Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
As it is late in the evening, what plane made its first flight today, August 1st in 1966. This plane is still active, though limited, in today's world.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
21. Following a wonderful weekend of food and grog in New Orleans, you’re relocating to Merida, Mexico to visit archeologist friends who have unearthed some important new artifacts. You were expecting to have to make a connection in Mexico City or Miami but to your surprise there’s a nonstop flight to Merida that operates four days per week. Identify the airline and equipment you’ll be flying upon.

Those were the days when Boeing 707 aircraft operated by Pan American World Airways graced the ramp at Moisant Field (MSY). So we'll go with PA with a 707 here and I believe this flight continued on south from Merida to several exotic locations in Central America.

Correcto! The flight would've been PA 505, Boeing 707 departing MSY on Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday at 1200n, arriving MID at 130p. That flight then continued on into Central America.

22. You're ready to return to the states but a tropical storm has damaged Merida's airport, forcing you to make alternative arrangements. Identify the closet airport to Merida with jet service.

Hmmmmm.....the closest airport to Merida back then was probably Campeche (CPE). However, I do not think Campeche had jet service at this time as Mexicana (MX) was probably operating DC-6 service into CPE. So let's head east to the island of Cozumel (CZM) where Mexicana may have been operating Comet jet service a the time.....or was it a 727 by then?

Per the schedule I reference, the DC-6 was still the aircraft of record on MX services into CPE and CZM. As such, we're still looking for a different airport.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA
An 0430 departure here by car upcountry up the M1 to a business meeting. It's still fully dark outside - guess the year is rolling on. And someone very pleasant has got up to cook breakfast.
Cleveland and Nassau. Which airline is it?

That wouldn't be the time that UPS were running passenger flights at weekends, would it?

I never knew that UPS were doing so in 1991 or any other time. I'd love to hear more. Were those scheduled flights or on behalf of a third party?
I found this article about UPS passenger flights a while ago. They bought many of the former airline 727QC convertible freighters, they came with removable passenger seats on pallets. Some contract FAs from an agency and UPS gave it a run for a while, at the time in the question.

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=377389

15. What was the longest route flown by Capital Airlines in early 1959?
What about the corridor that continued with United through the 1960s, in the rear pages of their timetables, from the Great Lakes (Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland) down to Miami. Say from Cleveland. Might have been beyond a Viscount, so with a DC-6B.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
[B]

101: What is the common thread between these four numbers? 11 75 42 17

These are Boeing customer codes for airlines in Canada that bought new aircraft from them Correct!

Eastern Provincial (11) Incorrect
Pacific Western (75) Correct
Air Canada (42) Incorrect
CP Air (17) Correct

Good start, Joe. Care to clean up those two incorrect ones?

102. Where would you be if you were enjoying a beer at the Sourdough Bar?

Enroute to Seat 2A's adopted state, on an Alaska Airlines Convair 880.
Incorrect The 880 had a First Class lounge but not a bar, per se.

23. You need to relocate from Mexico City to north of the border. No, not that border! The other border – to Montreal, Canada. You’ve flown between these two cities many times and have generally been quite pleased with the service you’ve received aboard Canadian Pacific. Still, variety is the spice of life and so you decide to try another airline that offers a two-stop direct flight between Mexico City and Montreal. Identify that airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft utilized.

This would be AeroMexico's DC-8 flight MEX-DTW-YYZ-YUL.

Si, Señor! Muy bien!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
26. Two airlines offer nonstop flights between London and Gibraltar. One of them offers the occasional First Class equipped flight while the other offers only a single once weekly flight all-economy class configured flight. At 1965 prices, we can’t afford First Class anyway, so we book a seat on the all-economy class flight. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this once weekly flight.

I think that the major operator would be BEA with a Vanguard, and maybe the occasional Comet (in F/Y configuration), or even one of the handful of F/Y Vanguards. However, the oddball flight would be British United on a One-Eleven.

The BUA flight was an obscure hangover from, of all things, a weekly service their predecessors used to run with Viscounts down to West Africa, stopping at various points along the way, including Gibraltar. They had traffic rights to there, and did not want to give them up. It was run essentially as a holiday flight for tour companies.

Spot on, WHBM, with the only exception being that per the schedule I referenced, the aircraft was a Viscount, which I've taken the liberty of identifying here since aside from the One-Eleven since I don't believe there were any other options on the flights through Gibraltar.

40. Bombay is a great town to catch a ride to on a Comet. Identify four airlines that operate Comets into Bombay.

Depending on when in 1965, BOAC might be one - their Comets were in process of withdrawl. But I can think of another four - East African, United Arab of Egypt, Kuwait Airways, and MEA. So I have to drop one. Let the BOAC one go.

Four for four! WHBM, You Da Man!!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
16. If you wanted to fly on a jet out of Ponce, Puerto Rico, it used to be you had to call Eastern Airlines. These days another airline is the sole operator of jet flights out of Ponce with nonstop flights to two mainland cities. Identify the airline operating these flights and the two destinations served.

