Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
3. (1986) Based upon schedules posted in the North American version of the OAG, you are poised at the head of the runway at Las Vegas McCarran International Airport, about to take off aboard the longest distance flight heading in an easterly direction (E, ENE or ESE) from LAS. Identify your destination and the airline and aircraft type flying you there.
Originally Posted by moondog
[/color]

For the 1986 Las Vegas eastbound flight question (3), my next guess is PIT on US, using their best 737 subfleet at the time. My uncle is from the Pittsburgh area and he developed a strong interest in Las Vegas during the 1980s. He would never have contemplating connecting flights.

In researching these questions, I often check out Las Vegas to see what's new. Rather amazingly, during this period in 1986 there was a dearth of nonstop flights to the east coast. I think I recall TWA once operating Convair 880 service between PIT and LAS but in mid-1986 - nothing. The route we're looking for is just 2 miles longer than ATL-LAS per the great circle mapper
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
(1978) Oh No! A big pile-up on I-80 by the Ashby Ave. exit has caused you to miss your United flight out of Oakland to Denver. Worse, it’s United’s only nonstop of the day. It looks like you’re gonna have to drive across the bay to catch one of the many but less convenient flights out of SFO. Not so fast, says your travel agent. There’s another airline offering a nonstop out of OAK to Denver leaving just an hour and a half later. Since you’re booked in Y, you can just have your ticket transferred to the new airline at no extra cost. Right on! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft operating this later flight.

Good thing the terminal at OAK is not that big. In 1978, Terminal 2 had not yet been built. T2 was initially used by PSA and AirCal and now used by Southwest. I head to the Braniff ticket counter to ask...

Braniff International, DC-8-50

That's the ticket, Toshbaf! Shortly after deregulation, Braniff spread its wings to a wide variety of routes, many of which were not to/from its primary hub in Dallas. One of those routes was OAK-DEN where BN operated a single daily flight -

Braniff BN 383 Oakland (OAK) 155p-455p Denver (DEN) DC-8-50 Daily
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
3. (1986) Based upon schedules posted in the North American version of the OAG, you are poised at the head of the runway at Las Vegas McCarran International Airport, about to take off aboard the longest distance flight heading in an easterly direction (E, ENE or ESE) from LAS. Identify your destination and the airline and aircraft type flying you there

I'm thinking US didn't actually start LAS service until after the PSA merger a year or so later. How about Northwest, with a 727-200 to Detroit/DTW (1749 miles, just a tad farther than ATL)

Detroit is correct!. However, the airline wasn't Northwest and the aircraft was not a 727-200. Total success is imminent...
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
6. (1975) Hereís a softball for the newbies - youíll be flying from Miami to Los Angeles via three nonstop flights, with each flight operating a different widebody aircraft. Better yet, youíll be on the same airline all the way through. Based upon what you know of airlines, routes and aircraft deployments back in 1975, please identify the airline, the routing and the three aircraft types - properly matched up with each route.

Grrrr! Sounds like it was MIA [D10] ATL [747] DFW [L10]

14. (1986) Youíve just received an early morning call from your branch office in England. Your services are required in London A.S.A.P. How soon can you get here? A quick call to your sister the travel agent at her home pays off with a reservation departing Atlanta Hartsfield this morning at 930am. Youíll have an hour and forty minute layover at the connection point before continuing on to London Heathrow. All in all youíre looking at two nonstop flights, both operated by two different four engine jets on two different airlines. Identify the airlines, routing and the two different aircraft types.
Flight #2 has to be the afternoon BA Concorde out of JFK, so flight #1, I'm guessing, is a Delta DC-8? Hard to think of who else would be operating a four-engine bird on ATL-JFK at that point in history.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
3. (1986) Based upon schedules posted in the North American version of the OAG, you are poised at the head of the runway at Las Vegas McCarran International Airport, about to take off aboard the longest distance flight heading in an easterly direction (E, ENE or ESE) from LAS. Identify your destination and the airline and aircraft type flying you there

I'm thinking US didn't actually start LAS service until after the PSA merger a year or so later. How about Northwest, with a 727-200 to Detroit/DTW (1749 miles, just a tad farther than ATL)

