's try Biman, running Singapore-Bangkok-Dhaka, and then Dhaka-Abu Dhabi-London. Leased 707 from whoever, they used to change their supplier every few months.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:03 am

TB2. You are on vacation in Singapore when you receive a telegram from your brother that your mom has taken ill in London. It is Thursday morning and you need to get home by Friday noon because the hospital does not allow visitors over the weekend. You find an airline that has a connecting flight that leaves at 3:15 pm and will arrive around 7:30 am on Friday. You will have a one-stop flight to the airline’s hub and an additional one-stop flight to London. Turns out you will be on the same plane even though they are different flight numbers as the airline has only one 4 engine plane it is leasing for International flights. Name the airline, equipment, the hub, and stops on each flight to/from the hub.
Could it be Air Ceylon with a VC10 leased from Gulf Air? They only had it for a couple of months though, starting late 1977.
The Singapore airport would have been Paya Lebar then; Changi didn't open until 1981.

More guess work on the stops.
SIN-Jakarta-Colombo, then Rome on the way to London-Heathrow.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
TB4. You are in Miami and have received a telegram from a lady you met asking to come visit her in Guatemala. You did not expect to take a diversion from the beaches in Miami, so you cannot afford to spend too much, but the lady is someone you can see being your future wife. You find an airline that will cost you US$280 round trip with a one stop-itinerary MIA-GUA flying on a three-engine jet that only has MIA as its only destination in the USA. Name the airline, equipment and the one stop enroute to GUA.
TB4- I saw "three-engine jet that only has MIA as its only US destination" and could not think of an airline besides Cubana that operated the TU-154 in the Americas ... so "only US destination" must refer to the airline ... how about LANICA, who had recently replaced their Convair 880 fleet with the 727-100, via Managua (MGA)
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
TB3. Again, you are in Asia as you have a craving for real Sushi, so you decided to visit Tokyo for a few days. You want to get home to London but feel like taking an airline you never thought of taking before. You found an airline that has a 4-engine jet that leaves close to midday, makes a stop at its hub, and arrives after dinner time in London. You want to sit close to the front of the plane as it can get very noisy behind the wing. Name the airline, equipment flown, and the hub stop you will make enroute.

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Hint says it is a rear-engine a/c but doubt it was a VC-10 so it must have been a IL-62. Operator: Аэрофлот via SVO.
Correct

Aeroflot Departed Tokyo at 1300, arrived Moscow at 1550, departed 1730 arrived London Heathrow at 1920.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
While we wait for Seat 2A to post a new batch of questions, I would like to take a chance of stumping the crowd with four of my own:

TB1. It’s 1974, you and your newlywed wife just finished up your Honeymoon at Niagara Falls and need to get back to Cincinnati because you have to get back to work. You found a two-stop itinerary on a small jet that you haven’t flown before. Name the airline, type of jet, and the two stops you will pass through going home.
Just taking a stab here but maybe Allegheny on an ex-Mohawk BAC 1-11. I will assume that we're departing from the US side of the Falls.
AL BUF-ERI-PIT-CVG B11

(Although "small" jet has me wondering if there was some obscure operator flying something more commonly used as a business jet into Sunken Lunken instead of Northern Kentucky... But will stick with the AL guess for now.)
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good morning, gang! The word is that some improvements have been made to our community based internet set-up out here, and not a minute too soon! I do indeed have a few questions ready to go, but first thanks to jrl767 for his submissions, and thanks also to teddybear99 for his interesting batch. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we'd love to see more from you, TB.

TB4. You are in Miami and have received a telegram from a lady you met asking to come visit her in Guatemala. You did not expect to take a diversion from the beaches in Miami, so you cannot afford to spend too much, but the lady is someone you can see being your future wife. You find an airline that will cost you US$280 round trip with a one stop-itinerary MIA-GUA flying on a three-engine jet that only has MIA as its only destination in the USA. Name the airline, equipment and the one stop enroute to GUA.

Any chance this might be SAHSA (Stay At Home, Stay Alive) which operated a three holer or two. Routing might have been Miami - Tegucigalpa - Guatemala City
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
Here's an interesting one. Airline with only one 4-engined jet (leased), but a network stretching from Singapore to London.

