Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good morning! It's cloudy and cool here in Alaska but per my tastes at least, that's a nice day this time of year. The multi-hued yellows and oranges of the aspen and birch leaves look that much more brilliant against a grey sky. As an added bonus, there's even a chance of snow this morning.

I just got back from helping close out our operations on the far end of the park. It was an impromptu assignment, volunteered for by yours truly, and of course internet connectivity out there is but a distant concept. Still, our season is now officially over and so it's on to the off-season.

So now here I am back in the online world if only to inform you all that circumstances have conspired to severely limit my participation in the OTAQ&D in the next two months. To wit. later this afternoon I am flying off to Florida for a quick visit with friends in the Everglades. I'll be home by next weekend, have about five days to get this place closed up for the next couple of months, and then it's off to Colorado for cervical reconstruction and fusion surgery. Oh Boy!

Truth be known, I am actually looking forward to it - or at least to its long term benefits should all go well - but the rehab period will be long with restrictions on things like excessive sitting and looking down at laptop screens. As such it'll likely be early December before I'll be able to participate more fully here or anywhere else on the internet.

In the meantime, my absence in combination with jlemon's planned autumn travels opens a huge set of double doors for any of you to have a go at coming up with your own set of questions for us all. I hope one or more of you will take advantage of this and I'll look forward to checking back with you all in mid-October for an update - even if I have to provide it via dictation.

As to the question related to my 1976 travels, HERE is the story of that trip in trip report form. It comes in two parts, so here is PART 2. Enjoy!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 19, 2016 at 1:04 pm
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
In early 1967, Air California was operating five daily departures from the Orange County Airport (SNA). Where did these flights go and what type of aircraft operated them?

Well I'll have a go at this while sitting here in the United Club at FLL...

I am torn between the Electra and the little DC-9-10s, both of which looked quite fetching in Air California's sunburst livery. I'm going to go with the Electra only because it's older and more affordable for a young start-up airline.

As to destinations, let's go with San Jose, Oakland, Ontario, Sacramento annnnnnnnd... Fresno.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

In early 1967, Air California was operating five daily departures from the Orange County Airport (SNA). Where did these flights go and what type of aircraft operated them? ANSWERED
Seat 2A has correctly guessed the Lockheed L-188 Electra. Air California commenced service on January 16, 1967 with a pair of these iconic turboprops.

However, in very early 1967, the then intrastate air carrier was not yet serving SJC, OAK, ONT, SMF or FAT. So please guess again!

And here's a couple of follow up quiz items.....

1. Air California removed the Electra aircraft from its fleet only to reintroduce the type some years later. Why did they do this? ANSWERED

2. Air California then changed its name to AirCal during the early 1980s. And today, nearly 50 years after the airline initially began operating from its base in Orange County, the AirCal name lives on. Explain how. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 21, 2016 at 12:29 pm
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
In early 1967, Air California was operating five daily departures from the Orange County Airport (SNA). Where did these flights go and what type of aircraft operated them?
Seat 2A has correctly guessed the Lockheed L-188 Electra ... however ... not yet serving SJC, OAK, ONT, SMF or FAT.
well ... maybe SFO, SAN, LAX, PSP, and MRY

Follow-up Q 1- I'd guess this was in the mid-1970s when OC began (or perhaps restarted?) service to Lake Tahoe (TVL) -- which, as we have discussed on numerous occasions, allowed jet operations for awhile, and then banned them in response to community complaints about noise

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 21, 2016 at 10:33 am
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
And here's a quick one....

As this question does not state to a number of different cities, I will go with all 5 departures were to SFO. They added service to SJC and OAK in 1968.

My uncle used them a lot as he was in real estate and had many commercial properties throughout the state. He was hit pretty hard during the multiple downturns in the economy, but still survives today albeit in a less commercial footprint than back in the 70's-90's.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

2. Air California then changed its name to AirCal during the early 1980s. And today, nearly 50 years after the airline initially began operating from its base in Orange County, the AirCal name lives on. Explain how.
American Airlines has a B737-800 painted in an AirCal livery. Along with this, they had amenity kits made for premium International travelers in these legacy airlines themes. The kits were only available for a limited time.

In November 2015, as a tribute to former airlines acquired along the way, a B737-800 with the tail number N917NN was painted in the AirCal livery.

Here is a link to a photo taken by JRC at Bourneavia Photography and is copyrighted. It is posted on planespotters.net.