Detroit is correct!. However, the airline wasn't Northwest and the aircraft was not a 727-200. Total success is imminent.
3- Republic ... we already know it wasn't a 757, so the only other RC jet with the legs would have been a MadDog (MD-80)

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 25, 2022 at 3:08 pm
Old Aug 25, 2022, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejones
6. (1975) Here’s a softball for the newbies - you’ll be flying from Miami to Los Angeles via three nonstop flights, with each flight operating a different widebody aircraft. Better yet, you’ll be on the same airline all the way through. Based upon what you know of airlines, routes and aircraft deployments back in 1975, please identify the airline, the routing and the three aircraft types - properly matched up with each route.

Grrrr! Sounds like it was MIA [D10] ATL [747] DFW [L10]

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!!

Delta DL 1032 Miami (MIA) 745a-924a Atlanta (ATL) DC-10 Daily Breakfast
Delta DL 15 Atlanta (ATL) 1021a-1120a Dallas (DFW) 747-100 Daily Lunch
Delta DL 1115 Dallas (DFW) 200p-253p Los Angeles (LAX) L-1011 Daily Lunch

33. (1986) You’ve just received an early morning call from your branch office in England. Your services are required in London A.S.A.P. How soon can you get here? A quick call to your sister the travel agent at her home pays off with a reservation departing Atlanta Hartsfield this morning at 930am. You’ll have an hour and forty minute layover at the connection point before continuing on to London. All in all you’re looking at two nonstop flights, both operated by two different four engine jets on two different airlines. Identify the airlines, routing and the two different aircraft types.

Flight #2 has to be the afternoon BA Concorde out of JFK, so flight #1, I'm guessing, is a Delta DC-8? Hard to think of who else would be operating a four-engine bird on ATL-JFK at that point in history.

You're right about the Concorde, Joe. However, this 4-engine combination wasn't possible through JFK. Additionally, neither Delta nor the DC-8 were involved
Old Aug 25, 2022, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

Republic ... we already know it wasn't a 757, so the only other RC jet with the legs would have been a MadDog (MD-80)

That's the ticket, J! I continue to be amazed that in mid-1986 from Boston to Miami, there wasn't a single nonstop flight to any airport on the eastern seaboard. Here's the itinerary -

Republic RC 750 Las Vegas (LAS) 900a-320p B Detroit (DTW) MD-80 Daily

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 25, 2022 at 3:46 pm
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
(1978) Oh No! A big pile-up on I-80 by the Ashby Ave. exit has caused you to miss your United flight out of Oakland to Denver. Worse, itís Unitedís only nonstop of the day. It looks like youíre gonna have to drive across the bay to catch one of the many but less convenient flights out of SFO. Not so fast, says your travel agent. Thereís another airline offering a nonstop out of OAK to Denver leaving just an hour and a half later. Since youíre booked in Y, you can just have your ticket transferred to the new airline at no extra cost. Right on! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft operating this later flight.

Good thing the terminal at OAK is not that big. In 1978, Terminal 2 had not yet been built. T2 was initially used by PSA and AirCal and now used by Southwest. I head to the Braniff ticket counter to ask...

Braniff International, DC-8-50

That's the ticket, Toshbaf! Shortly after deregulation, Braniff spread its wings to a wide variety of routes, many of which were not to/from its primary hub in Dallas. One of those routes was OAK-DEN where BN operated a single daily flight -

Braniff BN 383 Oakland (OAK) 155p-455p Denver (DEN) DC-8-50 Daily
What was the Braniff schedule during that time period (1978) for MCI-DEN and DEN-MCI? Was it a 727-200? I have a relative that flew that route around 1978. It was probably part of that the willy nilly BN expansion.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

What was the Braniff schedule during that time period (1978) for MCI-DEN and DEN-MCI? Was it a 727-200? I have a relative that flew that route around 1978. It was probably part of that the willy nilly BN expansion.
Per my schedule, BN was not yet flying between Kansas City and Denver
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

