Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
18. (1986) It’s not every day you’re presented with an opportunity to fly from Greensboro, NC to Oakland, CA, so you might as well make the most of it. To wit, you’ve booked yourself a two-flight journey involving a single connection with both flights utilizing the same type/variant of aircraft. The first flight will make four enroute stops to the connection point, while the second flight will make two stops. Both flights will pass through their respective airlines’ hubs along the way. Hopefully this isn’t too much for any of you to chew, because we’re looking for complete answers here. You’ll be expected to identify each airline, the complete route flown for each flight and the single aircraft type employed throughout the journey.
18- I think this was a 727-200 itinerary, beginning with a Delta milk run across the southeast; the first stop was of course their main Atlanta/ATL hub … as with another question, there are a very large handful of possible downline routings en route to the connection point at their smaller Dallas/DFW hub; I’ll posit Jackson/JAN, Monroe/MLU, and Shreveport/SHV as the other three stops

from DFW we’ll try Western, operating via the Salt Lake City/SLC hub with a short tag from Sacramento/SMF
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Spongthrush
20. (1986) Per schedules reflected in an OAG from the spring of 1986, I’ve identified five airlines that fly the Boeing 747SP into London Heathrow. Can you do so without benefit of opening our “bible”?
SAA, Iran Air & Syrian Air identified

Air Mauritius? Not sure I ever recall seeing one at LHR, but....

Correct! Four down, one to go!
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I'll get two more of these terrific questions started:7. (1986) You’ve just been informed that you need to fly from Miami to Barbados next Wednesday to pick up a catamaran and sail it back to its owners at Jupiter, Florida. What tha - BeeWee and Pan Am are both sold between MIA and BGI on that day. A quick call to your travel agent friend reveals a one stop connection involving two nonstop flights - each aboard the same airline with each operating the same aircraft type. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the connection point and the aircraft type.

EA MIA-SJU-BGI, with L-1011 equipment

This certainly sounds reasonable but no, it wasn't Eastern with its L-1011. Which gets me thinking - I know EA flew a lot of L-1011s into SJU, but did EA ever run its L-1011s between SJU and BGI, much less anywhere east/southeast of San Juan? In any event, we're looking for a different airline operating equipment not built in the Southern California desert. Please, guess again!

19. (1986) You need to travel from Portland, Oregon to Presque Isle, Maine. Thankfully, one airline can take you all the way there via a two-stop direct flight on mainline equipment, connecting to a nonstop via that airline’s regional contract carrier. Please identify the principal airline and for bonus points its regional affiliate, the two enroute stops to the connection point and of course the mainline and regional equipment employed on these flights.

DL, connecting to Business Express at BOS. I'll go with PDX-SEA-CVG-BOS on a 757-232, connecting to a Beech 1900 BOS-PQI

Well, you've got the first leg (PDX-SEA) down, as well as Boston being the connection point. Beyond that though, we're looking for a different airline operating equipment other than the 757 and Beech 1900.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
19. (1986) You need to travel from Portland, Oregon to Presque Isle, Maine. Thankfully, one airline can take you all the way there via a two-stop direct flight on mainline equipment, connecting to a nonstop via that airline’s regional contract carrier. Please identify the principal airline and for bonus points its regional affiliate, the two enroute stops to the connection point and of course the mainline and regional equipment employed on these flights.

I like the DL response, but I'd go with SLC instead of SEA, and I don't think the CVG stop happened on all SLC BOS flights in 1986.

Please see the above response. We do know it's an airline other than Delta operating PDX-SEA-XXX-BOS operating an aircraft other than a 757-200, connecting to a smaller aircraft other than a Beech 1900.

Please, carry on!
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
13-well, with that clue I will offer a routing via Santa Barbara/SBA, San Jose/SJC, and Medford/MFR
I'm sorry, J, but I've run out of time this morning. Your responses will top my list upon my return after 1000p ADT tonight. Thanks for your patience
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moondog
I like the DL response, but I'd go with SLC instead of SEA, and I don't think the CVG stop happened on all SLC BOS flights in 1986.
19. PDX-PQIIf it's not Delta, United (with a stop in ORD) almost makes sense, but I don't recall UA having a branded partner in Boston.

​​​​​​
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:58 pm

7. How about an AA 727-200, also routed MIA-SJU-BGI?

19: I'll guess an NW DC-10, PDX-SEA-MSP-BOS, connecting to a NW Airlink / Precision Dornier 228
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Look like my last answer to 2 got buried.

727-200s
AC YYJ-YVR
PSA PDX-EUG?

20. (74Ls to LHR in 1986)

CAAC?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

19: I'll guess an NW DC-10, PDX-SEA-MSP-BOS, connecting to a NW Airlink / Precision Dornier 228
This is MUCH better than my United guess, though the idea of DC10 on PDX-SEA is remarkable.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

13. (1975) From your home in hot and sunny Laredo, Texas you’ll be flying up to comparatively cool and rainy Portland, Oregon. You’ve found a nice two flight combination with a single connection point utilizing two airlines - each operating the same aircraft type. Each flight makes three stops. Identify each airline, the aircraft type, the connection point and three intermediate stops made by each flight.

