Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
BASED UPON SCHEDULES IN A 1965 OAG
31. The Buenos Aires to Santiago route is served nonstop by eleven airlines, each operating jet equipment. The jets were built by five different manufacturers. Each airline operates only a single jet type on this route. Identify each of the five jets and match it with the airline(s) that operates it.
HINT: One aircraft type is operated by 5 airlines, two aircraft types are operated by two airlines each and the last two types are unique to just one airline each.
I think I'll take a run at this:
  1. Douglas DC-8: Alitalia, Iberia, KLM, Panagra, Braniff
  2. Boeing 707: Air France, Lufthansa
  3. Convair 990: SAS, Swissair
  4. De Haviland Comet: Aerolineas Argentinas
  5. Vickers VC-10: BOAC
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
...BASED UPON SCHEDULES IN A 1965 OAG
25. You’re in Boston and you need to fly to the U.K. Oh No! All of the nonstop flights to London are sold out! But wait! From Boston there’s another city in the U.K. that benefits from nonstop flights. Identify that city as well as the airline and aircraft that operate the flight.
I'm surprised that our U.K. guru didn't snap this one up right away
"U.K." is more than "England" ... Aer Lingus 707 operating to Shannon, Ireland (SNN)
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by jrl767
I'm surprised that our U.K. guru didn't snap this one up right away
"U.K." is more than "England" ... Aer Lingus 707 operating to Shannon, Ireland (SNN)
As I see it, Shannon hasn't been part of the United Kingdom since 1922, when the Irish Free State was established. In 1965, of course, it was part of Eire, the Republic of Ireland.

For an airport that was in the U.K. in 1965, I'll choose Prestwick, perhaps with a flight on NW.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

arrrrgh ...

disregard my post
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: BA
25. You’re in Boston and you need to fly to the U.K. Oh No! All of the nonstop flights to London are sold out! But wait! From Boston there’s another city in the U.K. that benefits from nonstop flights. Identify that city as well as the airline and aircraft that operate the flight.
Originally Posted by kochleffel
As I see it, Shannon hasn't been part of the United Kingdom since 1922, when the Irish Free State was established. In 1965, of course, it was part of Eire, the Republic of Ireland.

For an airport that was in the U.K. in 1965, I'll choose Prestwick, perhaps with a flight on NW.
Quick ... a glass of water for the man from London

Regarding the flight, I would say that the airline in question was BOAC, and the question was quite carefully worded, as the few flights a week from Boston to PIK, which typically had started off from JFK, continued to London; the question had stated that it was the Non Stop flights to London which were all full. It would be a 707. So if you want to get to London, just continue on the same aircraft.

However, Prestwick is most certainly not a "city". It might be a pleasant(ish) small Scottish seaside town where nothing was open after 6pm apart from the pubs and one fish & chip shop, but despite the big airport there it's really in the boondocks, so the airport was named (at the time) Glasgow Prestwick, despite being 45 miles away winding up the A77 through open country from Glasgow, which of course always had its own airport. BOAC had to provide a special bus there, which was otherwise pretty inaccessible.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bo...=1501738149213

40. Bombay is a great town to catch a ride to on a Comet. Identify four airlines that operate Comets into Bombay.

Depending on when in 1965, BOAC might be one - their Comets were in process of withdrawl. But I can think of another four - East African, United Arab of Egypt, Kuwait Airways, and MEA. So I have to drop one. Let the BOAC one go.

Four for four! WHBM, You Da Man!!
Possibly mentioned before, but a colleague at my office was, at the time of this question, a kid in Beirut, where his father was a flight engineer on Comets (and later 707s) for Kuwait Airways. Ex RAF on Comets, of course. Kuwait was such an undeveloped point at the time that their own airline was actually based in Beirut, where the (wholly British/American) pilots lived. The Kuwait Airways Comet would operate say London through Beirut, crew change, then on through Kuwait to Bombay, where the second crew overnighted. Colleague was inevitably on the Comets and 707s three trips a year to/from boarding school in the UK.

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 3, 2017 at 12:54 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

29. If you wanted to fly direct from Miami to Antofagasta, Chile aboard a jet, which airline would you call? What kind of jet would you be flying upon?
29. LAN-Chile comes to mind; however, I do not believe they were operating direct service between Miami and Antofagasta in 1965.

So it was probably a U.S. based air carrier and I do not think it was Braniff International.

Let's go with Panagra operating a DC-8. I'll also bet this service did not operate daily and at least a couple of stops were made en route such as Panama City, Panama and Lima.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 3, 2017 at 9:49 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
16. In 1959, what was the brand name for United Airlines’ enhanced First Class product as offered on trans-cons and other select markets?

I believe this was Red Carpet Service primarily offered on all-first class configured DC-7 aircraft.

Correct! Red Carpet Service continued well into the jet era and I believe was replaced by 4 Star Service in the early 1970s.

34. A dreary New York winter is suddenly made much nicer when you receive a call from friends asking if you’d care to join them on a scuba diving trip in the Cayman Islands. Can you get to Grand Cayman by tomorrow afternoon? If you can get can get a morning flight to Miami, yes. A call to your travel agent reveals a pleasant surprise however – there’s a new nonstop flight out of Kennedy that will get you into GCM at 3:45pm. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon down to Grand Cayman.

Sounds like Cayman Airways (KX) operating B737-400 equipment.

