Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
2. In 1958, this airline was operating a flight three times a week from Miami (MIA) to Lima (LIM). The service departed MIA at 7:00 am, made two intermediate stops en route and arrived in LIM at 7:20 pm. Name the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type.

Seems like any number of airlines could have fit the bill here. Is Lima the destination or an intermediate stop as part of a longer routing? So many questions - so few answers. Here's a start though, working backwards...

I'll say the aircraft was a DC-6 and the stops were Panama City and somewhere in Ecuador... Let's go with Guayaquil for now. As to the airline... let's start the bidding with LAN Chile.
2. You are off to a good start here, Seat 2A! However, the airline was not LAN Chile and the equipment wasn't a Douglas DC-6....or any piston powered aircraft for that matter. I will say the aircraft in question featured four engines. And, nope, Panama City (PTY) wasn't the first stop....but Guayaquil (GYE) was the second stop! And this flight did indeed terminate in Lima (LIM).
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
2. In 1958, this airline was operating a flight three times a week from Miami (MIA) to Lima (LIM). The service departed MIA at 7:00 am, made two intermediate stops en route and arrived in LIM at 7:20 pm. Name the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type.

Hi guys, I see y'all are still at it. I"m not back -- I just happened to peek at your recent posts and the question reminded me of a couple of jobs I had in northern Peru in the 60s, fairly close to your date. I have flown into both Lima and Guayaquil (the latter on an Ecuatoriana DC-6B), and one possibility came to mind: Canadian Pacific had some very long international routes, one of which included a DC-8 flight that went from Miami to Lima, and I believe the intermediate stops were Mexico City and GYE. I could be way off base, but it was too tempting to pass up. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by miniliq; Apr 16, 2018 at 8:05 pm Reason: typos
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

You are off to a good start here, Seat 2A! However, the airline was not LAN Chile and the equipment wasn't a Douglas DC-6....or any piston powered aircraft for that matter. I will say the aircraft in question featured four engines. And, nope, Panama City (PTY) wasn't the first stop....but Guayaquil (GYE) was the second stop! And this flight did indeed terminate in Lima (LIM).

Just finished a fine chicken curry breakfast here in Vientiane. Soaking up a bit of AC and Wi-Fi before heading out into the heat and humidity of a cloudy Laotian day. So then, four engines, no pistons... 1958 seems a bit early for jets in South America - even the Comet which Aerolineas Argentinas operated early on but up to New York via Port of Spain. An Ecuadorian airline flew the Comet but I wouldn't imagine they were amongst the early operators. One possibility might be Lockheed's Electra, though if it were in 1958 that would be early enough that it would likely have to be a U.S. airline, and that means Braniff. Seems odd that a BN flight would terminate at LIM, but let's go with a Braniff Electra anyway routing via Bogota and Guayaquil.

P.S. Hey Mini! Great to hear from you here at the OTAQ&D! I thought of you the other day when I was served a Woodford Reserve in a miniature bottle from Alaska Airlines. However, the bottle was totally generic with no airline branding. Please, I'm sure I speak for many when I welcome you to stop back and enlighten our discussion any time and hopefully, on my next visit to the Big Easy, you, JL and I (and anyone else here who may care to join us) can meet up at Tujague's or some similarly fine NOLA eatery for another fine get together.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 17, 2018 at 2:02 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: FB Platinum
5. Identify the airline that made the following statement in its timetable in 1969: The BAC-111 is the first "tailored for the job" short haul jet. Although a very sophisticated machine, it can operate out of small secondary airports equally as well as from major international airports.

Ans. Quebecair. They ran the BAC-111 on their Montreal/Sept-iles and Montreal/Wabush routes.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq

Hi guys, I see y'all are still at it. I"m not back -- I just happened to peek at your recent posts and the question reminded me of a couple of jobs I had in northern Peru in the 60s, fairly close to your date. I have flown into both Lima and Guayaquil (the latter on an Ecuatoriana DC-6B), and one possibility came to mind: Canadian Pacific had some very long international routes, one of which included a DC-8 flight that went from Miami to Lima, and I believe the intermediate stops were Mexico City and GYE. I could be way off base, but it was too tempting to pass up. Keep up the good work!
Hello miniliq! Great to hear from you and I certainly hope all is well with you and the family in the N.O. area!

2. Alas, the air carrier in question was not Canadian Pacific, the equipment wasn't a DC-8 and the first stop was not made in Mexico City........and Ecuatoriana is not the airline we are looking for as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 17, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

You are off to a good start here, Seat 2A! However, the airline was not LAN Chile and the equipment wasn't a Douglas DC-6....or any piston powered aircraft for that matter. I will say the aircraft in question featured four engines. And, nope, Panama City (PTY) wasn't the first stop....but Guayaquil (GYE) was the second stop! And this flight did indeed terminate in Lima (LIM).

Just finished a fine chicken curry breakfast here in Vientiane. Soaking up a bit of AC and Wi-Fi before heading out into the heat and humidity of a cloudy Laotian day. So then, four engines, no pistons... 1958 seems a bit early for jets in South America - even the Comet which Aerolineas Argentinas operated early on but up to New York via Port of Spain. An Ecuadorian airline flew the Comet but I wouldn't imagine they were amongst the early operators. One possibility might be Lockheed's Electra, though if it were in 1958 that would be early enough that it would likely have to be a U.S. airline, and that means Braniff. Seems odd that a BN flight would terminate at LIM, but let's go with a Braniff Electra anyway routing via Bogota and Guayaquil.