I will offer a routing via Santa Barbara/SBA, San Jose/SJC, and Medford/MFR

Well, Medford's in there somewhere. The rest of 'em are not.,,
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

18. (1986)
It’s not every day you’re presented with an opportunity to fly from Greensboro, NC to Oakland, CA, so you might as well make the most of it. To wit, you’ve booked yourself a two-flight journey involving a single connection with both flights utilizing the same type/variant of aircraft. The first flight will make four enroute stops to the connection point, while the second flight will make two stops. Both flights will pass through their respective airlines’ hubs along the way. Hopefully this isn’t too much for any of you to chew, because we’re looking for complete answers here. You’ll be expected to identify each airline, the complete route flown for each flight and the single aircraft type employed throughout the journey.

I think this was a 727-200 itinerary, beginning with a Delta milk run across the southeast; the first stop was of course their main Atlanta/ATL hub … as with another question, there are a very large handful of possible downline routings en route to the connection point at their smaller Dallas/DFW hub; I’ll posit Jackson/JAN, Monroe/MLU, and Shreveport/SHV as the other three stops

from DFW we’ll try Western, operating via the Salt Lake City/SLC hub with a short tag from Sacramento/SMF

You've clearly wasted too much time reading the OAG in college - except with regard to this forum - in which case your time was well spent. Delta and Western are indeed the airlines of record here, but the 727-200 is not the aircraft we're looking for. Atlanta, Mobile and Jackson are correctly identified - albeit in the wrong order - followed by Dallas - but DFW is not the connection point, which means the Delta flight continues on... As for Western, obviously it goes through SLC but SMF is not part of this itinerary.

So then, carry on...
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

[QUOTE=moondog;34550103][b][color=black]19. (1986) You need to travel from Portland, Oregon to Presque Isle, Maine. Thankfully, one airline can take you all the way there via a two-stop direct flight on mainline equipment, connecting to a nonstop via that airline’s regional contract carrier. Please identify the principal airline and for bonus points its regional affiliate, the two enroute stops to the connection point and of course the mainline and regional equipment employed on these flights.

PDX-PQI - If it's not Delta, United (with a stop in ORD) almost makes sense, but I don't recall UA having a branded partner in Boston.

Well, you're right - United never had a partner in Boston (So far as I know in the 1980s), so we're looking for another airline and thus another routing between SEA and BOS.

Please, deposit another quarter and guess again!

I'll guess an NW DC-10, PDX-SEA-MSP-BOS, connecting to a NW Airlink / Precision Dornier 228
This is MUCH better than my United guess, though the idea of DC10 on PDX-SEA is remarkable.

You're right - it ain't Norhtwest. The aircraft of record between PDX - SEA - XXX - BOS is a 727-200.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 28, 2022 at 2:34 am
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

7. (1986) You’ve just been informed that you need to fly from Miami to Barbados next Wednesday to pick up a catamaran and sail it back to its owners at Jupiter, Florida. What tha - BeeWee and Pan Am are both sold between MIA and BGI on that day. A quick call to your travel agent friend reveals a one stop connection involving two nonstop flights - each aboard the same airline with each operating the same aircraft type. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the connection point and the aircraft type

How about an AA 727-200, also routed MIA-SJU-BGI

You would think, wouldn't you? And yet - NO! It wasn't American and the connection point wasn't SJU.

Please, guess again!

Northwest was not the airline of record and the aircraft did not include a DC-10-40 nor whatever prop you mentioned...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 28, 2022 at 2:37 am
Old Aug 28, 2022, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
2. (1986) You need to fly from your home on Vancouver Island to a medical conference hosted by the University of Oregon at Eugene, Oregon. Always up for adventure in air travel, you’ve booked an exciting - well, to you at least - itinerary involving three nonstop flights, each of them operate by a different airline. However, the aircraft type and variant will remain constant aboard all three flights. So then, you know the drill - identify all the particulars related to this question.

727-200s
AC YYJ-YVR
WA YVR-PDX
PSA PDX-EUG?

Well, you're right about the 727-200 as the aircraft of record, as well as AC YYJ-YVR and WA YVR-PDX. However, we're looking for an airline other than PSA for the PDX-EUG leg. Please, finish this one off!

20. (1986) Per schedules reflected in an OAG from the spring of 1986, I’ve identified five airlines that fly the Boeing 747SP into London Heathrow. Can you do so without benefit of opening our “bible”?

(74Ls to LHR in 1986) CAAC?

You Da Man. YVR! CAAN inbound from Geneva it was!
Old Aug 28, 2022, 3:43 am

7. How about an ALM MD-80 via CUR

19. An EA 727-200 via SEA and MCI, connecting to a Bar Harbor Casa 212 to PQI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.