Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I would have called National

Ah, you just reminded me of something, sir..... @:-)

Back in 1965, the Panagra service between the U.S. and South America was most likely part of an interchange service involving two other airlines, being National and Pan American World Airways. On routes from New York, I believe National was responsible for the leg from NYC to Miami. Pan Am would then take over from MIA to Panama City, Panama with Panagra then continuing on from Panama to various destinations in South America.

29. So from Miami to Antofagasta in 1965, perhaps the correct answer is actually Pan Am and Panagra operating an interchange flight with a DC-8.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 3, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: BA
It was a 3-way interchange, so here's the schedule in the National timetable.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...a64/na67-8.jpg

They all did the marketing (hence why I would call national in Miami), but the aircraft were supplied wholly by Panagra. However, the had National crews JFK-MIA, Pan Am crews MIA-PTY, and Panagra crews south of there.

Panagra had no licences north of Panama, but had a maintenance base in Miami and the exec offices were in New York. They were owned 50% by pan Am, but the CAB required them to be rigorously separated in operations. The Panagra aircraft also operated a number of National's domestic JFK-MIA runs, to get them to/from the Miami base.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
102. When people think of Sourdough, SFO comes to mind, but would this be in Ketchikan (sp), Alaska up in your neck of the country?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
It was a 3-way interchange, so here's the schedule in the National timetable.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...a64/na67-8.jpg

They all did the marketing (hence why I would call national in Miami), but the aircraft were supplied wholly by Panagra. However, the had National crews JFK-MIA, Pan Am crews MIA-PTY, and Panagra crews south of there.

Panagra had no licences north of Panama, but had a maintenance base in Miami and the exec offices were in New York. They were owned 50% by pan Am, but the CAB required them to be rigorously separated in operations. The Panagra aircraft also operated a number of National's domestic JFK-MIA runs, to get them to/from the Miami base.
Thanks! And it's also interesting to note this interchange schedule also lists a weekly round trip flight operated with DC-7 (with the solid triangle symbol appearing with flight numbers 700 and 701 being used to identify either a DC-7 or DC-7B as noted elsewhere in this timetable) in an all coach class configuration with a round trip routing of New York JFK - Baltimore - Miami - Panama City/Balboa - Guayaquil - Lima - La Paz - Buenos Aires.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jrl767
I think I'll take a run at this:
  1. Douglas DC-8: Alitalia, Iberia, KLM, Panagra, Braniff
  2. Boeing 707: Air France, Lufthansa
  3. Convair 990: SAS, Swissair
  4. De Haviland Comet: Aerolineas Argentinas
  5. Vickers VC-10: BOAC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
  1. Douglas DC-8: Alitalia, Iberia, KLM, Panagra, Braniff (IB, KL and PG correct) AZ and BN are incorrect
  2. Boeing 707: Air France, Lufthansa (AF and LH are correct)
  3. Convair 990: SAS, Swissair (SR is correct) SK is incorrect
  4. De Haviland Comet: Aerolineas Argentinas (No Comets served this route in 1965)
  5. Vickers VC-10: BOAC (BOAC is incorrect)
A good start, J! You've correctly identified 4 of the aircraft types. Let's see if you can finish up on the additional aircraft type plus those airlines.
working this from the top down:
  • DC8 -- Canadian Pacific, Aeronaves de Mexico
  • 990 -- APSA (Peruvian)
  • AR -- Caravelle
  • VC-10 -- British United
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
35. If you wanted to fly out of Bangkok aboard a Comet, which airline would you call?

I'm going with Malaysian Airlines or Malaysian-Singapore Airlines using Mk4 Comets leased from BOAC.

Right you are, VH-RMD. Was MSA's service anywhere near as highly regarded as that of its offspring Singapore Airlines?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
73. Where would you be if you were enjoying a beer at the Sourdough Bar?

When people think of Sourdough, SFO comes to mind, but would this be in Ketchikan (sp), Alaska up in your neck of the country?

The answer can be found amidst the ages of the July 2017 issue of Airways Magazine. The bar was aboard an aircraft, but not an Alaska Airlines Convair 880.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry gang - internet access issues (S L O W) Back later today...
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Was MSA's service anywhere near as highly regarded as that of its offspring Singapore Airlines?
I am probably one of the very few here who have flown on MSA back in the day when its 707s would fly SIN (Paya Lebar) - KUL (Subang now SZB) - perhaps either BKK (DMK now), somewhere in India, BAH (mandatory refuel/crew stop - QF did the same), southern Europe (ATH or FCO), northern Europe (FRA or AMS) before getting to LHR. Didn't know that MSA actually existed for such a short period ('66-'72 and don't remember if I ever flew on Malayan/Malaysian Airways, or on any Comets. One thing that was offered back then was complimentary 5 or 10-packs of cigarettes and perhaps liquor in mini bottles (I was much too young to partake) in economy. FC had a lounge just behind 1L though the crew usually used that as work station. Economy service was of course higher back then than now/recent.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
34. If in 1965 you wanted to fly aboard a Boeing 720B between London and Beirut – regardless of enroute stops – which airline would you call?

I'm thinking this may have been PIA: Pakistan International Airlines (PK).

If so, depending on the day of the week, intermediate stops were made at different locations in Europe en route.

I like your thinking, JL. PIA it is! ^
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
31. The Buenos Aires to Santiago route is served nonstop by eleven airlines, each operating jet equipment. The jets were built by five different manufacturers. Each airline operates only a single jet type on this route. Identify each of the five jets and match it with the airline(s) that operates it.
HINT: One aircraft type is operated by 5 airlines, two aircraft types are operated by two airlines each and the last two types are unique to just one airline each.

I think I'll take a run at this:
  1. Douglas DC-8: Alitalia, Iberia, KLM, Panagra, Braniff, Canadian Pacific, Aeronaves de Mexico(IB, KL, CP and PG correct) AZ, AM and BN are incorrect
  2. Boeing 707: Air France, Lufthansa (AF and LH are correct)
  3. Convair 990: SAS, APSA, Swissair (SR and EP are correct) SK is incorrect
  4. De Haviland Comet: Aerolineas Argentinas (No Comets served this route in 1965)
  5. Vickers VC-10: BOAC, British United (BOAC and BUA are incorrect)
  6. Caravelle: Aerolineas Argentinas (AR is incorrect)
working this from the top down:
  • DC8 -- Canadian Pacific, Aeronaves de Mexico (CP is correct) AM is incorrect
  • 990 -- APSA (Peruvian) (APSA is correct)
  • AR -- Caravelle (Caravelle is correct) AR is incorrect
  • VC-10 -- British United BUA is incorrect (But close!)

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 6, 2017 at 10:12 am
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:42 pm

I typed about 8 paragraphs; answers, comments, bonus q's, you name it. Hit send, got an error message, all lost.

Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
there's a nice little button at the bottom of the Reply window that pops up after a minute or so ...
"Restore Auto-Saved Content" ... sometimes it even recaptures stuff from a couple replies ago
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:48 pm

there's a nice little button
Does not appear to make it across the Atlantic. Browser-dependent ? I'm IE.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use Firefox and Chrome, can't explain why it doesn't appear in IE
(it seems that I have to hit the "Post Reply" button or be replying to a post, rather than just typing away in the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page, for that feature to appear however ...)
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.