Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jrl767
getting closer ...
IAH is correct as the stop before LAS, but it was not the connecting point
D9S is incorrect (I don’t recall Eastern running any Nines west of Texas, so this also eliminates the Series 50 from consideration)
I also don't remember seeing EA DC-9s out west but since 727 was wrong I couldn't picture an EA Airbus or L-1011 flying to Reno. So perhaps "727" was only wrong in so far as it designated a -100?

Revised guess:
AB3 ATL-MSY
72S MSY-IAH-LAS-RNO
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Herb687
I also don't remember seeing EA DC-9s out west but since 727 was wrong I couldn't picture an EA Airbus or L-1011 flying to Reno. So perhaps "727" was only wrong in so far as it designated a -100?

Revised guess:
AB3 ATL-MSY
72S MSY-IAH-LAS-RNO
MSY is incorrect
72S is correct
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
On question 34, I am going to guess that the routing would be through Florida and since Disney was a major destination for them as they sponsored the "If you had wings" ride in Tomorrowland, they had large planes going there from Atlanta, their hub, like AB3's and L-1011's as well as 727's and DC-9's.

So my guess will be the Connection was made at MCO.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by teddybear99
On question 34, I am going to guess that the routing would be through Florida and since Disney was a major destination for them as they sponsored the "If you had wings" ride in Tomorrowland, they had large planes going there from Atlanta, their hub, like AB3's and L-1011's as well as 727's and DC-9's.

So my guess will be the Connection was made at MCO.
tb99 for the tap-in

MCO is correct
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:34 pm

37A: Now you’re headed to a project kickoff in Galveston. Oops, not so fast ... after returning your rental car at Knoxville‘s McGhee Tyson airport, you notice the dreaded “See Agent” notation on the departures board line for your 410pm flight, as well as the next two for your connecting city. The counter agent says severe thunderstorms will cause rolling delays for the rest of the afternoon and evening, and offers you a routing through a different airport at 642pm that will put you into Houston at midnight. Once again, your pocket OAG comes to the rescue, revealing a 715pm connection on a different airline that arrives at 930pm, and the agent quickly endorses your ticket over.

We’re looking for the original airline, the original and alternate connecting cities, and the two equipment types (each routing involved the same aircraft on both legs). More importantly, we’re also looking for the other airline, the connecting city, and the two different aircraft types involved on the routing you’ll actually fly (a bonus point for relevant airport information as well).
Original Routing TYS-ATL-IAH Delta L-1011
Offered Alternative Routing TYS-CVG-IAH Delta 727-200
Route Flown TYS-MEM-HOU Republic DC9-10 and DC9-30

This would also give you less drive time to get to Galveston as it HOU is closer, so you can eat on the way and get some extra sleep if you want to, but not as much if you made your original itinerary.

Last edited by teddybear99; Apr 26, 2020 at 9:38 pm Reason: Specifying it as HOU
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Original Routing TYS-ATL-IAH Delta L-1011
Offered Alternative Routing TYS-CVG-IAH Delta 727-200
Route Flown TYS-MEM-HOU Republic DC9-10 and DC9-30

This would also give you less drive time to get to Galveston as it HOU is closer, so you can eat on the way and get some extra sleep if you want to, but not as much if you made your original itinerary.
and it’s a clean sweep —
as-booked
TYS-ATL-IAH is correct
DL L10 on both legs is correct

alternate
TYS-CVG-IAH is correct
DL 72S on both legs is correct

as-flown
TYS-MEM-HOU is correct
RC DC9 / D9S is correct
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:52 pm

I have some ideas for the last one Chicago to San Francisco, but I will leave it until Tuesday to give others a chance
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
1983 “fill-in-the-gap” questions
36A: Well now! Here’s a very unusual morning flight from Chicago to San Francisco — it makes six stops, and it also involves a change of gauge! Since your final destination is Los Angeles, you’re glad to see you can also ignore the usual flights on 727s, 737s, and MD-80s for the final leg to LAX. A 30-minute connection to a different airline can be a risky proposition at SFO, but the forecast for Monday afternoon leads you to believe you can catch a wide-body departure that's traditionally been an easy upgrade for a walk-up passenger. If you don’t make it, another airline offers three flights — all on the same jet that until recently hasn’t been a common sight in California — in a 30-minute period starting an hour later. And if none of those pan out, you’ll have time for a drink or two with a leisurely dinner before a flight on a wide-body type not often seen on domestic routes.

