Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
welcome back to connectivity, Seat 2A!

let's keep trying to fill in the blanks here:

ATL-MEM---DFW = EA/BN interchange, 72S
DFW-OKC-DEN = BN/CO interchange, 727
SEA-PDX = NW 747
PDX-SEA-HNL = CO D10
SFO-ABQ = CO 72S
ABQ-DEN = CO 72S
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Hey-hey Seat 2A!

Please see post #9987!
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
7. You live on da south side a Chicago and want to fly out to a bowling tournament in New Jersey. You abhor the long drive through traffic to get out to O’Hare, and especially dislike the cost of parking there – which is exorbitant even by 1974 standards. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a two-stop flight from nearby Midway Airport direct to Newark. Identify the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft operating this route.

Well, I think Piedmont served Midway at one point before moving their flights to ORD. If so, perhaps this was PI flying Chicago (MDW) - Roanoke (ROA) - Charlottesville (CHO) - Newark (EWR) with a B737-200.

Thanks for the reminder, Mr. L! And a good thing it was, too, because Piedmont with a 737-200 is correct! However, your routing is a bit off... Care to revise it a bit?

Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
welcome back to connectivity, Seat 2A!

let's keep trying to fill in the blanks here:

ATL-MEM---DFW = EA/BN interchange, 72S

The ATL-MEM section was indeed part of the EA/BN interchange. Now then, which airline and aircraft? (It wasn't a 72S)

One of these segments was part of an interchange, but it wasn't BN/CO. You are correct on your three number aircraft designation though - for both segments. Now then, what color was the Braniff aircraft?

SEA-PDX = NW 747 Correct!

PDX-SEA-HNL = CO D10

Continental is correct and the DC-10 was involved on one of the segments. Essentially, we had a through flight from Portland with a change of gauge. So then - what was the other aircraft?

SFO-ABQ = CO 72S Correct!

ABQ-DEN = CO 72S

Correct airline - wrong aircraft.

You're doing great so far, J! Power it on through! ^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 11, 2016 at 1:21 pm
Old Sep 11, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS 1974
All questions referenced from a North American OAG

7. You live on da south side a Chicago and want to fly out to a bowling tournament in New Jersey. You abhor the long drive through traffic to get out to O’Hare, and especially dislike the cost of parking there – which is exorbitant even by 1974 standards. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a two-stop flight from nearby Midway Airport direct to Newark. Identify the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft operating this route.
7. Routing revision: Piedmont operating a B737-200 Chicago (MDW) - Roanoke (ROA) - Norfolk (ORF) - Newark (EWR).
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Routing revision: Piedmont operating a B737-200 Chicago (MDW) - Roanoke (ROA) - Norfolk (ORF) - Newark (EWR).

You are ever so close. Roanoke is one of the cities served along the way, but it's the final stop before EWR. We're still looking for the first stop out of MDW. Perhaps the 3RD time will be the charm.

BTW, apologies for the delay (this is getting to be an unfortunate habit of late) but a broke down bus meant spending a night on a bunk room floor out at mile 53 where no internet is available. Now it's raining steadily with snow forecast for the higher elevations later this evening and into tomorrow. Pray my mid-morning Eielson departure gets to stage at Teklanika or Toklat...

Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS 1974

One more time....

7. Piedmont operating a B737-200 "FanJet Pacemaker" on a routing of Chicago (MDW) - Huntington, WV (HTS) - Roanoke (ROA) - Newark (EWR).

And no snow here in Houston; just the usual tropical thunderstorms. I head home this Thursday afternoon for more home repairs.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
7- I will "TRI" this for the first stop on the MDW-EWR journey aboard a PI 737-201
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jlemon: One more time.... Piedmont operating a B737-200 "FanJet Pacemaker" on a routing of Chicago (MDW) - Huntington, WV (HTS) - Roanoke (ROA) - Newark (EWR).

Nice, but no cigar...

Per jrl767: I will "TRI" this for the first stop on the MDW-EWR journey aboard a PI 737-201

Yes! Yes! Yes!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ATL-MEM section was indeed part of the EA/BN interchange. Now then, which airline and aircraft? (It wasn't a 72S)
MEM--->DFW has already been identified as a BN 72S, so deductive reasoning would seem to say this was EA ... and it would have been a 727

One of these segments was part of an interchange, but it wasn't BN/CO.
hmmmmmm ... gotta think the only other OKC-DEN operators were FL and UA; I'm flipping a mental coin and finding UA

PDX-SEA-HNL = CO D10
Continental is correct and the DC-10 was involved on one of the segments. Essentially, we had a through flight from Portland with a change of gauge. So then - what was the other aircraft?
how about a 72S connecting to the D10

ABQ-DEN = CO 72S
Correct airline - wrong aircraft.
part of me wants to say 720B, but I'm pretty sure they were gone from the CO fleet by 1976; another part just remembered the "too early" response to my initial guess (D9S), which leads me to think DC9-10, but that screws up the model number count ... so final guess is a standard 727 (-024)
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

MEM--->DFW has already been identified as a BN 72S, so deductive reasoning would seem to say this was EA ... and it would have been a 727

Correct! I flew this EA segment aboard a red/mustard BN 727-27

One of these segments was part of an interchange, but it wasn't BN/CO.

Hmmmmmm ... gotta think the only other OKC-DEN operators were FL and UA; I'm flipping a mental coin and finding UA

Remember, this EWR-DEN trip was part of a 3 airline joint fare. The airlines involved were PI ATL EA MEM BN DEN. Two interchange flights were involved - both of them nonstop. One of them has been identified (ATL-MEM)

PDX-SEA-HNL = CO D10 --> Continental is correct and the DC-10 was involved on one of the segments. Essentially, we had a through flight from Portland with a change of gauge. So then - what was the other aircraft?

How about a 72S connecting to the D10

How 'bout it? Correct!ABQ-DEN = CO 72S --> Correct airline - wrong aircraft.

Part of me wants to say 720B, but I'm pretty sure they were gone from the CO fleet by 1976; another part just remembered the "too early" response to my initial guess (D9S), which leads me to think DC9-10, but that screws up the model number count ... so final guess is a standard 727 (-024)

Good call, J! ^
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and having gone past the 10,000-posts threshold, this thread now qualifies for "Evangelist" status
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

10000+ Post Fireworks Celebration

Congratulations to one and all for your part in the success of this thread! Special thanks to jlemon for his continual good cheer and the many fine questions he has submitted since this thread's inception. Here's to the next 10000 posts!!

Here's to 10000 more posts!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 16, 2016 at 12:45 pm
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And we are now north of 600,000 views as well here on the good ol' OTAQ&D......Wow. Plus, we are not that far away from the fifth anniversary of Seat 2A's little airline quiz.

As most of you know, I am continuing to deal with the aftermath of a damaged home following the epic floods here in south Louisiana (a once every 300 year event according to the National Weather Service) just over a month ago. This recovery effort has definitely impacted my ability to pose a comprehensive list of new quiz items. I was compiling a new set of questions prior to the flood.....but I am not quite sure just what box that list is in upstairs at our home. As you can well imagine, our upstairs is stacked high with our possessions as we have had to clear everything out of the ground floor. Bottom line is it appears it will be several more months at least before we can move back in and I can then once again submit quiz items.

However, I will try to submit the odd question or two in the interim.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here's a quick one....

In early 1967, Air California was operating five daily departures from the Orange County Airport (SNA). Where did these flights go and what type of aircraft operated them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.