Well, I have to presume that, by process of elimination, we have realized that we are looking for a KW A300 ... jlemon's guess of EWR as the other destination has been rejected, so how about Orlando (MCO)?

Ever so close, but no. Right state, wrong airport...

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I am going to say MIA as it was Carnival's other hub, even though FLL was their HQ, using a 737-400

Correct airport, wrong aircraft! Between the two of youse, I'm sure we can sort this out! ^

38. Hong Kong is a popular spot amongst airlines that operate Convair jetliners. A check of the schedules reveals five airlines that operate either the 880 or 990 into HKG. Can you identify each of the five airlines?

Let's try Thai International Airways with a 990

An excellent guess, J, and one that I was looking for when I formatted this question, but alas - No. It was not Thai.

Please - guess again!!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
15. What was the longest route flown by Capital Airlines in early 1959?

I'll try this one more time: LGA-ATL with a Viscount, of course.

Your persistence is admirable, JL! I did double check the relevant OAG and the mileage chart just to be sure though, and alas - you're still out in the woods on this one. Come home, soon!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

15. What was the longest route flown by Capitol Airlines in early 1959?

What about the corridor that continued with United through the 1960s, in the rear pages of their timetables, from the Great Lakes (Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland) down to Miami. Say from Cleveland. Might have been beyond a Viscount, so with a DC-6B.

Correct! The route map showed BUF-MIA nonstop but the schedules didn't reflect that so CLE-MIA was the longest. However, the DC-6B was not the aircraft of record per the schedules I referenced.

Two other aircraft operated along the CLE-MIA nonstop route though...

I found this article about UPS passenger flights a while ago. They bought many of the former airline 727QC convertible freighters, they came with removable passenger seats on pallets. Some contract FAs from an agency and UPS gave it a run for a while, at the time in the question.

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=377389

^ ^ Thank You!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99
As it is late in the evening, what plane made its first flight today, August 1st in 1966. This plane is still active, though limited, in today's world.
In 1966, jets were in, props were passe. The 737 didn't come around until '67 I believe whereas the DC-9 entered service in 1965. None of the European jets like the Mercure are still about and I think the Fokker F.28 was in '69...

Could it be a DC-9 derivative? Say the -20 (SAS) or the -30? I doubt there're any -20s still flying, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's still a -30 still around in Africa or Venezuela somewhere. I think PABA from Dominica was flying a -30 recently...
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
13. What was the longest route flown by Capital Airlines in early 1959?
... What about the corridor that continued with United through the 1960s, in the rear pages of their timetables, from the Great Lakes (Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland) down to Miami. Say from Cleveland. Might have been beyond a Viscount, so with a DC-6B.
Correct! The route map showed BUF-MIA nonstop but the schedules didn't reflect that so CLE-MIA was the longest. However, the DC-6B was not the aircraft of record per the schedules I referenced.

13- Capital had Lockheed Constellations and DC-4s at one time or another ... while the Connies were probably still extant, I find it surprising that the Four may have still been plying mainline routes in 1959

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 1, 2017 at 11:45 pm
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
In 1966, jets were in, props were passe. The 737 didn't come around until '67 I believe whereas the DC-9 entered service in 1965. None of the European jets like the Mercure are still about and I think the Fokker F.28 was in '69...

Could it be a DC-9 derivative? Say the -20 (SAS) or the -30? I doubt there're any -20s still flying, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's still a -30 still around in Africa or Venezuela somewhere. I think PABA from Dominica was flying a -30 recently...
Correct, the DC9-30 made it's maiden flight on 8/1/66. The largest current operator is Aeronaves TSM of Mexico operating 6 actively, although in a cargo configuration. PAWA Dominica still has one active in passenger format.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: BA
Capital had Lockheed Constellations and DC-4s at one time or another ... while the Connies were probably still extant ... plying mainline routes in 1959
I should have known this. A number of Capital's Lockheed Connies were ex-BOAC. The latter got a number of early L-049 medium range Connies, while Capital bought some later ones of the L-749 model (looks the same but much better long range performance). When the Comet issues erupted in 1954, and BOAC was desperately short of long range aircraft, they did a straight swap of their earlier aircraft for Capital's later models. Presumably some money changed hands as well. These Capital aircraft came back to the UK later in life, probably after our question, and formed the starting fleet of Euravia, which a couple of years later became Britannia Airways, long the largest UK independent airline.

I found this article about UPS passenger flights a while ago. They bought many of the former airline 727QC convertible freighters, they came with removable passenger seats on pallets
Incidentally, the day/night conversion still goes on here in Britain. Cargo operator Channel Express had many airmail contracts, then formed their holiday flight division Jet2 which has been a great success for them. They have several 737QC aircraft which operate out of Edinburgh and Belfast, they do daytime flights to the Mediterranean, then in an hour or two get converted to cargo format and do an Edinburgh to London Stansted and return mail flight, and then get changed back. They don't do the early bird 0600 departures to the Med which get back by midnight, but handle some more relaxed flights during the day, except at weekends when there are no mail flights.

