Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
7. You live on da south side a Chicago and want to fly out to a bowling tournament in New Jersey. You abhor the long drive through traffic to get out to O’Hare, and especially dislike the cost of parking there – which is exorbitant even by 1974 standards. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a two-stop flight from nearby Midway Airport direct to Newark. Identify the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft operating this route.
how about a TWA DC-9-10 operating via Dayton (DAY) and Pittsburgh (PIT)
Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
please clarify: I don't see any requirement to associate any aircraft type(s) with any particular airline, or any particular airline with any particular segment(s)

more importantly: PLEASE tell us whether we can cut this elephant into small manageable bites in order to eat it (in other words, if you'll waive the usual requirement that the answer has to contain all 10 airlines and 9 aircraft types)
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
7. You live on da south side a Chicago and want to fly out to a bowling tournament in New Jersey. You abhor the long drive through traffic to get out to O’Hare, and especially dislike the cost of parking there – which is exorbitant even by 1974 standards. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover a two-stop flight from nearby Midway Airport direct to Newark. Identify the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft operating this route.

How about a TWA DC-9-10 operating via Dayton (DAY) and Pittsburgh (PIT)?

Alas, it was not TWA, J. Please - guess again!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Bonus Question: Back in the summer of 1976, I took a wonderful 11000 mile trip flying the following routing:

EWR-ORF-ILM-ATL-MEM-LIT-FSM-TUL-OKC-DFW-OKC-DEN-CYS-CPR-SHR-BIL-HLN-BTM-MSO-GEG-SEA-PDX-SEA-HNL-LIH-HNL-MKK-LNY-OGG-MUE///ITO-KOA-OGG-HNL-LAX-SFO-ABQ-DEN-PUB-ALS-DRO

Ten different airlines and nine different aircraft types/models were flown upon. Here's the challenge - using your knowledge of airline routings and aircraft flown during the 1970s, can you identify which airlines and aircraft types I flew over this entire trip?

Here are some hints:
  • Some of these flights are milk runs
  • Two of the flights involve airline interchanges
  • "///" means I traveled surface between MUE and ITO
  • For the purposes of this question, I consider a 727-100 a different aircraft than a 727-200. I do not consider a 747-100 a different aircraft than a 747-200.

Per jrl767: Please clarify: I don't see any requirement to associate any aircraft type(s) with any particular airline, or any particular airline with any particular segment(s)

I do. Allow me to restate the above: Using your knowledge of airline routings and aircraft flown during the 1970s, can you identify which airlines and aircraft types I flew over this entire trip?

Per jrl767: More importantly: PLEASE tell us whether we can cut this elephant into small manageable bites in order to eat it (in other words, if you'll waive the usual requirement that the answer has to contain all 10 airlines and 9 aircraft types)

If you have an understanding of airline routings of the day, you should be able to see the break points - or at least make an educated guess. You do not need to submit all 10 airlines and 9 aircraft types as your answer. This one's large enough that you can go section by section if you like.

Then again, why not challenge yourself? Go for all ten! You can do it, J!

I'll provide hints along the way as needed (The Hawaii sections could prove overly challenging...)

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 5, 2016 at 11:39 am
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
How about Allegheny Airlines in a DC9-31/32 with stops in CLE and PIT (taking a hint from an earlier comment)
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA
EWR-ORF-ILM-ATL-MEM-LIT-FSM-TUL-OKC-DFW-OKC-DEN-CYS-CPR-SHR-BIL-HLN-BTM-MSO-GEG-SEA-PDX-SEA-HNL-LIH-HNL-MKK-LNY-OGG-MUE///ITO-KOA-OGG-HNL-LAX-SFO-ABQ-DEN-PUB-ALS-DRO
Ten different airlines and nine different aircraft types/models were flown upon. Here's the challenge - using your knowledge of airline routings and aircraft flown during the 1970s, can you identify which airlines and aircraft types I flew over this entire trip?
I'll go for it. This is entirely without references and written on a train between London Waterloo and Guildford. Even the airport codes are best guesses.

Newark-Norfolk. National 727.
Norfolk-Wilmington-Atlanta. Piedmont YS11.
Atlanta-Memphis. Delta DC9.
Memphis-Little Rock-Ft Smith-Tulsa-Oklahoma-Dallas. Braniff One-Eleven.
Dallas-Oklahoma-Denver. Braniff 727.
Denver-Cheyenne-Casper-Sheridan-Billings. Western 737.
Billings-Helena-Butte-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle. Northwest 727.
Seattle-Portland-Seattle. United 727.
Seattle-Honolulu. Northwest 747.
Honolulu-Lihue-Honolulu-Molokai-Lanai-Kahului-Kamuela-Hilo-Kona-Kahului-Honolulu. Hawaiian DC9/Aloha 737 in various combinations.
Honolulu-Los Angeles. United 747.
Los Angeles-San Francisco. United 727 (I would go for a PSA 727 but I bet tickets weren't interchangeable onto Intrastate flights).
San Francisco-Albuquerque. TWA 727.
Albuquerque-Denver. Frontier 737.
Denver-Pueblo-Alamosa-Durango. Frontier Cv580.

