Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The remaining questions...

80. If you wanted to enjoy “Royal Rose Fan-Jet Service”, what airline would you call and upon what type of aircraft would you be flying?
80. Iberia Airlines on their DC-8.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
72. If you want to fly First Class between Denver, Colorado and Des Moines, Iowa, there’s only one flight per day that fits the bill. It makes one enroute stop and breakfast will be served in First Class while economy will have to make do with a snack. Identify the airline, the routing and the equipment

Did Ozark attempt to operate their DC-9 aircraft in two class configuration? If so, I'll vote for OZ with an intermediate stop in Sioux City.

They did indeed. First Class was offered through at least 1973. Meals were served atop garish bright yellow tablecloths with green napkins.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
80. If you wanted to enjoy “Royal Rose Fan-Jet Service”, what airline would you call and upon what type of aircraft would you be flying?

Iberia Airlines on their DC-8.

Correct! How on earth did you ever know that, Teddy? ^
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The remaining questions...

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1955

27. (1955) (The WHBM Special)If you were to book a flight aboard “The Green Hell Special”, which airline would you be flying, what aircraft would you be flying upon and where on earth would you be flying from and to?
A N S W E R E D

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1965

We’re back to tour mode, so grab your bags and let’s head on out to Salt Lake City International Airport.

53. The SEA-PDX route is served by just four airlines. Between them they operate seven different aircraft types on this route – however only one type offered between SEA and PDX is common to each of the four carriers. Please identify each of the four airlines that fly SEA-PDX and the single type of equipment common to each one on this route.

56. We’re going to Vegas, Baby! Four airlines offer nonstop service on the SFO-LAS route. Amongst the total of six nonstop flights offered are aircraft built by four different American manufacturers. Of the four airlines, two operate the same aircraft type from one manufacturer; another operates flights with two aircraft from two more different manufacturers, while the fourth airline operates a single flight with an aircraft from a fourth manufacturer, Identify each airline and match it up with the aircraft it flies on this route.

Only four U.S. airlines that fly to Los Angeles also fly to Canada. Each of the four airlines serves a single Canadian city and each of those is a different city. None of these airlines offer nonstop flights between LA and Canada and only one of these airlines offers a direct flight from LA to the Canadian city it serves, doing so with a daily two-stop flight.

58A. Identify the four U.S. airlines that serve both LA and Canada along with the single Canadian city that each serves.
A N S W E R E D
C'mon Seat 2A! Get this one right next time!

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1968

60. Northeast Airlines launched the 727-200 into service in late 1967. By mid-1968 only a single 727-200 was scheduled to fly into and out of Denver, Colorado. The flight originated east of Denver, and continued on to a destination west of Denver. Identify the airline and the route flown.
HINT: It's not Frontier...

70. After a week of visiting in-laws in Omaha, Nebraska, it’s finally time to return home to Dallas, Texas. There are no nonstop flights between OMA and DAL but you’ve found a nicely timed 4:30pm departure that will make two stops enroute, arriving in Dallas at 7:15pm. Your wife is none too pleased at the prospect of spending most of the afternoon aloft when you could have booked an earlier one-stop departure that would have gotten to Dallas in considerably less time. She’s all smiles though when you reveal that you’ve shelled out an extra $10.00 each to upgrade you both to First Class all the way. A hearty snack and free booze will be served enroute. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.
A N S W E R E D

THE TIMELINE FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS IS 1969

77. If you were sipping a tropical cocktail aboard this airline’s International Flamingo Jet Service, where would you be flying and what type of aircraft would you be flying upon? While you're at it, you might as well identify what airline you'd be flying upon.
A N S W E R E D

79. This airline claimed to be the “Pride of Scandinavia

84. In 1969, four airlines operated nonstop flights between Miami and Port Au Prince. Identify each airline and the equipment it operated on this route.
HINT: Air France Caravelle and Pan Am 707 identified so far

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 16, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:15 pm

77. If you were sipping a tropical cocktail aboard this airline’s International Flamingo Jet Service, where would you be flying and what type of aircraft would you be flying upon? While you're at it, you might as well identify what airline you'd be flying upon.
Flying to NAS on board a BAC 1-11 of Bahamas Airways (BH).
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto

Flying to NAS on board a BAC 1-11 of Bahamas Airways (BH).

Ya mon! Cheers! ^
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
58A. Identify the four U.S. airlines that serve both LA and Canada along with the single Canadian city that each serves.
Three out of four (AA, WA, UA) are correct so far...