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 2, 2017 at 9:17 am
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

13. What was the longest route flown by Capital Airlines in early 1959?

Per WHBM: What about the corridor that continued with United through the 1960s, in the rear pages of their timetables, from the Great Lakes (Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland) down to Miami. Say from Cleveland. Might have been beyond a Viscount, so with a DC-6B.

Per Seat 2A: Correct! The route map showed BUF-MIA nonstop but the schedules didn't reflect that so CLE-MIA was the longest. However, the DC-6B was not the aircraft of record per the schedules I referenced.

Per jrl767: Capital had Lockheed Constellations and DC-4s at one time or another ... while the Connies were probably still extant, I find it surprising that the Four may have still been plying mainline routes in 1959

Per Seat 2A: The schedules do indicate DC-3 and DC-4 services on a good number of routes, most of them shorter. Interestingly, the DCA-PIT route is served by 1 DC-3, 5 DC-4s, 1 Viscount and 1 Connie.

Here are the Cleveland to Miami southbound schedules:

CA 703 CLE-MIA 1000a - 240p Constellation Luncheon Daily

CA 2609 CLE-MIA 1005a - 210p Viscount Luncheon Sat. Only.

CA 607 CLE-MIA 300p - 655p Viscount Dinner Daily

CA 623 CLE-MIA 1145p - 340a Viscount Snack Daily "The Nighthawk"

CA 2623 CLE-MIA 1215a - 410a Viscount Snack Sat. Only
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
speaking of DC-6s ... a month or so ago I posed some questions about the scale model of the UA DC-6 at Udvar-Hazy ... and after a bit of conversation the thread diverted to other aircraft and destinations, so herewith the answers:

A- the figures of the passengers and flight attendants are at a slightly smaller scale than the 1/20 model, in order to make the cabin look more spacious
B- the lettering on the speed stripe says "Mainliner 300" ... I suspect that may have been a reference to the top cruise speed of the airplane
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS

101. What is the common thread between these four numbers? 11 75 42 17

Canadian customer numbers for Boeing. -75 and -17 correctly identified. Still missing the other two...

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM AN EARLY 1959 OAG

14. In 1959, what was the brand name for United Airlines’ enhanced First Class product as offered on trans-cons and other select markets?
A N S W E R E D

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1991 OAG

16. If you wanted to fly on a jet out of Ponce, Puerto Rico, it used to be you had to call Eastern Airlines. These days another airline is the sole operator of jet flights out of Ponce with nonstop flights to two mainland cities. Identify the airline operating these flights and the two destinations served.
JFK and the 72S and MIA have been identified. We're still looking for the MIA aircraft.
ANSWER: Carnival and a 727-100

18. A dreary New York winter is suddenly made much nicer when you receive a call from friends asking if you’d care to join them on a scuba diving trip in the Cayman Islands. Can you get to Grand Cayman by tomorrow afternoon? If you can get can get a morning flight to Miami, yes. A call to your travel agent reveals a pleasant surprise however – there’s a new nonstop flight out of Kennedy that will get you into GCM at 3:45pm. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon down to Grand Cayman.
A N S W E R E D

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE BASED UPON SCHEDULES IN A 1965 OAG

25. You’re in Boston and you need to fly to the U.K. Oh No! All of the nonstop flights to London are sold out! But wait! From Boston there’s another city in the U.K. that benefits from nonstop flights. Identify that city as well as the airline and aircraft that operate the flight.
A N S W E R E D

27. Aside from nonstop flights to the U.S. and Canada, Madrid, Spain also has nonstop trans-Atlantic flights to five different destinations that are at least 2000 miles away. Identify these five long distance routes flown from Madrid, as well as the airlines and aircraft that fly them. Three of the routes are served by two carriers (Gee, Chumley, I wonder which one one of those airlines is?) while the other two are served by only a single airline.

29. If you wanted to fly direct from Miami to Antofagasta, Chile aboard a jet, which airline would you call? What kind of jet would you be flying upon?
A N S W E R E D

31. The Buenos Aires to Santiago route is served nonstop by eleven airlines, each operating jet equipment. The jets were built by five different manufacturers. Each airline operates only a single jet type on this route. Identify each of the five jets and match it with the airline(s) that operates it.
HINT: One aircraft type is operated by 5 airlines, two aircraft types are operated by two airlines each and the last two types are unique to just one airline each.
A N S W E R E D

34. If in 1965 you wanted to fly aboard a Boeing 720B between London and Beirut – regardless of enroute stops – which airline would you call?
A N S W E R E D

35. If you wanted to fly out of Bangkok aboard a Comet, which airline would you call?
A N S W E R E D

38. Hong Kong is a popular spot amongst airlines that operate Convair jetliners. A check of the schedules reveals five airlines that operate either the 880 or 990 into HKG. Can you identify each of the five airlines?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 31, 2017 at 10:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.