FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:26 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
The ATL-MEM section was indeed part of the EA/BN interchange. Now then, which airline and aircraft? (It wasn't a 72S)

MEM--->DFW has already been identified as a BN 72S, so deductive reasoning would seem to say this was EA ... and it would have been a 727

Correct! I flew this EA segment aboard a red/mustard BN 727-27

DFW-OKC-DEN = BN/CO interchange, 727
One of these segments was part of an interchange, but it wasn't BN/CO.

Hmmmmmm ... gotta think the only other OKC-DEN operators were FL and UA; I'm flipping a mental coin and finding UA

Remember, this EWR-DEN trip was part of a 3 airline joint fare. The airlines involved were PI ATL EA MEM BN DEN. Two interchange flights were involved - both of them nonstop. One of them has been identified (ATL-MEM)

PDX-SEA-HNL = CO D10 --> Continental is correct and the DC-10 was involved on one of the segments. Essentially, we had a through flight from Portland with a change of gauge. So then - what was the other aircraft?

How about a 72S connecting to the D10

How 'bout it? Correct!ABQ-DEN = CO 72S --> Correct airline - wrong aircraft.

Part of me wants to say 720B, but I'm pretty sure they were gone from the CO fleet by 1976; another part just remembered the "too early" response to my initial guess (D9S), which leads me to think DC9-10, but that screws up the model number count ... so final guess is a standard 727 (-024)

Good call, J! ^