Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
UA STL-ORD-ALB-ISP with a 733?

An excellent guess, Herb. This is a tough one given the number of carriers that serve ISP from points south and west. That said, I don't recall United ever serving ISP with mainline equipment. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking United Express out of IAD yes, but with 737s or larger, no. In any event, the airline we're looking for did operate a 737 on this route, but along an entirely different routing. Please, do have another go at this one!

I was fairly certain that UA did visit Ronald Konkoma with mainline jets so I checked some of the OAGs at Departed Flights. The Feb 1985 edition shows UA operating two daily 727s ORD-ISP. By 1989 though, no UA service at all to ISP. In 1991, UA had returned in the form of J31 props from IAD operated by Atlantic Coast Airlines (whose later history will certainly make for interesting quiz questions here ).

Anyway, back to the Blues to Islanders journey, maybe it was USAir operating through their BWI sort-of hub?
How about US with a 737 operating STL-SDF-BWI-ISP?

Piedmont 737-200?
Another good guess, but no - the airline we're looking for was operating a considerably larger jet on this route...
Since the jet is "considerably larger", I will guess EA with a 757.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
57. (1998) From your home in Scottsdale, Arizona you need to travel to Montreal, Quebec for a symposium on light rail options and operations hosted by Bombardier, one of the world's largest companies in the rail vehicle and equipment manufacturing and servicing industry. With plenty of time available to you before the symposium, you decide to have a bit of fun with your flights out to Montreal. To wit, you’ve found a combination of flights that will allow you to
I seem to remember BA operating into PIT with a stop in Montréal so let's go with PIT-YMX on BA (-200) and given the first stop of the itinerary, Midway Airlines II from MDW-PIT on the 737.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; May 17, 2020 at 11:51 am Reason: variant addition
Old May 17, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
(1998) From your home in Scottsdale, Arizona you need to travel to Montreal, Quebec for a symposium on light rail options and operations hosted by Bombardier, one of the world's largest companies in the rail vehicle and equipment manufacturing and servicing industry. With plenty of time available to you before the symposium, you decide to have a bit of fun with your flights out to Montreal.
Better solution and much more fun: demand that Bombardier send a demonstrator and transport you in a new Global Express!
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
38. (1998) You’re seated aboard the only flight between New York and Las Vegas that markets a Business Class or “C” class seat. Well what the heck – it’s cheaper than everyone else’s First Class so you’ve decided to splurge! Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying aboard.
38- TWA’s three-cabin wide-body jets featured “Royal Ambassador” service in F and “Ambassador” in C; in 1998 I’d guess the JFK-LAS trip was operated by a Lockheed L-1011
45. (1995) Duty calls in the form of a sales call next week out in Albuquerque, New Mexico. From your home office in New Orleans, you figure you’ll probably have to connect in Houston or Dallas but are pleased to find a one stop direct flight that departs New Orleans each morning and arrives in Albuquerque with plenty of time left in the day to complete your business. You ask your secretary to book you a seat and then return your attention to the Metairie project.It's not Southwest, America West or Continental
45- time for a very wild guess on the equipment, not so much the airline or the routing ... American via DFW, with a Fokker 100

Last edited by jrl767; May 17, 2020 at 12:05 pm
Old May 17, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Herb687
40. (1988) From your home outside St. Louis, MO you need to fly back to Long Island for your 10th high school reunion at Connetquot High School. These days there’s a lot more service into nearby Long Island MacArthur Airport than there used to be, though you’re disappointed to find none from hometown airline TWA. Thankfully, the STL-ISP route is served by a single daily two-stop flight, so you quickly book a seat before pondering which clothes will make you look thinnest at the reunion. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order.

Maybe it was USAir operating through their BWI sort-of hub? How about US with a 737 operating STL-SDF-BWI-ISP?

Oooooo - you are edging ever so much closer to the answer . It wasn't US Air but the airline we're looking for operated a 737-300 and did indeed route through Baltimore. I believe we're now talking tap-in country here...

I was fairly certain that UA did visit Ronald Konkoma with mainline jets so I checked some of the OAGs at Departed Flights. The Feb 1985 edition shows UA operating two daily 727s ORD-ISP. By 1989 though, no UA service at all to ISP. In 1991, UA had returned in the form of J31 props from IAD operated by Atlantic Coast Airlines (whose later history will certainly make for interesting quiz questions here ).

