Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

10. During the early 1980's, Pacific Southwest was planning to begin a hub and spoke operation at an airport it had never served. Sixteen destinations were to be served from this airport and PSA was in talks with another airline as part of the plan to begin this new operation. Identify this airport and also name the other air carrier.
And still looking for a response to the above.....plus, here's a hint: a legal decision stopped this PSA expansion plan. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 20, 2017 at 2:50 pm Reason: hint
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA
Wild guess time.....Bob Hope.
No. Well not that I'm aware. But actually, a contemporary.

Not quite sure how Bob Hope, of all the Hollywood contenders, managed to get BUR named after him. Good agent, probably.

We go from time to time to an amateur theatre in the London suburbs - the Bob Hope Theatre http://www.bobhopetheatre.co.uk/ . It gets this name because Bob Hope himself was born further along the street. I believe they leaned on his estate to get some funding, which helped buy the premises.

Bonus quiz item: So where was the DC-6B built?
Same place as all the Big Doug 4-engined aircraft were built - Santa Monica. The DC8 caused the assembly to move to Long Beach.

Further bonus question. What other jet airliner then nearly got built at the Santa Monica plant.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

Same place as all the Big Doug 4-engined aircraft were built - Santa Monica. The DC8 caused the assembly to move to Long Beach.

Further bonus question. What other jet airliner then nearly got built at the Santa Monica plant.
Correct, of course, with regard to the manufacturing site for the DC-6B. I think the DC-3 and other earlier DC-series aircraft were built there as well.

And let's see if I can redeem myself in the wild guess department with regard to your further bonus question: the Avro Canada C102. I also believe a gentleman by the name of Howard Hughes exhibited quite a bit of interest in this early jet.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
No. Well not that I'm aware. But actually, a contemporary.
I just had a chance to look this one up, only to find that my longstanding belief that the DC3 etc was at Burbank was wrong. The event was actually down the road, at Van Nuys airport. Sorry all.

And let's see if I can redeem myself in the wild guess department with regard to your further bonus question: the Avro Canada C102. I also believe a gentleman by the name of Howard Hughes exhibited quite a bit of interest in this early jet.
No, not the Avro. But on the right lines, and Howard Hughes actually showed a lot of interest in the project I refer to as well.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Things appear to have slowed down a bit here at the OTAQ&D, so in addition to JL's last question from his fine set of PSA based queries, I will add ten more.

I have quite a few more questions ready to go but as my internet quality and by extension response time remains spotty, I shall limit the questions to just ten for now.

10. During the early 1980's, Pacific Southwest was planning to begin a hub and spoke operation at an airport it had never served. Sixteen destinations were to be served from this airport and PSA was in talks with another airline as part of the plan to begin this new operation. Identify this airport and also name the other air carrier.

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1970 OAG

1. You’ve been enjoying a wonderful week at that big pink hotel in Bermuda when you receive a telegram requesting your services in Miami, Florida. Sigh… Miami, huh? Well, I guess it beats Minneapolis this time of year... It wasn’t so many years ago that the Bermuda to Miami route was served nonstop by a couple of different flights that originated in Europe and stopped to refill in BDA before continuing on to MIA and beyond. Alas, not so anymore. These days your options are limited to a single one stop flight. Identify the airline, the equipment and the one-stop routing you’ll be flying between Bermuda and Miami.

2: Well that was certainly quick. You’ve managed to clean up the situation in Miami faster than originally anticipated – and thankfully without having to involve the police this time. Why not take a couple more days off and head down to the Cayman Islands for a visit to Stingray City off the island’s famous North Wall? A quick check of the schedules indicates a choice of two airlines offering nonstop service to GCM from Miami. Identify both airlines and the respective equipment each operates.

3. It really is a small world, isn’t it? While enjoying foo foo umbrella drinks at a resort in Cayman Brac, you run into an old friend from your days on Wild Bill Donovan’s staff. He’s got a boat. He’s got a case of rum. He’s got multiple female traveling companions. Care to join him for a sail over to Aruba the day after tomorrow? Woof!!

