Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
14. (1986) You’ve just received an early morning call from your branch office in England. Your services are required in London A.S.A.P. How soon can you get here? A quick call to your sister the travel agent at her home pays off with a reservation departing Atlanta Hartsfield this morning at 930am. You’ll have an hour and forty minute layover at the connection point before continuing on to London Heathrow. All in all you’re looking at two nonstop flights, both operated by two different four engine jets on two different airlines. Identify the airlines, routing and the two different aircraft types.
A BA Concorde is involved, but not through JFK

BA also operated the Concorde to LHR from Washington Dulles/IAD; as far as a four-engine jet running ATL-IAD, we have to be looking at Presidential Airways (XV) with a BAe 146

That's correct. In any event, I don't think Delta ever operated its DC-8-61/71s into Dulles though it did once operate its standard DC-8 during the early days of the interchange flights with Pan Am. But I digress. Here's the itinerary -

Presidential Airways XV Atlanta (ATL) 930a-1120a B Washington (IAD) BAe-146-200 Daily
British Airways BA 188 Washington (IAD) 100p v -1000p London (LHR) Concorde We Fr Su
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:46 am

After a hiatus from this forum, in part to log XWA and "check off" Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site and Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site, I'm back.

1. I'll guess North Central MKE-DTW, connecting to Air Jamaica DTW-NAS, with DC-9-30s on both flights.

16. I believe that just before deregulation, RW was awarded PHX-DSM-MKE. I'll guess an OZ DC-9-30 to DSM, connecting to a RW DC-9-30 DSM-PHX.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
13. (1975) From your home in hot and sunny Laredo, Texas you’ll be flying up to comparatively cool and rainy Portland, Oregon. You’ve found a nice two flight combination with a single connection point utilizing two airlines - each operating the same aircraft type. Each flight makes three stops. Identify each airline, the aircraft type, the connection point and three intermediate stops made by each flight.

I’m 99.9% certain that the only airline serving LRD was Texas International, and their fleet consisted of the DC-9-10 and -30. Coincidentally, those jets were also the mainstays of Hughes Airwest, which would therefore have been the connecting carrier into PDX. To the best of my recollection, the only point where one might have been able to connect from TI to RW was Salt Lake City/SLC.

With that, let’s try TI LRD-SLC via
  1. Austin/AUS
  2. Dallas/DFW
  3. Denver/DEN
Followed by RW SLC-PDX via
  1. Pocatello/PIH
  2. Twin Falls/TWF
  3. Boise/BOI
I also have to think that multi-stop routes such as these were more the province of the -10

Very well thought out and presented, J . And - you're off to a good start on the airlines and the initial routing. Texas International and Hughes Airwest are indeed the two airlines of record, while Austin and Dallas are the first two stops on the TI flight. Beyond that though, we'll need to consider alternate routings and a connection point that is neither DEN nor SLC. As a result, you'll have to start all over with your Hughes Airwest routing. Thinking about the route networks of TI and RW, I'm confident a wily old OAG reader such as yourself will solve this one sooner than later.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
After a hiatus from this forum, in part to log XWA and "check off" Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site and Knife River Indian Villages National Historic Site, I'm back.1. (1975) Ah… the big day is finally here! You’re off to the Bahamas for a week of sun and fun on the beaches up the coast from Nassau. From your home in Milwaukee, you’ll fly on two nonstop flights, each operated with DC-9-30s, with each operated by a different airline. Thankfully you’ll not be connecting through Chicago O’Hare. In perusing all the different nonstops to Nassau from the U.S. mainland, I’ve been able to find only one routing that meets the above specified parameters. Identify the two airlines and the connection point
I'll guess North Central MKE-DTW, connecting to Air Jamaica DTW-NAS, with DC-9-30s on both flights.

Correct!

North Central NC 990 Milwaukee (MKE) 600a - 745a Detroit (DTW) DC-9-30 X7 Breakfast
Air Jamaica JM 060 Detroit (DTW) 915a-1215p Nassau (NAS) DC-9-30 Daily Lunch

16. (1978) You’re an administrator at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and next week you’ll be flying down to a medical conference being held in Scottsdale, AZ. Your travel agent has found you a convenient itinerary involving two nonstop flights with a single connection. Two airlines are involved, with both airlines operating the same type and variant of aircraft. You’ll even be served a lunch enroute. Identify the two airlines, the routing and the single aircraft type.

I believe that just before deregulation, RW was awarded PHX-DSM-MKE. I'll guess an OZ DC-9-30 to DSM, connecting to a RW DC-9-30 DSM-PHX.

Correct again!

Ozark OZ 527 Rochester (RST) 742a-819a Des Moines (DSM) DC-9-30 Daily
Hughes Airwest RW 260 Des Moines (DSM) 950a-1130a L Phoenix (PHX) DC-9-30 Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 26, 2022 at 2:42 pm
Old Aug 26, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
20. (1986) Per schedules reflected in an OAG from the spring of 1986, I’ve identified five airlines that fly the Boeing 747SP into London Heathrow. Can you do so without benefit of opening our “bible”?
This is a fun one... I'm going to go with South African, Saudia, Iran Air, Pan Am, and Syrian.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejones
20. (1986) Per schedules reflected in an OAG from the spring of 1986, I’ve identified five airlines that fly the Boeing 747SP into London Heathrow. Can you do so without benefit of opening our “bible”?

This is a fun one... I'm going to go with South African, Saudia, Iran Air, Pan Am, and Syrian.

You've hit on three out of five, Joe. South African, Iran Air and Syrian Air are correct! Pan Am and Saudia are incorrect.