Nice job of research there, Herb Therein lies one of the best aspects of the OTAQ&D - given the collective knowledge and experience of our participants, it's always possible to learn something new. 47. (1988) It had been a nice ride thus far – as buses go. You’d boarded the Grey Dog in Wilmington, DE earlier this evening and were headed to Scranton, PA when suddenly the driver came on over the PA and announced that there was some kind of a problem with the engine and he’d have to get off the road. Thankfully he was able to do so at a Sunoco Travel Plaza just off I-95 on the outskirts of Philadelphia. He then contacted dispatch on his radio only to be informed that a replacement bus wouldn’t be available until sometime after 11:30pm. Whaaat? No way! You need to be in Scranton before midnight! Maybe you could fly there. You call US Air whose agent informs you that their last flight of the night between Philly and AVP departs in 12 minutes. However, she’s kind enough to let you know that another airline has a flight departing Philly in about an hour and half, with a jet no less. Calls to that airline and then a taxi company prove fruitful and soon you’re on your way to AVP in First Class no less, courtesy of the FN/YN designated flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying upon.
Since the jet is "considerably larger", I will guess EA with a 757.

Right airline, wrong jet. Again, we're in tap-in country here. Hurry, hurry before someone tag-teams you!
Old May 17, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
57. (1998) From your home in Scottsdale, Arizona you need to travel to Montreal, Quebec for a symposium on light rail options and operations hosted by Bombardier, one of the world's largest companies in the rail vehicle and equipment manufacturing and servicing industry. With plenty of time available to you before the symposium, you decide to have a bit of fun with your flights out to Montreal. To wit, you’ve found a combination of flights that will allow you to
  • · Fly between PHX and YMX aboard a 727, 737 and 747 in that order.
  • The 727 and 737 flights are not variant specific
  • · Both the 727 and 737 flights will be in all-economy configurations with only the 747 offering premium class seaating
It’s worth noting that given the departure point of the 747 into YMX, one and only one routing meets the specifications outlined above, especially given the use of single class configured aircraft. BTW, you will overnight at the final connection point though this shouldn’t have any bearing on the parameters described above. Good luck, men!
I seem to remember BA operating into PIT with a stop in Montréal so let's go with PIT-YMX on BA (-200) and given the first stop of the itinerary, Midway Airlines II from MDW-PIT on the 737.

Good call, YVR ! BA operating its 747 out of Pittsburgh is correct! However, we're looking for a different 737 operator on the MDW-PIT route. We're almost there!
Old May 17, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
38. (1998) You’re seated aboard the only flight between New York and Las Vegas that markets a Business Class or “C” class seat. Well what the heck – it’s cheaper than everyone else’s First Class so you’ve decided to splurge! Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying aboard.

TWA’s three-cabin wide-body jets featured “Royal Ambassador” service in F and “Ambassador” in C; in 1998 I’d guess the JFK-LAS trip was operated by a Lockheed L-1011

Sadly, by 1998 TWA was no longer a player on the nonstop JFK-LAS market, much less any other New York area airport. Please, guess again!

45. (1995) Duty calls in the form of a sales call next week out in Albuquerque, New Mexico. From your home office in New Orleans, you figure you’ll probably have to connect in Houston or Dallas but are pleased to find a one stop direct flight that departs New Orleans each morning and arrives in Albuquerque with plenty of time left in the day to complete your business. You ask your secretary to book you a seat and then return your attention to the Metairie project.
It's not Southwest, America West or Continental

Time for a very wild guess on the equipment, not so much the airline or the routing ... American via DFW, with a Fokker 100

Not so wild... this seems quite plausible to me. After all AA used to run its 100s up to Colorado Springs. Still, per the schedule I used to reference this question AA was not offering a direct flight on the MSY-ABQ market. Please, guess again!
Old May 17, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
45- wild guess at a less-than-direct MSY-ABQ routing: Northwest with a 72S via MSP

Last edited by jrl767; May 17, 2020 at 5:09 pm
Old May 17, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Hopefully) tapping in here with a PI 733 stopping at both CLT and BWI enroute from STL to ISP.

And for the EA service PHL-AVP, a 72S.
Old May 17, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

45. (1995) Duty calls in the form of a sales call next week out in Albuquerque, New Mexico. From your home office in New Orleans, you figure you’ll probably have to connect in Houston or Dallas but are pleased to find a one stop direct flight that departs New Orleans each morning and arrives in Albuquerque with plenty of time left in the day to complete your business. You ask your secretary to book you a seat and then return your attention to the Metairie project.

