Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
drove 2,514 miles via San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Bakersfield, Barstow, Needles, Kingman, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Fort Smith, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville
1981 I did St Johns Nfld to Victoria BC, somewhat over 5,000 miles, in a two-week holiday. Did it on my own as far as Calgary. Took three vehicles, main distance Toronto to Calgary in a Ford Capri ... made in Liverpool UK. Some days I clicked off over 500 miles (for this time/distance you have to).

Must have been tiring/boring ? Certainly not. I'd do it again in a moment. Incidentally, my uncle went over to Canada and did the same in the 1930s, with a 1928 Overland Whippet.

Seat 2A, jlemon and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
1- MYR-PVD, not USAir, not a 733 ... continuing with the reasoning that it isn’t UA either, that leaves us with American ... which means the stop was at their Raleigh/Durham (RDU) hub, and the jet was most likely the ubiquitous MadDog MD-80

10- RNO-XXX-LAX-ABQ, Western 737, first stop neither SFO nor SMF ... not much else on their route map besides Fresno (FAT)
Old Jun 6, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
TCON drives: three years ago this month Mrs767 and I spent 10 days returning to our home in Seattle after I gave up my studio apartment near DCA to become a 75% telecommuter

Day 1: lunch with davetravels (RIP) in Pittsburgh en route to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls (456 miles)

Day 2: in the mist and rain along the Bruce Peninsula to Tobermory (256 miles)

Day 3: car ferry across the mouth of Georgian Bay, thence along the north shore of Lake Huron to Sault Ste Marie and Mackinaw City (287 miles)

Day 4: along the Upper Peninsula, mostly on US 2, to Superior (485 miles)

Day 5: continued on US 2 to MN 32, through the small town of Fertile where her maternal grandparents had settled, thence US 10 to Moorhead and I-94 to Jamestown (430 miles)

Day 6: US 52 to Minot to rejoin US 2 to Fort Peck (517 miles)

Day 7: through my old Boeing Flight Test haunt of Glasgow and on to St Mary West (380 miles)

Day 8: south around Glacier on US 2, return to St Mary West via eastbound Going-To-The-Sun Road (which had just reopened the previous day) (180 miles)

Day 9: westbound Going-To-The-Sun Road to US 2, thence MT 28/200/471 and National Forest 9; picked up I-90 from Kellogg to Spokane (333 miles)

Day 10: US 2 to Monroe, WA 522 to Seattle; mainly surface streets home (296 miles)

other than Day 2 and a couple hours the afternoon of Day 6, we enjoyed the C70 to the fullest on this 3332-mile trip with extremely limited time on the interstates
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
1. (1990) It’s been a great week of sun and fun in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina but now it’s time to return home to Rhode Island. You drove your sister’s car down from Providence but will be flying back home. Surely this will involve a connection somewhere. Imagine then your surprise and delight to learn that one airline offers a direct one stop flight back to Providence. Right on! Airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.

MYR-PVD, not USAir, not a 733 ... continuing with the reasoning that it isn’t UA either, that leaves us with American ... which means the stop was at their Raleigh/Durham (RDU) hub, and the jet was most likely the ubiquitous MadDog MD-80

AA through RDU is correct! However, the ubiquitous Super 80 was not the aircraft of record for this flight. Hmm... whatever could it have been?10. (1985) You were going to make a road trip of it and drive from your home in Sparks, NV to Albuquerque NM but alas, a late spring blizzard has made getting out of the Reno area an unsafe proposition. A quick check of the schedules shows a single daily direct flight from Reno to Albuquerque that makes two stops but will get you into ABQ in perfect time to have lunch with your beloved Abuela at the El Pinto Restaurant and Cantina, home to the best New Mexican cuisine in the Rio Grande Valley. When your mouth stops watering, go ahead and identify the airline, aircraft and the two stops in order.
RNO-XXX-LAX-ABQ, Western 737, first stop neither SFO nor SMF ... not much else on their route map besides Fresno (FAT)

That's the ticket, J Here's the schedule -

Western WA 160 Reno (RNO) 720a-804a Fresno (FAT) 830a-918a Los Angeles (LAX) 955a-1242p Albuquerque (ABQ) 737-200 Daily

I logged a lot of flights aboard WA 737-200s. Back in the seventies it was a marvelously comfortable aircraft to fly upon with well padded seats offering First Class legroom throughout as well as complimentary glasses of some of the worst "Champagne" ever offered aloft. By the mid-80s new lightweight seats and seriously reduced seat pitch had become the new and decidedly less comfortable reality.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 6, 2020 at 2:14 pm
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1- I’m almost positive that the Fokker 100 wasn’t yet in the AA fleet; since the 727-100s had already exited, and the thought of a 757 at MYR boggles the mind, a 72S is the only remaining choice
Old Jun 6, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
1. (1990) It’s been a great week of sun and fun in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina but now it’s time to return home to Rhode Island. You drove your sister’s car down from Providence but will be flying back home. Surely this will involve a connection somewhere. Imagine then your surprise and delight to learn that one airline offers a direct one stop flight back to Providence. Right on! Airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.

I’m almost positive that the Fokker 100 wasn’t yet in the AA fleet; since the 727-100s had already exited, and the thought of a 757 at MYR boggles the mind, a 72S is the only remaining choice.

