Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
74. A client in Minot, ND has requested a meeting to discuss the purchase of 8 new combines for his farm. You’ve just completed a sale in Kansas City and are surprised to find that there is a direct four stop flight leaving MKC that evening at 7:00pm, arriving Minot at 10:45pm. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the four intermediate stops in order.
HINT
: We know it's North Central and two of the stops are FSD and BIS

Let's see if I can tip this one in..... NC operating a D9S with a routing of Kansas City-Omaha-Sioux City-Sioux Falls-Bismarck-Minot.

North Central operating a DC-9-30 is correct, however Omaha was not one of the enroute cities. Sioux City was though. So - we're looking for just one more city and for those of you familiar with NC's route system, I expect a tap-in in the correct order should be forthcoming before the afternoon is out. Good luck!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The remaining questions...

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1955

27. (1955) (The WHBM Special)If you were to book a flight aboard “The Green Hell Special”, which airline would you be flying, what aircraft would you be flying upon and where on earth would you be flying from and to?
HINT: We're looking waay south of the border here...
HINT: The airline has been established as Brazil's REAL...
HINT: The American built aircraft was larger than a DC-3...
HINT: The flight operated entirely within one country...
HINT: The departure point was a major South American city. One stop was made enroute to a destination that currently has a population of over 2 million.

"Green Hell" is a derogatory name that used to be applied to the South American interior, which fits the "south of the border" hint. No airline would likely have used it, so it must have been an unofficial soubriquet. And if it's Waay south it sounds well south

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1962

45. This airline’s advertisements claimed that it was the world’s first to operate an all jet fleet. Identify the airline and the two jet types that comprised its fleet.
A N S W E R E D

47. This was the only country that had two of its airlines providing scheduled service to U.S. gateway cities with de Havilland Comet jetliners. Identify the country and the two airlines.
A N S W E R E D

48. Three airlines offered nonstop flights between Amsterdam and New York. Each airline did so utilizing a different aircraft type. Identify each airline and the aircraft it utilized on this route
A N S W E R E D

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1965

We’re back to tour mode, so grab your bags and let’s head on out to Salt Lake City International Airport.

53. The SEA-PDX route is served by just four airlines. Between them they operate seven different aircraft types on this route – however only one type offered between SEA and PDX is common to each of the four carriers. Please identify each of the four airlines that fly SEA-PDX and the single type of equipment common to each one on this route.

56. We’re going to Vegas, Baby! Four airlines offer nonstop service on the SFO-LAS route. Amongst the total of six nonstop flights offered are aircraft built by four different American manufacturers. Of the four airlines, two operate the same aircraft type from one manufacturer; another operates flights with two aircraft from two more different manufacturers, while the fourth airline operates a single flight with an aircraft from a fourth manufacturer, Identify each airline and match it up with the aircraft it flies on this route.

Only four U.S. airlines that fly to Los Angeles also fly to Canada. Each of the four airlines serves a single Canadian city and each of those is a different city. None of these airlines offer nonstop flights between LA and Canada and only one of these airlines offers a direct flight from LA to the Canadian city it serves, doing so with a daily two-stop flight.

58A. Identify the four U.S. airlines that serve both LA and Canada along with the single Canadian city that each serves.
Three out of four (AA, WA, UA) are correct so far...
C'mon jrl767! Finish this one off!

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1968

60. Northeast Airlines launched the 727-200 into service in late 1967. By mid-1968 only a single 727-200 was scheduled to fly into and out of Denver, Colorado. The flight originated east of Denver, and continued on to a destination west of Denver. Identify the airline and the route flown.
HINT: It's not Frontier...

70. After a week of visiting in-laws in Omaha, Nebraska, it’s finally time to return home to Dallas, Texas. There are no nonstop flights between OMA and DAL but you’ve found a nicely timed 4:30pm departure that will make two stops enroute, arriving in Dallas at 7:15pm. Your wife is none too pleased at the prospect of spending most of the afternoon aloft when you could have booked an earlier one-stop departure that would have gotten to Dallas in considerably less time. She’s all smiles though when you reveal that you’ve shelled out an extra $10.00 each to upgrade you both to First Class all the way. A hearty snack and free booze will be served enroute. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.

72. If you want to fly First Class between Denver, Colorado and Des Moines, Iowa, there’s only one flight per day that fits the bill. It makes one enroute stop and breakfast will be served in First Class while economy will have to make do with a snack. Identify the airline, the routing and the equipment
A N S W E R E D

74. A client in Minot, ND has requested a meeting to discuss the purchase of 8 new combines for his farm. You’ve just completed a sale in Kansas City and are surprised to find that there is a direct four stop flight leaving MKC that evening at 7:00pm, arriving Minot at 10:45pm. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the four intermediate stops in order.
A N S W E R E D

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1969

77. If you were sipping a tropical cocktail aboard this airline’s International Flamingo Jet Service, where would you be flying and what type of aircraft would you be flying upon? While you're at it, you might as well identify what airline you'd be flying upon.