Now you’ve got to get back to Miami from Aruba. Back in 1970 there was just one nonstop flight per week. Identify the airline and the aircraft operating this service.

4. For the most part, passengers flying into Miami from international destinations did so aboard large, 4 engine jetliners. Identify the only U.S. airline to fly into Miami from a foreign destination using a 2 engine aircraft. Oh yeah, identify the international point of origin as well as the aircraft.
A N S W E R E D
Note: Caribair has been correctly submitted. Turns out there's one more US airline that also qualifies here...

5 It’s time to get out of Miami and head up to Atlanta. You feel like a little local flight seeing. Hmm… Here’s a five stop flight departing Miami late morning, arriving Atlanta late afternoon. There are no meals served onboard but the itinerary looks intriguing. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the five enroute stops.

6. Consider the following three cities:
  1. Menominee, Michigan
  2. Lafayette, Indiana
  3. Manhattan, Kansas
Each city is served by a single airline and each airline operates the same aircraft type. Identify the airline serving each city and the common aircraft type utilized by each airline.
A N S W E R E D

7. Identify this airline that ran ads in 1970 claiming that it:
• Had the best on-time service of any airline in North America
• Served over 100 cities in the U.S., Canada and Mexico
• Offered First Class leg room for all jet passengers
• Offered five abreast seating on all jet flights

8. You’re in Los Angeles and you want to fly up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend. Which airline can get you there nonstop and aboard which aircraft type?
A N S W E R E D

9. In 1970 Delta Airlines operated just two routes originating from an airport within the Continental United to destinations outside the Continental U.S. Identify both routes.
A N S W E R E D

10. The entire state of Pennsylvania is well served by Allegheny Airlines. This is particularly true in Western Pennsylvania (West of Harrisburg) where outside of Pittsburgh, Allegheny is the only airline offering service from most smaller communities. In Erie however, you have a choice of airlines with the one that’s not Allegheny offering three daily jet flights. Identify this airline and the jet type it flies into Erie. A cyber pat on the back if you can also identify from which two cities this airline operates its jets into Erie.
A N S W E R E D

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS

11. What was the world’s first non-scheduled “Holiday” airline to operate the 747? What year did it commence service with that airline?

12. What is the common thread between these four numbers? 11 75 42 17

13. Identify the last of the original Convair 880 and 990 operators to fly each aircraft. By “original” I mean airlines that ordered the aircraft new from Convair.
A N S W E R E D

14. Where would you be if you were enjoying a beer at the Sourdough Bar?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 20, 2017 at 10:48 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
  1. Menominee, Michigan
  2. Lafayette, Indiana
  3. Manhattan, Kansas
Each city is served by a single airline and each airline operates the same aircraft type. Identify the airline serving each city and the common aircraft type utilized by each airline.
6- being highly confident of #2 (Allegheny, Convair 580), I will posit the logical choices of North Central for #1 and Frontier for #2

9. In 1970 Delta Airlines operated just two routes originating from an airport within the Continental United to destinations outside the Continental U.S. Identify both routes.
9- how about New Orleans (MSY) to San Juan PR (SJU) and Montego Bay JM (MBJ) ... and I'll further state that both routes saw DC-8 service
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Things appear to have slowed down a bit here at the OTAQ&D.......

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1970 OAG

1. Menominee, Michigan
  2. Lafayette, Indiana
  3. Manhattan, Kansas

8. You’re in Los Angeles and you want to fly up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend. Which airline can get you there nonstop and aboard which aircraft type?
Indeed they have slowed down a bit.....but we have been keeping the flame alive, sir! And welcome back!

6. I'll guess the aircraft type was that stalwart (and converted) old soldier, the Convair 580. And as for the three cities....

* Menominee, MI - North Central
* Lafayette, IN - Allegheny
* Manhattan, KS - Frontier

And I just noticed jrl767 has already provided an answer for #6 ......