That's the one we're looking for, J - way to break it down!

American AA 750 Myrtle Beach (MYR) 705p-757p Raleigh/Durham (RDU) 851p-1026p Providence (PVD) 727-200
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Let's trade out those road trip photos for a nice shot of how an Alaska MD80 might look in the new colors...

wrp96 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 7, 2020 at 5:04 am
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
17. (1990) New Orleans - Miami

United
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
21. (1985) As an avid Green Bay Packers fan, the thought of going to your obnoxious cousin’s wedding in Pittsburgh is not a pleasant one. Still, he is family even if he is an insufferable Steelers fan made worse by the fact that the Steelers have eaten the Packer’s lunch over the past 15 years. Sigh… You dutifully call the travel agency and take some solace in the fact that a one stop direct flight between Green Bay and Pittsburgh is available. Name the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.
21- for lack of a better idea, let’s start the conversation with Republic, operating via Milwaukee/MKE with a DC-9 ... and since I’d be just as much of a stickler for the series had I posed the question, I’ll offer the less-common -50
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am

26. (2003) By 2003, the once ubiquitous 727 has become a rare bird over North American skies. Even so, you’ve managed to find a seat aboard one for next week’s trip from Detroit out to Las Vegas. Identify the airline and 727 variant you’ll be flying upon.
It's not Sun Country

And my previous guess of a 727-200 wasn't ruled correct so that must indicate it was a 727-100. My crazy new guess is UPS operating a 727QC with the Rolls-Royce Tay engine conversion.

Herb, I owe you an apology, especially as it's resulted in your wasted response thinking it might be a -100. The aircraft of record is indeed a 727-200. Additionally, the airline used to operate Vegas charters for a large Denver based tour company so I was surprised to see them listed as operating scheduled flights out of DTW. Anyway, here's hoping that this additional bit of information might help a bit - at least toward discounting any of the majors. Better luck with your next response
ATA is my last guess. After SY and TZ, I can't think of any airline in the 2000s that did a brisk charter flight trade AND had scheduled service AND had 727-200s.

28. (1970) You’ve just completed the fall semester at Notre Dame University. Now you’re flying home to Chicago for Thanksgiving. Normally you fly on United but this time you’ll be flying home on a different airline. Identify the airline and the aircraft type you’ll be flying upon.
Since it's not United, North Central makes the most sense to me (so it's probably wrong). But North Central CV 580 is my guess.

Last edited by Herb687; Jun 7, 2020 at 1:16 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

2. (1985) Imagine yourself comfortably ensconced in a window seat and enjoying a delicious hot dinner while flying high above Vermont’s Green Mountains aboard a Hawker Siddeley HS748. What airline and route are you flying? (Direction does not matter as dinner is also served on the 748 flight operating in the opposite direction as well)

22. (1990) What’s got two jet engines and represents the only type of air transport available between Midland/Odessa and Lubbock – albeit twice each day? Identify the airline and aircraft please.
2. Sure sounds like Canadian-based air carrier First Air operating what I believe was their only service to the U.S. between Ottawa and Boston. And I think they also flew YOW-BOS with a Boeing 727 combi as well.

22. I'll guess this was America West operating a B737-200 with a routing of PHX-MAF-LBB-PHX or vice versa or perhaps PHX-MAF-LBB and return.

And we are awaiting the main effects of Tropical Storm Cristobal here which so far have been minimal. Very thankfully, we are not anticipating any flooding in the LFT area due to the storm.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
17. (1990) The last time you had to fly between New Orleans and Miami was twenty years ago. Back then, National Airlines was the only way to go. Now, you’ve got a choice of four airlines. Identify each of those four airlines.

United

Yes! Cue the theme music! (Should we get a theme song? Up Up and Away or Come Fly With Me...) So, the four airlines are:

American – Continental - Pan Am - United
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

21. (1985) As an avid Green Bay Packers fan, the thought of going to your obnoxious cousin’s wedding in Pittsburgh is not a pleasant one. Still, he is family even if he is an insufferable Steelers fan made worse by the fact that the Steelers have eaten the Packer’s lunch over the past 15 years. Sigh… You dutifully call the travel agency and take some solace in the fact that a one stop direct flight between Green Bay and Pittsburgh is available. Name the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

For lack of a better idea, let’s start the conversation with Republic, operating via Milwaukee/MKE with a DC-9 ... and since I’d be just as much of a stickler for the series had I posed the question, I’ll offer the less-common -50

Did Republic even fly to Pittsburgh? Probably. Off the top of my head (much less the middle) I can't recall their presence there. In any event, it's not Republic but the flight does involve a DC-9 - just not the -50 variant.

Please, guess again!
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

21- technically, the MD-80 started life as the DC-9-80 (and initially appeared as “D98” in the OAG) ... AA, over Chicago/ORD
Old Jun 7, 2020, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
17. New Orleans - Miami 1990. United was one of the four answers as revealed about. A comment about that. United in the early 1990's had some funky Miami routes. Miami - London (Heathrow) was one of them. It was only temporary route authority and later awarded to American Airlines.

Another funky effort of United in the early 1990's was to fly mainline (not commuter airlines / regional partners) to at least one airport in all 50 states. I think they were trying to check off boxes rather than look for the highest yield. Most major airlines forfeit Delaware but United didn't. Vermont doesn't get much service either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.