Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
well, the other jet was probably a DC-8-50, but you have totally confounded me as to the remaining destination ... I will just toss Reno out there as a wild guess
United operating DC-8 service into Boise is correct!

And Reno is correct as well!

In fact, UA was operating nonstop DC-8 service from BOI to RNO at this time as one of its three DC-8 departures a day (featuring first class and coach, of course) from Boise at this time. Here are the routings.....

UA 223: BOS-ORD-BOI-RNO-LAX-SAN Equip: DC8

UA 248: SEA-BOI-SLC Equip: DC8

UA 374: SEA-PDX-BOI-SLC-ORD-BDL Equip: DC8

United was the only airline ever to operate scheduled passenger service into Boise with the DC-8.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 1, 2016 at 4:59 pm
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1968

59. Imagine you’re in Amarillo, Texas. I know, I know… it ain’t easy… In fact, you probably want to git outta town as soon as possible. Well alrighty then, let’s git on up to the Mile High City – Denver, Colorado. There’s a single nonstop flight operating each day. Identify the airline and the equipment.

65. If you wanted to fly upon a British built airliner from Seattle to anywhere, only one airline and one destination fits the bill. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the destination.
59. Probably a bit too early, year-wise, for Texas International and its DC9 service.....

So let's go with Braniff International operating a B727-100.

65. I don't think Cascade was in business yet with the Hawker Siddeley 748......

However, I do believe that Air Canada was still serving Seattle at this time. If so, aircraft was probably a Vickers Viscount operating nonstop to Victoria (YYJ) with continuing service to Vancouver (YVR).

WX Update:
big thunderstorm to our east over BTR at the present time with a 70,000 foot precip top. And down in the Caribbean Sea, we are expecting the formation of Tropical Storm Earl by tomorrow as this weather system continues to move west toward the Yucatan peninsula and Old Mexico......
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: BA
[46. [1962] You and your gal are enjoying a heckuva’n afternoon on the white sands of Huanama Bay when a messenger approaches with a telegram from a Mr. J. Lemon asking if you’d like to join him and a couple of old sailing buddies who are delivering a nearly new 34’ Buchanan Saxon Sloop from Papeete, Tahiti to Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas Islands. STOP. Are you kiddin’?! Why of course! You quickly cable back that you’ll fly down tomorrow evening aboard the only nonstop flight between Honolulu and Papeete. Thank goodness you were also able to secure the last two First Class seats! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
I think that first thought Pan Am didn't go to the new jet airport at Tahiti at this early date, and second choice UTA, old-time favourite of this thread, didn't even exist in 1962. So the announcement as we sat in the aircraft at Honolulu ready to depart for Papeete would have been along the lines of "Mesdames et messieurs, bienvenue a bord notre Day-Say-Huit de monsieur Doogleeze de la compagnie aerienne Transports Aeriens Intercontinentaux".

Regardez cette photo http://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans...DC-8-33/114804

* Sorry if a bit of a onetime parody of the French expat staff of Cityjet (alias "Zeetyjott") at London City has crept in here.

55. [1965] While flying down to San Francisco, we take a moment to peruse our favorite publication and discover that the towns of Lewiston, Idaho, Lewiston, Maine and Lewistown, Montana are each served by just a single airline – a different airline for each town. Identify the three unique airlines that serve these cities.
Probably one for me given my previous parody of all those names, and need to think of 1965 local service carriers. Maybe West Coast with an F-27 in Idaho, and Northeast with an FH-227 (essentially the same aircraft type) in Maine. Now I didn't at first realise there even was a Lewistown in Montana, had to look it up on a map (it is, inevitably, by the Lewis & Clark National Forest). It seems to be where Northwest's east-west lengthy local service crossed those north-south Western operations up to Great Falls, some of which later got taken over by Frontier. Hmmm. I'll guess (which it is) the latter. I seem to recall stops at a Lewistown mentioned in Tex Searle's book "The Golden Years of Flying", about Frontier in the 1950s-60s, which we have previously discussed. Had Frontier's DC3s been supplanted by Convairs then ?

Last edited by WHBM; Aug 2, 2016 at 2:35 am
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks for your patience, everyone. I had unexpected company last night that prevented me from attending to your fine responses. I should be caught up by 100p ADT. (-9 GMT)

57. Luncheon with business associates awaits this afternoon in Los Angeles. A check of our trusty OAG reveals an airline offering a two-stop flight between Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Whaaaat? Where on earth would a flight make two stops across the vast expanse of the Mojave and the LA Basin? That’s the question. Additionally, we’ll be looking for the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

This was Bonanza Airlines, running a Fairchild F-27 via Apple Valley (APV) and Riverside (RAL).

Yes Sir! Did you fly on this flight, per chance?

