Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Fokker 100 for the TXL > LGW flight
29. Yes indeed! Here are the scheds......

BA* 3425: Berlin Tegel (TXF) 07:50 - 08:45 London Gatwick (LGW)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: C/Y
Equip: Fokker 100
Note: operated by Deutsche BA

Connecting to......

BA 163: London Gatwick (LGW) 10:50 - 16:10 Grand Cayman (GCM)
Freq: Fridays only
Equip: DC-10-30
Note: BA 163 continued on to Nassau (NAS) and then back to London Gatwick (LGW)

British Airways via the previously discussed arrangement kindly noted by WHBM was also operating a second weekly flight at this time from London to Grand Cayman with this service making an intermediate stop en route. Here's that sched....

BA 163: London Gatwick (LGW) 11:50 - 16:30 Nassau (NAS) 17:30 (est.) - 18:50 Grand Cayman (GCM)
Freq: Tuesdays only
Equip: DC-10-30
Old May 21, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
1- prior to the jet age, flights traversing mid-latitude TATL routes generally stopped at Santa Maria (SMA) in the Azores; while there were some nonstop services to Europe from Recife (REC), many flights went via Dakar (DKR), but irrespective of that I have a very hard time picturing any airline operating MEX-XXX-REC-LIS

that said, the fact that there are a limited number of reasonable stopping points between MEX and SMA strongly suggests this flight was a Cubana L-1049G “Super G” Constellation, with the first two stops being Havana (HAV) and Bermuda (BDA)
1. Ah, it wasn't Cubana, the aircraft wasn't a Constellation of any type and stops were not made at Havana or Bermuda.

However, one of the two flights in question did indeed make a stop at Santa Maria (SMA) in the Azores.
Old May 21, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
Oh wow, that's the year my dad moved from Vancouver to Jackson to take a job (which paved the way for my parents to meet and me to be born a few years later). He drove, but I still feel compelled to take a stab at this, even though I really have no idea.

I seem to recall prior to the move, he took a couple trips to Houston for a conference, and it was a Continental DC-10 with a stop in DEN. But since there was limited transborder service then, I'm guessing he drove to SEA for this flight. In 1979, in the wake of deregulation, airlines were beginning to expand into new markets, but I'm thinking United was the only one in both Vancouver and Jackson at that point, so let's try a UA 727 via SEA, DEN, and ORD.
12. A logical guess! However, it wasn't United, the aircraft wasn't a B727-100, the first stop was not made at Seattle and the third stop was not made at Chicago O'Hare.

But the good news here is the second stop was indeed made at Denver (DEN).

And now to the chainsaw and some serious tree trimming in the backyard on a sunny day......
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; May 21, 2020 at 3:17 pm Reason: yard work
Old May 21, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
19. It's 1985 on a Friday morning and you are in Port au Prince, Haiti where you've just delivered a sailboat. You need to travel to Los Angeles and have found a connecting service operated by one airline with a convenient afternoon departure. Your first flight only operates once a week and will travel nonstop to your connecting city where you'll have one hour and ten minutes to connect. Your second flight also only operates once a week on a nonstop basis to LAX. Different aircraft are utilized on each flight and first class is available on both flights. Identify the airline, the connecting city and both aircraft types.
19- I recall Air Jamaica running an A300 to LAX, and 1x/weekly doesn't seem unrealistic ... I'll guess that it came in from Montego Bay (MBJ), possibly following a short tag from Kingson (KIN), and that the hop from PAP was probably a DC-9-30
Old May 21, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: BA
5. [1967]
This airline was operating nonstop flights between East Midlands in the UK and Rotterdam at this time featuring "Golden Wing" service including full hot meal meals. Name the air carrier.
A 1967 flight between two somewhat obscure airports could only be a couple of contenders, but "Golden Wing" gives the hint that it's yet another of Squadron Leader Jack Jones' attempts at a service with Channel Airways. Rotterdam was actually well known to them, served from their Southend base, a short hop that you can almost, though not quite, see across. Aircraft could be anything from his menagerie, but let's go for his latest acquisitions then (and possibly the only ones with hot food galleys), the entire former Continental Viscount 800 fleet, put into service with the Continental gold/black livery (hence the marketing slogan), just the name changed. They even used the same font. If the engineer was good at prising off the old name letters they would only need a new "h" to change Continental to Channel.

[also 1967] You enjoyed the "Golden Wing" service on your flight to Rotterdam for your meeting and soon it will be time to head over to London. The problem is you're not quite sure when the meeting will conclude so flexibility will be required concerning your travel plans. Fortunately, one airline operates four nonstop flights a day from Rotterdam to London so you elect to travel with them when you're ready. The same aircraft type is operated on all four flights. Identify the air carrier and the equipment
Actually a longstanding service until very recent times by KLM, possibly their only operation from Rotterdam. So longstanding that they did it in the 1930s with DC-2s, and were still running it a short while ago with Fokker 70s. This was to Heathrow. Aircraft in 1967 ? They probably still had their Viscounts.

