Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
Speaking of AOM and Cuba, here's a bonus quiz item:

At one point, AOM was operating a DC-10 departure from Havana which made an intermediate stop en route to France. This flight was only operated once a week. Identify this intermediate stop which was in the western hemisphere but was not in Cuba.
And still looking for an answer to the above as well.....
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

26. Tired of Continental’s then lackluster service between Houston and Merida, you decide to check out the competition’s nonstop, which operates four days per week. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

28. If you wanted to fly on a jet out of Ponce, Puerto Rico, it used to be you had to call Eastern Airlines. These days another airline is the sole operator of jet flights out of Ponce with nonstop flights to two mainland cities. Identify the airline operating these flights and the two destinations served.
26. I believe the airline in question was mentioned several times recently here on OTAQ&D: Aviateca (GU). If so, equipment in 1991 probably was a B737-300.

28. I think this may have been Carnival Air Lines (KW) operating B727-200 flights from Ponce to both Newark (EWR) and New York (JFK) with some specific flights perhaps serving both airports (such as a routing of PSE-JFK-EWR or PSE-EWR-JFK).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:51 am

I cannot recall any scheduled CV-880 operations at DFW. Delta, of course, operated the 880 into Dallas Love Field, including this interesting flight in 1962:

DL 892: San Francisco (SFO) 1:05a - 6:05a Dallas (DAL) 7:00a - 7:59a New Orleans (MSY) 9:30a - 12:50p Montego Bay (MBJ) 1:20p - 3:39p Caracas (CCS)
Op: Fridays only
Equip: CV-880
Service classes: F/R (first & tourist)

And this engenders yet another bonus quiz item......

Besides Dallas Love Field, the Convair 880 was operated in scheduled passenger service into four other airports in Texas. Identify all four airports and for bonus points identify the airlines as well.
Three of these are easy: Amarillo on TWA, and IAH and HOU on Delta. The 4th is harder, but I'll guess ELP as a stop on the AA / DL interchange. The flight would have used a DL 880, flown with AA crews.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:52 am

And still looking for an answer to the above as well.....
I'll guess Fort de France, Martinique.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Three of these are easy: Amarillo on TWA, and IAH and HOU on Delta. The 4th is harder, but I'll guess ELP as a stop on the AA / DL interchange. The flight would have used a DL 880, flown with AA crews.
Yep, I agree: AMA, HOU and IAH are the low hanging fruit here. And according to the Delta website, the airline operated the world's first scheduled Convair 880 passenger service. The flight was from Houston Hobby to New York Idlewild on May 15, 1960 and I believe the airplane was in an all first class configuration with 84 seats at that time. BTW, my one and only flight on board a CV-880 was from IAH to ATL on DL back around 1971.

However, it's the fourth 880 destination in Texas that might be a bit harder to guess as it was not El Paso (ELP).

And to the best of my knowledge, Delta did not operate the Convair 880 in an interchange service with AA as I think DL had been granted route authority between Texas and California shortly after the airline introduced DC-8 and CV-880 flights. I could be wrong, of course, although a 1960 Delta timetable lists AA-DL interchange flights operated with B707, B720, DC-6, DC-7, DC-7B and DC-8 equipment....but not with the 880.

So please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 29, 2017 at 2:47 pm Reason: clarification & additional info
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I'll guess Fort de France, Martinique.
Fort de France (FDF) would appear to be a logical choice.....and I probably would have made the same guess myself.

However, the AOM flight did not stop there. In fact, the flight in question did not stop at a French controlled island in the Caribbean.

But it did make this stop on an island where another country's flag had previously flown.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
However, it's the fourth 880 destination in Texas that might be a bit harder to guess as it was not El Paso (ELP).
how's about Fort Worth - Greater Southwest International (GSW)?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
how's about Fort Worth - Greater Southwest International (GSW)?
Bingo! Here are a couple of Delta schedules from 1962....

DL 895: New Orleans (MSY) 7:20a - 8:25a Fort Worth (GSW) 8:55a - 9:45a San Diego (SAN) 10:15a - 10:47a Los Angeles (LAX)
Op: Daily
Equip: CV-880 Royal JET Service

DL 894: Los Angeles (LAX) 4:55p - 9:30p Fort Worth (GSW) 10:00p - 10:57p New Orleans (MSY)
Op: Daily
Equip: CV-880 Royal JET Service

And GSW was about the closest location to DFW that ever saw 880 service....