Hmm... what are the other two?
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejones

You've hit on three out of five, Joe. South African, Iran Air and Syrian Air are correct! Pan Am and Saudia are incorrect.

Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
13. (1975) From your home in hot and sunny Laredo, Texas you’ll be flying up to comparatively cool and rainy Portland, Oregon. You’ve found a nice two flight combination with a single connection point utilizing two airlines - each operating the same aircraft type. Each flight makes three stops. Identify each airline, the aircraft type, the connection point and three intermediate stops made by each flight.

I’m 99.9% certain that the only airline serving LRD was Texas International, and their fleet consisted of the DC-9-10 and -30. Coincidentally, those jets were also the mainstays of Hughes Airwest, which would therefore have been the connecting carrier into PDX. To the best of my recollection, the only point where one might have been able to connect from TI to RW was Salt Lake City/SLC.

With that, let’s try TI LRD-SLC via
  1. Austin/AUS
  2. Dallas/DFW
  3. Denver/DEN
Followed by RW SLC-PDX via
  1. Pocatello/PIH
  2. Twin Falls/TWF
  3. Boise/BOI
I also have to think that multi-stop routes such as these were more the province of the -10

Very well thought out and presented, J . And - you're off to a good start on the airlines and the initial routing. Texas International and Hughes Airwest are indeed the two airlines of record, while Austin and Dallas are the first two stops on the TI flight. Beyond that though, we'll need to consider alternate routings and a connection point that is neither DEN nor SLC. As a result, you'll have to start all over with your Hughes Airwest routing. Thinking about the route networks of TI and RW, I'm confident a wily old OAG reader such as yourself will solve this one sooner than later.
13- well, the first step toward a correct answer is to acknowledge that I actually presented two-stop flights rather than the requisite three ... that being said, the routing for the TI flight becomes obvious as the third stop was Albuquerque/ABQ and the connection point was Los Angeles/LAX

so as for RW, there are numerous possibilities for LAX-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-PDX; let's start with San Jose/SJC, Sacramento/SMF, and Klamath Falls/LMT

I’ll give you “wily”; not so sure about “old” in a mental/attitudinal context, although in a chronological one I can’t actually argue *too* much

as for “OAG reader” … I spent *way* too many hours during my college years poring over the OAGs, and have used those on departedflights.com to develop some of the questions I’ve posted in the thread …

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 26, 2022 at 7:16 pm
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL

...South African, Iran Air and Syrian Air are correct! Pan Am and Saudia are incorrect.

I flew aboard a TWA 747SP in early January 1986, likely N57203. Let's go with TWA and Aerolineas Argentinas.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

13. (1975) From your home in hot and sunny Laredo, Texas you’ll be flying up to comparatively cool and rainy Portland, Oregon. You’ve found a nice two flight combination with a single connection point utilizing two airlines - each operating the same aircraft type. Each flight makes three stops. Identify each airline, the aircraft type, the connection point and three intermediate stops made by each flight

Well, the routing for the TI flight becomes obvious as the third stop was Albuquerque/ABQ and the connection point was Los Angeles. So as for RW, there are numerous possibilities for LAX-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-PDX; let's start with San Jose/SJC, Sacramento/SMF, and Klamath Falls/LMT

You're spot on re. TI to LAX via ABQ. As for the RW routing, you're right - there are a veritable cornucopia of routing possibilities. Alas, none of the most reasonable and plausible airports which you've submitted work for the flight in question (though they certainly may have worked for a different flight, in another time). On a positive note, you can now cancel those cities off your list of possibilities. And - as an added bonus, I'll throw in a hint: The first flight was not very long...
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
SAA, Iran Air & Syrian Air identified

I flew aboard a TWA 747SP in early January 1986, likely N57203. Let's go with TWA and Aerolineas Argentinas

Both airlines seem quite plausible and in fact I even double checked when researching this question re. TWA. Aerolineas was apparently getting the job done with its -200Bs, the SPs showing up on the polar route to Auckland and even a comparatively short flight to MIA. In any event, as of December of '86, neither TW nor AR were running 74Ls into LHR.

Please, guess again!
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:34 am

SAA, Iran Air & Syrian Air identified
Air Mauritius? Not sure I ever recall seeing one at LHR, but....
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:58 am

I'll get two more of these terrific questions started:

7: EA MIA-SJU-BGI, with L-1011 equipment

19: DL, connecting to Business Express at BOS. I'll go with PDX-SEA-CVG-BOS on a 757-232, connecting to a Beech 1900 BOS-PQI.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JoeDTW

19: DL, connecting to Business Express at BOS. I'll go with PDX-SEA-CVG-BOS on a 757-232, connecting to a Beech 1900 BOS-PQI.
I like the DL response, but I'd go with SLC instead of SEA, and I don't think the CVG stop happened on all SLC BOS flights in 1986.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
13 (1976): … as for RW, there are numerous possibilities for LAX-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-PDX; let's start with San Jose/SJC, Sacramento/SMF, and Klamath Falls/LMT

You're spot on re. TI to LAX via ABQ. As for the RW routing, you're right - there are a veritable cornucopia of routing possibilities. Alas, none of the most reasonable and plausible airports which you've submitted work for the flight in question (though they certainly may have worked for a different flight, in another time). On a positive note, you can now cancel those cities off your list of possibilities. And - as an added bonus, I'll throw in a hint: The first flight was not very long...
13-well, with that clue I will offer a routing via Santa Barbara/SBA, San Jose/SJC, and Medford/MFR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.