Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2020, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Herb687
Thinking of some of the cities served by the 1962 AA DC-6 transcon milk run discussed earlier this week has me thinking this could very well be an AA service.
By 1969, I will guess BAC 1-11 as the equipment operated by AA.
Perhaps a routing of BOS-LGA-PHL-DCA-BNA
AA is correct
BAC 1-11 is incorrect
all three stops are incorrect
BNA is correct

and speaking of the 1962 AA DC-6 TCON, we are still looking for the three stops that the eastbound flight did not make

Last edited by jrl767; May 28, 2020 at 9:50 am Reason: forgot to indicate correct arrival airport
Old May 27, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I will take a stab at 3C/3D since I'm pretty sure there's only one possible carrier that both A) served all of these regions and B) had that many different types of jet aircraft in 1969. The airline must be United.
Outbound Flight 1: UA 737 TYS-HSV
Outbound Flight 2: UA 727 HSV-LAX
Outbound Flight 3: UA 720 LAX-PDX
Return Flight 1: UA 722 PDX-SFO
Return Flight 2: UA DC8 SFO-SLC-DEN
Return Flight 3: UA D8S DEN-ORD
Return Flight 4: UA CVL ORD-CLE-CMH
some very astute guesswork here!

UA is correct
1- HSV is incorrect, 737 is incorrect
2- LAX is incorrect, 727 is incorrect
3- PDX is correct, 720 is correct
4- SFO is correct, 72S (722) is correct
5- SLC is incorrect, DEN is incorrect, DC8 is correct
6- ORD is correct, D8S is incorrect
7- CLE is incorrect, CVL is incorrect
Old May 27, 2020, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jrl767
and speaking of the 1962 AA DC-6 TCON, we are still looking for the three stops that the eastbound flight did not make
Forgot that we haven't closed out on that one. I'm going to guess that Douglas, Arizona had a commercially/militarily important enough reason to fly there in the first place so I will keep it in the eastbound routing. Let me guess that the skipped stops eastbound were SAN, TUS, PHL.

some very astute guesswork here!

UA is correct
1- HSV is incorrect, 737 is incorrect
2- LAX is incorrect, 727 is incorrect
3- PDX is correct, 720 is correct
4- SFO is correct, 72S (722) is correct
5- SLC is incorrect, DEN is incorrect, DC8 is correct
6- ORD is correct, D8S is incorrect
7- CLE is incorrect, CVL is incorrect

I think I know enough about UA's network/fleet (i.e. no Caravelles on the West Coast) to narrow this down/refine the guess.
(1) Outbound Flight 1: UA CVL TYS-MEM
(2) Outbound Flight 2: UA 727 MEM-SFO
(3) Outbound Flight 3: UA 720 SFO-PDX
(4) Return Flight 1: UA 72S PDX-SFO
(5) Return Flight 2: UA DC8 SFO-OMA
(6) Return Flight 3: UA 737 OMA-CID-ORD
(7) Return Flight 4: UA D8S ORD-DAY-CMH
Old May 28, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forgot that we haven't closed out on that one. I'm going to guess that Douglas, Arizona had a commercially/militarily important enough reason to fly there in the first place so I will keep it in the eastbound routing. Let me guess that the skipped stops eastbound were SAN, TUS, PHL.
one for three ... TUS is correct

note that I forgot to give you credit for the right destination of the AA flight in your initial answer (post 19111 above, edited)

I think I know enough about UA's network/fleet (i.e. no Caravelles on the West Coast) to narrow this down/refine the guess.
(1) Outbound Flight 1: UA CVL TYS-MEM
(2) Outbound Flight 2: UA 727 MEM-SFO
(3) Outbound Flight 3: UA 720 SFO-PDX
(5) Return Flight 2: UA DC8 SFO-OMA
(6) Return Flight 3: UA 737 OMA-CID-ORD
(7) Return Flight 4: UA D8S ORD-DAY-CMH
the jets should fall into place pretty quickly now --

outbound:
CVL is correct, MEM is incorrect
727 is incorrect, SFO is incorrect

return:
OMA is incorrect
737 is incorrect, CID is incorrect
D8S is incorrect, DAY is correct

I've logged some flights on 4-engine jets at DAY and CMH (DL DC8, TW 707, and NW BAe 146) ... I seem to remember UA doing a late-night IAD-CMH and a sunrise return (~1990?) with a D8S, but that may have been a one-off
Old May 28, 2020, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
one for three ... TUS is correct

note that I forgot to give you credit for the right destination of the AA flight in your initial answer (post 19111 above, edited)

the jets should fall into place pretty quickly now --

outbound:
CVL is correct, MEM is incorrect
727 is incorrect, SFO is incorrect

return:
OMA is incorrect
737 is incorrect, CID is incorrect
D8S is incorrect, DAY is correct

I've logged some flights on 4-engine jets at DAY and CMH (DL DC8, TW 707, and NW BAe 146) ... I seem to remember UA doing a late-night IAD-CMH and a sunrise return (~1990?) with a D8S, but that may have been a one-off
I thought the "Stretch 8" seemed like overkill for an ORD-DAY-CMH flight after I made that guess. Given that segment 2 is not a 727 I think that rules out any UA flights between the Southeast and California. This is starting to feel more like a trip that starts with a flight north to a major hub of the old Capital Airlines system.