The usual suspects please: the airline for the first flight, the departure airport in the Chicago area, all intermediate stops in order, and the airport where the change of gauge occurs; also, all candidate airlines and equipment types for the SFO-LAX segment.
Six stops on the way from CHI to SFO is one crazy milk run. I'm not sure when Republic got rid of the ex-North Central Convairs but if they still had them in 1983 this seems like a good candidate for a Herman the Duck Wisconsin Special!
I will guess the CHI-SFO flight is routed ORD-MKE-MSN-LSE-RST-MSP-LAS-SFO with a RC CV-580 changing gauge to DC-9-50 at MSP.

SFO-LAX First Possible Connection: UA D10
SFO-LAX Backup Plan 1: Pacific Express BAC 1-11
SFO-LAX Backup Plan 2: PA 74L
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Six stops on the way from CHI to SFO is one crazy milk run. I'm not sure when Republic got rid of the ex-North Central Convairs but if they still had them in 1983 this seems like a good candidate for a Herman the Duck Wisconsin Special!
I will guess the CHI-SFO flight is routed ORD-MKE-MSN-LSE-RST-MSP-LAS-SFO with a RC CV-580 changing gauge to DC-9-50 at MSP.
love it! we've discussed some intriguing milk runs on this thread over the years, but this is one of the most exotic candidates I can remember!

however, you only got a "C" in the guessing department ...
  • RC is incorrect
  • origin at ORD is correct
  • change of gauge at MSP is correct
  • all other stops are incorrect
all the above said, the list of possible airlines is now a lot shorter, and a great deal of the routing should be fairly straightforward as well

incidentally, North Central did in fact operate a few multi-stop Convair 580 trips between ORD and MSP; here's a page from a 1969 timetable; also one from Republic showing a single flight in 1979

as for the last leg, you definitely fared better ...
  • SFO-LAX First Possible Connection: United D10 incorrect
  • SFO-LAX Backup Plan 1: Pacific Express BAC 1-11 correct
  • SFO-LAX Backup Plan 2: Pan Am 747SP correct

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 27, 2020 at 3:40 pm
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

love it! we've discussed some intriguing milk runs on this thread over the years, but this is one of the most exotic candidates I can remember!

however, you only got a "C" in the guessing department ...
  • RC is incorrect
  • origin at ORD is correct
  • change of gauge at MSP is correct
  • all other stops are incorrect
all the above said, the list of possible airlines is now a lot shorter, and a great deal of the routing should be fairly straightforward as well
Yep. Pretty much narrowed down to NW since I can't think of any other airline that would have connected ORD, MSP and SFO with enough small dots in between to make a six-stop flight out of it.
How about:
ORD-MSP (D10)
MSP-FAR-BIL-GTF-GEG-SEA-SFO (72S)

And for the first possible widebody connection from SFO to LAX, perhaps a TWA L-1011 since it wasn't a UA DC-10.

Last edited by Herb687; Apr 27, 2020 at 4:11 pm Reason: SFO-LAX Guess
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep. Pretty much narrowed down to NW since I can't think of any other airline that would have connected ORD, MSP and SFO with enough small dots in between to make a six-stop flight out of it.
How about:
ORD-MSP (D10)
MSP-FAR-BIL-GTF-GEG-SEA-SFO (72S)

And for the first possible widebody connection from SFO to LAX, perhaps a TWA L-1011 since it wasn't a UA DC-10.
nice job in improving that C to an A-minus

ORD-MSP D10 is correct
MSP- < five stops > - SFO 72S is correct

as for the stops:
FAR is incorrect
all other stops are correct, although BIL and GTF are not the second and third stops respectively

SFO-LAX TW L10 is correct

incidentally, there were also two later SFO-LAX flights on Eastern L-1011s
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:40 pm

