Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
I knew Phil was an aero engineer (MIT, I believe) but can't recall ever hearing anything about him being a pilot, much less an aerobatic one

this was 30+ years ago, however, so a goodly number of those memory bank deposits have likely been overwritten
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
10. Beirut was a bit of a hotbed for Boeing 720B services. Name the four airlines that served Beirut with the 720B.
I know that this has been partly answered, so let me add Ethiopian (ET) and Pakistan International (PK). I spent 12 hrs in the Beirut airport a couple of years later on a PK 720B flight from Frankfurt-Beirut-Dhahran while they addressed a "problem" that had to do with the quality of the hydraulic fluid -- not very comforting.

I hope the Saints redeem themselves this evening!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq

Yep, being at home in the Superdome should help, I hope, after the disaster in Seattle......
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Now that we've taken care of old Mexico, let's turn our attention north to our good friends in Canada.....

I'll guess the nine U.S. air carriers serving Canada in 1970 were:

1) Allegheny (AL)

2) American (AA)

3) Eastern (EA)

4) Hughes Airwest (RW)

5) North Central (NC)

6) Northeast (NE)

7) Northwest (NW)

8) United (UA)

9) Western (WA)

Excellent job, Mr. L.! All of the above selections are correct, however further research has revealed TWO additional airlines (Not Pilgrim) that also served Canada. One was in the northeast and one was in the far northwest. One used a jet, one used a prop though the prop service later became a jet when I flew the route in 1979.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 9, 2013 at 5:38 am
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
4. Name the seven airlines that operated scheduled Comet service to/from London Heathrow.

There would be lots of BOAC Comets around on the ground, but none left on schedules, as the last BOAC Comet service was at the end of 1965. They didn't last for long because the first one only operated 7 years earlier. So, we have

BEA - plenty of them, including they had just started using them on London-Glasgow, the first UK domestic jet service, deliberately to spike British United about to start One-Eleven services. BEA also operated services marked as Cyprus Airways, who didn't have their own fleet then but put their CY flight numbers on BEA operations.

Olympic, to Athens. Actually managed by BEA, the two fleets were operated as an integrated unit, and some aircraft moved backwards and forwards between them over time, including Olympic aircraft with UK registrations.

East African, including a number of ex-BOAC ones.

Kuwait Airways, strangely not based in Kuwait at the time but in Beirut (one of my current office colleagues, his father was a KU flight engineer on Comets and they lived in Beirut).

MEA, the proper airline from Beirut.

United Arab (or were they trading as Egyptair by this time), from Cairo.

Sudan Airways, from Khartoum. The area was a hotbed of Comet operators.

Maybe Aerolineas Argentinas. I think they changed over to 707s on the London run during 1966.

Spot on, WHBM, with one slight exception. In the March 1, 1966 International OAG that I referenced, Sudan Airways was shown to be operating into Gatwick.
Now here's a separate question for you: The schedules also show VC10 service from a company called Central African Airways. They looked to be a Salisbury, Rhodesia based operation that flew single class F7s and VCs on regional flights to JNB, LUM, MRU and BUQ. However, there were two F/Y VC10s scheduled as follows:

CE892 JNB-SAY-NBO-FCO-LHR
CE893 LHR-FCO-NBO-SAY-JNB

I have never been able to find a single picture of a Central African VC10, and scant reference to one in a casual search of the internet. Do you have any further information on this possibly seventh LHR VC10 operator?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

18. This aircraft’s prototype was known as the “367-80”. What was this aircraft better known as?

18. The Boeing 367 dash 80 was the prototype aircraft that led to the development of the Boeing 707. And with this airplane, Boeing was poised to enter the commercial jet age in a major way and also with quite a bit of risk as the company had no firm orders at the time for what would become the iconic 707.

Only one 367-80 was built. The aircraft was rolled out 59 years ago in 1954. It currently resides at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum annex which is located at Washington Dulles Airport (IAD). I hope to visit this museum in the near future.

