Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Air Ceylon 1964...

Originally Posted by jlemon
4. In 1964, this Asian airline stated it was operating "Rolls-Royce Service". Name the air carrier in question and explain just what "Rolls-Royce Service" was. More new quiz items to follow......
Can't resist answering this one though in all honesty I can't 100% remember that exact "Rolls-Royce Service" slogan.

In 1964 Air Ceylon leased BOAC Comet 4C G-APDC (powered by Rolls-Royce Avon engines) to operate it's CMB-LHR service. The aircraft stayed with the British registration but the BOAC on the fuselage was overpainted "Air Ceylon". This only lasted a year or two as G-APDC was sold to Malaysia-Singapore Airlines where it eventually became 9V-BAT.

After returning the Comet to BOAC Air Ceylon then leased a BOAC Vickers VC10 to operate their CMB-LHR service.

Attached are photos of the G-APDC Comet in BOAC livery and with the Air Ceylon overpainting. (I subsequently travelled in this aircraft as 9V-BAT KUL-BKK 1966-08-02; more up-thread re this). The location for G-APDC with Air Ceylon paint is claimed as CMB but the Malaysian Airstairs and the Qantas Land Rover makes this somewhat dubious.
Attached Images   
jlemon likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA
Good morning from the deepest Russian forest - with perfect Internet. Seat 2A, afraid it's a whole new world !

BA back home tomorrow.
9. In late 1968, this U.S. based air carrier made the following statement in it's system timetable:

ALL BOEING 737 JET SERVICE BEGINNING JANUARY 1, 1969

Identify the airline that made this statement.
Air California
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
Most gratified to hear that you escaped the worst of Harvey's ravages....Thanks!

2- I'll guess this was Braniff International, operating a Lockheed Electra II turboprop with stops at Dallas Love (DAL) and Washington National (DCA)

3- my first thought for GSW-LAX in 1961 was a Delta 880, but the four-hour block time definitely suggests otherwise ... how about American with a DC-6
2. Correct! Here's the sched.....

BN 2: San Antonio (SAT) 7:45a - 8:40a Dallas Love (DAL) 9:15a - 2:30p Washington National (DCA) 2:50p - 3:45p New York Idlewild (IDL)
Op: Saturdays only (BN 2 operated SAT-DAL-IDL daily except Sat.)
Service: Silver Service - Breakfast SAT-DAL, Lunch DAL-DCA
Name of flight: "New Yorker" ELECTRA

3. American is correct....but not with a DC-6. And a note concerning the departure and arrival times with regard to the time zones: GSW was CST and LAX was PDT at this time. So please guess again!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by TemboOne
Can't resist answering this one though in all honesty I can't 100% remember that exact "Rolls-Royce Service" slogan.

In 1964 Air Ceylon leased BOAC Comet 4C G-APDC (powered by Rolls-Royce Avon engines) to operate it's CMB-LHR service. The aircraft stayed with the British registration but the BOAC on the fuselage was overpainted "Air Ceylon". This only lasted a year or two as G-APDC was sold to Malaysia-Singapore Airlines where it eventually became 9V-BAT.

After returning the Comet to BOAC Air Ceylon then leased a BOAC Vickers VC10 to operate their CMB-LHR service.

Attached are photos of the G-APDC Comet in BOAC livery and with the Air Ceylon overpainting. (I subsequently travelled in this aircraft as 9V-BAT KUL-BKK 1966-08-02; more up-thread re this). The location for G-APDC with Air Ceylon paint is claimed as CMB but the Malaysian Airstairs and the Qantas Land Rover makes this somewhat dubious.
4. An excellent response, sir! However, the airline in question was not Air Ceylon and the equipment wasn't a Comet. In fact, we are actually looking for two different aircraft types here. Please guess again!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Good morning from the deepest Russian forest - with perfect Internet. Seat 2A, afraid it's a whole new world !

BA back home tomorrow.

Air California
9. Correct! Air California had been operating Douglas DC-9-10 and Lockheed L-188 Electra aircraft. The 737s replaced the DC9s and the Electras were retired. Then Air California subsequently brought the Electra back into the fleet in order to serve Lake Tahoe (TVL).
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:00 am

4. An excellent response, sir! However, the airline in question was not Air Ceylon and the equipment wasn't a Comet. In fact, we are actually looking for two different aircraft types here. Please guess again!
I'll have a guess at Thai Airways. By 1964 they had just taken delivery of the first RR Dart-powered HS748s in Asia, and also started long-leasing RR Avon-powered Caravelles from part-owner SAS for use on Asian routes.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here are some additional new quiz items.......

