Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
18. (1986) It’s not every day you’re presented with an opportunity to fly from Greensboro, NC to Oakland, CA, so you might as well make the most of it. To wit, you’ve booked yourself a two-flight journey involving a single connection with both flights utilizing the same type/variant of aircraft. The first flight will make four enroute stops to the connection point, while the second flight will make two stops. Both flights will pass through their respective airlines’ hubs along the way. Hopefully this isn’t too much for any of you to chew, because we’re looking for complete answers here. You’ll be expected to identify each airline, the complete route flown for each flight and the single aircraft type employed throughout the journey.
DL to WA via MOB, JAN and DFW. Cxn point yet to be identified, as well as aircraft
How about DL GSO-ATL-MOB-JAN-DFW-ELP and then WA ELP-ABQ-SLC-OAK on 737-200s?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
13. (1975) From your home in hot and sunny Laredo, Texas you’ll be flying up to comparatively cool and rainy Portland, Oregon. You’ve found a nice two flight combination with a single connection point utilizing two airlines - each operating the same aircraft type. Each flight makes three stops. Identify each airline, the aircraft type, the connection point and three intermediate stops made by each flight.

I will offer a routing via Santa Barbara/SBA, San Jose/SJC, and Medford/MFR

Well, Medford's in there somewhere. The rest of 'em are not…
13- well, I’m not going to consider San Francisco/SFO as the second stop because I don’t recall that UA had any competition on SFO-MFR

continuing to look at short first legs out of LAX (and trying to recall non-hub routes that predominantly saw PSA and Air California service), let’s try Bakersfield/BFL and Oakland/OAK
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
7. (1986) You’ve just been informed that you need to fly from Miami to Barbados next Wednesday to pick up a catamaran and sail it back to its owners at Jupiter, Florida. What tha - BeeWee and Pan Am are both sold between MIA and BGI on that day. A quick call to your travel agent friend reveals a one stop connection involving two nonstop flights - each aboard the same airline with each operating the same aircraft type. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the connection point and the aircraft type.

How about an ALM MD-80 via CUR

Do-able, but not on the same day. It'd require an overnight layover. We're looking for something that can get you out there in a single day (Wednesday)

19. (1986) You need to travel from Portland, Oregon to Presque Isle, Maine. Thankfully, one airline can take you all the way there via a two-stop direct flight on mainline equipment, connecting to a nonstop via that airline’s regional contract carrier. Please identify the principal airline and for bonus points its regional affiliate, the two enroute stops to the connection point and of course the mainline and regional equipment employed on these flights.

An EA 727-200 via SEA and MCI, connecting to a Bar Harbor Casa 212 to PQI.

You're almost there! Everything is correct! except the Casa 212.

Tap in time...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 29, 2022 at 1:52 am
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by joejones
18. (1986) It’s not every day you’re presented with an opportunity to fly from Greensboro, NC to Oakland, CA, so you might as well make the most of it. To wit, you’ve booked yourself a two-flight journey involving a single connection with both flights utilizing the same type/variant of aircraft. The first flight will make four enroute stops to the connection point, while the second flight will make two stops. Both flights will pass through their respective airlines’ hubs along the way. Hopefully this isn’t too much for any of you to chew, because we’re looking for complete answers here. You’ll be expected to identify each airline, the complete route flown for each flight and the single aircraft type employed throughout the journey.
DL to WA via MOB, JAN and DFW. Cxn point and a/c et to be identified

How about DL GSO-ATL-MOB-JAN-DFW-ELP and then WA ELP-ABQ-SLC-OAK on 737-200s?

Now we're talkin'! Spot on in all regards! Here's the itinerary -

Delta DL 945 Greensboro (GSO) 655a-758a B Atlanta (ATL) 839a-840a Mobile (MOB) 900a-936a Jackson (JAN) 956a-1113a Dallas (DFW) 1204p-1240p L El Paso (ELP) 737-200 Daily
Western WA 411 El Paso (ELP) 155p-243p Albuquerque (ABQ) 315p-446p S Salt Lake City (SLC) 520p-604p S Oakland (OAK) 737-200 Daily

Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
13. (1975) From your home in hot and sunny Laredo, Texas you’ll be flying up to comparatively cool and rainy Portland, Oregon. You’ve found a nice two flight combination with a single connection point utilizing two airlines - each operating the same aircraft type. Each flight makes three stops. Identify each airline, the aircraft type, the connection point and three intermediate stops made by each flight.

Well, I’m not going to consider San Francisco/SFO as the second stop because I don’t recall that UA had any competition on SFO-MFR. Continuing to look at short first legs out of LAX (and trying to recall non-hub routes that predominantly saw PSA and Air California service), let’s try Bakersfield/BFL and Oakland/OAK

The first leg on RW is much, much shorter than LAX to either SBA or BFL. The second stop is neither BFL or OAK. Again, on a positive not you've now eliminated those airports from further consideration...
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
20. (1986) Per schedules reflected in an OAG from the spring of 1986, I’ve identified five airlines that fly the Boeing 747SP into London Heathrow. Can you do so without benefit of opening our “bible”?
SAA, Iran Air & Syrian Air identified

I flew aboard a TWA 747SP in early January 1986, likely N57203. Let's go with TWA and Aerolineas Argentinas

Both airlines seem quite plausible and in fact I even double checked when researching this question re. TWA. Aerolineas was apparently getting the job done with its -200Bs, the SPs showing up on the polar route to Auckland and even a comparatively short flight to MIA. In any event, as of December of '86, neither TW nor AR were running 74Ls into LHR.

