Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I'll go out on a limb for RNO-LAS and guess it was Eastern Airlines with a 757-200
a year or two later you might have found one of those jets on this route, but for this question EA is incorrect and the 757 is incorrect
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
As suspected here in the UK, part of shunting Virgin Atlantic's cash around. The UK government is not going to bail them out just to see USD 200m of it wafted off to Delta due to some "earlier agreement". Meanwhile they also have to pay a very hefty fee each year just to "use the Virgin brand" to Virgin Group, who in turn have to pay a fee to Virgin Group Holdings Ltd, based in the British Virgin islands, who just happen to "own the brand", all of which manages to make the accounts for Virgin Atlantic Airlines, based in the UK, appear to have "just broken even". Again.
Perhaps Sir Richard just might have to dip into his personal funds in order to financially assist Virgin Atlantic.

It's my understanding he still has a few pounds sterling here and there.....
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
Great guess! However, it wasn't Lagos. Please guess again, sir!

And you might want to look west across the pond from Heathrow......
Washington-Dulles [IAD] seems to be missing from the list, so I'll offer that.

Last edited by KT550; Apr 25, 2020 at 2:48 am
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Tapping In

Originally Posted by jrl767

38A: PARTIALLY ANSWERED You’ve arranged to rendezvous with a colleague for an early afternoon scenic flight to Grand Canyon before a dinner meeting in Boulder City. There’s a 1040am nonstop from SJC that lands at LAS at 1155am, but what’s the fun in that? Hmmmmm ... here’s a 733am departure that starts an intriguing three-segment itinerary featuring aircraft with two, three, and four engines. Can you change airlines at a major airport in 36 minutes? Sure; then you’ll spend about that much time in the air on the second segment, and you’ll still arrive into LAS at noon.

Please identify the airline and equipment on the nonstop, as well as the two connecting cities, three airlines, and three equipment types on your less direct route.

SJC-LAS -- we're still seeking both the airline and equipment
SJC-SFO is a 727-200; the airline is not PSA
SFO-RNO is a United DC-8-61
RNO-LAS is not Air Cal or Republic; the twin-engine aircraft is not any model of DC-9

SJC-LAS Sunworld DC9-10
SJC-SFO TWA on a 727-200
RNO-LAS Pacific Express with a BAC-111
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Washington-Dulles [IAD] seems to be missing from the list, so I'll offer that.
Correct! Here's the sched....

VS 022: IAD 18:25 - 06:45+1 LHR, op daily, A340 C/Y (no DL code share flt. no. listed for VS 022)
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, after I mentioned Forbes magazine and a business article concerning Virgin Atlantic, I remembered that at one point Forbes operated a Boeing 727-100 in corporate configuration. I also believe this aircraft was delivered new to Braniff International before it changed hands. Here's a photo of this 727 in the Forbes corporate livery:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Forb...pvOIBI5Y/RsBJn

And now to the yard work on a beautiful spring day......
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by teddybear99
SJC-LAS Sunworld DC9-10
SJC-SFO TWA on a 727-200
RNO-LAS Pacific Express with a BAC-111
once again you’ve hit the jackpot ...
  • Sunworld is correct; DC-9-10 is correct
  • TWA is correct
  • Pacific Express is correct; BAC One-Eleven is correct
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
H

Miami - Nope! The flight operated into Gatwick: VS 006 MIA 18:20 - 07:25+1 LGW, op daily except Mondays & Tuesdays, B747-200 C/Y, code share for Delta as DL* 2806
Still running from Gatwick then ... have been having a passing reference to this flight elsewhere recently. London to Miami just suits a single aircraft daily operation, and the dedicated Virgin aircraft on this one for some years was G-VMIA. This started life with American, was withdrawn when they retired their original 747 fleet, got picked up by Qantas for a while who needed to supply one to Air Pacific in Fiji, was retired again, then went to startup Highland Express, who we covered not long ago, for a transatlantic venture which failed quite quickly, in no small part due to the considerable unreliability of the sole aircraft. Finally, after another interval, it was picked up by Virgin and ran the Miami route (hence the registration) for some years. It ended up moving over to Orlando runs, but was one of the first Virgin 747s to be scrapped.