79. This airline claimed to be the “Pride of Scandinavia

80. If you wanted to enjoy “Royal Rose Fan-Jet Service”, what airline would you call and upon what type of aircraft would you be flying?
A N S W E R E D

84. In 1969, four airlines operated nonstop flights between Miami and Port Au Prince. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.

B O N U S ........Q U E S T I O N S

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 10, 2016 at 12:40 pm
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
74. One more time....

NC D9S service Kansas City-Sioux City-Sioux Falls-Aberdeen-Bismarck-Minot (with the big blue quacker in cruise flight on the tail).
Old Aug 7, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA
48. [1962] Three airlines offered nonstop flights between Amsterdam and New York. Each airline did so utilizing a different aircraft type. Identify each airline and the aircraft it utilized on this route
Here's an interesting one.

Pan Am on a Boeing 707, KLM on a Douglas DC-8 is fairly straightforward. Question is, what is that third one, and indeed what aircraft type. The only "different" type I can imagine with the range at the time is the Boeing 720B. So which 720B operator might route through Amsterdam ?

Let's try El Al.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
HINT
: We know it's North Central and three of the stops are SUX, FSD and BIS

NC D9S service Kansas City-Sioux City-Sioux Falls-Aberdeen-Bismarck-Minot (with the big blue quacker in cruise flight on the tail).

Now you're quackin! ^^

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 7, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
48. [1962] Three airlines offered nonstop flights between Amsterdam and New York. Each airline did so utilizing a different aircraft type. Identify each airline and the aircraft it utilized on this route

Here's an interesting one... Pan Am on a Boeing 707, KLM on a Douglas DC-8 is fairly straightforward. Question is, what is that third one, and indeed what aircraft type. The only "different" type I can imagine with the range at the time is the Boeing 720B. So which 720B operator might route through Amsterdam ?

Let's try El Al.

Way to work through it, WHBM! You are correct on all counts.

PA 075 AMS-IDL 130p - 435p Boeing 707 Daily

LY 223 AMS-IDL 500p - 800p Boeing 720B Monday only

KL 641 AMS-IDL 220p - 535p Douglas DC-8 Daily
KL 643 AMS-IDL 610p - 925p Douglas DC-8 Daily
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The remaining questions...

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1962

47. This was the only country that had two of its airlines providing scheduled service to U.S. gateway cities with de Havilland Comet jetliners. Identify the country and the two airlines.
How about Mexico? Mexicana (MX) for sure, and maybe Aeronaves de Mexico (AM)? It's hard to think of any country other than the UK with more than one airline using Comets, let alone ones flying to the US.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:00 am

45. [1962] This airline’s advertisements claimed that it was the world’s first to operate an all jet fleet. Identify the airline and the two jet types that comprised its fleet.
I've been thinking about tis one in odd moments over the days, all jet with two types in 1962, and the best I can come up with is ...

Viasa. Because they were new at the start of the jet era, taking over from other Venezuelan carriers. They bought new Convair 880s to run to the USA, and came to an arrangement with KLM to operate DC8s to Europe. I believe the latter commonly had Dutch flight deck crews and were managed/maintained in Amsterdam.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq

How about Mexico? Mexicana (MX) for sure, and maybe Aeronaves de Mexico (AM)? It's hard to think of any country other than the UK with more than one airline using Comets, let alone ones flying to the US.

You're on the right track here, mini. Mexicana was a Comet operator, but Aeronaves de Mexico was not. We're looking for a predecessor...
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM

45. [1962] This airline’s advertisements claimed that it was the world’s first to operate an all jet fleet. Identify the airline and the two jet types that comprised its fleet.

I've been thinking about this one in odd moments over the days, all jet with two types in 1962, and the best I can come up with is ...

Viasa. Because they were new at the start of the jet era, taking over from other Venezuelan carriers. They bought new Convair 880s to run to the USA, and came to an arrangement with KLM to operate DC8s to Europe. I believe the latter commonly had Dutch flight deck crews and were managed/maintained in Amsterdam.

Only you, WHBM... only you. And of course you are spot on! ^^ All of VIASA's OAG pages (4 of them!) trumpet "World's First All Jet Airline". I'm glad we found this as this question of the world's first all jet airline came up a couple of months ago with Alitalia's claim of the same starting in 1969.