Sounds good to me. Did you help write the OAG, JL?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
31. The Buenos Aires to Santiago route is served nonstop by eleven airlines, each operating jet equipment. The jets were built by five different manufacturers. Each airline operates only a single jet type on this route. Identify each of the five jets and match it with the airline(s) that operates it.
HINT
: One aircraft type is operated by 5 airlines, two aircraft types are operated by two airlines each and the last two types are unique to just one airline each.

I think I'll take a run at this:
  1. Douglas DC-8: Alitalia, Iberia, KLM, Panagra, Braniff (IB, KL and PG correct) AZ and BN are incorrect
  2. Boeing 707: Air France, Lufthansa (AF and LH are correct)
  3. Convair 990: SAS, Swissair (SR is correct) SK is incorrect
  4. De Haviland Comet: Aerolineas Argentinas (No Comets served this route in 1965)
  5. Vickers VC-10: BOAC (BOAC is incorrect)
A good start, J! You've correctly identified 4 of the aircraft types. Let's see if you can finish up on the additional aircraft type plus those airlines.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 3, 2017 at 10:54 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Sounds good to me. Did you help write the OAG, JL?

Nope! But I sure read quite a few of them back in the day!

I actually guessed this one. And I am very familiar with Cayman Airways (KX) having flown on them many times back in the day when I had airline employee NRSA (Non Revenue Space Available) travel benefits. In fact, GCM was my usual Caribbean getaway spot when I lived in Shell Beach near San Luis Obispo out on the central California coast. I had an annual NRSA pass on SkyWest which made it very easy to jump on one of their Metro III propjets from SBP to LAX. I would then usually get on an Eastern flight (most of the time an L-1011) nonstop from LAX to MIA, many times in first class. And from MIA, I would take KX on to GCM. At one point, KX was operating two class B737-400 aircraft on the MIA-GCM route and several times I was up front enjoying their very gracious service in F featuring signature rum drinks.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jrl767: I'm surprised that our U.K. guru didn't snap this one up right away "U.K." is more than "England" ... Aer Lingus 707 operating to Shannon, Ireland (SNN)

Per Kochleffel: As I see it, Shannon hasn't been part of the United Kingdom since 1922, when the Irish Free State was established. In 1965, of course, it was part of Eire, the Republic of Ireland.

Good call, Mr. K! Prestwick (Glasgow) it was. However, 1965 was a bit early for Northwest trans-Atlantic services. Please have another go at the correct airline. ^

Per jrl767: arrrrgh ... Disregard my post.

Hang in there, J! You'll bounce back on the next one! ^
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM

I would say that the airline in question was BOAC, and the question was quite carefully worded, as the few flights a week from Boston to PIK, which typically had started off from JFK, continued to London; the question had stated that it was the Non Stop flights to London which were all full. It would be a 707. So if you want to get to London, just continue on the same aircraft.

However, Prestwick is most certainly not a "city". It might be a pleasant(ish) small Scottish seaside town where nothing was open after 6pm apart from the pubs and one fish & chip shop, but despite the big airport there it's really in the boondocks, so the airport was named (at the time) Glasgow Prestwick, despite being 45 miles away winding up the A77 through open country from Glasgow, which of course always had its own airport. BOAC had to provide a special bus there, which was otherwise pretty inaccessible.

Nicely put, WHBM. In the OAG, the destination is listed as Glasgow but of course the airport is Prestwick (An old RAF base?). It sounds similar to the relationship between Washington, DC and Dulles International (IAD), located 26 miles from the city proper. The unincorporated, largely African-American community of Willard, which once stood in the airport's current footprint, was demolished, and 87 property owners had their holdings condemned. These days, the area around Dulles appears only marginally busier than in the days of old.

40. Bombay is a great town to catch a ride to on a Comet. Identify four airlines that operate Comets into Bombay.

Possibly mentioned before, but a colleague at my office was, at the time of this question, a kid in Beirut, where his father was a flight engineer on Comets (and later 707s) for Kuwait Airways. Ex RAF on Comets, of course. Kuwait was such an undeveloped point at the time that their own airline was actually based in Beirut, where the (wholly British/American) pilots lived. The Kuwait Airways Comet would operate say London through Beirut, crew change, then on through Kuwait to Bombay, where the second crew overnighted. Colleague was inevitably on the Comets and 707s three trips a year to/from boarding school in the UK.

Thanks for the additional information, W. Back in 1965, it sounds as if the airport at Beirut may well have been the busiest in the Gulf Region...
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
29. If you wanted to fly direct from Miami to Antofagasta, Chile aboard a jet, which airline would you call? What kind of jet would you be flying upon?

LAN-Chile comes to mind; however, I do not believe they were operating direct service between Miami and Antofagasta in 1965. So it was probably a U.S. based air carrier and I do not think it was Braniff International.

Let's go with Panagra operating a DC-8. I'll also bet this service did not operate daily and at least a couple of stops were made en route such as Panama City, Panama and Lima.

Correct you are, Mr. Lemon! I do not have access to the relevant OAG at present but I think your enroute stop progression is very likely spot on.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
35. If you wanted to fly out of Bangkok aboard a Comet, which airline would you call?

I'm going with Malaysian Airlines or Malaysian-Singapore Airlines using Mk4 Comets leased from BOAC.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: BA
I would have called National

Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

34. If in 1965 you wanted to fly aboard a Boeing 720B between London and Beirut – regardless of enroute stops – which airline would you call?
34. I'm thinking this may have been PIA: Pakistan International Airlines (PK).

If so, depending on the day of the week, intermediate stops were made at different locations in Europe en route.

And no, I do not have a 1965 OAG!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.