Bonanza Flight 451
Equipment: F27
Frequency: Daily

Las Vegas to Apple Valley: 615a - 657a
Apple Valley to Riverside: 700a - 721a
Riverside to Los Angeles: 729a - 753a

[b]64. From Portland, Oregon there are nonstop flights to six different state capitals. Identify each of the state capitols served nonstop out of Portland. Don’t worry about identifying the airlines. Identify just the cities served.

in order of increasing distance, I'll guess the following:
  1. Salem OR (SLE) Correct!
  2. Olympia WA (OLM) Incorrect!
  3. Boise ID (BOI) Correct!
  4. Sacramento CA (SMF) Incorrect!
  5. Salt Lake City UT (SLC) Correct!
  6. Denver CO (DEN) Correct!

You're off to a great start, J! And please accept my apologies re. SLM. You're correct - it's SLE. I too was a bit surprised at the lack os service to Oympia but it was served only through Seattle and Tacoma.

Per jrl767: How's about Phoenix and Honolulu for the two missing state capitols.

Honolulu yes, Phoenix no. Only one more left...

67. Every night except Sunday and Monday, this all economy class jet departs Memphis bound for New York’s Newark International Airport. Two enroute stops are made. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.

Braniff, 727-27QC in Combi configuration, via Nashville (BNA) and Washington Dulles (IAD, but I'm thinking it might still have carried the original "DIA" code at this point)

You da Man! Here's the sked:

Braniff International 610
Equipment: Boeing 727-100QC
Freqency: X17

Memphis to Nashville: 1220a - 100a
Nashville to Washington, DC (DIA) 130a - 325a
Washington DC (DIA) to New York (EWR): 400a - 503a

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 2, 2016 at 12:00 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Did you fly on this flight, per chance?

Bonanza Flight 451
Equipment: F27

Las Vegas to Apple Valley: 615a - 657a
Apple Valley to Riverside: 700a - 721a
Riverside to Los Angeles: 729a - 753a
nope, but when I lived in LA and San Bernardino (Nov 1960 thru Apr 1965) I was an avid collector of timetables and similar stuff ... sadly, I only have a few artifacts, which of course explains that a lot of my erroneous guesses have been based on those long-ago deposits in the memory bank
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
As promised, here are a few more questions from the 1960s...

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1962

50. You are enjoying fine food and beverages aboard this airline’s twice weekly “Pink Cloud” service to Honolulu. Identify the airline, the aircraft and your point of departure from the U.S.

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1969

76. In 1969 all of Aeroflot’s flights between Moscow and New York make a single enroute stop. Identify that stop, please.

81. Every Saturday evening, this airline offered a through flight departing depart San Francisco bound for Auckland, New Zealand. Two stops were made along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the routing flown.
#50: one of my favorite questions to date. In my wife's scrapbook of adventures in her single days is a ticket ($91 First Class) and boarding pass from HNL to SFO on Standard Airways flight 10 featuring Pink Cloud Service. A bit of research suggests it was a Lockheed Super Constellation in the Pink Cloud livery.

#76: I'm pretty sure the intermediate stop was YUL,

#81: PanAm with a 707 via LAX and PPT.
Attached Images   
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
42. Nonstop flights between New York and Manchester, UK are offered by only one airline. From Manchester this flight continued on to its home base. Identify the airline, the aircraft used and the onward destination from Manchester.

This was actually a longstanding service, way back into DC6 prop aircraft days, although by 1962 they had now changed over to 707s, some of which stopped over on their way to New York. However not everyone seems to have been pleased with the service, for at least one said "Such A Beastly Experience, Never Again".

Spot on, WHBM. Here's the schedule:

Sabena #546
Equipment: Boeing 707
Frequency: Mon Tue Thur Sat Sun

New York (IDL) - Manchester: 730p - 715a
Manchester - Brussels: 805a - 920a

Bonus Question: Three days per week, eastbound SN flights between New York and Brussels made a different enroute stop. Where was it?

49. The WHBM Special: This airline provided the only direct service between Rio de Janeiro and Beirut, Lebanon via a 5-stop jet flight. Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft operating this flight.

Another challenge for me. I believe it was Panair, the onetime (though no longer by 1962) subsidiary of Pan Am, operating a few DC8s that Pan Am had ordered and transferred to them when new. Where did they stop ? Maybe Recife, Dakar, Lisbon and Rome, those were Panair points in Europe, and they had a liaison with Alitalia. Lisbon is of course the main European destination from Portuguese-speaking Brazil. Beirut was not as oddball a destination as it may appear, in the 1960s it was the pre-eminent aviation, commercial and cultural centre of the Middle East, fulfilling a role which Dubai now has. So when you hear of Emirates launching daily 777 flights from Dubai to Rio, someone has been in the market more than 50 years ago.