16. In 1981, this airline was operating nonstop service between San Jose de Cabo (SJD) and El Paso (ELP) twice a week. Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

17. Also in 1981, this air carrier was flying nonstop service between Merida (MID) and Chicago (ORD) once a week. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

18. It's 1982 and you are in Hamburg (HAM). You need to travel to New York City. Ah, here's a flight......and this wide body service operates twice a week with one intermediate stop being made en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment. ANSWERED

19. In 1984, this air carrier ran an ad with the following statement:

"Plus, we're instituting a new, higher level of in-flight service on the ___(aircraft type)___ and ___(aircraft type)___ called Summit Class"

Fill in the blanks and name the airline. And here's a hint: this air carrier was operating four different aircraft types at this time.

20. In 1985, this airline ran an ad with the following headline:

"I am the oilman's airline to Saudi Arabia."

Identify the air carrier. ANSWERED

21. It's 1986 and you are in New Orleans. There's a meeting you must attend in Philadelphia the next day following your lunch meeting in the French Quarter at Galatoire's fine dining restaurant. So you book a seat in first class on a flight that departs MSY at 3:00 pm and arrives at PHL at 8:45 pm. One stop will be made en route and snack service will be offered on board. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment.

22. Now it's 1987 and you are in New York City. A friend of yours has just opened a pub in the village of Little Hallingbury in the U.K. and you would like to check it out. You've found the closest airport to Little Hallingbury that has transatlantic air service from New York City. The flight you will be traveling on operates four days a week from Newark (EWR) and makes one stop en route. So you book a seat in business class at the attractive fare of $1,063 one way. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with, the stop, the airport you will arrive at in the U.K. and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

23. In 1992, Southwest Airlines ran an ad with the following statement:

"Liar, liar. Pants on fire."

Explain what this Southwest ad was about.

24. In 1997, Midway Airlines was serving only one international destination. Name this destination and also identify the U.S. city where this international nonstop flight originated. ANSWERED

25. It's 1998 and you are in Flint, Michigan. A couple of friends have invited you to set sail with them across the Gulf of Mexico to Little Cayman Island in the Caribbean. Their catamaran is moored in Destin, Florida. Lo and behold, you've found a direct flight from Flint to the closest commercially served airport near Destin. This flight makes one intermediate stop en route. Identify the airline, the stop, the airport you will arrive into in Florida and the equipment. ANSWERED

More new quiz items to follow......

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 9, 2017 at 6:51 am Reason: clarification concerning class of service on #22 & answer updates
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll have a guess at Thai Airways. By 1964 they had just taken delivery of the first RR Dart-powered HS748s in Asia, and also started long-leasing RR Avon-powered Caravelles from part-owner SAS for use on Asian routes.
4. Yet another excellent guess! However, the airline in question was not Thai Airways and the aircraft types we are looking for weren't the Caravelle or HS748. Please guess again, sir!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
3- well, if not a Six, how about a Seven? regarding AA and GSW, I recall we have discussed that being the westernmost point for their Electra operations, and I also believe they didn't run jets there at all
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:21 am

20. In 1985, this airline ran an ad with the following headline:

"I am the oilman's airline to Saudi Arabia."
I'm going to guess British Caledonian. In 1985 they were given a route swap with British Airways, where B Cal took over the routes from London to Saudi, and in exchange (ha ha) BA got the no-hopers London to South America (for which they had no long-haul low-density aircraft, and had to lease two L1011-500s from Air Lanka). It was a last ditch effort by the UK government to keep B Cal going, which three years later had not worked when they were sold to BA for GBP 1 (plus all the debts ... ).

B Cal already did Houston to London, and pushed extensively the throughout service onwards to Saudi.
22. Now it's 1987 and you are in New York City. A friend of yours has just opened a pub in the village of Little Hallingbury in the U.K. and you would like to check it out. You've found the closest airport to Little Hallingbury that has transatlantic air service from New York City. The flight you will be traveling on operates four days a week from Newark (EWR) and makes one stop en route. So you book a seat in business class at the attractive fare of $1,063 one way. Name the air carrier you'll be flying with, the stop, the airport you will arrive at in the U.K. and the aircraft type.
Is this one for me ? Because Little Hallingbury (how did you know it ?) is just visible (although I'm not allowed any closer) from G-WHBM on the infrequent Sunday afternoons when I manage to get it out. However, 30 years ago it was also the destination for obscure Highland Express, and their sole B747 G-HIHO, which operated (when it could) from JFK through Prestwick to London Stansted. The most unreliable 747 ever, it's mechanical characteristics (or regular lack of them) contributed to the airline's failure after only a short while, and owner Randolph Fields losing millions. Despite which the aircraft was sold on, to a onetime joint partner of Mr Fields. Bonus question. Who was that ?

