Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by dfw88
In the name of finishing this up I'll take a go at randomly guessing Florida airports. I'll start with one almost on the GC route from PBI to MSY: SRQ
48. Nope, it wasn't Sarasota......
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
And according to the on-line publication "Airlinerwatch", passenger numbers here in the U.S. have now returned to what they were back in 1954:

https://www.airlinerwatch.com/2020/0...s-to-1954.html
Here's another interesting article about the costs the airlines are incurring while most of their planes are grounded

https://simpleflying.com/grounded-planes-costs/
Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
48. Now you are in Palm Beach in 1985 where you've been inspecting a sailboat that's for sale. This catamaran is in excellent shape and you are ready to do the deal. "Ah, there's just one little catch," says the broker you've been working with. "The owner is in San Diego and you will have to meet personally with him in order to complete the transaction." So you're now on a morning flight out of West Palm Beach which will make three stops before arriving into SAN in time for an afternoon meeting with the owner of the boat. Name the airline, all three stops in order and the equipment.
MOSTLY ANSWERED - Pride Air operating a Boeing 727 with a routing of PBI - ___ - MSY - LAX - SAN. Still looking for the first stop which wasn't RSW, TPA or MCO but was made in Florida.

How about Tallahassee? Barring that we'll have to look south...
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
48. Now you are in Palm Beach in 1985 where you've been inspecting a sailboat that's for sale. This catamaran is in excellent shape and you are ready to do the deal. "Ah, there's just one little catch," says the broker you've been working with. "The owner is in San Diego and you will have to meet personally with him in order to complete the transaction." So you're now on a morning flight out of West Palm Beach which will make three stops before arriving into SAN in time for an afternoon meeting with the owner of the boat. Name the airline, all three stops in order and the equipment.
MOSTLY ANSWERED - Pride Air operating a Boeing 727 with a routing of PBI - ___ - MSY - LAX - SAN. Still looking for the first stop which wasn't RSW, TPA or MCO but was made in Florida.

I remember taking a multi-stop flight to SAN that stopped in Jacksonville, but don't remember the airline so if Tallahassee is wrong, that will be my guess.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I’m thinking that Seat 2A’s fallback idea is probably closer to the truth ... I’ll opt for the ~40-mile hop to Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
The next six quiz items all have a time line of 1983.....

39. Well, you did not do very well at the blackjack tables in Las Vegas! And you have been given an excellent reminder why you normally do not gamble. So it's time to get the heck out of town and head for Philadelphia on business. You've also decided to not wait around and that means departing from LAS at 1:00 am on board a flight which operates five days a week and makes three stops en route. At least you will be served an early breakfast prior to arriving at your first stop followed by lunch prior to landing at PHL. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.
Lots of stops there. The first segment has to be a pretty long flight since breakfast is served. And the last segment long enough for lunch. How about a Delta L-1011 operating LAS-ATL-MCO-MIA-PHL?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

48. Ah, it wasn't Tallahassee....but the airport in question was located further south.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99

I remember taking a multi-stop flight to SAN that stopped in Jacksonville, but don't remember the airline so if Tallahassee is wrong, that will be my guess.
48. Nope, it wasn't Jacksonville.....and sounds like you may have been on board National back in the day.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I’m thinking that Seat 2A’s fallback idea is probably closer to the truth ... I’ll opt for the ~40-mile hop to Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
48. Yep, it was Fort Lauderdale. Here's the sched.....

NI 121: West Palm Beach (PBI) 7:00a - 7:25a Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 7:55a - 8:40a New Orleans (MSY) 9:25a - 11:05a Los Angeles (LAX) 11:35a - 12:15p San Diego (SAN)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y ("Executive Class" and Coach)
Meal services: Breakfast FLL-MSY & MSY-LAX
Equip: Boeing 727 (727 or 72S)

Short-lived Pride Air was based in New Orleans where it also had a small hub. I believe its employees included a number of folks who were formerly with Continental. Here's a Pride Air print ad from 1985....

NIwereanewairline85
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'm working on a handful of story lines to "fill in the blanks" in jlemon's 1983 questions (which basically turns the questions into a continuous travel odyssey rather than standalone point-to-point trips) ... should be able to post them later today
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Lots of stops there. The first segment has to be a pretty long flight since breakfast is served. And the last segment long enough for lunch. How about a Delta L-1011 operating LAS-ATL-MCO-MIA-PHL?
39. Nope, it wasn't Delta, the equipment wasn't an L-1011 and stops were not made in Atlanta, Orlando or Miami.

Here's a hint: the routing for the flight in question, which was operated with a twin engine aircraft, was quite a bit more direct.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm working on a handful of story lines to "fill in the blanks" in jlemon's 1983 questions (which basically turns the questions into a continuous travel odyssey rather than standalone point-to-point trips) ... should be able to post them later today
Please coordinate with Seat 2A at your convenience as he has a new set of 50 quiz questions waiting in the wings.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

26. If you wanted to fly on board a Douglas DC-6 from Anchorage (ANC) in 1976, there was only one airline to call and only one route served nonstop by this aircraft with the flight only operating once a week. Name the air carrier and the destination. PARTIALLY ANSWERED - the air carrier was Reeve Aleutian. Still looking for the destination served nonstop from Anchorage and the flight in question actually operated a "triangle" routing of ANC - ___ - ___ - ANC. Hint: the first stop was also served with Lockheed L-188 Electra and NAMC YS-11 aircraft by Reeve Aleutian.

39. Well, you did not do very well at the blackjack tables in Las Vegas! And you have been given an excellent reminder why you normally do not gamble. So it's time to get the heck out of town and head for Philadelphia on business. You've also decided to not wait around and that means departing from LAS at 1:00 am on board a flight which operates five days a week and makes three stops en route. At least you will be served an early breakfast prior to arriving at your first stop followed by lunch prior to landing at PHL. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED - Ozark operating a DC9-30 with routing of LAS - OMA - STL - IND - PHL.

Last call for the above! And I'll provide the answer tomorrow should # 26 still be around.....

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 15, 2020 at 11:54 am Reason: answer update
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
39. Nope, it wasn't Delta, the equipment wasn't an L-1011 and stops were not made in Atlanta, Orlando or Miami.

Here's a hint: the routing for the flight in question, which was operated with a twin engine aircraft, was quite a bit more direct.
Ozark DC-9 via MCI-STL-IND?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Ozark DC-9 via MCI-STL-IND?
39. Ozark with a DC9-30 is correct and the flight did stop at St. Louis and Indianapolis. However, the first stop wasn't Kansas City so please guess again, sir!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.