The 367-80 was featured at the 1955 Seafair in Seattle where it performed a flyby for aviation and airline industry personnel. Test pilot Alvin "Tex" Johnston actually performed two barrel rolls during which the aircraft was momentarily inverted. Boeing President Bill Allen was not amused by these barrel rolls and told Tex Johnston to never do anything like that again. And years later, I believe Boeing President Phil Condit told a couple of Boeing 777-200 test pilots the same thing before its maiden flight: "No rolls!"

jlemon, you are SO correct - it's as if you wrote the book on this yourself!
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

10. Beirut was a bit of a hotbed for Boeing 720B services. Name the four airlines that served Beirut with the 720B.

I know that this has been partly answered, so let me add Ethiopian (ET) and Pakistan International (PK). I spent 12 hours in the Beirut airport a couple of years later on a PK 720B flight from Frankfurt-Beirut-Dhahran while they addressed a "problem" that had to do with the quality of the hydraulic fluid -- not very comforting.

I'm showing no answer to this question yet, so let's go with your two for starters. It shouldn't be too hard to flesh out the rest, especially the home base operator.

31-13 sounds pretty redeeming. Meanwhile, just 1000 miles to the northwest, history was made with a 64 yard field goal and a 51-28 victory.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here are the remaining questions left:

The following 6 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1966 International OAG

5. What was Korean Air Lines’ only international route from Seoul? What type of aircraft did they use? A N S W E R E D

6. This west Asian airline offered the only scheduled jet service from Shanghai and Canton, China. What airline was it? Added bonus if you can say where it flew to. A N S W E R E D

7. Name the three airlines that operated Convair 990s into Rio de Janeiro. PARTIALLY A N S W E R E D
(We have Varig and Swissair. We need just one more...)

8. Name the two airlines that operated Caravelles from Rio de Janeiro

9. This African airline offered nonstop Bristol Brittania flights between this west African city and London, Heathrow.

(Still looking for two more airlines...) A N S W E R E D

* * * x x x x x x x x x x x * * *

11. What well known South American airline’s acronym loosely translates into Rio Grande Airlines?

13. What made the 707-420 different? Name five airlines that ordered it. PARTIALLY A N S W E R E D
(The difference has been established, and we know that BOAC and Air India flew the -400s. We need three more airlines...)

14. Which major U.S. airline ordered Boeing 720s before it ordered 707s? PARTIALLY A N S W E R E D
(Western has been acknowledged as one of the airlines. There's one more...)

15. This jet airplane was originally named the “Skylark”. What better known name was it later given? A N S W E R E D
(What was another pre-production name given to the 880?)

16. In 1977 this became the first airliner to carry over one billion passengers. A N S W E R E D

19. What airline was the world’s largest operator of Boeing 727-200s? A N S W E R E D

The following 3 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1970 North American OAG

23. Even though Guadalajara is Mexico’s 2nd largest city, it had only three flights – one each – to three different cities in the United States. Each of these flights was operated by a different airline with different types of equipment. Identify the airlines, the routes and the aircraft used. PARTIALLY A N S W E R E D

24. What was different and unique about Braniff’s original factory delivered 707s?

27. While Anchorage was a major refueling point for international flights between Europe and Asia, only two airlines operated international flights from Fairbanks. Identify the airlines and the routes flown. A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 13, 2013 at 3:22 am
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Quote:

I'll guess the nine U.S. air carriers serving Canada in 1970 were:

1) Allegheny (AL) ✓

2) American (AA) ✓

3) Eastern (EA) ✓

4) Hughes Airwest (RW) ✓

5) North Central (NC) ✓

6) Northeast (NE) ✓

7) Northwest (NW) ✓

8) United (UA) ✓

9) Western (WA) ✓

Excellent job, Mr. L.! All of the above selections are correct, however further research has revealed TWO additional airlines (Not Pilgrim) that also served Canada. One was in the northeast and one was in the far northwest. One used a jet, one used a prop though the prop service later became a jet when I flew the route in 1979.
How about Mohawk (MO) using a BAC 1-11, and in the northwest, West Coast (WC), using F27s on the GEG-YYC route.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How about Mohawk (MO) using a BAC 1-11, and in the northwest, West Coast (WC), using F27s on the GEG-YYC route.
Mohawk is correct, serving Montreal from Burlington with a BAC-111. However, West Coast had by then been merged into Air West, so no, it wasn't West Coast...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:40 am