Now then, could there possibly be yet another even earlier all jet operator somewhere out there? It's hard to imagine one prior to 1962...
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:54 am

You're on the right track here, mini. Mexicana was a Comet operator, but Aeronaves de Mexico was not. We're looking for a predecessor...
If I can weigh in on this one.

I think the answer looked for is Aerovias Guest, also of Mexico. However, I wouldn't have really said they were a Comet operator, as there was just a charter arrangement with Mexicana to cover their (only once weekly) service through Miami to Madrid etc in Europe, which we discussed not long ago when it was still a Lockheed Constellation, pretty uncompetitive by 1962. I think they also did a few short trips only to Miami

I've a photograph here of a Comet with dual markings, just the normal Mexicana with a Guest title appended, in Mexicana font. Guest went under shortly after this arrangement started, I'm sure Mexicana would have liked to merge them and their routes but they too were short of money (they had to cancel the second half of their Comet order) and the Guest remnants passed to Aeronaves de Mexico, who put a DC8 on the Europe run.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

miniliq: How about Mexico? Mexicana (MX) for sure, and maybe Aeronaves de Mexico (AM)? It's hard to think of any country other than the UK with more than one airline using Comets, let alone ones flying to the US.

2A: You're on the right track here, mini. Mexicana was a Comet operator, but Aeronaves de Mexico was not. We're looking for a predecessor...

WHBM: If I can weigh in on this one. I think the answer looked for is Aerovias Guest, also of Mexico. However, I wouldn't have really said they were a Comet operator, as there was just a charter arrangement with Mexicana to cover their (only once weekly) service through Miami to Madrid etc in Europe, which we discussed not long ago when it was still a Lockheed Constellation, pretty uncompetitive by 1962. I think they also did a few short trips only to Miami

I've a photograph here of a Comet with dual markings, just the normal Mexicana with a Guest title appended, in Mexicana font. Guest went under shortly after this arrangement started, I'm sure Mexicana would have liked to merge them and their routes but they too were short of money (they had to cancel the second half of their Comet order) and the Guest remnants passed to Aeronaves de Mexico, who put a DC8 on the Europe run.

Aerovias Guest is the airline I'm looking for. Thank you for the clarification, WHBM. It helps explain why I was unable to find a picture of a Comet in Guest's markings.

My 1962 schedule indicates that flights to Europe have been suspended while jet crews are being trained. I'll post MEX-MIA Comet schedules later today.

Guest 100 Mexico City to Miami 730p - 1125p Comet Daily X Tuesday

Guest 101 Miami to Mexico City 800a - 1010a Comet Daily X Wednesday

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 9, 2016 at 1:40 am
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by miniliq
This was a real head scratcher as it would appear that only two countries had 2 or more airlines operating the Comet. I did find that AF and a predecessor to UTA, UAT did operate the Comet but only the I version and withdrew these from service after the window-cracking disasters. I also doubt UAT ever flew to the U.S.? And of course, none of the UK airlines operating them ever flew (scheduled service anyway) to the U.S. other than BOAC.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 12:34 pm

This was a real head scratcher as it would appear that only two countries had 2 or more airlines operating the Comet. I did find that AF and a predecessor to UTA, UAT did operate the Comet but only the I version and withdrew these from service after the window-cracking disasters. I also doubt UAT ever flew to the U.S.? And of course, none of the UK airlines operating them ever flew (scheduled service anyway) to the U.S. other than BOAC.
I believe you are correct. UAT operated their Comets from Paris to North and West Africa. I also believe that the initial BOAC services (only for a year or two until sufficient 707s came along) were the only Transatlantic schedules (although there were plenty of military flights by both RAF and the Canadian RCAF). among other things the Comet's limited pressurisation kept it below 707 flight tracks and thus rather less economical. Incidentally, the fuselage cracking was not from window corners (although often described as such) but from the corner of the ADF radio aperture.

Aerovias Guest is the airline I'm looking for. Thank you for the clarification, WHBM. It helps explain why I was unable to find a picture of a Comet in Guest's markings.
And here one is :
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Mexicana Guest Comet.pdf (188.3 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 9, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS 1968

72. If you want to fly First Class between Denver, Colorado and Des Moines, Iowa, there’s only one flight per day that fits the bill. It makes one enroute stop and breakfast will be served in First Class while economy will have to make do with a snack. Identify the airline, the routing and the equipment
HINT: It's not United...
72. Did Ozark attempt to operate their DC-9 aircraft in two class configuration? If so, I'll vote for OZ with an intermediate stop in Sioux City.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.