Last edited by WHBM; May 21, 2020 at 11:48 am
Old May 21, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
1. Ah, it wasn't Cubana, the aircraft wasn't a Constellation of any type and stops were not made at Havana or Bermuda.

However, one of the two flights in question did indeed make a stop at Santa Maria (SMA) in the Azores.
  • "not a Connie" certainly rules out Iberia (as well as Air France and Lufthansa, although their MEX services went thru New York)
  • San Juan (SJU) seems to be a reasonable point from which a DC-6 or DC-7 could make LIS, but I'm at a loss for any airline besides Aeronaves de Mexico that might have run MEX-XXX-SJU
  • so in keeping with the recent north-of-the-border theme, how about Canadian Pacific via Toronto (YYZ) and Montreal (YUL) ... this would have probably been a DC-6, as their flagship Britannias were on the routes from western Canada to Europe and the Pacific
Old May 21, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19- I recall Air Jamaica running an A300 to LAX, and 1x/weekly doesn't seem unrealistic ... I'll guess that it came in from Montego Bay (MBJ), possibly following a short tag from Kingson (KIN), and that the hop from PAP was probably a DC-9-30
19. Air Jamaica is correct! However, the flight from Port au Prince nonstop to Montego Bay wasn't operated with a DC9-30 although the flight from Montego Bay nonstop to Los Angeles was operated with an A300. And we await the tap-in concerning the equipment operated by JM from PAP to MBJ.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
5. A 1967 flight between two somewhat obscure airports could only be a couple of contenders, but "Golden Wing" gives the hint that it's yet another of Squadron Leader Jack Jones' attempts at a service with Channel Airways. Rotterdam was actually well known to them, served from their Southend base, a short hop that you can almost, though not quite, see across. Aircraft could be anything from his menagerie, but let's go for his latest acquisitions then (and possibly the only ones with hot food galleys), the entire former Continental Viscount 800 fleet, put into service with the Continental gold/black livery (hence the marketing slogan), just the name changed. They even used the same font. If the engineer was good at prising off the old name letters they would only need a new "h" to change Continental to Channel.

6. Actually a longstanding service until very recent times by KLM, possibly their only operation from Rotterdam. So longstanding that they did it in the 1930s with DC-2s, and were still running it a short while ago with Fokker 70s. This was to Heathrow. Aircraft in 1967 ? They probably still had their Viscounts.

5. Yes indeed, it was Channel Airways. And the actual equipment wasn't specified on the route although "BAC One-Eleven Continental Golden Jets", the "58-seat Hawker Siddeley 748 Prop-jet" and the "83-seat Golden Viscount 812" are mentioned in the Channel Airways timetable. Here's a page from that timetable:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...w67/cw67-3.jpg

6. KLM is correct, of course. However, the aircraft type operated on all four flights from Rotterdam to London wasn't the Viscount. Which means......please guess again, sir!
Old May 21, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
12. Now it's 1979 and you are back in Vancouver. Your next meeting is way down south in Dixie in Jackson, Mississippi. This should be interesting, you think, with several connections most likely being required.....however, you are amazed to find a direct, no change of plane flight which operates daily from YVR to JAN with only three stops being made en route. Name the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.
It wasn't United, the aircraft wasn't a B727-100, the first stop was not made at SEA and the third stop was not made at ORD. The second stop was made at Denver (DEN).

I was thinking from the get-go that this was probably Frontier. I remember when Frontier first started service to Vancouver, it had a 3 day promotion where tickets were $3 each way. People were camped out at Stapleton trying to get that fare! The flight routed through Spokane but I don't remember the promotion being valid to there. Anyway, let's go with Frontier operating a 737-200 routing YVR - GEG - DEN - LIT - JAN

10. In 1973, this airline ran a print ad introducing its new DC-10 aircraft which it called the "Big Ten". Name the air carrier. And here's a hint: the airline in question was not based in the U.S.

Any chance this might have been Singapore Airlines? It had a penchant for naming its aircraft...
strickerj likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

......So in keeping with the recent north-of-the-border theme, how about Canadian Pacific via Toronto (YYZ) and Montreal (YUL) ... this would have probably been a DC-6, as their flagship Britannias were on the routes from western Canada to Europe and the Pacific
1. Canadian Pacific is correct! And the aircraft was actually a Douglas DC-6B "Empress". Here's the relevant page from a 1958 Canadian Pacific timetable with the scheds.....