Please, guess again!
Great question and interesting answers. (The question was finally answered).

I believe the TWA flight was a one-off flight. It might have been a last minute substitution of a flight with not too many passengers, being in January. Years later, I saw the plane again in Louisville (SDF) but it had been repainted to the Dubai Air Wing and likely carrying a VIP to the Kentucky Derby.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
13- so if we’re looking at the first stop in the LA area we have Burbank/BUR, Ontario/ONT, and Orange County/SNA … I tend to remember most RW service from BUR and ONT went to their PHX and LAS hubs, so I’ll offer SNA and Sacramento/SMF
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

19. (PDX to pqi 1986)
My guess for the Bar Harbor airplane used on BOS PQI is an ATR-42. There are only 2 or 3 other possibilities
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:24 pm

7. Air Jamaica 727 via MBJ.

19. Saab 340.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2- I sure don’t remember TWA tagging anything onto their STL-SEA-PDX flights, and iirc those were mainly MD-80 operations anyway … neither CO nor DL registers with me as coming to EUG, so I’m gonna throw a semi-wild guess of AA out there
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So if we’re looking at the first stop in the LA area we have Burbank/BUR, Ontario/ONT, and Orange County/SNA … I tend to remember most RW service from BUR and ONT went to their PHX and LAS hubs, so I’ll offer SNA and Sacramento/SMF

SNA is correct! Alas, SMF is not. So far we're looking at LAX-SNA-XXX-MFR-PDX...
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
19. (1986) You need to travel from Portland, Oregon to Presque Isle, Maine. Thankfully, one airline can take you all the way there via a two-stop direct flight on mainline equipment, connecting to a nonstop via that airline’s regional contract carrier. Please identify the principal airline and for bonus points its regional affiliate, the two enroute stops to the connection point and of course the mainline and regional equipment employed on these flights.

My guess for the Bar Harbor airplane used on BOS PQI is an ATR-42. There are only 2 or 3 other possibilities

Looks like it'll have to be one of those other possibilities, moondog, as the ATR-42 it is not...
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
7. (1986) You’ve just been informed that you need to fly from Miami to Barbados next Wednesday to pick up a catamaran and sail it back to its owners at Jupiter, Florida. What tha - BeeWee and Pan Am are both sold between MIA and BGI on that day. A quick call to your travel agent friend reveals a one stop connection involving two nonstop flights - each aboard the same airline with each operating the same aircraft type. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the connection point and the aircraft type.

Air Jamaica 727 via MBJ

An excellent guess, but no - somewhat surprisingly - it was not Air Jamaica

Saab 340.

It was not the SAAB 340. But it did have two engines...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 29, 2022 at 10:58 pm
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2. (1986) You need to fly from your home on Vancouver Island to a medical conference hosted by the University of Oregon at Eugene, Oregon. Always up for adventure in air travel, you’ve booked an exciting - well, to you at least - itinerary involving three nonstop flights, each of them operate by a different airline. However, the aircraft type and variant will remain constant aboard all three flights. So then, you know the drill - identify all the particulars related to this question.

727-200s
AC YYJ-YVR
WA YVR-PDX
PDX-EUG?

I sure don’t remember TWA tagging anything onto their STL-SEA-PDX flights, and iirc those were mainly MD-80 operations anyway … neither CO nor DL registers with me as coming to EUG, so I’m gonna throw a semi-wild guess of AA out there

AA is correct! Here's the itinerary -

Air Canada AC 220 Victoria (YYY) 705a-730a Vancouver (YVR) 727-200 X67
Western WA 442 Vancouver (YVR) 900a-953a Portland (PDX) 727-200 Daily
American AA 239 Portland (PDX) 1136a-1211p Eugene (EUG) 727-200 Daily
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

7. (1986) You’ve just been informed that you need to fly from Miami to Barbados next Wednesday to pick up a catamaran and sail it back to its owners at Jupiter, Florida. What tha - BeeWee and Pan Am are both sold out between MIA and BGI on that day. A quick call to your travel agent friend reveals a one stop connection involving two nonstop flights - each aboard the same airline with each operating the same aircraft type. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the connection point and the aircraft type.
It's not AA or EA via SJU. It's not ALM MD80 or Air Jamaica. Nor is it VIASA. No 72S or L10s are involved

8. (1986)
It’s not every day you’d consider flying from Green Bay, Wisconsin to the state capital over in Madison, ya know, but with your truck broken down and a need to be in Madison tonight, you have little choice. You’ve found a surprisingly affordable joint fare involving two nonstop flights, each operated by a different airline but each operating the same aircraft variant on both flights. Please identify all the usual stuff.

TI and RW DC-9-10 identified. LAX is connection point. RW Flight routes LAX-SNA-XXX-MFR-PDX

15. (1986) You’ve just been informed that your nonstop PSA flight from Oakland to Seattle has been cancelled due to mechanical issues. Well dang! That flight is the last nonstop of the day. Thankfully, the friendly PSA agent has found space for you on another flight departing at the same time but making two stops enroute. That’ll do, thanks! Identify the airline, the routing and the equipment flown

17. (1975) If you want to fly out of Hay River, up in Canada’s Northwest Territories, there’s only one airline and aircraft type you can fly upon. Identify each, please. Bonus points for identifying the two airports served from Hay River.

A N S W E R E D

I've got a few more questions, but let's knock these ones above off first

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 29, 2022 at 11:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.