Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
74. A client in Minot, ND has requested a meeting to discuss the purchase of 8 new combines for his farm. You’ve just completed a sale in Kansas City and are surprised to find that there is a direct four stop flight leaving MKC that evening at 7:00pm, arriving Minot at 10:45pm. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the four intermediate stops in order.

I am >99% certain that the aircraft was a Convair 580, because both Frontier and North Central operated the type into MOT. I think FL is the more likely suspect here, routing via Lincoln (LNK), Omaha (OMA), Rapid City (RAP), and Bismarck (BIS)

This sounds good to me, too. But what do I know?! Alas, the answer involves neither Frontier or the Convair 580. However, Bismarck is oe of the enroute stops. Please - guess again!

60. Northeast Airlines launched the 727-200 into service in late 1967. By mid-1968 only a single 727-200 was scheduled to fly into and out of Denver, Colorado. The flight originated east of Denver, and continued on to a destination west of Denver. Identify the airline and the route flown.

Gotta think this was Frontier, as they took a couple of the earliest -200s before the Big Three (AA, TW, UA) got their much larger fleets on line ... the route was probably STL-DEN-SLC

A fine effort, J, however - per the schedule I reference, Frontier was still flying only 727-100s at the time. We're looking for a different airline...
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
52. After a marvelous weekend spent camping in the Pend Orielle north of Spokane, we return to Geiger Field to board the only one-stop service between Spokane and Seattle. What airline and aircraft type will we be flying on and what is the location of the intermediate stop?

Sounds like the tail end of a milk run... I'll guess Northwest operating an Electra with a stop in Yakima (YKM).

I reckon just about everything running west through Spokane was at the tail end of a milk run - especially on Northwest - and this flight was no different, having originated earlier in the day from Minneapolis. Yakima is correct as the enroute stop, but we're looking for a different aircraft type...
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
82. Papa Doc Duvalier – the President of Haiti – has requested the pleasure of your company at a reception honoring his young son Jean Claude “Baby Doc” Duvalier who’s recently been accepted to study at Haiti's prestigious Institution Saint-Louis de Gonzague. A quick check of the schedules reveals a single nonstop flight departing New York JFK for Port Au Prince, Haiti departing every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Identify the airline and aircraft.

I'll respectfully decline the invitation but take advantage of the routing via PAP to continue on a Trans Caribbean (TC) DC8 to either Curacao or Aruba where I feel much more comfortable.

Had this flight continued on to Curacao or Aruba, Papa Doc might have had the Tonton Macoute board the plane at PAP and detain you so that you might better explain why you would decline his gracious invitation . Fortunately for you, in late 1969 all of Trans Caribbean's flights to Curacao or Aruba routed through San Juan or operated nonstop from New York.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The remaining questions...

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1955

27. (1955) (The WHBM Special)If you were to book a flight aboard “The Green Hell Special”, which airline would you be flying, what aircraft would you be flying upon and where on earth would you be flying from and to?
HINT We're looking waay south of the border here...
HINT: The airline has been established as Brazil's REAL...

But why a "WHBM Special"?

I felt this question was sufficiently esoteric that amongst all of our esteemed participants, WHBM would have the best chance of providing the correct answer. It would appear that I was correct as he got off to an excellent start. And so, to his response...

"Green Hell" is a derogatory name that used to be applied to the South American interior, which fits the "south of the border" hint. No airline would likely have used it, so it must have been an unofficial soubriquet. And if it's Waay south it sounds well south

Here's a bit more information that may help...
  • The term “The Green Hell Special” was used in a South American airline's ad seen in the 1955 OAG I referenced.
  • The aircraft utilized was American.
  • The departure point was a major South American city. One stop was made enroute to a destination that currently has a population of over 2 million.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1962

45. This airline’s advertisements claimed that it was the world’s first to operate an all jet fleet. Identify the airline and the two jet types that comprised its fleet.

47. This was the only country that had two of its airlines providing scheduled service to U.S. gateway cities with de Havilland Comet jetliners. Identify the country and the two airlines.

48. Three airlines offered nonstop flights between Amsterdam and New York. Each airline did so utilizing a different aircraft type. Identify each airline and the aircraft it utilized on this route

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1965

We’re back to tour mode, so grab your bags and let’s head on out to Salt Lake City International Airport.

52. After a marvelous weekend spent camping in the Pend Orielle north of Spokane, we return to Geiger Field to board the only one-stop service between Spokane and Seattle. What airline and aircraft type will we be flying on and what is the location of the intermediate stop?
A N S W E R E D

53. The SEA-PDX route is served by four airlines. Between them they operate seven different aircraft types on this route – however only one type offered between SEA and PDX is common to each of the four carriers. Please identify each of the four airlines that fly SEA-PDX and the single type of equipment common to each one on this route.

