Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by walker46
Pretty sure it was Midwest Express DC-9 with an intermediate stop in Milwaukee.
14) Correct! And welcome walker46!

Here's the sched....

YX 521: GRR-MKE-DEN
Op: Daily except Sun.
Equip: DC9
Note: Full hot breakfast served en route
Old Nov 5, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Good Morning All!

3) Also in 1993, this airline operated once a week from Madrid (MAD) to Malabo, Equatorial Guinea (SSG) in west Africa via one intermediate stop. Name the airline, the aircraft type it operated on the route and the intermediate stop.
That would be Iberia with an AB3, intermediate stop Lagos (LOS).
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
That would be Iberia with an AB3, intermediate stop Lagos (LOS).
3) Iberia is correct! Although I think I should have been more specific with regard to the time period in 1993 as I do not doubt that IB operated an A300 at one point on the routing you mentioned!

Here's the schedule I based this quiz item on from the October 1993 Worldwide OAG.....

IB 3980: Dep. MAD 0340, Arr. LPA 0520, Dep, LAP 0610, Arr. SSG 1220
Op: Sat. only
Equip: 72S (C/Y config)
Note: LAP - Gran Canaria (LAP) in the Canary Islands.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
[I][B]15) In the fall of 1994, Air Canada (AC) was operating three nonstop flights a day between Toronto (YYZ) and Miami (MIA) primarily with A320 equipment (although one of these flights was operated with a B767-200 on Saturdays). However, there was another airline flying a daily nonstop between YYZ and MIA at this time. Identify this air carrier and the aircraft type it operated on the route.

16) Once again in the fall of 1994, only one airline was operating nonstop jet service from Tallahassee (TLH) to Miami (MIA) with three flights a day. Each flight was operated with a different aircraft type. In addition, this carrier operated a fourth flight that made one intermediate stop en route from TLH to MIA which was flown with a fourth jet aircraft type. Name the airline and the four different types of equipment it operated on the route. And for bonus points, identify the intermediate stop made by the only flight that was not a nonstop.
Resting in my hotel after the long haul from sfo-pek, I'll see if I can do any better on these:
15) Delta, with an MD80.
16) and half an answer here. I'm pretty sure it was US Air, with various 737 versions, but I can't identify the intermediate stop.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Resting in my hotel after the long haul from sfo-pek, I'll see if I can do any better on these:
15) Delta, with an MD80.
16) and half an answer here. I'm pretty sure it was US Air, with various 737 versions, but I can't identify the intermediate stop.
15) Correct! Besides YYZ, Delta was also operating nonstops at this time into MIA from BOS, CVG, DFW, JFK, MCO, YUL and, of course, ATL. In addition, DL was flying onestop service into MIA from ALB, CLE, CMH, ELP, IAH and ONT as well.

16) Correct again! Here are the southbound scheds.....

US 2497: TLH-TPA-MIA
Op: Daily except Sat. & Sun.
Equip: B737-200

US 2215: TLH-MIA
Op: Daily
Equip: B737-300

US 1995: TLH-MIA
Op: Daily
Equip: B737-400

US 815: TLH-MIA
Op: Daily except Sat.
Equip: F28

While we are in MIA, here's a bonus question: in the fall of 1994, Air Canada and Delta were both operating nonstop service between Montreal and Miami. There was also a third carrier flying between the two cities. This airline was operating onestop service on the route three days a week. Identify this air carrier, the equipment used and the intermediate stop. And here's a hint: this airline was not based in the U.S. or Canada.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 9, 2013 at 11:48 am
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:24 pm

While we are in MIA, here's a bonus question: in the fall of 1994, Air Canada and Delta were both operating nonstop service between Montreal and Miami. There was also a third carrier flying between the two cities. This airline was operating onestop service on the route three days a week. Identify this air carrier, the equipment used and the intermediate stop. And here's a hint: this airline was not based in the U.S. or Canada.
I may have the time frame wrong, but Aerolineas Argentinas (AR) had a 737 flight from Montreal to Miami with a stop in YYZ around that time.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I may have the time frame wrong, but Aerolineas Argentinas (AR) had a 737 flight from Montreal to Miami with a stop in YYZ around that time.
An excellent guess! However, it was another airline based in South America, the intermediate stop was made at another airport and the aircraft type was not a 737.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: All of them!
1994/Miami-YMX air service--
I could only find 1995 schedules, but that year Ladeco was flying MIA/BWI/YMX once a week (TUES) using 757 aircraft.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
How about LAN Chili with a 767?