(1) Outbound Flight 1: UA CVL TYS-DCA
(2) Outbound Flight 2: UA 737 DCA-ORD
(3) Outbound Flight 3: UA 720 ORD-PDX
(5) Return Flight 2: UA DC8 SFO-LAX
(6) Return Flight 3: UA D8S LAX-MKC-ORD
(7) Return Flight 4: UA 727 ORD-DAY-CMH

Last edited by Herb687; May 28, 2020 at 12:03 pm Reason: edit
Old May 28, 2020, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Many thanks to jrl767 for his short set of questions. I apologize for my absence - I've been down in Denali trying to get a sense of what this summer season is going to look like and we don't have our community internet up and running just yet. As it is, the Park is planning to open on July 1st. I am still not entirely sure I'll be driving this season, but regardless I should be in good shape on a consistent internet connection after tomorrow.

When jrl767's questions play out, I do have another 30 questions or so ready to go if you want them. That said, perhaps one of you have a few questions you'd like to submit in which case I shall happily defer to your efforts. Lemme know...
Old May 28, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA
1- It’s mid January and you are about to embark on a ten-week project in the Boston area. From your home near Columbus OH, you can take a direct flight with four stops and arrive shortly before 10pm. The same airline also offers a four-stop option that departs CMH an hour earlier; you’ll begin on a one-stop flight aboard a different aircraft type to a connecting city, where you’ll catch a two-stop flight (on the first type) to BOS and arrive a few minutes before 9pm.

1A- Please identify the airline, all four stops in sequence, and the equipment for the direct flight.

1B- Please identify both aircraft types, the connecting city, and all stops in order.
Let me have a run at this one. Columbus to Boston, 1969, the obvious carrier is TWA. But maybe that's too easy, there are probably too many stops as well. So who else ? I can't think of another main line carrier that would do. Mohawk never got to Columbus I believe, so what about Allegheny ? Both aircraft types ? I think that would mean a DC-9 and a Convair 580.

4 stops from Columbus, not a lot of DC-9s in the Allegheny fleet in 1969, I think that's the Convair. Which way ? Columbus-Pittsburgh-Harrisburg-Baltimore-Hartford-Boston. Something like that.

4 stops changing at No 2 ? Starts on a DC-9, Columbus-Pittsburgh-Philadelphia. Change there to a Convair. Philadelphia-Hartford-Providence-Boston.
Old May 28, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought the "Stretch 8" seemed like overkill for an ORD-DAY-CMH flight after I made that guess. Given that segment 2 is not a 727 I think that rules out any UA flights between the Southeast and California. This is starting to feel more like a trip that starts with a flight north to a major hub of the old Capital Airlines system.

(1) Outbound Flight 1: UA CVL TYS-DCA
(2) Outbound Flight 2: UA 737 DCA-ORD
(6) Return Flight 3: UA D8S LAX-MKC-ORD
(7) Return Flight 4: UA 727 ORD-DAY-CMH
wrong ex-CA hub

outbound:
DCA is incorrect
737 is incorrect, ORD is correct
return:
LAX is correct
D8S is incorrect, MKC is incorrect
727 is incorrect
Old May 28, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wrong ex-CA hub
outbound:
DCA is incorrect
737 is incorrect, ORD is correct
return:
LAX is correct
D8S is incorrect, MKC is incorrect
727 is incorrect
Before I go on, can I recap what's been ruled in and ruled out?

(1) Outbound Flight 1: UA CVL TYS- [NOT dca/mem/hsv]
(2) Outbound Flight 2: UA [not 737, not 727] [NOT dca/mem/hsv] - ORD
(6) Return Flight 3: UA [not D8S, not 737] LAX- [NOT mkc/den/slc/oma] - ORD
(7) Return Flight 4: UA [not D8S, not 727, not CVL] ORD-DAY-CMH

Is the above correct with regards to what's been ruled out so far?

Last edited by Herb687; May 28, 2020 at 3:02 pm Reason: colors
Old May 28, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

updating ...

Here’s a short 1969 quiz to pass the time:

1- It’s mid January and you are about to embark on a ten-week project in the Boston area. From your home near Columbus OH, you can take a direct flight with four stops and arrive shortly before 10pm. The same airline also offers a four-stop option that departs CMH an hour earlier; you’ll begin on a one-stop flight aboard a different aircraft type to a connecting city, where you’ll catch a two-stop flight (on the first type) to BOS and arrive a few minutes before 9pm.

1A- Please identify the airline, all four stops in sequence, and the equipment for the direct flight.

1B- Please identify both aircraft types, the connecting city, and all stops in order.