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/...0c250dbd3&sc=2
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
well ... maybe SFO, SAN, LAX, PSP, and MRY

Follow-up Q 1- I'd guess this was in the mid-1970s when OC began (or perhaps restarted?) service to Lake Tahoe (TVL) -- which, as we have discussed on numerous occasions, allowed jet operations for awhile, and then banned them in response to community complaints about noise
Well, you've got one of the destinations correct.....

And you are correct with regard to Lake Tahoe (TVL). Air California initially served TVL with the Electra due to the scheduled airline jet ban following cessation of Pacific Air Lines B727-100 service at this airport in the Sierra Nevada mountains. PSA operated Electra service into Lake Tahoe as well as did Holiday Airlines. Air California and PSA then ceased serving TVL (their Electras were getting a bit old by this time). After the jet ban was rescinded, AirCal returned to TVL some years later with MD-80 service followed by B737-300 flights.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 21, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
As this question does not state to a number of different cities, I will go with all 5 departures were to SFO. They added service to SJC and OAK in 1968.
Correct. Air California's initial route operated as intrastate service was SNA-SFO operated with a pair of Electras. I believe this was the first scheduled nonstop service between Orange County and San Francisco. The only other airline serving SNA at this time that was not a commuter air carrier was Bonanza Air Lines flying Douglas DC-9-10s and Fairchild F-27s. It appears Cable Commuter Airlines and Golden West operating Twin Otters followed later. Bonanza primarily flew the DC-9 nonstop to Las Vegas and Phoenix (which was the only jet service at SNA at the time) while Cable and Golden West flew shuttle service primarily to LAX.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 21, 2016 at 2:37 pm Reason: additional info & correction
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
American Airlines has a B737-800 painted in an AirCal livery. Along with this, they had amenity kits made for premium International travelers in these legacy airlines themes. The kits were only available for a limited time.

In November 2015, as a tribute to former airlines acquired along the way, a B737-800 with the tail number N917NN was painted in the AirCal livery.

Here is a link to a photo taken by JRC at Bourneavia Photography and is copyrighted. It is posted on planespotters.net.

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/...0c250dbd3&sc=2
Correct. I saw this aircraft not too long ago at DFW. And thanks for the photo link. ^
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
a college classmate was on that jet a couple months ago ... he sent me a photo of it and asked if I had ever flown Air Cal

so I of course gave him the info from my log (1984, 737, SEA-SIC-ONT; 1977, Electra, TVL-SNA) ... to which he replied "Electra?! ok, you win"
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My first airline flight ever was on board an Electra. Air carrier was PSA and the routing was LAX to SFO. That was about 53 years ago before Pacific Southwest started operating jets......

The last time I saw an Electra being operated in scheduled service was at Anchorage. Airline was Reeve Aleutian and the aircraft was a combi preparing to depart ANC down the island chain. That was back in the late 1990's.

However, my very first First is coming up in just over a month from now.....

And it will also be my first time ever flying with British Airways. I'll be on board a venerable B747-400 in seat 2A from DFW to LHR.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The last time I saw an Electra being operated in scheduled service was at Anchorage. Airline was Reeve Aleutian and the aircraft was a combi preparing to depart ANC down the island chain. That was back in the late 1990's.

My last flight aboard an Electra was in 1994, aboard Reeve Aleutian's N1968R, an ex-Air New Zealand bird that flew us ANC-SNP-DUT-ANC. The flight attendant just happened to be the daughter of our then postmaster in tiny Ester, Alaska.

However, my very first First is coming up in just over a month from now..... And it will also be my first time ever flying with British Airways. I'll be on board a venerable B747-400 in seat 2A from DFW to LHR.

An excellent choice of seats there, jlemon! Gotta get those 747-400s while they last. Have a great flight!
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And Lady K will be right behind me in seat 3A. I plan on joining her for dinner at her seat. We are very much looking forward to this round trip in F on BA with the return on an A380 from LHR to IAD. Look out London town (followed by a visit to Provence) - here we come!
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Gotta get those 747-400s while they last.
indeed!

✈️ one week ago I was in 73K on Delta (DTW-SEA); one week from now my wife and I will be in 1J and 1K on KLM (LAX-AMS) ✈️
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A survey question for all us obsessive record-keepers

since our eminent Quiz gurus will be on hiatus for awhile, I thought this might be an opportunity to explore a different aspect of our travel experiences

this evening (Thurs 22 Sep) I was aboard N263AK, an Alaska Airlines 737-900 making just its sixth revenue flight following delivery on 12 Sep ... which prompted me to wonder if any of our other participants can cite a newer airliner that you've been on as a passenger

prior to today, I'd have pointed to my ORD-DEN flight on United's first 777 (N777UA) a week after it entered service in June 1995

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.