1. (1975) Ah… the big day is finally here! You’re off to the Bahamas for a week of sun and fun on the beaches up the coast from Nassau. From your home in Milwaukee, you’ll fly on two nonstop flights, each operated with DC-9-30s, with each operated by a different airline. Thankfully you’ll not be connecting through Chicago O’Hare. In perusing all the different nonstops to Nassau from the U.S. mainland, I’ve been able to find only one routing that meets the above specified parameters. Identify the two airlines and the connection point
A N S W E R E D

2. (1986) You need to fly from your home on Vancouver Island to a medical conference hosted by the University of Oregon at Eugene, Oregon. Always up for adventure in air travel, you’ve booked an exciting - well, to you at least - itinerary involving three nonstop flights, each of them operated by a different airline. However, the aircraft type and variant will remain constant aboard all three flights. So then, you know the drill - identify all the particulars related to this question.
We're looking for a jet aircraft here... It's 727-200. WA is the carrier YVR-PDX, AC YXJ-YVR

7. (1986) You’ve just been informed that you need to fly from Miami to Barbados next Wednesday to pick up a catamaran and sail it back to its owners at Jupiter, Florida. What tha - BeeWee and Pan Am are both sold out between MIA and BGI on that day. A quick call to your travel agent friend reveals a one stop connection involving two nonstop flights - each aboard the same airline with each operating the same aircraft type. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the connection point and the aircraft type.
It's not AA or EA via SJU. No 72S or L10s are involved

8. (1986)
It’s not every day you’d consider flying from Green Bay, Wisconsin to the state capital over in Madison, ya know, but with your truck broken down and a need to be in Madison tonight, you have little choice. You’ve found a surprisingly affordable joint fare involving two nonstop flights, each operated by a different airline but each operating the same aircraft variant on both flights. Please identify all the usual stuff.

13. (1975) From your home in hot and sunny Laredo, Texas you’ll be flying up to comparatively cool and rainy Portland, Oregon. You’ve found a nice two flight combination with a single connection point utilizing two airlines - each operating the same aircraft type. Each flight makes three stops. Identify each airline, the aircraft type, the connection point and three intermediate stops made by each flight.
TI and RW DC-9-10 identified. LAX is connection point. Flight routes through MFR

14. (1986) You’ve just received an early morning call from your branch office in England. Your services are required in London A.S.A.P. How soon can you get here? A quick call to your sister the travel agent at her home pays off with a reservation departing Atlanta Hartsfield this morning at 930am. You’ll have an hour and forty minute layover at the connection point before continuing on to London Heathrow. All in all you’re looking at two nonstop flights, both operated by two different four engine jets on two different airlines. Identify the airlines, routing and the two different aircraft types.
A N S W E R E D

15. (1986) You’ve just been informed that your nonstop PSA flight from Oakland to Seattle has been cancelled due to mechanical issues. Well dang! That flight is the last nonstop of the day. Thankfully, the friendly PSA agent has found space for you on another flight departing at the same time but making two stops enroute. That’ll do, thanks! Identify the airline, the routing and the equipment flown

16. (1978) You’re an administrator at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and next week you’ll be flying down to a medical conference being held in Scottsdale, AZ. Your travel agent has found you a convenient itinerary involving two nonstop flights with a single connection. Two airlines are involved, with both airlines operating the same type and variant of aircraft. You’ll even be served a lunch enroute. Identify the two airlines, the routing and the single aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

17. (1975) If you want to fly out of Hay River, up in Canada’s Northwest Territories, there’s only one airline and aircraft type you can fly upon. Identify each, please. Bonus points for identifying the two airports served from Hay River.

18. (1986) It’s not every day you’re presented with an opportunity to fly from Greensboro, NC to Oakland, CA, so you might as well make the most of it. To wit, you’ve booked yourself a two-flight journey involving a single connection with both flights utilizing the same type/variant of aircraft. The first flight will make four enroute stops to the connection point, while the second flight will make two stops. Both flights will pass through their respective airlines’ hubs along the way. Hopefully this isn’t too much for any of you to chew, because we’re looking for complete answers here. You’ll be expected to identify each airline, the complete route flown for each flight and the single aircraft type employed throughout the journey.
DL to WA via MOB, JAN and DFW. Cxn point yet to be identified, as well as aircraft

19. (1986)
You need to travel from Portland, Oregon to Presque Isle, Maine. Thankfully, one airline can take you all the way there via a two-stop direct flight on mainline equipment, connecting to a nonstop via that airline’s regional contract carrier. Please identify the principal airline and for bonus points its regional affiliate, the two enroute stops to the connection point and of course the mainline and regional equipment employed on these flights.
It's not UA or NW. 72S PDX-SEA-XXX-BOS though...