56. We’re going to Vegas, Baby! Four airlines offer nonstop service on the SFO-LAS route. Amongst the total of six nonstop flights offered are aircraft built by four different American manufacturers. Of the four airlines, two operate the same aircraft type from one manufacturer; another operates flights with two aircraft from two more different manufacturers, while the fourth airline operates a single flight with an aircraft from a fourth manufacturer, Identify each airline and match it up with the aircraft it flies on this route.

Only four U.S. airlines that fly to Los Angeles also fly to Canada. Each of the four airlines serves a single Canadian city and each of those is a different city. None of these airlines offer nonstop flights between LA and Canada and only one of these airlines offers a direct flight from LA to the Canadian city it serves, doing so with a daily two-stop flight.

58A. Identify the four U.S. airlines that serve both LA and Canada along with the single Canadian city that each serves.
Three out of four (AA, WA, UA) are correct so far...
C'mon jrl767! Finish this one off!

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1968

60. Northeast Airlines launched the 727-200 into service in late 1967. By mid-1968 only a single 727-200 was scheduled to fly into and out of Denver, Colorado. The flight originated east of Denver, and continued on to a destination west of Denver. Identify the airline and the route flown.

70. After a week of visiting in-laws in Omaha, Nebraska, it’s finally time to return home to Dallas, Texas. There are no nonstop flights between OMA and DAL but you’ve found a nicely timed 4:30pm departure that will make two stops enroute, arriving in Dallas at 7:15pm. Your wife is none too pleased at the prospect of spending most of the afternoon aloft when you could have booked an earlier one-stop departure that would have gotten to Dallas in considerably less time. She’s all smiles though when you reveal that you’ve shelled out an extra $10.00 each to upgrade you both to First Class all the way. A hearty snack and free booze will be served enroute. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.

72. If you want to fly First Class between Denver, Colorado and Des Moines, Iowa, there’s only one flight per day that fits the bill. It makes one enroute stop and breakfast will be served in First Class while economy will have to make do with a snack. Identify the airline, the routing and the equipment

74. A client in Minot, ND has requested a meeting to discuss the purchase of 8 new combines for his farm. You’ve just completed a sale in Kansas City and are surprised to find that there is a direct four stop flight leaving MKC that evening at 7:00pm, arriving Minot at 10:45pm. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the four intermediate stops in order.
HINT: We know it's North Central and three of the stops are SUX, FSD and BIS

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1969

77. If you were sipping a tropical cocktail aboard this airline’s International Flamingo Jet Service, where would you be flying and what type of aircraft would you be flying upon? While you're at it, you might as well identify what airline you'd be flying upon.

79. This airline claimed to be the “Pride of Scandinavia

80. If you wanted to enjoy “Royal Rose Fan-Jet Service”, what airline would you call and upon what type of aircraft would you be flying?

83. A winter storm is bearing down on the Colorado Rockies and, with memories of last year’s blizzard still fresh in your mind, you decide to relocate to somewhere warmer before the storm hits. You recently saw a television ad for an airline serving Denver that claimed its distinctly named inflight service provided a “Preview of Paradise” aboard every flight. Identify the airline, the name of the service and the destination of the flights offering this service.
A N S W E R E D

84. In 1969, four airlines operated nonstop flights between Miami and Port Au Prince. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 7, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

HINT: Yakima identified as the intermediate stop.
Still Northwest but this time with a Douglas DC-6B.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:57 pm

83. Oops, I mis read the question. Western's brand was "The Islander", along with other brands like "Fiesta Flights" to Mexico.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:12 pm

My guess for #74 would be a DC-9 with Herman the Mallard on the tail, routed MKC-FSD-MSP-FAR-BIS-MOT.

While I was in New Orleans for Airliners International, a group of friends and I did a grim historic walk through the neighborhood east of the airport where the Pan Am 727 crashed in 1982. We used our smart phones to pull up a newspaper article that showed the houses damaged or destroyed by the crash, and aerial photos of the neighborhood taken a few days after the crash. There are two empty lots in the neighborhood, where people whose houses were destroyed chose not to rebuild, but otherwise all signs of the crash are gone. We also visited the crash memorial, which is behind a church south of the airport.

The people in the neighborhood did not question why we were there - I'm sure they saw a group of people walking around with their smartphones, and assumed we were playing "Pokemon Go".
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HINT
: Yakima identified as the intermediate stop.

Still Northwest but this time with a Douglas DC-6B.

