Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
[i]6. (1970)Identify each of the state capitols that did not have any jet service in 1970

I'll take a stab at this one, though it's going to be tough sledding without knowing how many I'm shooting for. Here's my first guess, without looking at a map, roughly from east to west:

Augusta, ME Correct!
Concord, NH Correct!
Montpelier, VT Correct!
Dover, DE Correct!
Annapolis, MD Correct!
Frankfort, KY Correct!
Topeka, KS Correct!
Pierre, SD Incorrect!
Bismark, ND Incorrect!
Helena, MT Incorrect!
Cheyenne, WY Incorrect!
Carson City, NV Correct!
Juneau, AK Incorrect!

You're off to a great start, dfw! Truth be told, I left out the exact number of capitals because you guys are all so intelligent and generally well versed in all things related to commercial aviation. Your impressive start notwithstanding, I count four state capitals without jet service that remain to be identified. Good luck!

And here's a Bonus Question: Of the state capitals incorrectly listed above, identify which airline(s) and jet(s) served each one.
I'd suggest Olympia, WA and Eugene, OR if these aren't considered to be served by Seattle and Portland, respectively. Perhaps Harrisburg, PA as well?

As for the bonus question, Juneau had Alaska Airlines 727 service by then, IIRC?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
27. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, identify which airlines do not operate any 747s between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii (For the record, we are talking only about airlines that actually serve Hawaii, so listing Ozark or Mohawk won't cut it, wise guys)
27- process of elimination, going through the U.S. trunk airlines and flag carriers:
American - 747s yes, Hawaii service yes -- but only with 707s en route to/from the South Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand; iirc a condition of AA's acquisition of Trans-Caribbean Airlines ~1972 was to cede these routes to Pan Am
Braniff - 747 yes, Hawaii service yes -- but with 707s, as N601BN "The Great Pumpkin" wasn't delivered until Dec 1970

Continental - 747s yes, Hawaii service yes
Delta - 747s yes, Hawaii service no
Eastern - 747s yes, Hawaii service no
National - 747s yes, Hawaii service no
Northwest - 747s yes, Hawaii service yes
Pan Am - 747s yes, Hawaii service yes
TWA - 747s yes, Hawaii service yes -- but only with 707s as part of their RTW routing; we discussed this flight a month or two back
United - 747s yes, Hawaii service yes
Western - 747s no, Hawaii service yes

STATE CAPITOLS BONUS Q:
Pierre and Cheyenne saw Western 737s
Bismarck and Helena saw Northwest 727s

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 29, 2020 at 3:47 pm Reason: update BN ...
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
12. (1985) This is the year you finally take the family to Disney World! Disneyland is closer to your home in Portland, Oregon but Orlando also offers SeaWorld, Baseball World and Circus World. Though it’s always a challenge flying anywhere with three young children, you’re pleased to discover that between Portland and Orlando there’s a single daily one stop direct flight. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stops.

PDX-DEN-MCO, not United ... CO is too straightforward a guess (plus I think most if not all of their Florida service flowed through Houston/IAH at this time), so this must have been the short-lived Frontier Horizon which iirc operated a handful of 727-200s

Alas, Frontier Horizon had been sold off to Skybus by the time the OAG I used to reference this question was issued. You are getting much warmer though...
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
I'd suggest Olympia, WA and Eugene, OR if these aren't considered to be served by Seattle and Portland, respectively. Perhaps Harrisburg, PA as well?

As for the bonus question, Juneau had Alaska Airlines 727 service by then, IIRC?
Eugene's not the capital, but I do second Olympia WA. To get to four more I'll add Salem, OR, Lincoln, NE, and Jefferson City, MO
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
23. (1985) Over the years many airlines have operated single class configured aircraft in the busy New York to Los Angeles market. In mid-1985 just one airline operates nonstop flights with them. Identify that airline and the aircraft type it uses.

MGM Grand Air DC-8-62

An excellent guess, Herb, but no - it wasn't MGM Grand Air and the aircraft wasn't a DC-8-62. Please guess again!

29. (1998) Back in the 1970s and 80s, Las Vegas used to see a lot of widebodies, especially the DC-10. In 1998, only one airline still operates DC-10 flights into LAS, albeit with a single daily arrival. Identify that airline and the airport it serves LAS from.