It's tough to find challenging questions for you, WHBM, but it is fun to try. As ever, you not only know the answer to this one but you've also provided us the added benefit of enlightening commentary. ^^ You did however accidentally omit one early stop, made between Rio and Recife. The answer of course is obvious so I'll just add that now - Sao Paulo.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
44. (1962) What was the farthest west that National Airlines operated its Lockheed Electras?

I believe it was San Francisco (SFO).

I believe you're correct, Sir! Check out this routing!

National 223
Equipment: Lockheed Electra

BOS-IDL: 730a - 830a Breakfast
IDL-JAX: 900a - 1155a Snack
JAX-MCO: 1220p - 1255p
MCO-TPA: 115p - 143p
TPA-MSY: 210p - 250p
MSY-HOU: 315p - 420p
HOU-LAS: 445p - 644p Dinner
LAS-SFO: 705p - 842p

51. We’ll begin our 1965 odyssey by boarding the only nonstop flight offered between Salt Lake City and Spokane, WA. Identify the airline and equipment we’ll be flying upon.

United operating a DC-6B.

If only I were 30 years older... Your answer is correct, by the way!

United 745
Douglas DC-6
Daily

Salt Lake City to Spokane: 600p - 735p Dinner

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 2, 2016 at 2:52 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

66. Convair 880 service into Denver is available from a variety of eastern destinations. If you wanted to fly west out of Denver aboard a Convair 880, where would you go and on which airline would you do so?

I think you would go from Stapleton to San Francisco, with a brief stop in Oakland, aboard a red-and-white TWA Convair 880.

If I didn't know better, I'd agree with you J. You've got the correct airline but no - it's a different destination we're looking for here. Please - guess again!

75. Every Sunday morning at 10:25am this flight departs Acapulco, Mexico bound nonstop for New York’s John F, Kennedy International Airport, arriving at 4:00pm. Identify the airline and the aircraft operated on this once weekly service.

If not Aeronaves de Mexico, this was probably Eastern ... in either case, I'm reasonably sure the jet was a DC-8-50

So, um... which one was it?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
59. Imagine you’re in Amarillo, Texas in 1968. I know, I know… it ain’t easy… In fact, you probably want to git outta town as soon as possible. Well alrighty then, let’s git on up to the Mile High City – Denver, Colorado. There’s a single nonstop flight operating each day. Identify the airline and the equipment.

Probably a bit too early, year-wise, for Texas International and its DC9 service..... So let's go with Braniff International operating a B727-100.

Correct! Alright then, what color would the Braniff plane have been?

Braniff 168 Dep. Amarillo 5:25p Arr. Denver 5:24p Boeing 727-100

65. If you wanted to fly upon a British built airliner from Seattle to anywhere in 1968, only one airline and one destination fits the bill. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the destination.

I don't think Cascade was in business yet with the Hawker Siddeley 748......
However, I do believe that Air Canada was still serving Seattle at this time. If so, aircraft was probably a Vickers Viscount operating nonstop to Victoria (YYJ) with continuing service to Vancouver (YVR).

Correct! Air Canada offered 4 nonstop Viscount flights per day between Seattle and Victoria. The one way fare was $10.00 USD.

WX Update:
big thunderstorm to our east over BTR at the present time with a 70,000 foot precip top. And down in the Caribbean Sea, we are expecting the formation of Tropical Storm Earl by tomorrow as this weather system continues to move west toward the Yucatan peninsula and Old Mexico......
Here's a picture of how the weather up here affected our road...

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...0ed8.image.jpg
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
46. [1962] You and your gal are enjoying a heckuva’n afternoon on the white sands of Huanama Bay when a messenger approaches with a telegram from a Mr. J. Lemon asking if you’d like to join him and a couple of old sailing buddies who are delivering a nearly new 34’ Buchanan Saxon Sloop from Papeete, Tahiti to Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas Islands. STOP. Are you kiddin’?! Why of course! You quickly cable back that you’ll fly down tomorrow evening aboard the only nonstop flight between Honolulu and Papeete. Thank goodness you were also able to secure the last two First Class seats! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

I think that first thought Pan Am didn't go to the new jet airport at Tahiti at this early date, and second choice UTA, old-time favourite of this thread, didn't even exist in 1962. So the announcement as we sat in the aircraft at Honolulu ready to depart for Papeete would have been along the lines of "Mesdames et messieurs, bienvenue a bord notre Day-Say-Huit de monsieur Doogleeze de la compagnie aerienne Transports Aeriens Intercontinentaux".

Regardez cette photo http://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans...DC-8-33/114804

WHBM, you Da Man! Vous avez raison , bien sűr! Il était TAI voler un DC-8.

55. While flying down to San Francisco, we take a moment to peruse our favorite publication and discover that the towns of Lewiston, Idaho, Lewiston, Maine and Lewistown, Montana are each served by just a single airline – a different airline for each town. Identify the three unique airlines that serve these cities.