C'mon jrl767! Finish this one off!
58A-
correct guesses
incorrect guesses
U.S. trunk airlines: AA, BN, CO, DL, EA, NA, NE, NW, TW, UA, WA
U.S. flag carriers: PA, TW
U.S. local airlines: AL, AS, BL, CN, FL, HA, LC, MO, NC, PC, PI, PS, RW, SO, TS(Aloha), WC
didn't serve LAX: BN, EA, NW, all locals except BL, PC, PS
didn't serve Canada: BN, CO, DL, NA, TW, all locals except WC, NC

I'm at a total loss here

70. After a week of visiting in-laws in Omaha, Nebraska, it’s finally time to return home to Dallas, Texas. There are no nonstop flights between OMA and DAL but you’ve found a nicely timed 4:30pm departure that will make two stops enroute, arriving in Dallas at 7:15pm. Your wife is none too pleased at the prospect of spending most of the afternoon aloft when you could have booked an earlier one-stop departure that would have gotten to Dallas in considerably less time. She’s all smiles though when you reveal that you’ve shelled out an extra $10.00 each to upgrade you both to First Class all the way. A hearty snack and free booze will be served enroute. Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.
70- how about a Frontier 727 (Arrow Jet?) via Kansas City and Little Rock
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

correct guesses
incorrect guesses
U.S. local airlines: AL, AS, BL, CN, FL, HA, LC, MO, NC, PC, PI, PS, RW, SO, TS(Aloha), WC

I'm at a total loss here

One of the airlines that you've listed as not serving LAX is the airline we're looking for...

How about a Frontier 727 (Arrow Jet?) via Kansas City and Little Rock?

Yes!!! Right on, J! ^
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
58A- I'll go with NW who served Winnipeg (YWG), but I found both 1964 and 1966 route maps that showed only connecting service to LAX ...
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond

Did Ozark attempt to operate their DC-9 aircraft in two class configuration? If so, I'll vote for OZ with an intermediate stop in Sioux City.

They did indeed. First Class was offered through at least 1973. Meals were served atop garish bright yellow tablecloths with green napkins.
And don't forget the Ozark special cocktail! -- the Go-Getter.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 12, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

correct guesses
incorrect guesses

I'm at a total loss here

One of the airlines that you've listed as not serving LAX is the airline we're looking for...

I found both 1964 and 1966 route maps for NW that showed only connecting service to LAX ...

And you would be 100% correct, J! I apologize for what can only be described as a senior moment. Now that I've been reunited with my schedules, the 1965 version clearly indicates the error of my question (and subsequent responses). I'm sorry for any extra work I put you through and have contacted a Northwest history site to inquire why NW weren't serving LAX by 1965!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 13, 2016 at 10:58 am
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA
and have contacted a Northwest history site to inquire why NW weren't serving LAX by 1965!
Such was life in regulation days. Northwest didn't serve LAX or San Francisco at all until, I am guessing, the 1969 award of many routes to Hawaii, when they got Minneapolis to San Francisco and LAX, onward to Honolulu, and then to Tokyo. Minneapolis to LAX/SFO had long been a Western-only route, which they had defended from competition; when Northwest finally got it as well, within a few years they were both running multiple DC-10s a day on it. I think the Transpacifics through Honolulu were all 747 from early times.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

53. The SEA-PDX route is served by just four airlines. Between them they operate seven different aircraft types on this route – however only one type offered between SEA and PDX is common to each of the four carriers. Please identify each of the four airlines that fly SEA-PDX and the single type of equipment common to each one on this route.
53. Wild guess time......

Northwest, Pan Am, United and Western all operating the Douglas DC-6B.

I was going to guess the Boeing 720; however, I thought there might be a distinction between the 720 and the 720B.

And we have a widespread emergency in progress here in the southern portion of the great state of Louisiana according to our Governor (who indeed issued a state of emergency earlier today). The culprit? Very heavy rainfall with significant flooding. I just checked my rain gauge and have recorded nearly nine and one-half inches of precip here at the house since the storm began in the wee hours of the morning. Our backyard borders on a flood control channel (known as a coulee here) and the water is over the top and now advancing into our backyard to the highest level we've ever seen. Thankfully, it's a big backyard and the floodwaters are still a good distance from the house. We're hoping it stays that way!
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
the water is over the top and now advancing into our backyard to the highest level we've ever seen.
Any alligators coming up ?

In a monsoon in India, a Jet Airways ATR-72 landed and ran over a crocodile on the runway . Must have been an interesting one for airfield ops.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Any alligators coming up ?

In a monsoon in India, a Jet Airways ATR-72 landed and ran over a crocodile on the runway . Must have been an interesting one for airfield ops.
Not yet! However, the floodwaters have been responsible for quite a few snakes, some of them poisonous, heading for higher ground. And I hate snakes.....

Just checked WX radar and here we go again: a severe squall line is now headed our way with torrential rain not to mention the threat of large hail and damaging winds. It has been raining constantly here for over 18 hours without a single break. And the National Weather Service stated a short time ago that had the center of this low pressure storm system been located just 100 miles south over the Gulf of Mexico (where sea surface water temps are now approaching 90 degrees F) it would have been a named tropical storm.

So perhaps we have been lucky....so far! :-:

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 12, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.