I know that this has been partly answered, so let me add Ethiopian (ET) and Pakistan International (PK).
I'm showing no answer to this question yet, so let's go with your two for starters. It shouldn't be too hard to flesh out the rest, especially the home base operator.
Actually jrl22 had proposed Middle East (ME) and Olympic (OA) upthread in post 3815; I agree with him on ME; for the fourth, how about Saudi Arabian Airlines (SV).
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
jlemon, you are SO correct - it's as if you wrote the book on this yourself!
Ah, well, as some of you know, my dear old Dad spent most of his career as an aerospace engineer with the Boeing Company......

Of course, he was in the space division and thus not in the commercial aircraft division but I do remember reading the Boeing employee newsletters he brought home back in the day.....not to mention his copies of Aviation Week & Space Technology........
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mohawk is correct, serving Montreal from Burlington with a BAC-111. However, West Coast had by then been merged into Air West, so no, it wasn't West Coast...
Hmmm....the "far northwest".....we could be talkin' about Alaska here.

So perhaps a couple of wild guesses are in order:

Pan Am flew into Whitehorse at one point with a DC-6B (I think) with a round trip routing of Juneau-Whitehorse-Fairbanks several days a week....but I don't think PA operated a B707 into Whitehorse before they dropped the route completely.

So this could be Wien Air Alaska (WC).....first with a Fairchild F-27 on round trip routing of FAI-YXY-JNU and later with a B737-200 on the same routing.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: BA
Now here's a separate question for you: The schedules also show VC10 service from a company called Central African Airways. They looked to be a Salisbury, Rhodesia based operation that flew single class F7s and VCs on regional flights to JNB, LUM, MRU and BUQ. However, there were two F/Y VC10s scheduled as follows:

CE892 JNB-SAY-NBO-FCO-LHR
CE893 LHR-FCO-NBO-SAY-JNB

I have never been able to find a single picture of a Central African VC10, and scant reference to one in a casual search of the internet. Do you have any further information on this possibly seventh LHR VC10 operator?
It's an honorary service, actually it was a BOAC VC10, aircraft and crew, doing the flight. CAA was one of the large African airlines (think East African, South African, West African as well) that were started off by BOAC in colonial days. Just like EAA a few years later, CAA was riven by politics once the multiple colonies that had joint ownership became independent, and given that CAA covered Rhodesia and Zambia, political opposites, it all fell apart, Air Rhodesia, Zambia Airways and Air Malawi picking up the pieces.

They did once have Viscount 700 services to London, stopping at many points along the way, but this was just uncompetitive once the BOAC jets came along, so they placed their flight number on a couple of BOAC schedules per week from Jo'burg to London that transited Salisbury (nowadays Harare). Initially done with Comets, and later VC10s. A dedicated aircraft was not used, it was just one from the BOAC fleet.

Incidentally, I don't believe they ever had F27s, just Viscount 700s and DC3s. However, they may have used aircraft from surrounding countries under their flight number, just like the VC10 arrangement.

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 9, 2013 at 12:06 pm
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Here are the remaining questions left:

7. Name the three airlines that operated Convair 990s into Rio de Janeiro. ...
I posited Varig (RG) and Swissair (SR) back in post #3815, but I don't have any other guesses to add

16. In 1977 this became the first airliner to carry over one billion passengers. ...
how about the Boeing 727? I was initially thinking the 707 due to longevity of service, but the sheer size and worldwide diversity of the 727 fleet might have gotten it over that milestone sooner

19. What airline was the world’s largest operator of Boeing 727-200s? ...
FedEx acquired dozens if not hundreds of 72S jets as passenger operators withdrew them from service, as well as taking the last dozen or so off the Boeing production line ... I know their fleet included ex-AA, AC (including three for which I ran a pre-delivery Digital Flight Data Recorder certification flight test in my Boeing days), DL, EA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.