Probably one for me given my previous parody of all those names, and need to think of 1965 local service carriers. Maybe West Coast with an F-27 in Idaho, and Northeast with an FH-227 (essentially the same aircraft type) in Maine. Now I didn't at first realise there even was a Lewistown in Montana, had to look it up on a map (it is, inevitably, by the Lewis & Clark National Forest). It seems to be where Northwest's east-west lengthy local service crossed those north-south Western operations up to Great Falls, some of which later got taken over by Frontier. Hmmm. I'll guess (which it is) the latter. I seem to recall stops at a Lewistown mentioned in Tex Searle's book "The Golden Years of Flying", about Frontier in the 1950s-60s, which we have previously discussed. Had Frontier's DC3s been supplanted by Convairs then?

Good job, W! All of your airline choices relative to cities served are correct. As to aircraft, my schedules show that WC operated both DC-3s and F27s into LWS, Northeast operated DC-3s only into LEW and Frontier offered only Convair 580 service into LWT - an airport I recently had the misfortune of flying out of aboard a Beech 1900 during a violent thunderstorm. While I'm proud to say I've yet to throw up on an airplane, that flight tested my stomach like no other!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Only four U.S. airlines that fly to Los Angeles also fly to Canada. Each of the four airlines serves a single Canadian city and each of those is a different city. None of these airlines offer nonstop flights between LA and Canada and only one of these airlines offers a direct flight from LA to the Canadian city it serves, doing so with a daily two-stop flight. This question has two parts:

58A. Identify the four U.S. airlines that serve both LA and Canada along with the single Canadian city that each serves.

58B. Identify the airline that offers a direct two-stop flight between LA and Canada. Which Canadian city does it fly to and what are the two enroute stops?
58A- let's take this east to west:
  • Northeast served Montreal (from Boston)
  • American served Toronto (from New York, I think LGA)
  • Western served Calgary (from Great Falls)
  • United served Vancouver (from Seattle)

58B- most likely UA, LAX-SFO-SEA-YVR

as for 66- TWA only served LAX as another westbound destination from DEN, so that must have been where the 880 went

as for 75- in order of appearance: AM is first guess, EA is backup
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
50. You are enjoying fine food and beverages aboard this airline’s twice weekly “Pink Cloud” service to Honolulu. Identify the airline, the aircraft and your point of departure from the U.S.

One of my favorite questions to date. In my wife's scrapbook of adventures in her single days is a ticket ($91 First Class) and boarding pass from HNL to SFO on Standard Airways flight 10 featuring Pink Cloud Service. A bit of research suggests it was a Lockheed Super Constellation in the Pink Cloud livery.

Nicely done, mini! Standard Airways' schedule doesn't indicate the aircraft type but the Connie makes sense. Here're the schedules:

Standard Airways "Pink Cloud" Service (No flight number indicated)
Equipment: Lockheed Constellation
Frequency: Westbound: Tue Fri Eastbound: Wed Sun

Burbank to San Francisco: 1000p - 1110p
San Francisco to Honolulu: 1159p - 630a

Honolulu to San Francisco: 800p - 800a
San Francisco to Burbank: 900a - 1030a

76. In 1969 all of Aeroflot’s flights between Moscow and New York made a single enroute stop. Identify that stop, please.

I'm pretty sure the intermediate stop was YUL.

Make that 100% sure. Montreal it was!

81. Every Saturday evening, this airline offered a through flight departing depart San Francisco bound for Auckland, New Zealand. Two stops were made along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the routing flown.

Pan Am with a 707 via LAX and PPT.

Correct! Here's the schedule:

Pan American 815
Equipment: Boeing 707
Frequency: Sat

San Francisco to Los Angeles: 1000p - 1100p
Los Angeles to Papeete: 1159p - 615a
Papeete to Auckland: 715a - 1040a
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA
76. In 1969 all of Aeroflot’s flights between Moscow and New York made a single enroute stop. Identify that stop, please.

I'm pretty sure the intermediate stop was YUL.

Make that 100% sure. Montreal it was!
Not shown in any schedules, but it was quite common for these flights to also make an unscheduled stop for fuel westbound at Murmansk, especially in summer temperatures at Moscow Sheremetyevo. The first generation IL62 would have found that distance quite a challenge.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS 1968

68. Passengers flying between Los Angeles and San Francisco have a variety of airlines as well as three and four engined airplanes to choose from. However, only one airline flies the LAX-SFO route with a twin jet. Identify the airline and the aircraft flown.
68. Wild guess time....PSA operating a DC-9-30.

And although I cannot tell you the color of the Braniff 727 operating AMA-DEN, I can say this PSA aircraft was adorned with a smile right under the nose.

Catch Our Smile! PSA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.