Tapping In

Since Herb has almost gotten it all:
36A: Well now! Here’s a very unusual morning flight from Chicago to San Francisco — it makes six stops, and it also involves a change of gauge! Since your final destination is Los Angeles, you’re glad to see you can also ignore the usual flights on 727s, 737s, and MD-80s for the final leg to LAX. A 30-minute connection to a different airline can be a risky proposition at SFO, but the forecast for Monday afternoon leads you to believe you can catch a wide-body departure that's traditionally been an easy upgrade for a walk-up passenger. If you don’t make it, another airline offers three flights — all on the same jet that until recently hasn’t been a common sight in California — in a 30-minute period starting an hour later. And if none of those pan out, you’ll have time for a drink or two with a leisurely dinner before a flight on a wide-body type not often seen on domestic routes.

The usual suspects please: the airline for the first flight, the departure airport in the Chicago area, all intermediate stops in order, and the airport where the change of gauge occurs; also, all candidate airlines and equipment types for the SFO-LAX segment.
NWA Flight 105

ORD-MSP on a DC10

MSP-BIL-GTF-MSO-GEG-SEA-SFO on a 727-200

SFO-LAX

Option 1 TWA on a L-1011

Options 2-4 Pacific Express BAC 1-11

Option 5 PanAm on a 747SP

Eastern had one later option on a L-1011, Delta had 2 later options also on a L-1011
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since Herb has almost gotten it all:

NWA Flight 105

ORD-MSP on a DC10

MSP-BIL-GTF-MSO-GEG-SEA-SFO on a 727-200 ...
that’s the ticket, so to speak

paging Seat 2A for the next batch of questions!
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:19 pm

While we wait for Seat 2A to post a new batch of questions, I would like to take a chance of stumping the crowd with four of my own:

TB1. It’s 1974, you and your newlywed wife just finished up your Honeymoon at Niagara Falls and need to get back to Cincinnati because you have to get back to work. You found a two-stop itinerary on a small jet that you haven’t flown before. Name the airline, type of jet, and the two stops you will pass through going home. Partially Answered-looking for the two stops

The following 3 questions have a timeline of 1977:

TB2. You are on vacation in Singapore when you receive a telegram from your brother that your mom has taken ill in London. It is Thursday morning and you need to get home by Friday noon because the hospital does not allow visitors over the weekend. You find an airline that has a connecting flight that leaves at 3:15 pm and will arrive around 7:30 am on Friday. You will have a one-stop flight to the airline’s hub and an additional one-stop flight to London. Turns out you will be on the same plane even though they are different flight numbers as the airline has only one 4 engine plane it is leasing for International flights. Name the airline, equipment, the hub, and stops on each flight to/from the hub. Partially Answered-looking for the stop between the hub and London. And nowAnswered

TB3. Again, you are in Asia as you have a craving for real Sushi, so you decided to visit Tokyo for a few days. You want to get home to London but feel like taking an airline you never thought of taking before. You found an airline that has a 4-engine jet that leaves close to midday, makes a stop at its hub, and arrives after dinner time in London. You want to sit close to the front of the plane as it can get very noisy behind the wing. Name the airline, equipment flown, and the hub stop you will make enroute. Answered

TB4. You are in Miami and have received a telegram from a lady you met asking to come visit her in Guatemala. You did not expect to take a diversion from the beaches in Miami, so you cannot afford to spend too much, but the lady is someone you can see being your future wife. You find an airline that will cost you US$280 round trip with a one stop-itinerary MIA-GUA flying on a three-engine jet that only has MIA as its only destination in the USA. Name the airline, equipment and the one stop enroute to GUA. Answered

Last edited by teddybear99; Apr 28, 2020 at 2:45 pm Reason: Update on the questions
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
TB3. Again, you are in Asia as you have a craving for real Sushi, so you decided to visit Tokyo for a few days. You want to get home to London but feel like taking an airline you never thought of taking before. You found an airline that has a 4-engine jet that leaves close to midday, makes a stop at its hub, and arrives after dinner time in London. You want to sit close to the front of the plane as it can get very noisy behind the wing. Name the airline, equipment flown, and the hub stop you will make enroute.
Hint says it is a rear-engine a/c but doubt it was a VC-10 so it must have been a IL-62. Operator: Аэрофлот via SVO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.