8. Sounds like Holiday Airlines operating a Lockheed L-188 Electra.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 18, 2017 at 7:24 pm
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

N910TE

Originally Posted by jrl767
.....up until yesterday I was of the belief that "Stargazer" was the last airworthy TriStar on the US registry.....
As was I. And there has been some chatter on a couple of aviation websites concerning what was apparently the last flight of this L-1011 which was originally delivered new to PSA as noted by WHBM. It has been reported this was the first flight "in over fifteen years" for this TriStar. That leads me to believe it was operated on a one time ferry permit concerning its journey from TUS to MCI several days ago. Furthermore, it's also been reported the aircraft developed problems shortly after take off from Tucson which resulted in one of the engines being shut down with a quick return to TUS where the situation was then rectified.

So what's the plan for this great old bird now that she is in Kansas City?

This from the "TriStar Experience" website.....

"Since June of 2015, TriStar Experience Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education has provided programs to youth groups such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Big Brothers Big Sisters utilizing our flightworthy MD-83 aircraft located at KC Downtown Airport. Our mission is to inspire people, particularly kids, to engage with STEM curricula using aviation as an impressive example of how technology shapes our modern world. We tailor our programs to feature as much hands-on direct interaction with real aircraft as possible."

"In July of 2017, TriStar Experience will relocate our namesake aircraft, a massive Lockheed L-1011 TriStar, to Kansas City International Airport. Once there, the TriStar team will turn this gigantic airliner into a self-contained "Aviation Educational Platform" which we hope will inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers to discover the power of STEM."

Well then.....sounds like a noble undertaking to me and we shall see if it all works out.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 18, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:08 am

Letter from Spain

Well here we are, having repositioned 1,000 miles south to the Mediterranean, courtesy of British Airways Embraer 190 G-LCYT, which brought us yesterday morning from London City to Malaga, in the very south of Spain. Africa is about 100 miles across the sea in front of me.

London City does change a bit at this time of year, its staple of business flights runs down, and some ingenious rescheduling of resources manages to fit in such flights for just a couple of months. One of the crews once wrote that they seem to see the same faces that they do the rest of the year on trips to Edinburgh or Frankfurt. Anyway, a pleasant ride south, and here we are.

Malaga has an impressive curved approach, descending over a succession of high mountain ridges between higher peaks. I did think of those pioneer holiday flights of the 1960s, rattling down through the night in an unpressurised DC4, 4 to 5 hours, and then navigating down on a single NDB beacon through the darkness. Despite which, unlike some other Spanish destinations on UK holiday flights, all seems to have been fine. There weren't any DC4s around as we taxied in, but in one of those pleasant moments, as we drove away from the terminal suddenly there was an Iberia DC3 https://www.google.es/maps/@36.67103...7i13312!8i6656 , rather faded but seemingly complete, in a little compound, sunning the days, and likely years, away to itself [** see edit]

Malaga airport has what was undoubtedly a fine large terminal when it opened in 1990, but like a surprising amount of the Costa del Sol has been allowed to go to seed since construction. The floors are not only worn and cracked, but seem in need of quite simply a good wash, and the whole place has a rather dark and spartan air. The one and only point to buy a bottle of water in the whole exit process, a vending machine, was (we eventually discovered, likewise everyone else who approached it) broken. It's one of the few places on the Mediterranean which gets holiday flights from North America, Air Transat were in from Toronto, and I was reminded of taking good old Wardair across the Atlantic in the 1970s, who used to give out a "route map" of their charter flight destinations from Canada, which had a line even then for exactly the same routing. The landscape here is rather Californian in its mountains running down through dry and sandy hills to the sea, although the coastal developments are a rather cheap and tawdry lot, even for Spain.

So here we are. Not a lot about old airliners (apart from the DC3). And on we, surely pleasantly, go.