Wild guess at a less-than-direct MSY-ABQ routing: Northwest with a 72S via MSP

OMG! I want what you've been drinking! Then again... Nope, it wasn't NW. I might add that there are some pretty convoluted routings shown in the itinerary sections of the OAG (such as say, DL operating BTV-DTW-ORD-STL-MEM-ATL- JAX-MIA) that would never be available for sale in their entirety, and as such you'll only see questions from me regarding flights that show up as sellable by virtue of their showing up between city pairs in the OAG. National used to show an 8 stop flight between New York and New Orleans and of course Northwest was famous for its milkruns across the High Plains. There were even a couple of flights shown with 9 or more stops signified by a "#" in the stops column. Here's a link to a portion of a trip report I wrote a few years ago with pictures of some of these schedules.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17630188-post2.html

Getting back to the question at hand, I think we're at a point where trial and error is eventually going to win out - at least with the airline. Good luck!
Old May 17, 2020, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
40. (1988) From your home outside St. Louis, MO you need to fly back to Long Island for your 10th high school reunion at Connetquot High School. These days there’s a lot more service into nearby Long Island MacArthur Airport than there used to be, though you’re disappointed to find none from hometown airline TWA. Thankfully, the STL-ISP route is served by a single daily two-stop flight, so you quickly book a seat before pondering which clothes will make you look thinnest at the reunion. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order.

(Hopefully) tapping in here with a PI 733 stopping at both CLT and BWI enroute from STL to ISP.

Right on, Herb! Piedmont it is. Here's the schedule:

Piedmont PI 560 St. Louis (STL) 1000a-1235p L Charlotte (CLT) 110p-225p S Baltimore (BWI) 309p-408p Long Island (ISP) 737-300 Daily

47. (1988) It had been a nice ride thus far – as buses go. You’d boarded the Grey Dog in Wilmington, DE earlier this evening and were headed to Scranton, PA when suddenly the driver came on over the PA and announced that there was some kind of a problem with the engine and he’d have to get off the road. Thankfully he was able to do so at a Sunoco Travel Plaza just off I-95 on the outskirts of Philadelphia. He then contacted dispatch on his radio only to be informed that a replacement bus wouldn’t be available until sometime after 11:30pm. Whaaat? No way! You need to be in Scranton before midnight! Maybe you could fly there. You call US Air whose agent informs you that their last flight of the night between Philly and AVP departs in 12 minutes. However, she’s kind enough to let you know that another airline has a flight departing Philly in about an hour and half, with a jet no less. Calls to that airline and then a taxi company prove fruitful and soon you’re on your way to AVP in First Class no less, courtesy of the FN/YN designated flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying upon.

And for the EA service PHL-AVP, a 72S.

That's the one we're looking for . It must be one of the shortest intrastate jet flights in the Keystone State.

Eastern EA 724 Philadelphia (PHL) 1024p-1059p Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AVP) 727-200 Daily
Old May 17, 2020, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're almost done here. Just four to go...

It's not TWA

A N S W E R E D

57. (1998) From your home in Scottsdale, Arizona you need to travel to Montreal, Quebec for a symposium on light rail options and operations hosted by Bombardier, one of the world's largest companies in the rail vehicle and equipment manufacturing and servicing industry. With plenty of time available to you before the symposium, you decide to have a bit of fun with your flights out to Montreal. To wit, you’ve found a combination of flights that will allow you to.
  • Fly between PHX and YMX aboard a 727, 737 and 747 in that order
  • Both the 727 and 737 flights will be in all-economy configurations with only the 747 offering premium class seating
  • The 727 and 737 flights are not variant specific
It’s worth noting that given the departure point of the 747 into YMX, one and only one routing meets the specifications outlined above, especially given the use of single class configured aircraft. BTW, you will overnight at the final connection point though this shouldn’t have any bearing on the parameters described above. Good luck, men!
A N S W E R E D

58. (1988) You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.
It's not EA or a DC-9 of any variant

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 18, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Old May 17, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

45- there IS one more airline that would have flown a very roundabout routing, but I’ll start with an only-slightly-indirect option — United via Denver/DEN; I’m pretty sure they had parked all their short-body 727s by ‘95
Old May 17, 2020, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
One more kick at

USAir's MetroJet MDW-PIT
Old May 18, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's not Southwest, America West, Continental, American or Northwest but it is a 727 of some variant

There IS one more airline that would have flown a very roundabout routing, but I’ll start with an only-slightly-indirect option — United via Denver/DEN; I’m pretty sure they had parked all their short-body 727s by ‘95

And another one bites the dust! United it is. With Denver being a long time United hub city and Albuquerque only an hour's flight to the south, this routing doesn't seem all that extreme. I once flew United from San Francisco to Chicago routing via Denver and Dallas. Anyway, here's the schedule:

United UA 466 New Orleans (MSY) 900a-1045a B Denver (DEN) 1129a-1245p S Albuquerque (ABQ) 727-200 Daily

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.