Well, Downtown Las Vegas IS the ninth Hawaiian island so I am going to guess this was HA from HNL.

Good call. Hawaiian Airlines is correct. However, HNL is not. Care to tap this one in?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
30. (1988) You fly often between San Francisco and Reno, especially in the winter when heavy snows make travel over I-80 hazardous if not impossible. Three airlines offer nonstop flights out of SFO and the most popular aircraft type, operated by all three airlines, is scheduled for eight of those mostly daily flights. Identify each of the three airlines as well as the aircraft type referenced.

I'm going to guess: Southwest, United, and American with a 737-200 (might be kicking myself for not saying -300)

Hey Oski! Good to see you back! You've got two of the airlines correct, however the aircraft was not a 737 of any variant. That should tell you which airline isn't in the picture. Please, do guess again!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by dfw88
Eugene's not the capital, but I do second Olympia WA. To get to four more I'll add Salem, OR, Lincoln, NE, and Jefferson City, MO
D'oh, thinking Salem but typed Eugene. Thanks for the correction. I think I'll concur with your other two as well rather than my suggestion of Harrisburg.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
1. (1989) You love to scuba dive, especially in the Caymans. Indeed, the Grand Cayman wall is considered by many to be one of the best dive destinations in the world! From your home on Long Island, NY the only downside to having to travel to or from the Caymans is having to connect through that third world hellhole masquerading as an airport in Miami. Thankfully one airline has finally seen fit to offer a direct one stop flight from the Caymans to JFK. Identify that airline, the equipment it uses for this flight and of course the enroute stop.

I actually flew into Grand Cayman (GCM) back in 1989. I was living near San Luis Obispo at the time and traveled NRSA using airline industry passes. I had an annual pass on SkyWest so I flew from SBP to LAX via a SkyWest-operated Delta Connection flight first thing in the morning on board a Metro III. I then connected to Eastern at LAX where I was lucky enough to score a first class seat on an L-1011 nonstop to MIA. And then at MIA my good luck continued and I boarded a Cayman Airways B737-400 in first class for GCM. I got to talking with the Cayman Airways flight attendant in the front cabin who had been with the airline since the days of the BAC One-Eleven and she mentioned KX was having a difficult time, financially speaking, concerning the intense competition on their core route between Grand Cayman and Miami. American, Eastern, Northwest and Pan Am were all operating nonstop MIA-GCM service, AA, EA and PA with the B727-200 and NW with the DC9-30 while KX was operating all of its service on the route at that time with the B737-400.

So with that, I'll guess the air carrier we are looking for here was Pan Am operating a B727-200 from GCM to JFK with a stop at MIA. And BTW, Cayman Airways was also operating nonstop service between GCM and JFK with a B737-400 in 1989 but I do not think this flight was operated on a daily basis.

jlemon, I should have known you'd be the one to correctly answer this one! The Caribbean is your second home! Pan Am with the 727-200 is correct! Here's the schedule:

Pan Am PA 402 Grand Cayman (GCM) 210p-430p Miami (MIA) 615p-906p D New York (JFK) 727-200 We Sa
Other days of the week this flight involved a change of gauge using the 72S up to MIA and switching to an A310 up to JFK
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
23. (1985) Over the years many airlines have operated single class configured aircraft in the busy New York to Los Angeles market. In mid-1985 just one airline operates nonstop flights with them. Identify that airline and the aircraft type it uses.

MGM Grand Air DC-8-62

An excellent guess, Herb, but no - it wasn't MGM Grand Air and the aircraft wasn't a DC-8-62. Please guess again!
Hmmm. I can't remember if World Airways was all coach on its scheduled services but I will guess they were. How about World using a DC-10?

29. (1998) Back in the 1970s and 80s, Las Vegas used to see a lot of widebodies, especially the DC-10. In 1998, only one airline still operates DC-10 flights into LAS, albeit with a single daily arrival. Identify that airline and the airport it serves LAS from.

Well, Downtown Las Vegas IS the ninth Hawaiian island so I am going to guess this was HA from HNL.