I flew YUL-JFK-MIA in First Class on an Aerolineas Argentinas 747 back in 1986. I had pheasant for dinner out of New York and after the plates were cleared, cigars were offered. I did not partake of those.

I just want to take a moment to offer up a very well deserved THANK YOU! to jlemon for keeping the fires stoked here with the considerable time and effort he's put into posing all these great quiz questions. They do take time to research and subsequently address and he's been carrying the bulk of the load for the past month or so here. Your efforts are very much appreciated and once again, thank you.

When I get back home on November 23rd, it'll be my turn to pick up the slack and give you a well deserved rest.

Here's a single question though from my most recent travels:

Three nights ago I flew from Kigali, Rwanda to Entebbe, Uganda aboard a 737-900. What airline was I flying upon?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Three nights ago I flew from Kigali, Rwanda to Entebbe, Uganda aboard a 737-900. What airline was I flying upon?
Was the coffee good ......... ?

And I'm sorry I haven't the time at present to throw in some questions of my own at present. Never mind, one day .....

Last edited by WHBM; Nov 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cs57
1994/Miami-YMX air service--
I could only find 1995 schedules, but that year Ladeco was flying MIA/BWI/YMX once a week (TUES) using 757 aircraft.
Ladeco (also referred to as LADECO, Linea Aerea del Cobre, which basically translates to "Airline of Copper") is correct! The intermediate stop between Miami and Montreal Mirabel on these particular services was actually JFK. Here are the scheds.....

UC 320: EZE-SCL-MIA-JFK-YMX
Op: Tues., Thurs. & Sat. only (from MIA; Mon. Weds. & Fri. from EZE and SCL)
Equip: 757
Note: No local traffic MIA-JFK; local traffic permitted MIA-YMX and JFK-YMX

UC 321: YMX-JFK-MIA-SCL-EZE
Op: Tues., Thurs. & Sat. only
Equip: 757
Note: No local traffic JFK-MIA; local traffic permitted YMX-JFK and YMX-MIA

It appears Ladeco began operations in the late 50's in Chile where it was based. During its existence, I believe it flew DC-3, DC-6B, F27, BAC One-Eleven, B707, B727, B737-200 and B737-300 equipment besides the B757-200. The airline was acquired by and merged into LAN Chile in the mid 90's.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 12, 2013 at 6:29 pm
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
How about LAN Chili with a 767?

I flew YUL-JFK-MIA in First Class on an Aerolineas Argentinas 747 back in 1986. I had pheasant for dinner out of New York and after the plates were cleared, cigars were offered. I did not partake of those.

I just want to take a moment to offer up a very well deserved THANK YOU! to jlemon for keeping the fires stoked here with the considerable time and effort he's put into posing all these great quiz questions. They do take time to research and subsequently address and he's been carrying the bulk of the load for the past month or so here. Your efforts are very much appreciated and once again, thank you.

When I get back home on November 23rd, it'll be my turn to pick up the slack and give you a well deserved rest.

Here's a single question though from my most recent travels:

Well, you're most welcome! I may just have a few more quiz items by this weekend! And following that, I think I'll take a break as we approach the second anniversary of the birth of the Old Timer's Airline and Airliner Quiz !
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Morning All!

2) In the fall of 1993, Buenos Aires was served by another airport with several airlines operating scheduled jet service. Identify this airfield and at least three air carriers that served it. And for bonus points, also identify the jet aircraft types these airlines operated from this airport. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 17, 2013 at 2:32 pm Reason: Answer update
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18) In the fall of 1993, two airlines were competing with nonstop service between New Orleans (MSY) and Belize City (BZE). Identify both carriers and the aircraft type respectively operated by each on the route. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 16, 2013 at 12:11 pm Reason: Answer update
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: All of them!
18) Air Service--1993--New Orleans/Belize City:
SAHSA with 727-100
and
TACA with 737

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.