** I've found out about the DC3. Never Iberia. USAF to 1960, then the Spanish Air Force. Sold 1978, little used, been laying at various Spanish airports, at Malaga since 2003 (which is probably when it was last painted).

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 19, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
Menominee, Michigan
Lafayette, Indiana
Manhattan, Kansas

Being highly confident of #2 (Allegheny, Convair 580), I will posit the logical choices of North Central for #1 and Frontier for #2

How about New Orleans (MSY) to San Juan PR (SJU) and Montego Bay JM (MBJ) ... and I'll further state that both routes saw DC-8 service
Toss you a couple of softballs and lookee here! You knocked 'em both outta the park! ^^
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sounds like Holiday Airlines operating a Lockheed L-188 Electra.

The timing of this question was a bit poor given that we recently discussed Holiday Airlines just a few posts back. Regardless, spot on Mr. Lemon, spot on.

P.S. It was great chatting with you the other day. I'm working on possibly making my way to Lafayette aboard the Sunset Limited later this fall, possibly on Oct. 22nd when the Saints are playing the Packers. Affordable availability is the issue at present. Watch your mail for that OAG...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:56 am

Now you just know I haven't got any of my reference material with me currently ...

1. You’ve been enjoying a wonderful week at that big pink hotel in Bermuda when you receive a telegram requesting your services in Miami, Florida. Sigh… Miami, huh? Well, I guess it beats Minneapolis this time of year... It wasn’t so many years ago that the Bermuda to Miami route was served nonstop by a couple of different flights that originated in Europe and stopped to refill in BDA before continuing on to MIA and beyond. Alas, not so anymore. These days your options are limited to a single one stop flight. Identify the airline, the equipment and the one-stop routing you’ll be flying between Bermuda and Miami.
Sounds like BOAC, stopping in the Bahamas. Both Nassau and Freeport were used. Only tossup is whether it was a 707 or VC10. I'll go for the 707.

There was a licence issue, ironically in the "Bermuda Agreement", which prevented direct London to Miami flights for years, but BOAC had permission for both London to The Bahamas and separately The Bahamas to Miami, from the days prior to Bahamas Airways when BOAC provided routes from there.

4. For the most part, passengers flying into Miami from international destinations did so aboard large, 4 engine jetliners. Identify the only U.S. airline to fly into Miami from a foreign destination using a 2 engine aircraft. Oh yeah, identify the international point of origin as well as the aircraft.
I think this would be Chalks, operating a range of Grumman amphibians, the Goose and the Albatross, to The Bahamas. They had been doing this for a longtime, from a supposedly downtown terminal which was actually on the causeway over to Miami Beach. They served Bimini and other island points.

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 19, 2017 at 10:01 am
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
10. The entire state of Pennsylvania is well served by Allegheny Airlines. This is particularly true in Western Pennsylvania (West of Harrisburg) where outside of Pittsburgh, Allegheny is the only airline offering service from most smaller communities. In Erie however, you have a choice of airlines with the one that’s not Allegheny offering three daily jet flights. Identify this airline and the jet type it flies into Erie. A cyber pat on the back if you can also identify from which two cities this airline operates its jets into Erie.
10- this was probably Mohawk, which would of course have been operating a BAC One-Eleven ... I will speculate that the flights came 2x from Rochester (ROC) and 1x from Elmira (ELM)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:17 am

My guess about another two engined aircraft operator at MIA: Caribair, with a DC-9 from SJU and PAP.

PSA signed an agreement with Braniff's creditors to operate a hub at DFW using Braniff's aircraft and crews. However, PSA was not allowed to take over Braniff's ATC slots (this transaction occurred in the aftermath of the 1981 controllers' strike), so without ATC slots the PSA-Braniff deal was dead.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13. Identify the last of the original Convair 880 and 990 operators to fly each aircraft. By “original” I mean airlines that ordered the aircraft new from Convair.
13- let's see ... how about Cathay Pacific and Swissair, respectively; I believe both had withdrawn their jets from service by 1976

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.