Northwest it is, but the DC-6B it's not. Please - try again!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
83. A winter storm is bearing down on the Colorado Rockies and, with memories of last year’s blizzard still fresh in your mind, you decide to relocate to somewhere warmer before the storm hits. You recently saw a television ad for an airline serving Denver that claimed its distinctly named inflight service provided a “Preview of Paradise” aboard every flight. Identify the airline, the name of the service and the destination of the flights offering this service.
HINT
: Western Airlines has been identified

Oops, I misread the question. Western's brand was "The Islander", along with other brands like "Fiesta Flights" to Mexico.

Right on, Joe! Western's Islander service provided a “Preview of Paradise” to our 50th state.

My guess for #74 would be a DC-9 with Herman the Mallard on the tail, routed MKC-FSD-MSP-FAR-BIS-MOT.

Well if it ain't Frontier, it must be... Herman and the DC-9-30 are correct! As to the enroute stops, you've hit two of the correct cities (FSD & BIS). I'll leave it to you to find the other two cities and place all four of them in the correct order.

Additionally, I recently spoke with our mutual friend in the T-Shirt business. He said you two met up at the big show and that more than a few AI attendees were aware of this little quiz of ours. ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 7, 2016 at 12:34 am
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

HINT: Northwest is the airline and Yakima has been identified as the intermediate stop. Not an LEC or DC6 flight though.
52. Interesting.....and I was under the impression that NW never operated jet equipment into little ol' Yakima. But perhaps they briefly did and the aircraft was a Boeing 727-100. If so, I think this would have been the only mainline jet service YKM ever had.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: BA
If so, I think this would have been the only mainline jet service YKM ever had.
Didn't Hughes Air West run DC9-30s through there for years, getting as far away as LAX after a couple of local stops ?

Having been to an oh-so-sleepy Yakima on a hot August Sunday afternoon some years ago, activity = zero, I can agree that it might sound unlikely.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HINT
: Northwest is the airline and Yakima has been identified as the intermediate stop. Not an LEC or DC6 flight though.

jlemon: Interesting.....and I was under the impression that NW never operated jet equipment into little ol' Yakima. But perhaps they briefly did and the aircraft was a Boeing 727-100. If so, I think this would have been the only mainline jet service YKM ever had.

WHBM: Didn't Hughes Air West run DC9-30s through there for years, getting as far away as LAX after a couple of local stops ?

Remember, JL, it's 1965. Just to be sure, I am presently looking at the schedule from which I referenced this question and it shows neither a LEC, DC6 or 727 flying into Yakima. We're looking for a slightly different aircraft...

In my 1968 schedule - which I also have handy at present, Yakima benefits from no less than five DC-9-14 flights from such far flung outposts as Portland, Pasco and Seattle. The operator was of course West Coast Airlines.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 7, 2016 at 11:13 am
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Didn't Hughes Air West run DC9-30s through there for years, getting as far away as LAX after a couple of local stops ?

Having been to an oh-so-sleepy Yakima on a hot August Sunday afternoon some years ago, activity = zero, I can agree that it might sound unlikely.
Well, prior to airline deregulation, I never thought of Hughes Airwest as being a mainline (or trunk) air carrier. Like West Coast, I considered RW to be a "local service airline" which I believe is how the CAB referred to them.

However, by the time RW was acquired by Republic in 1980, perhaps they had grown to the point where they had attained the status of a major, what with an all-jet DC9, D9S and 72S fleet....even though their service did not get any further east than Milwaukee and Houston Hobby.

Back to Yakima and quiz item #52: You've got me stumped here, Seat 2A! I highly doubt the aircraft was a Boeing 720B so perhaps it was a Douglas DC-7.

And now to the yard work before the afternoon thunderstorm activity increases......

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 7, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, prior to airline deregulation, I never thought of Hughes Airwest as being a mainline (or trunk) air carrier. Like West Coast, I considered RW to be a "local service airline" which is I believe how the CAB referred to them.

However, by the time RW was acquired by Republic in 1980, perhaps they had grown to the point where they had attained the status of a major, what with an all-jet DC9, D9S and 72S fleet....even though their service did not get any further east than Milwaukee and Houston Hobby.

I think we all agree. I reckon we're just acknowledging some other jet service into Yakima - a smaller community that one wouldn't expect to get much jet service. As it turns out - for a while at least - Yakima was well served by jets.

Back to Yakima and quiz item #52: You've got me stumped here, Seat 2A! I highly doubt the aircraft was a Boeing 720B so perhaps it was a Douglas DC-7.

Bingo! The schedule lists the equipment as a D7C. The overall flight routing was MSP-BIL-GTF-MSO-GEG-YKM-SEA
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HINT: We know it's North Central and two of the stops are FSD and BIS
74. Let's see if I can tip this one in.....

NC operating a D9S with a routing of Kansas City-Omaha-Sioux City-Sioux Falls-Bismarck-Minot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.