Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Braniff Int'l from Dallas DFW
18. Correct! Here's the sched....

BN 602: Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 6:30p - 9:15a+1 London Gatwick (LGW)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 747

And interesting to note this was indeed the only 747 service into Gatwick at this time as other wide body flights were operated with DC-10 equipment by British Caledonian and Caribbean Airways, and also with the L-1011-500 operated by Delta.

Last edited by jlemon; May 19, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Old May 19, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
7. If you wanted to fly on board a de Havilland Comet from Helsinki nonstop to London at this time, what airline would you call?

Let's start with the obvious choice - BEA

8. Now you are in Montreal and need to travel to San Antonio for a meeting. Well, you figure at least one connection will be required....but then you find a direct flight with no change of plane service which will make three stops en route. Name the air carrier, all three stops in order and the aircraft.

When I hear Montreal and San Antonio in the same sentence, I think Eastern Airlines. As to the route, let's try Montreal - New York JFK - Atlanta - Houston - San Antonio aboard a Boeing 720
7. British European is correct! Here's the sched.....

BE 771: Helsinki (HEL) 14:50 - 16:45 London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Tuesdays,Thursdays and Saturdays only
Equip: Comet

8. You're off to an excellent start here as the airline in question was indeed Eastern and the flight stopped at JFK and HOU. However, it did not stop at ATL and the aircraft wasn't a Boeing 720. Please guess again, sir!
Old May 19, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
8. Now you are in Montreal and need to travel to San Antonio for a meeting. Well, you figure at least one connection will be required....but then you find a direct flight with no change of plane service which will make three stops en route. Name the air carrier, all three stops in order and the aircraft.

Per jlemon: You're off to an excellent start here as the airline in question was indeed Eastern and the flight stopped at JFK and HOU. However, it did not stop at ATL and the aircraft wasn't a Boeing 720. Please guess again, sir!

Alright, I will. 1967... this could be a DC-8 or a 727-100... Let's go with the Boeing routing YUL - JFK - MSY - IAH - SAT
Old May 19, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
2- keeping with the southern Caribbean theme, let's try KLM to Curacao/CUR connecting to a DC-8
25- CP (full name was now Canadian Airlines), with the first leg on a 737-200

Last edited by jrl767; May 19, 2020 at 2:46 pm
Old May 19, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Per jlemon: You're off to an excellent start here as the airline in question was indeed Eastern and the flight stopped at JFK and HOU. However, it did not stop at ATL and the aircraft wasn't a Boeing 720. Please guess again, sir!

Alright, I will. 1967... this could be a DC-8 or a 727-100... Let's go with the Boeing routing YUL - JFK - MSY - IAH - SAT
8. Correct! Although IAH wasn't open yet. Here's the sched.....

EA 69: Montreal Dorval (YUL) 7:10a - 8:20a New York Kennedy (JFK) 9:00a - 10:44a New Orleans (MSY) 11:15a - 12:10p Houston Hobby (HOU) 12:35p - 1:18p San Antonio (SAT)
Meal service: Breakfast YUL-JFK & JFK-MSY
Equip: 727
Old May 19, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
2- keeping with the southern Caribbean theme, let's try KLM to Curacao/CUR connecting to a DC-8

25- CP (full name was now Canadian Airlines), with the first leg on a 737-200
2. Nope, it wasn't KLM and the connection wasn't made at Curacao.....but on the plus side of the column, the second flight was indeed operated with a DC8.

25. No surprises here.....and here's the sched.......

CP 111: Monterrey (MTY) 4:30p - 9:19p Toronto (YYZ)
Freq: Saturdays only
Service classes: C/Y
Equip: 73S

Connecting to......

CP 88: Toronto (YYZ) 10:30p - 11:05a+1 London Heathrow (LHR)
Service classes: C/Y
Equip: 763
Old May 19, 2020, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
2- 1963, AUA-XXX-IDL; DC-6 connecting to DC-8; not VA over CCS or KL over CUR
the equipment would probably fit for Pan Am, but I don't recall that they served AUA; as far as other national carriers, Air France didn't fly to IDL from the Caribbean islands; Air Jamaica and ALM hadn't yet come into existence; Avianca and BWIA didn't have DC-8s ... I'm scratching my head in puzzlement, but the only other geographically workable possibility looks to be Dominicana de Aviacion via Santo Domingo (SDQ) ...
Old May 19, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
2- 1963, AUA-XXX-IDL; DC-6 connecting to DC-8; not VA over CCS or KL over CUR
the equipment would probably fit for Pan Am, but I don't recall that they served AUA; as far as other national carriers, Air France didn't fly to IDL from the Caribbean islands; Air Jamaica and ALM hadn't yet come into existence; Avianca and BWIA didn't have DC-8s ... I'm scratching my head in puzzlement, but the only other geographically workable possibility looks to be Dominicana de Aviacion via Santo Domingo (SDQ) ...
2. Nope, it wasn't Dominicana and the connection was not made via Santo Domingo.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
27. Once again you are back in Vancouver and this time you are on your way to Lima, Peru. There's no direct service from YVR to LIM these days so a connection will be required. And one airline has told you they can get you there all the way in the front cabin via two different nonstop flights both operated on a daily basis with each flight featuring the same aircraft type. You'll also have two hours and five minutes to make your convenient connection. Name the airline, the connecting city and the equipment.
Not sure if this answer is a decade too late, but CP/Canadian again via YYZ on DC-10-30s. CP used to operate a YYZ-LIM-SCL-EZE route but not sure if it still did in the mid '90s
Old May 19, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA
Two airlines were operating nonstop service from Los Angeles to Moscow at this time (1996). Neither flight operated on a daily basis but the same aircraft type was operated on these services. Name both air carriers and the aircraft type
I think these two were Aeroflot and Transaero, both with a Boeing 767.