BTW, Greater Southwest was originally named Amon Carter Field (ACF).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
However, the AOM flight did not stop there. In fact, the flight in question did not stop at a French controlled island in the Caribbean.

But it did make this stop on an island where another country's flag had previously flown.
If AOM was operating on behalf of Cubana, perhaps the stop was YQX where flights from eastern Europe to HAV did make stops. And the national flag for Newfoundland did change (arguably only very slightly) in 1949.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: BA
AOM also did a range of flights, both scheduled and holiday flights, from Paris to the Dominican Republic, as this became a European resort of choice from the late 1980s. Santo Domingo is the commercial centre whereas Puerto Plata is the European resort destination (mirrored by Havana and Varadero respectively in Cuba). I'll go for a DC-10 triangle flight Paris-Havana-Puerto Plata-Paris.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
If AOM was operating on behalf of Cubana, perhaps the stop was YQX where flights from eastern Europe to HAV did make stops. And the national flag for Newfoundland did change (arguably only very slightly) in 1949.
Gander is an excellent guess! However, the stop was not made in YQX....it was made at an island with a decidedly tropical atmosphere.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
AOM also did a range of flights, both scheduled and holiday flights, from Paris to the Dominican Republic, as this became a European resort of choice from the late 1980s. Santo Domingo is the commercial centre whereas Puerto Plata is the European resort destination (mirrored by Havana and Varadero respectively in Cuba). I'll go for a DC-10 triangle flight Paris-Havana-Puerto Plata-Paris.
Yet another excellent guess! However, the stop was not made at Puerto Plata (POP)......but we are getting closer to the island in question.

And with that, I'm off to our friendly local garden shop for more St. Augustine s.....er...turf....as our backyard lawn restoration project continues to evolve.

P.S. - Ah, Varadero. I've never been there....nor to Cuba. But we did overfly VRA a few months ago en route from Grand Cayman to Miami and from my vantage point in a window seat in F on board an AA A319, it appeared to be a modern airport and terminal.

And speaking of the Caribbean, I am now on course to add a new destination to my rather lengthy list of tropical islands visited in the region: Providenciales (PLS) in the Turks & Caicos. Lady K and yours truly will spend a week on the beach down there in early October.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 29, 2017 at 3:25 pm Reason: VRA & PLS
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for your patience, everyone. Today is the first time I've been able to completely load this page and the reply box.

26. Tired of Continental’s then lackluster service between Houston and Merida, you decide to check out the competition’s nonstop, which operates four days per week. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

I believe the airline in question was mentioned several times recently here on OTAQ&D: Aviateca (GU). If so, equipment in 1991 probably was a B737-300.

Correct you are,JL! Here's the schedule:

GU 921 IAH-MID 1250p – 250p 733 X135

If you wanted to fly on a jet out of Ponce, Puerto Rico, it used to be you had to call Eastern Airlines. These days another airline is the sole operator of jet flights out of Ponce with nonstop flights to two mainland cities. Identify the airline operating these flights and the two destinations served.

I think this may have been Carnival Air Lines (KW) operating B727-200 flights from Ponce to both Newark (EWR) and New York (JFK) with some specific flights perhaps serving both airports (such as a routing of PSE-JFK-EWR or PSE-EWR-JFK).

You've correctly identified Carnival Air Lines as the carrier of record. Additionally, KW did indeed operate a 727-200 on a Sunday only schedule between Ponce and New York JFK.

We are still looking for one additional airport served by KW from Ponce. As well, a different aircraft type was utilized on this route.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: BA
the Convair 880 was operated in scheduled passenger service into four other airports in Texas
Further bonus question.

The Convair 340/440 sold pretty well to a range of mainstream European carriers, while the Convair 990 jet ran for a number as well (I once saw three different carriers' 990s alongside one another at Heathrow Terminal 2.

However, the Convair 880 - did that ever even appear in Europe ? And if so, with who ?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
28- Carnival Airlines, obviously closely affiliated with the eponymous cruise line, had a fair amount of service at the port of Fort Lauderdale (FLL) ... I seem to recall that KW operated the 737-400 as well as the 72S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.