10 minutes There's an A380 (I think Emirates) running parallel to us on Heathrow approach.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seeing as I agree with WHBM on several guesses, herewith my differences (in blue):
Newark-Norfolk. Piedmont 737
Atlanta-Memphis-Little Rock-Ft Smith-Tulsa-Oklahoma City Eastern/Braniff interchange, 727
Oklahoma City-Dallas. Braniff One-Eleven.
Dallas-Oklahoma City-Denver. Braniff/Continental interchange, 727.
Billings-Helena-Butte-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle. Northwest 727-200.
Seattle-Portland. United DC-8.
Portland-Seattle-Honolulu. Northwest 747.

Honolulu-Lihue-Honolulu-Molokai-Lanai-Kahului-Kamuela-Hilo-Kona-Kahului-Honolulu. Hawaiian DC9/Aloha 737 in various combinations.
Los Angeles-San Francisco. United DC-8.
San Francisco-Albuquerque. United 727.

Old Sep 5, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

When I flew this routing in the spring of 1972 (sans the OKC stop), Braniff International was operating a BAC One-Eleven on the service. However, by 1976, I think BN was flying a B727-200 on the route.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99

How about Allegheny Airlines in a DC9-31/32 with stops in CLE and PIT (taking a hint from an earlier comment)

Hey now - I like this routing, Teddy! Unfortunately, it didn't happen in the 1974 OAG I referenced. Per that tome, Allegheny was not one of the airlines serving Midway. Please - guess again!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bonus Question: Back in the summer of 1976, I took a wonderful 11000 mile trip flying the following routing:

Here are some hints:
  • Some of these flights are milk runs
  • Two of the flights involve airline interchanges
  • "///" means I traveled surface between MUE and ITO
  • For the purposes of this question, I consider a 727-100 a different aircraft than a 727-200. I do not consider a 747-100 a different aircraft than a 747-200.

Originally Posted by WHBM
I'll go for it. This is entirely without references and written on a train between London Waterloo and Guildford. Even the airport codes are best guesses.

Newark-Norfolk. National 727.
Atlanta-Memphis. Delta DC9.
Dallas-Oklahoma City-Denver. Braniff 727.
Billings-Helena-Butte-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle. Northwest 727.
Seattle-Portland-Seattle. United 727.
Seattle-Honolulu. Northwest 747.
Los Angeles-San Francisco. United 727 (I would go for a PSA 727 but I bet tickets weren't interchangeable onto Intrastate flights).
San Francisco-Albuquerque. TWA 727.

10 minutes There's an A380 (I think Emirates) running parallel to us on Heathrow approach.
seeing as I agree with WHBM on several guesses, herewith my differences (in blue):
Newark-Norfolk. Piedmont 737
Atlanta-Memphis-Little Rock-Ft Smith-Tulsa-Oklahoma City Eastern/Braniff interchange, 727
Oklahoma City-Dallas. Braniff One-Eleven.
Dallas-Oklahoma City-Denver. Braniff/Continental interchange, 727.
Billings-Helena-Butte-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle. Northwest 727-200.
Seattle-Portland. United DC-8.
Portland-Seattle-Honolulu. Northwest 747.

Los Angeles-San Francisco. United DC-8.
San Francisco-Albuquerque. United 727.

Originally Posted by jlemon
When I flew this routing (MEM-DFW milk run) in the spring of 1972 (sans the OKC stop), Braniff International was operating a BAC One-Eleven on the service. However, by 1976, I think BN was flying a B727-200 on the route.

We're off to a great start! Between the above entries, here are the ones that are entirely correct so far...

Newark-Norfolk Piedmont 737-200
Memphis-Little Rock-Ft Smith-Tulsa-Oklahoma City-Dallas. Braniff 727-200 (Two-tone orange)
Dallas-Oklahoma City. Braniff 727-100 (Two-tone orange)
Denver-Cheyenne-Casper-Sheridan-Billings. Western 737-200
Billings-Helena-Butte-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle. Northwest 727-200
Honolulu-Los Angeles. United 747-100
Los Angeles-San Francisco. United DC-8-61
Denver-Pueblo-Alamosa-Durango. Frontier Convair 580

Here's what is partially correct so far...