2- As the Boston effort is wrapping up, you start looking into ways to get to your next project in Monterey TN, and are pleased to find a direct Saturday evening flight into the closest major airport. Please identify the airline, equipment, all three stops in order, and the destination airport.
AA into Nashville/BNA
equipment is not a BAC 1-11 "400 Astrojet"
stops are not LGA, PHL, DCA

3- Friends have invited you to join them over Mother’s Day weekend in Long Beach before you return to Columbus. From your arrival airport, the earliest direct service to LAX the morning you need to depart is a two-stop flight that arrives at 7am (which translates to a 3am departure), and the next one (on the same airline, but a different type of jet) is a three-stop that doesn’t arrive until almost 1230pm. Surprisingly, the Eastern Airlines flight to Atlanta is sold out that morning, and more surprisingly Delta doesn’t serve the departure city at all.

Looking at the second closest airport to Monterey (less than 10 miles farther away), you find an early DL flight that connects to their 1030am ATL-LAX. It has an enroute stop, so you figure that it’ll be pretty much a wash to drive to ATL. A conversation with the rental car company reveals that the additional 130-some miles to ATL, along with a higher drop charge, will add over $100 to your total, so you book the two connecting Delta flights.

You call your friends back to advise them of your 1140am arrival time, and are stunned to learn that the rendezvous is actually in Long Beach, WA.

Nothing like a challenge! After an hour of so of research, you find a way to make the entire trip — from Tennessee to the Pacific Northwest and back to Ohio — on a single airline. You’ll fly exactly once on all seven types of jet equipment that the carrier operates. Your three outbound segments are all nonstops, as are two of your four returning flights; the other two each make one stop.

3A- Please identify the airline, equipment types, and all stops in sequence on the two direct flights.

3B- Please identify the originating airport, the intermediate stop, and the two equipment types for the DL trip.

3C- Please identify the airline you’ll actually be flying, the three types of aircraft, the two connection airports, and the destination of the outbound trip.

3D- Please identify the routing (including the intermediate stop where applicable) and aircraft type for each of the four return flights.

UA; three remaining aircraft types are 737, 727, D8S
outbound
1- Caravelle, TYS-XXX (XXX is not HSV, MEM, DCA)
2- <type>, XXX-ORD
3- 720, ORD-PDX

return
1- DC8, PDX-SFO
2- 72S, SFO-LAX
3- <type>, LAX-YYY-ORD (YYY is not SLC, DEN, OMA, MKC)
4- <type>, ORD-DAY-CMH
Old May 28, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it now?

(1) UA CVL TYS-PIT
(2) UA D8S PIT-ORD
(3) UA 720 ORD-PDX
(4) UA DC8 PDX-SFO
(5) UA 72S SFO-LAX
(6) UA 727 LAX-LAS-ORD
(7) UA 737 ORD-DAY-CMH

Question though about flights 4 & 5: In a previous guess I had a 727-200 on flight 4 and standard DC-8 on segment 5 and those were called correct at the time. I see in the post above post this one though that it looks like it's DC-8 from PDX and 72S from SFO so the revised guess includes that update.

Last edited by Herb687; May 28, 2020 at 5:05 pm Reason: update
Old May 28, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(1) UA CVL TYS-PIT
(2) UA D8S PIT-ORD
(3) UA 720 ORD-PDX
(4) UA DC8 PDX-SFO
(5) UA 72S SFO-LAX
(6) UA 727 LAX-LAS-ORD
(7) UA 737 ORD-DAY-CMH
that would be entirely CORRECT

Last edited by jrl767; May 28, 2020 at 9:31 pm Reason: add quote for completeness
Old May 28, 2020, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2- As the Boston effort is wrapping up, you start looking into ways to get to your next project in Monterey TN, and are pleased to find a direct Saturday evening flight into the closest major airport. Please identify the airline, equipment, all three stops in order, and the destination airport.
AA into Nashville/BNA ~ Equipment is not a BAC 1-11 "400 Astrojet" ~ Stops are not LGA, PHL, DCA

Well if it's American down to Nashville from Boston, and LGA, PHL and DCA are not involved, then CLE must be. Let's walk it on down the line and go with a 727-23 "Astrojet" routing Boston --> Buffalo --> Cleveland --> Cincinnati --> Nashville.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
AA into Nashville/BNA ~ Equipment is not a BAC 1-11 "400 Astrojet" ~ Stops are not LGA, PHL, DCA

Well if it's American down to Nashville from Boston, and LGA, PHL and DCA are not involved, then CLE must be. Let's walk it on down the line and go with a 727-23 "Astrojet" routing Boston --> Buffalo --> Cleveland --> Cincinnati --> Nashville.
BUF is incorrect
CLE and CVG are correct

AA took delivery of their first 727-223 (N6801) in Feb 1968, and the timetable only indicates “727” throughout ... so we will call this correct
Old May 28, 2020, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA into Nashville/BNA ~ Equipment is 727 ~ Stops are CLE, CVG ~ Stops are not LGA, PHL, DCA, BUF

Well I'm thinking the stop between BOS and CLE has gotta be in New York, and with three more cities to choose from, lets try Syracuse next...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.