It had a significant reputation as an absolute lemon of an aircraft, and even at Virgin, who ploughed a lot into a new cabin and a major overhaul, it was the aircraft in the fleet with the highest unscheduled maintenance spend and the worst reliability record. They knew well the Highland Express saga, and some said the aircraft, regardless of low price or the big overhaul, should never have been considered for the fleet.

Meanwhile that Athens flight was one of a number of Virgin attempts at European operations, none of which have worked out. It must have also been Autumn 1996 that I was in Heathrow Terminal 3 late evening and noticed it rolling in. By then they were doing two round trips a day to Athens. Shortly afterwards Easyjet, charismatically led by its Greek founder Stelios, started up London to Athens, garnered a lot of publicity, and the Virgin operation was let go.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
1983 “fill-in-the-gap” questions
34A: Friends have talked you into joining them for a long weekend of hiking near Pyramid Lake. Given the spur-of-the-moment nature of the trip, you’re not surprised to find the only direct flight to Reno from Atlanta is sold out. You’ll limit yourself to one airline and one connection, but you decide to cover as much distance as possible on a single jet. This means you’ll have one multi-stop flight, and a connecting point that’s not on a normal ATL-RNO routing.

Please identify the airline, all stops in order including the connecting point, and the two types of aircraft involved.
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I'll go out on a limb for RNO-LAS and guess it was Eastern Airlines with a 757-200
a year or two later you might have found one of those jets on this route, but for this question EA is incorrect and the 757 is incorrect
So no 757 and no EA anywhere on the itinerary? Do a regular DC-9 and an MD-80 count as two types of aircraft here?

How about ATL-MSP RC MD-80 connecting to MSP-SLC-RNO RC DC-9?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OskiBear was replying to the SJC-SFO-RNO-LAS question (38), for which teddybear99 has since provided the correct answers

I presume you are working on the ATL-RNO itinerary (34) ... Eastern is correct, which means MD80 is obviously incorrect; DC-9 is incorrect, and 757 is also incorrect
Old Apr 26, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
OskiBear was replying to the SJC-SFO-RNO-LAS question (38), for which teddybear99 has since provided the correct answers

I presume you are working on the ATL-RNO itinerary (34) ... Eastern is correct, which means MD80 is obviously incorrect; DC-9 is incorrect, and 757 is also incorrect
Got it. Yes, I was guessing on the ATL-RNO trip. Since you said the connect point is illogical for an ATL-RNO trip, let me guess:
EA ATL-DCA AB3
EA DCA-MCI-LAS-RNO 727
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
... Since you said the connect point is illogical for an ATL-RNO trip, let me guess:
EA ATL-DCA AB3
EA DCA-MCI-LAS-RNO 727
hmmmm ... that’s an interesting guess, and you got a couple of things right

first leg:
DCA is incorrect
AB3 is correct (I don’t recall Eastern ever running that jet into National on a regular basis)

second leg:
MCI is incorrect
LAS is correct
727 is incorrect
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:20 pm

This is much harder than it seems
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hmmmm ... that’s an interesting guess, and you got a couple of things right

first leg:
DCA is incorrect
AB3 is correct (I don’t recall Eastern ever running that jet into National on a regular basis)

second leg:
MCI is incorrect
LAS is correct
727 is incorrect
Well, Houston isn't that circuitous for ATL-RNO but IAH was a pretty big EA station so it probably would have merited an A300 on the hop over from ATL.

How about the EA AB3 operating ATL-IAH connecting to D9S IAH-LAS-RNO?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

getting closer ...
IAH is correct as the stop before LAS, but it was not the connecting point
D9S is incorrect (I don’t recall Eastern running any Nines west of Texas, so this also eliminates the Series 50 from consideration)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.