Good call. Hawaiian Airlines is correct. However, HNL is not. Care to tap this one in?
I will save par by saying it was a short hop from LAX.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strickerj
6. (1970)Identify each of the state capitols that did not have any jet service in 1970

I'll take a stab at this one, though it's going to be tough sledding without knowing how many I'm shooting for. Here's my first guess, without looking at a map, roughly from east to west:

Augusta, ME Correct!
Concord, NH Correct!
Montpelier, VT Correct!
Dover, DE Correct!
Annapolis, MD Correct!
Frankfort, KY Correct!
Topeka, KS Correct!
Pierre, SD Incorrect!
Bismark, ND Incorrect!
Helena, MT Incorrect!
Cheyenne, WY Incorrect!
Carson City, NV Correct!
Olympia, WA Correct!
Juneau, AK Incorrect! (Per Bonus question, AS 727 has been identified. Looking for one more...)
Harrisburg, PA Incorrect!

I count four state capitals without jet service that remain to be identified. Good luck!

And here's a Bonus Question: Of the state capitals incorrectly listed above, identify which airline(s) and jet(s) served each one.

Hey there, strickerj! I have good news and bad news for you. Olympia, WA is correct! However, Eugene is not the capital of Oregon and Harrisburg was indeed served by jets. So, I will add Harrisburg to the list above so it can be part of the bonus question. And, as to that bonus question, Alaska Airlines did indeed serve JNU with its 727-100s. However, JNU was also served with a jet from another airline as well.

Please, carry on!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
27. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, identify which airlines do not operate any 747s between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii (For the record, we are talking only about airlines that actually serve Hawaii, so listing Ozark or Mohawk won't cut it, wise guys)

Process of elimination, going through the U.S. trunk airlines and flag carriers:

American - Only with 707s
Correct!
Braniff - Only with 707s Correct!
TWA - Only with 707s Correct!
Western - Yes (with 707 and 720s) Correct!

STATE CAPITOLS BONUS Q:
Pierre and Cheyenne saw Western 737s Correct! However, Pierre also saw jet service from another airline...
Bismarck and Helena saw Northwest 727s Correct! However, both Bismarck and Helena saw jet service from another airline
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfw88
6. (1970) Identify the state capitols that did not have any jet service in 1970

Augusta, ME Correct!
Concord, NH Correct!
Montpelier, VT Correct!
Dover, DE Correct!
Annapolis, MD Correct!
Frankfort, KY Correct!
Topeka, KS Correct!
Pierre, SD Incorrect!
Bismark, ND Incorrect!
Helena, MT Incorrect!
Cheyenne, WY Incorrect!
Carson City, NV Correct!
Olympia, WA Correct!
Juneau, AK Incorrect! (Per Bonus question, AS 727 has been identified. Looking for one more...)
Harrisburg, PA Incorrect!
Salem, OR Incorrect!
Jefferson City, MO Incorrect!
Lincoln, NE Incorrect!

Salem, OR, Lincoln, NE, and Jefferson City, MO are all state capitals. However, each of them benefits from jet service per the 1970 OAG I used to reference this question.

Please, carry on!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687

MGM Grand Air DC-8-62 - An excellent guess, Herb, but no - it wasn't MGM Grand Air and the aircraft wasn't a DC-8-62. Please guess again!

Hmmm. I can't remember if World Airways was all coach on its scheduled services but I will guess they were. How about World using a DC-10?

Nope - it wasn't World with the DC-10. You were closer with your first guess

Well, Downtown Las Vegas IS the ninth Hawaiian island so I am going to guess this was HA from HNL. - Good call. Hawaiian Airlines is correct. However, HNL is not. Care to tap this one in?

I will save par by saying it was a short hop from LAX.

That's wild cheering from the gallery you're hearing there, Herb. Good call. Here's the schedule:

Hawaiian Air HA 004 Los Angeles (LAX) 655a-755a Las Vegas (LAS) DC-10 Daily
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
STATE CAPITOLS BONUS Q:
Pierre and Cheyenne saw Western 737sCorrect! However, Pierre also saw jet service from another airline...
Bismarck and Helena saw Northwest 727sCorrect! However, both Bismarck and Helena saw jet service from another airline
PIR - Frontier 737
BIS - Frontier 737
HLN - Western 737
Old Apr 29, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Whew! Finally caught up! That took a couple hours off the morning. Good start, guys! I look forward to your future responses and will check back later this afternoon.

Wishing you all continued good health here in our medically oriented Spring of Discontent. Stay well and keep up the great responses

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.