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...p58/cp58-2.jpg
Old May 21, 2020, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19- the JM flight from PAP to MBJ was a 727-200
Old May 21, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
12. Now it's 1979 and you are back in Vancouver. Your next meeting is way down south in Dixie in Jackson, Mississippi. This should be interesting, you think, with several connections most likely being required.....however, you are amazed to find a direct, no change of plane flight which operates daily from YVR to JAN with only three stops being made en route. Name the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.
It wasn't United, the aircraft wasn't a B727-100, the first stop was not made at SEA and the third stop was not made at ORD. The second stop was made at Denver (DEN).

I was thinking from the get-go that this was probably Frontier. I remember when Frontier first started service to Vancouver, it had a 3 day promotion where tickets were $3 each way. People were camped out at Stapleton trying to get that fare! The flight routed through Spokane but I don't remember the promotion being valid to there. Anyway, let's go with Frontier operating a 737-200 routing YVR - GEG - DEN - LIT - JAN

10. In 1973, this airline ran a print ad introducing its new DC-10 aircraft which it called the "Big Ten". Name the air carrier. And here's a hint: the airline in question was not based in the U.S.

Any chance this might have been Singapore Airlines? It had a penchant for naming its aircraft...
12. Good ole Frontier Airlines is correct! Here's the sched.....

FL 130: Vancouver (YVR) 7:00a - 7:47a Spokane (GEG) 8:07a - 11:11a Denver (DEN) 11:47a - 2:40p Little Rock (LIT) 3:00p - 3:38p Jackson (JAN)
Freq: Daily
Service class: S
Meal services: Snack YVR-GEG, Lunch DEN-LIT
Equip: B737-200

10. Nope! Please guess again, sir!
strickerj likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

19- the JM flight from PAP to MBJ was a 727-200
19. Yep! Here are the scheds.....

JM 064: Port au Prince (PAP) 2:30p - 3:35p Montego Bay (MBJ)
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: No, mon....but how about a real nice rum drink?
Equip: B727-200

Connecting to JM 055 in Montego Bay......

JM 055: Kingston (KIN) 2:50p - 3:20p Montego Bay (MBJ) 4:45p - 8:05p Los Angeles (LAX)
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Dinner
Equip: A300
Old May 21, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA

5. Yes indeed, it was Channel Airways. And the actual equipment wasn't specified on the route although "BAC One-Eleven Continental Golden Jets", the "58-seat Hawker Siddeley 748 Prop-jet" and the "83-seat Golden Viscount 812" are mentioned in the Channel Airways timetable. Here's a page from that timetable:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...w67/cw67-3.jpg
Thank you. And I looked at that timetable and thought "that's a long time to get from Rotterdam to East Midlands". And then looked at the timetable for East Midlands to Southend (not a trunk route by any means) at bottom right of the same page and found the arrival and departure times at East Midlands were the same. Worked through their other timetable pages and found they had done the same thing throughout - a little hub at their base at Southend, and all combinations presented in separate tables as if they were nonstop; different flight numbers, no mention of any connections at all. Oh, Squadron Leader Jones ! Coming from Rotterdam, as they were selling domestic seats on to East Midlands, all the passengers would have to get out to go through customs there. The Hot Dinner is a bit of an issue, as on neither of the separate two legs is any catering shown, so I wonder how they did that. 10 minutes in the Southend airport canteen maybe ?

Chances were you might get their De Havilland Dove on one of the legs.

6. KLM is correct, of course. However, the aircraft type operated on all four flights from Rotterdam to London wasn't the Viscount. Which means......please guess again, sir![/QUOTE]Had they moved on to the Electra ?
Old May 21, 2020, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Thank you. And I looked at that timetable and thought "that's a long time to get from Rotterdam to East Midlands". And then looked at the timetable for East Midlands to Southend (not a trunk route by any means) at bottom right of the same page and found the arrival and departure times at East Midlands were the same. Worked through their other timetable pages and found they had done the same thing throughout - a little hub at their base at Southend, and all combinations presented in separate tables as if they were nonstop; different flight numbers, no mention of any connections at all. Oh, Squadron Leader Jones ! Coming from Rotterdam, as they were selling domestic seats on to East Midlands, all the passengers would have to get out to go through customs there. The Hot Dinner is a bit of an issue, as on neither of the separate two legs is any catering shown, so I wonder how they did that. 10 minutes in the Southend airport canteen maybe ?

Chances were you might get their De Havilland Dove on one of the legs.

6. KLM is correct, of course. However, the aircraft type operated on all four flights from Rotterdam to London wasn't the Viscount. Which means......please guess again, sir!
You're welcome!

Had they moved on to the Electra ?

6. And yes, KLM was operating the Electra II between Rotterdam and London at this time. Here's a page from a 1967 KLM timetable with the scheds....

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...04/kl67-10.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.