29. [also 1996] "So how the heck are we going to get to Grand Cayman?!" That's the question posed by your old sailboat buddy as you finish your dinner in Berlin. You have a plan, of course, as one airline has told you they can get you there via a convenient connection. Your first flight will depart from Berlin Tegel (TXF) in the morning nonstop to your connecting airport and is actually a code share service for the airline you will be flying on later that day. You will then have two hours and five minutes to connect to your nonstop flight to Grand Cayman. Your first flight will be on board a narrow body jet and your second flight will be on board a wide body. Identify the airline operating the first flight, the connecting airport, the airline operating the second flight and the equipment operated on each flight
Berlin and Grand Cayman in 1996 on one airline is difficult to think of anyone apart from British Airways. First leg being on Deutsche BA, which was the old Berlin Corridor BA operation rebadged as a new carrier, but owned by BA, on a 737-300 to London Gatwick. Then, in 1996 BA-badged flights to the Caribbean from Gatwick were run by an odd organisation called Aircraft Management Ltd, a joint venture between BA and UK holiday airline of the era Flying Colours. So, holiday airline seat pitch and crew, but BA livery and flight number. They had a couple of DC-10-30s (onetime British Caledonian ones) seconded from BA.

So two different operators, both with BA-lookalike liveries but neither strictly BA. Both would have the great every-tailfin-different artwork of that BA livery era.

Last edited by WHBM; May 19, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Old May 19, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Not sure if this answer is a decade too late, but CP/Canadian again via YYZ on DC-10-30s. CP used to operate a YYZ-LIM-SCL-EZE route but not sure if it still did in the mid '90s
27. That is an excellent guess! And I indeed thought of CP Air when I posed this question as back in 1976 CP was operating two flights a week both flown with the Super DC8 from Vancouver down to South America via stops in Mexico. On Fridays, the service would operate Vancouver (YVR) - Mexico City (MEX) - Acapulco (ACA) - Lima (LIM) - Santiago (SCL). And on Sundays the routing was Vancouver (YVR) - Guadalajara (GDL) - Mexico City (MEX) - Lima (LIM) - Santiago (SCL) - Buenos Aires (EZE).

However, at this time the airline in question wasn't Canadian, the connection was not made in Toronto and the aircraft type wasn't a DC-10-30 or any other version of the DC-10. Please guess again, sir!
Old May 19, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
28. I think these two were Aeroflot and Transaero, both with a Boeing 767.

29. Berlin and Grand Cayman in 1996 on one airline is difficult to think of anyone apart from British Airways. First leg being on Deutsche BA, which was the old Berlin Corridor BA operation rebadged as a new carrier, but owned by BA, on a 737-300 to London Gatwick. Then, in 1996 BA-badged flights to the Caribbean from Gatwick were run by an odd organisation called Aircraft Management Ltd, a joint venture between BA and UK holiday airline of the era Flying Colours. So, holiday airline seat pitch and crew, but BA livery and flight number. They had a couple of DC-10-30s (onetime British Caledonian ones) seconded from BA.

So two different operators, both with BA-lookalike liveries but neither strictly BA. Both would have the great every-tailfin-different artwork of that BA livery era.

One of the air carriers in question was definitely Transaero. However, the other airline wasn't Aeroflot but was a carrier I've never heard of until I posed this quiz item. And both air carriers were not operating any version of the Boeing 767 on the route. BTW, many years ago I was on board a Continental flight taxiing out to runway at LAX as we prepared to depart in the general direction of Texas. And from my window seat, I could see a Transaero aircraft taxiing toward its gate. "Hmmm", I thought, "that paint scheme on the Transaero airplane sure looks like the one used by a U.S. based air carrier......."

29. Ah, WHBM.....I have to be careful here as the vast majority of the time you have the extremely interesting background information pertaining to my quiz items concerning European air carriers, especially those based in the UK. And for that I am eternally grateful as your participation in the OTAQ&D makes it very worthwhile for all of us. For example, I had no idea with regard to the Aircraft Management Ltd. arrangement involving BA.

And yes, you are correct! We are talking about BA here via a connection at London Gatwick. Deutsche BA was indeed the air carrier operating the first flight from Berlin....but not with a B737-300. And the second flight nonstop from LGW to GCM was operated with a DC-10-30. So all we need now is the equipment operated from TXF and LGW. Well done, sir!
Old May 19, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

Again. Same a/c type would indicate either a central american airline and I don't think any flew to YVR at the time, or a U.S.airline that had a long, narrow route. Let's try AA 757-200 YVR-DFW-LIM.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:56 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

How about Tower Air?

They flew predominantly to TLV, used only B747's and even had a dedicated terminal building at JFK (I think the building still exists and is used for cargo purposes).

The only thing that does not match are occasional domestic flights to LAX and MIA they operated.
Old May 19, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

Again. Same a/c type would indicate either a central american airline and I don't think any flew to YVR at the time, or a U.S.airline that had a long, narrow route. Let's try AA 757-200 YVR-DFW-LIM.
27. Well, you are now over the threshold and about to touch down here.....as it was American operating the B757-200 on both flights. However, surprisingly, the connection was not made at Dallas/Fort Worth. So all we need to know now is where these flights connected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.