The pub : http://www.thegeorgeinnhallingbury.co.uk/about.html
jlemon likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3- well, if not a Six, how about a Seven? regarding AA and GSW, I recall we have discussed that being the westernmost point for their Electra operations, and I also believe they didn't run jets there at all
3. Nope, it wasn't a DC-7. As for the Electra, I think AA may have operated the L-188 into El Paso (ELP).....but I'm not sure about this.

One thing I am sure about is the fact that American did indeed operate jet equipment into Fort Worth (GSW). So there's your hint.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to guess British Caledonian. In 1985 they were given a route swap with British Airways, where B Cal took over the routes from London to Saudi, and in exchange (ha ha) BA got the no-hopers London to South America (for which they had no long-haul low-density aircraft, and had to lease two L1011-500s from Air Lanka). It was a last ditch effort by the UK government to keep B Cal going, which three years later had not worked when they were sold to BA for GBP 1 (plus all the debts ... ).

B Cal already did Houston to London, and pushed extensively the throughout service onwards to Saudi.

Is this one for me ? Because Little Hallingbury (how did you know it ?) is just visible (although I'm not allowed any closer) from G-WHBM on the infrequent Sunday afternoons when I manage to get it out. However, 30 years ago it was also the destination for obscure Highland Express, and their sole B747 G-HIHO, which operated (when it could) from JFK through Prestwick to London Stansted. The most unreliable 747 ever, it's mechanical characteristics (or regular lack of them) contributed to the airline's failure after only a short while, and owner Randolph Fields losing millions. Despite which the aircraft was sold on, to a onetime joint partner of Mr Fields. Bonus question. Who was that ?

The pub : http://www.thegeorgeinnhallingbury.co.uk/about.html
20. Correct! According to a print ad at the time, British Caledonian began serving Dhahran and Jeddah nonstop from London on March 31, 1985. First Class, Super Executive class and Economy class were offered on these flights. And BCal was also serving Dallas/Fort Worth in addition to Houston in 1985.

22. Well, I picked Little Hallingbury right out of the blue, as it were! And I figured it had to have a pub, of course......and you are completely correct with your response! VY 202 was scheduled to depart New York on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays at 6:45 pm and arrive at London Stansted the next day at 8:15 am following an intermediate stop at Prestwick.

Bonus question guess: Sir Richard Branson
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
3- once again pointing out why this is a quiz ... let's go with a Boeing 720

24. In 1997, Midway Airlines was serving only one international destination. Name this destination and also identify the U.S. city where this international nonstop flight originated.
24- Midway had moved their hub from their namesake airport to Raleigh-Durham (RDU) several years earlier ... I believe the flight in question served Cancun (CUN)
25. It's 1998 and you are in Flint, Michigan. A couple of friends have invited you to set sail with them across the Gulf of Mexico to Little Cayman Island in the Caribbean. Their catamaran is moored in Destin, Florida. Lo and behold, you've found a direct flight from Flint to the closest commercially served airport near Destin. This flight makes one intermediate stop en route. Identify the airline, the stop, the airport you will arrive into in Florida and the equipment.
25- the destination airport was in all likelihood Ft Walton Beach / Eglin AFB (VPS; the code reflects the nearby town of Valparaiso) ... I have low expectations as to whether these subsequent parts of the answer are correct, but I'll say Northwest with a DC-9-50 stopping at Memphis (MEM)
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:07 am

Now for a real Obscure Bonus Question. Tie together my two responses above. What is the connection between routes from the UK to South America (which Virgin Atlantic never even contemplated) and the Sir Richard / Randolph Fields tie-up.

Last edited by WHBM; Sep 4, 2017 at 4:22 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3- once again pointing out why this is a quiz ... let's go with a Boeing 720

24- Midway had moved their hub from their namesake airport to Raleigh-Durham (RDU) several years earlier ... I believe the flight in question served Cancun (CUN)

25- the destination airport was in all likelihood Ft Walton Beach / Eglin AFB (VPS; the code reflects the nearby town of Valparaiso) ... I have low expectations as to whether these subsequent parts of the answer are correct, but I'll say Northwest with a DC-9-50 stopping at Memphis (MEM)
3. Nope, it wasn't a Boeing 720....or a 720B, either.

24. Correct!

25. VPS is correct; however, the airline wasn't Northwest, the stop was not made in Memphis and the equipment wasn't a DC-9-50 (although you are close concerning the aircraft type).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.