Let's try Biman, running Singapore-Bangkok-Dhaka, and then Dhaka-Abu Dhabi-London. Leased 707 from whoever, they used to change their supplier every few months.
Mostly Correct

Biman Bangladesh is correct Singapore-Bangkok-Dhaka
The connecting city is close but it was not Abu-Dhabi
The 707 was leased from British Caledonian.

Last edited by teddybear99; Apr 28, 2020 at 2:22 pm Reason: corrected the color
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by KT550
Could it be Air Ceylon with a VC10 leased from Gulf Air? They only had it for a couple of months though, starting late 1977.
The Singapore airport would have been Paya Lebar then; Changi didn't open until 1981.

More guess work on the stops.
SIN-Jakarta-Colombo, then Rome on the way to London-Heathrow.
Sorry, WHBM has it mostly correct, see if you can tap in with the missing information
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
TB4- I saw "three-engine jet that only has MIA as its only US destination" and could not think of an airline besides Cubana that operated the TU-154 in the Americas ... so "only US destination" must refer to the airline ... how about LANICA, who had recently replaced their Convair 880 fleet with the 727-100, via Managua (MGA)
Correct

The flight departed at 7 am, arrived in Managua an hour and 20 minutes later at 7:20 (time change) and reached its final destination at 10 am
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Good morning, gang! The word is that some improvements have been made to our community based internet set-up out here, and not a minute too soon! I do indeed have a few questions ready to go, but first thanks to jrl767 for his submissions, and thanks also to teddybear99 for his interesting batch. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we'd love to see more from you, TB.

Any chance this might be SAHSA (Stay At Home, Stay Alive) which operated a three holer or two. Routing might have been Miami - Tegucigalpa - Guatemala City
Incorrect,

jrl767 got it right, see above
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:21 pm

TB1. It’s 1974, you and your newlywed wife just finished up your Honeymoon at Niagara Falls and need to get back to Cincinnati because you have to get back to work. You found a two-stop itinerary on a small jet that you haven’t flown before. Name the airline, type of jet, and the two stops you will pass through going home.

Originally Posted by Herb687
Just taking a stab here but maybe Allegheny on an ex-Mohawk BAC 1-11. I will assume that we're departing from the US side of the Falls.
AL BUF-ERI-PIT-CVG B11

(Although "small" jet has me wondering if there was some obscure operator flying something more commonly used as a business jet into Sunken Lunken instead of Northern Kentucky... But will stick with the AL guess for now.)
Partially Correct

Allegheny and the BAC1-11 are correct, but the 2 stops are incorrect, please try again
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:29 pm

Sorry, WHBM has it mostly correct, see if you can tap in with the missing information
Dubai for the stop en-route, making it DAC-DXB-LHR.

I think Biman already had at least three of their own 707s by 1977 - S2-ABN, S2-ABQ and S2-ACA

Last edited by KT550; Apr 28, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by KT550
Dubai for the stop en-route, making it DAC-DXB-LHR.

I think Biman already had at least two of their own 707s by 1977 - S2-ABN and S2-ABQ

And KT550 with the tap-in and the win.

As I looked at the schedule, it is possible they got a second plane, but my research does not show the acquisition dates.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

Partially Correct

Allegheny and the BAC1-11 are correct, but the 2 stops are incorrect, please try again
I flew an Allegheny One-Eleven on both of these segments in the 1974-75 timeframe, but I'm not sure they strung them together on a single flight with CVG at the end ... how about Cleveland (CLE) and Dayton (DAY)
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
TB3. Again, you are in Asia as you have a craving for real Sushi, so you decided to visit Tokyo for a few days. You want to get home to London but feel like taking an airline you never thought of taking before. You found an airline that has a 4-engine jet that leaves close to midday, makes a stop at its hub, and arrives after dinner time in London. You want to sit close to the front of the plane as it can get very noisy behind the wing. Name the airline, equipment flown, and the hub stop you will make enroute.

Correct

Aeroflot Departed Tokyo at 1300, arrived Moscow at 1550, departed 1730 arrived London Heathrow at 1920.
What was typical Japan <=> western Europe routing in those days? Via ANC? IIRC, most airlines (with JL as an exception and S another one?) chose to avoid flying over the USSR and PRC so there must have been long diversions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.