Norfolk-Wilmington-Atlanta. Piedmont _______________

It might help to know how this trip was ticketed:

Newark to Denver via 3 airline joint fare (two different interchange flights were utilized as part of this routing)
Denver to Portland via 2 airline joint fare
Portland to Seattle to Honolulu via single airline
Hawaiian inter-island via Hawaii Air Pass
Honolulu to Denver via 2 airline joint fare
Denver to Durango via single airline

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 6, 2016 at 12:14 am
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the purposes of this question, I consider a 727-100 a different aircraft than a 727-200. I do not consider a 747-100 a different aircraft than a 747-200.
further clarification, please:
what about DC-9-10 vs -30 vs -50?
what about DC-8-20/50 vs -60?
of course you can wave these off if they're irrelevant
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS 1974

7. Well, I think Piedmont served Midway at one point before moving their flights to ORD. If so, perhaps this was PI flying Chicago (MDW) - Roanoke (ROA) - Charlottesville (CHO) - Newark (EWR) with a B737-200.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For the purposes of this question, I consider a 727-100 a different aircraft than a 727-200. I do not consider a 747-100 a different aircraft than a 747-200.

Further clarification, please:
what about DC-9-10 vs -30 vs -50?
what about DC-8-20/50 vs -60?
of course you can wave these off if they're irrelevant.

If there's a significant difference in size, for the purposes of this question I would consider it a different aircraft. Thus, a DC-9-10 is different from a -30, 50 or 80. The -20 was the same as the -10 and the -40 was only 6' larger than the -30 so I don't differentiate on those, i.e. 10/20 the same and 30/40 the same. However, since there aren't any DC-9-20s or -40s as part of this itinerary, it's a moot point.

As for the DC-8, series 10-50 all the same, -62 on its own and 61/63 or 71/73 all the same.

Just to head the next question off at the pass, for the purposes of this question I don't differentiate between the DC-10-10/15/30/40.

Let us count our lucky stars that the 737NGs, 747-300/400s and the narrow bodied Airbus fleet had not been introduced yet...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 7, 2016 at 10:21 am
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ten different airlines and nine different aircraft types/models

We're off to a great start! Between the above entries, here are the ones that are entirely correct so far...

Newark-Norfolk Piedmont 737-200
Memphis-Little Rock-Ft Smith-Tulsa-Oklahoma City-Dallas. Braniff 727-200 (Two-tone orange)
Dallas-Oklahoma City. Braniff 727-100 (Two-tone orange)
Denver-Cheyenne-Casper-Sheridan-Billings. Western 737-200
Billings-Helena-Butte-Missoula-Spokane-Seattle. Northwest 727-200
Honolulu-Los Angeles. United 747-100
Los Angeles-San Francisco. United DC-8-61
Denver-Pueblo-Alamosa-Durango. Frontier Convair 580

Here's what is partially correct so far...

Norfolk-Wilmington-Atlanta. Piedmont _______________

It might help to know how this trip was ticketed:

Newark to Denver via 3 airline joint fare (two different interchange flights were utilized as part of this routing)
Denver to Portland via 2 airline joint fare
Portland to Seattle to Honolulu via single airline
Hawaiian inter-island via Hawaii Air Pass
Honolulu to Denver via 2 airline joint fare
ORF-ILM-ATL ... PI 727-100
DEN-PDX ... already have the airlines, so SEA-PDX on a NW DC-10
PDX-SEA-HNL also a NW DC-10
Hawaii interisland ... post 5069 from a couple years ago confirms HA D95 (HNL-MKK-LNY-OGG) and D9S (OGG-MUE); other segments are a coin flip
HNL-DEN ... already have UA, so SFO-ABQ was likely also UA (727-100); ABQ-DEN wasn't FL, so let's say a Continental DC-9-30
Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good morning, everyone! We've had no internet for the past three days here - not to mention a six hour power outage on Wednesday night that may have precipitated the internet problems. At least the television wasn't out so I was able to watch as my Broncos beat the favored Panthers. In any event, I apologize for the brief ellipsis in correspondence and am glad to be back on line. On to the question at hand...

ORF-ILM-ATL ... PI 727-100

The first joint fare was as follows:

Airline A: EWR-ATL
Airline B: ATL-MEM
Airline C: MEM-DEN

There were two through flights involving at least two stops. Additionally there were two interchange flights.

DEN-PDX ... already have the airlines, so SEA-PDX on a NW DC-10

It was not a DC-10...

PDX-SEA-HNL also a NW DC-10

We're looking for a different airline here...

Hawaii interisland ... post 5069 from a couple years ago confirms HA D95 (HNL-MKK-LNY-OGG) and D9S (OGG-MUE); other segments are a coin flip

Correct!

HNL-DEN ... already have UA, so SFO-ABQ was likely also UA (727-100);

HNL-LAX-SFO was UA, however SFO-ABQ was neither UA or TW...

ABQ-DEN wasn't FL, so let's say a Continental DC-9-30

Continental is correct, however CO didn't have any DC-9-30s until after the Frank Lorenzo mess in the early 1980s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.