20. (1986)
Per schedules reflected in an OAG from the spring of 1986, I’ve identified five airlines that fly the Boeing 747SP into London Heathrow. Can you do so without benefit of opening our “bible”?
An s w e r e d

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 28, 2022 at 3:02 am
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Per my schedule, BN was not yet flying between Kansas City and Denver
Thank you.

How about MCI-SAT-MCI?

Do you have a 1968 schedule of which airlines and flights flew ORD-MEX-ORD? I am piecing together a family biography. Unlike most bios, it has details like "Grandpa likely flew on ___ (airline) flight ___ with a scheduled departure and arrival of ____ and operated by a DC-10-40". Ha ha.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you. How about MCI-SAT-MCI?

Nothing there, either. I suspect BN's expansion of MCI as a hub came with BN2 in the eighties

Do you have a 1968 schedule of which airlines and flights flew ORD-MEX-ORD? I am piecing together a family biography. Unlike most bios, it has details like "Grandpa likely flew on ___ (airline) flight ___ with a scheduled departure and arrival of ____ and operated by a DC-10-40".

I don't have it handy - it's 120 miles away. Off the top of my head, I would imagine American was running one or two 707s nonstop, while Mexicana would've countered with a single daily Comet IV.

Might I suggest you visit timetableimages.com as they have an extensive collection of early timetables for airlines all over the world

Also, check out departedflights.com
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:45 pm
Suspended

RE: the previous post
Thank you for the 2 links!
BN did fly MCI-DEN and MCI-SAT nonstop in 1979. Just one flight a day.
If you ever remember, let me know about ORD-MEX 1968 and if any other airlines flew it besides AA and MX.

3/30/1969 timetable from departedflights.com
ORD-MEX AA57 707 1005-1410 (1405 on Sunday)
ORD-MEX AA53 707 1400-1758 except Sunday

MEX-ORD AA104 707 0930-1300 except Monday
MEX-ORD AA52 707 1735-2106 (2102 on Sunday)

Last edited by Toshbaf; Aug 25, 2022 at 8:51 pm
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
14. (1986) You’ve just received an early morning call from your branch office in England. Your services are required in London A.S.A.P. How soon can you get here? A quick call to your sister the travel agent at her home pays off with a reservation departing Atlanta Hartsfield this morning at 930am. You’ll have an hour and forty minute layover at the connection point before continuing on to London Heathrow. All in all you’re looking at two nonstop flights, both operated by two different four engine jets on two different airlines. Identify the airlines, routing and the two different aircraft types.
A BA Concorde is involved, but not through JFK
14- BA also operated the Concorde to LHR from Washington Dulles/IAD; as far as a four-engine jet running ATL-IAD, we have to be looking at Presidential Airways (XV) with a BAe 146
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13. (1975) From your home in hot and sunny Laredo, Texas you’ll be flying up to comparatively cool and rainy Portland, Oregon. You’ve found a nice two flight combination with a single connection point utilizing two airlines - each operating the same aircraft type. Each flight makes three stops. Identify each airline, the aircraft type, the connection point and three intermediate stops made by each flight.
13- I’m 99.9% certain that the only airline serving LRD was Texas International, and their fleet consisted of the DC-9-10 and -30

coincidentally, those jets were also the mainstays of Hughes Airwest, which would therefore have been the connecting carrier into PDX

to the best of my recollection, the only point where one might have been able to connect from TI to RW was Salt Lake City/SLC

with that, let’s try TI LRD-SLC via
  1. Austin/AUS
  2. Dallas/DFW
  3. Denver/DEN
followed by RW SLC-PDX via
  1. Pocatello/PIH
  2. Twin Falls/TWF
  3. Boise/BOI
I also have to think that multi-stop routes such as these were more the province of the -10

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.