Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
seems you would prefer that I said "I am certain of TW since I flew them, and my other guess would be (notionally) AA" ... in which case you would respond either "good job jrl22" or "TW is correct but we are still looking for the other" ...
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
...2. What long standing practice did Boeing cease starting with the introduction of its 787 line?
they eliminated the customer designator suffixes (e.g., -12 for Singapore, -31 for TWA, -36 for BA, -90 for Alaska, etc)

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 19, 2013 at 6:36 am Reason: corrected AS designator
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by miniliq
8. This airline’s 707s had pianos installed in the First Class cabins to entertain its premium customers during their flights. What airline was it?

8. I do remember the piano on Continental's widebody from IAH-LAX, but the only 707 that I heard was outfitted that way in earlier years was Olympic Airways, so that's my guess.

Olympic it was! Aristotle Onassis' airline offered some of the finest First Class service in the skies, especially over the North Atlantic. Onassis sold the airline to the Greek government in 1973.

By the way, are you sure it was Continental and not American's 747 that had the onboard piano? I flew on a lot of Continental DC-10s back in the 70s and 80s (every one in the fleet, in fact) and none of them were equipped with pianos. Later versions of the Polynesian Pub did have electronic Pong games mounted in the tables. The sole Continental 747 I flew upon was also piano-less. But who knows, maybe they had them some of the 747s that I didn't fly on.

29. Name the three airlines that operated Convair turboprops into Cleveland

I think those were Wright Airlines (FW), Air Ontario (GX), and Freedom Airlines Inc. (DN).

Wright on, miniliq! In fact, Wright operated the Convair 600 and 640 while Air Ontario and Freedom operated the 580.

30. You want to fly a 767 between either Calgary or Edmonton and Vancouver. Which airline do you call to book your reservation?

This is closer to my experience base. Although PW had 767 service YYC-YVR, I pick Air Canada for service from both YYC and YEG.

Alas, it was not Air Canada. The only other option is of course your first choice - Pacific Western, which I believe operated a pair of 767-275s which eventually ended up with Air Canada anyway.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl22
28. Name the only two airlines still operating scheduled flights with the 707

seems you would prefer that I said "I am certain of TW since I flew them, and my other guess would be (notionally) AA" ... in which case you would respond either "good job jrl22" or "TW is correct but we are still looking for the other" ...

You're right, of course. And that's on me since I've established a history of letting partial answers slide on questions that require a multi-part answer.

The yearly 3-4 day long Airliners International Airline Collectibles Convention used to include a written quiz as part of their morning get togethers. Those who had the best scores would be entered into a drawing to win something like a free airline ticket or a magazine subscription. The 70 questions that I submitted as the first post on this thread were originally created as possible quiz questions for the Airliners International convention.

Those quizzes did not allow the use of outside resources such as timetables, books or the internet (we were at breakfast tables, anyway ), partially answered questions were not accepted as correct and neither were vaguely correct answers such as "It had to be either United or TWA". I guess I still have that mindset with regard to the questions I submit here. Part of the challenge in the above referenced "quiz" question is in getting both airlines correct and ideally I'd only indicate "correct" if both answers were indeed correct. That may be a bit unrealistic however as some of these answers may be obscure enough that leaving the question "incorrect" until both airlines are correctly given might result in the question going forever more unanswered. Arrrgh! At the very least though, my preference would be that if the answer calls for X number of airlines, then right or wrong at least provide X number of airlines as your answer.

I'm certainly open and amenable to any suggestions that any of you may have in this regard but for the time being, let's carry on as is. So to quote the great Roseanne Roseannadanna, "Never Mind" and to quote jrl22: "Good job jrl22. TWA is correct but we are still looking for the other" ...

2. What long standing practice did Boeing cease starting with the introduction of its 787 line?

they eliminated the customer designator suffixes (e.g., -12 for Singapore, -31 for TWA, -36 for BA, -91 for Alaska, etc)

Exactly! Any idea why they did this? I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I mean, it seems like it made sense to have the customer numbers because then you might know that a 707-321 had Collins Avionics while a -347 had Rockwell. Of course Rockwell purchased Collins in 1973 but it seemed like the customer numbers were a good way of identifying some of the differences in what would otherwise be the same model of aircraft.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 20, 2013 at 1:40 pm
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2. What long standing practice did Boeing cease starting with the introduction of its 787 line?
they eliminated the customer designator suffixes (e.g., -12 for Singapore, -31 for TWA, -36 for BA, -90 for Alaska, etc)
Exactly! Any idea why they did this? I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I mean, it seems like it made sense to have the customer numbers because then you might know that a 707-321 had Collins Avionics while a -347 had Rockwell. Of course Rockwell purchased Collins in 1973 but it seemed like the customer numbers were a good way of identifying some of the differences in what would otherwise be the same model of aircraft.
I have pinged a former colleague from Boeing Flight Test who is retiring from the Commercial division next week ... will post anything that he shares with me
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
8. This airline’s 707s had pianos installed in the First Class cabins to entertain its premium customers during their flights. What airline was it?

8. I do remember the piano on Continental's widebody from IAH-LAX, but the only 707 that I heard was outfitted that way in earlier years was Olympic Airways, so that's my guess.

Olympic it was! Aristotle Onassis' airline offered some of the finest First Class service in the skies, especially over the North Atlantic. Onassis sold the airline to the Greek government in 1973.

By the way, are you sure it was Continental and not American's 747 that had the onboard piano? I flew on a lot of Continental DC-10s back in the 70s and 80s (every one in the fleet, in fact) and none of them were equipped with pianos. Later versions of the Polynesian Pub did have electronic Pong games mounted in the tables. The sole Continental 747 I flew upon was also piano-less. But who knows, maybe they had them some of the 747s that I didn't fly on.
You're right -- the piano was on American, as shown in the ad below. Continental had the pub, shown on the right.

Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

The following question is based upon schedules published in a 1983 OAG

22. You want to fly from San Diego to Orlando with a single connection in New Orleans. Oh yeah – you want one of the flights to be on a DC-8. What airline do you call?
Well, I would have called Northeastern International Airways (QS).

This start-up air carrier attempted to operate a small hub at MSY back in the early 80's. Besides DC-8 equipment (I think they operated DC-8-62 aircraft in addition to earlier DC-8 models), QS also flew A300s, B727-100s and B727-200s.

And here's a bonus quiz item: what other new start-up airline attempted to operate a hub at MSY and what type of equipment did they fly?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have pinged a former colleague from Boeing Flight Test who is retiring from the Commercial division next week ... will post anything that he shares with me
my speculation was that, when Boeing started the use of customer suffixes (with the 707 in 1957 or thereabouts), they really didn't envision the eventual size of the customer base, so they were actually running out of alphanumeric combinations ... David confirmed that this is indeed the reason
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18. This airline offered the only DC-10 service between Los Angeles and Miami.
Western (see post 3227 upthread)

27. Although the BAC-111 was flown by many US airlines before and after 1983, in the summer of 1983 only four U.S. airlines were operating it. Can you identify them?
USAir (I flew on N1542 BWI-BOS on 1 Sep 1983, my last flight on a One-Eleven)
Pacific Express
Cascade
Braniff II (guessing here)
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
22. You want to fly from San Diego to Orlando with a single connection in New Orleans. Oh yeah – you want one of the flights to be on a DC-8. What airline do you call?

Well, I would have called Northeastern International Airways (QS).

Good call, jlemon! I don't know that any other airline has flown nonstop between MSY and SAN since. QS did so with a 727-100 connecting to a DC-8 over to Orlando and on to Hartford.

QS 122 SAN-MSY 905a - 235p 727
QS 202 MSY-MCO 320p - 550p DC-8

This start-up air carrier attempted to operate a small hub at MSY back in the early 80's. Besides DC-8 equipment (I think they operated DC-8-62 aircraft in addition to earlier DC-8 models), QS also flew A300s, B727-100s and B727-200s.

And here's a bonus quiz item: what other new start-up airline attempted to operate a hub at MSY and what type of equipment did they fly?

I'm thinking it might have been Pride Air, operating both models of the 727...
Thanks for the photos, miniliq! I love the Continental lounge and all the different clothing styles. That woman on the far left looks as if she's been upholstered in something as opposed to wearing an actual dress! And is that Ricardo Montalban chatting up the FA behind the bar? Those Continental 747s were a wonderful way to fly to Honolulu. With lounges in F, Y and K classes, they only sat 290. Catering was by Don the Beachcomber and the Polynesian Pub was a popular place to get in the mood on the way to the islands.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 19, 2013 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any idea why Boeing stopped using customer designator suffixes with the introduction of its 787 line? I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I mean, it seems like it made sense to have the customer numbers because then you might know that a 707-321 had Collins Avionics while a -347 had Rockwell. Of course Rockwell purchased Collins in 1973 but it seemed like the customer numbers were a good way of identifying some of the differences in what would otherwise be the same model of aircraft.

my speculation was that, when Boeing started the use of customer suffixes (with the 707 in 1957 or thereabouts), they really didn't envision the eventual size of the customer base, so they were actually running out of alphanumeric combinations ... David confirmed that this is indeed the reason.

Thanks, jrl22! After years of manually logging in thousands of airline postcards as they arrived into my collection, I have most of the first 100 numbers memorized. This comes in really hand for remembering phone numbers, etc. Somehow I do better with remembering that a phone number ends in Lufthansa-Mexicana than I do remembering the actual number (3064).

18. This airline offered the only DC-10 service between Los Angeles and Miami. (in 1988)

This particular question was part of a series based upon schedules published in 1988. By then Western was no more, having been merged into Delta. Please try again.

27. Although the BAC-111 was flown by many US airlines before and after 1983, in the summer of 1983 only four U.S. airlines were operating it. Can you identify them?

USAir (I flew on N1542 BWI-BOS on 1 Sep 1983, my last flight on a One-Eleven) correct
Pacific Express correct
Cascade
Braniff II (guessing here)

US Air and Pacific Express are correct. Cascade did not take delivery of its first 1-11 until September of 1984 and Braniff II did not come into existence until 1988. So - two down, two to go!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18. This airline offered the only DC-10 service between Los Angeles and Miami. (in 1988)

This particular question was part of a series based upon schedules published in 1988. By then Western was no more, having been merged into Delta. Please try again.
well that's what I get for answering the 1983 questions first :-/
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7. Name the only two Scandinavian passenger airlines to operate the Boeing 727
Sterling (Denmark) and Icelandair
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
I don't know that any other airline has flown nonstop between MSY and SAN since.
Southwest just announced MSY-SAN nonstop. I believe this route was flown by them pre-Katrina.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

17. Seven different airlines operated nonstop 747 flights between the United States and Canada. Three of these airlines offered service on the same route. All other airlines and their routes flown were unique. Identify the airlines and the routes flown.
a lot of old (and probably inaccurate) memory bank withdrawals here ...

Aerolineas Argentinas, Royal Air Maroc, and South African: JFK <-> Montreal
Air France: Chicago <-> Montreal
Cathay Pacific: JFK <-> Vancouver
Thai: Seattle <-> Toronto
Wardair: Edmonton <-> Honolulu

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.