P.S. Hey Mini! Great to hear from you here at the OTAQ&D! I thought of you the other day when I was served a Woodford Reserve in a miniature bottle from Alaska Airlines. However, the bottle was totally generic with no airline branding. Please, I'm sure I speak for many when I welcome you to stop back and enlighten our discussion any time and hopefully, on my next visit to the Big Easy, you, JL and I (and anyone else here who may care to join us) can meet up at Tujague's or some similarly fine NOLA eatery for another fine get together.
2. Ah, it was not Braniff International operating a Lockheed Electra. Bogota was not the first stop as well. Nor was it an air carrier based in Ecuador flying a Comet. And here's a clue: the airline in question was not based in the U.S. Now, the L-188 is a turboprop, of course. So this may constitute another clue with regard to the equipment operated on route. Plus, the air carrier made this statement concerning their MIA - ___ - GYE - LIM service: " .....(aircraft type) manned by experienced American pilots."

Meantime, I second the motion concerning an upcoming get together in the Crescent City! Perhaps we could begin at Crescent City Brewing Company on Decatur in the Quarter for some excellent fresh microbrewed beer on tap accompanied by fresh oysters on the half shell. And after that, dinner at one of the Quarter's fine dining restaurants (Muriel's on Jackson Square comes to mind). We could even make the festivities an OTAQ&D "mini-event". I'm in!

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 17, 2018 at 2:45 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosensfole
5. Identify the airline that made the following statement in its timetable in 1969: The BAC-111 is the first "tailored for the job" short haul jet. Although a very sophisticated machine, it can operate out of small secondary airports equally as well as from major international airports.

Ans. Quebecair. They ran the BAC-111 on their Montreal/Sept-iles and Montreal/Wabush routes.
5. Correct! Quebecair (QB) was also operating Fairchild F-27 and DHC-6 Twin Otter turboprop equipment at this same time. And by 1975, QB was flying scheduled B727-100 service in eastern Canada in addition to its BAC One-Eleven flights.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

Please answer no more than two quiz items at a time so that all may participate. Thanks!

2. In 1958, this airline was operating a flight three times a week from Miami (MIA) to Lima (LIM). The service departed MIA at 7:00 am, made two intermediate stops en route and arrived in LIM at 7:20 pm. Name the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft type. Routing was MIA - ___ - GYE - LIM and was not flown with an Electra but was operated with a turboprop. The first stop was not made at Bogota or Panama City. The air carrier in question wasn't Braniff International or any other U.S. based airline, nor was it Canadian Pacific, LAN Chile or an airline based in Ecuador....and now ANSWERED

3. Now it's 1959 and you are in Belize City. You need to travel to Martinique and are expecting this will be a difficult and time consuming trip by air. But wait! There's a flight which operates nonstop once a week to a destination where you can make a quick 55 minute connection to another flight which operates direct to Martinique. This second flight operates three days a week and only makes two stops en route. You'll depart BZE at 6:50 am and arrive at FDF at 6:45 pm. The same airline operates both flights and the aircraft type is the same on both flights as well. Identify the air carrier, the connecting city, both stops on the second flight and the aircraft operated on both flights. The same aircraft type that was operated on both of these flights was powered by four engines....and now ANSWERED

7. In 1971, this airline was operating a through service from Honolulu to Saipan twice a week. The first flight made five intermediate stops en route and the second flight operated nonstop. Two different aircraft types were operated with a 30 minute connection facilitating the equipment change. Name the airline, all five stops on the first flight in the order in which they were made, the connecting airport and the aircraft types. These flights operated on Wednesdays and Sundays only with different flight numbers being used depending on the day of operation. The same flight number was used all the way through from Honolulu to Saipan on the respective day of operation with an equipment change taking place at the last stop before Saipan....and now ANSWERED
Just three more to go here......

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 20, 2018 at 9:03 pm Reason: added more info concerning #2 and clarification for #7
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jrl767
last call —
5- SJU-???
6- ???- SXM
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I'll guess an Antilles seaplanes Grumman Goose from San Juan to St Thomas, and a Winair Twin Otter from STT to SXM.
this was close, but not close enough
JoeDTW had the right idea, but the reverse implementation

SJU-STT (St Thomas), North Cay Air DC3
SPB (St Thomas Seaplane Base) - SXM, Antilles Air Boats Grumman Goose
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:17 am

7. In 1971, this airline was operating a through service from Honolulu to Saipan twice a week. The first flight made five intermediate stops en route and the second flight operated nonstop. Two different aircraft types were operated with a 30 minute connection facilitating the equipment change. Name the airline, all five stops on the first flight in the order in which they were made, the connecting airport and the aircraft types. These flights operated on Wednesdays and Sundays only with different flight numbers being used depending on the day of operation. The same flight number was used all the way through from Honolulu to Saipan on the respective day of operation with an equipment change taking place at the last stop before Saipan.
This is a tough question.
I originally thought it would be Continental (I've used their service from Narita to Guam back in the day) but then thought perhaps Air Micronesia (part of Continental afaik). The only service from Honolulu I know of stopped in more than 5 stations between these two though; Midway (Johnston), Majuro, Kwasalein, Ponape, Truk, Guam then onto Saipan from Guam with Continental to Okinawa. I have friends from the 80s who used to use this route during school holidays.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a tough question.
I originally thought it would be Continental (I've used their service from Narita to Guam back in the day) but then thought perhaps Air Micronesia (part of Continental afaik). The only service from Honolulu I know of stopped in more than 5 stations between these two though; Midway (Johnston), Majuro, Kwasalein, Ponape, Truk, Guam then onto Saipan from Guam with Continental to Okinawa. I have friends from the 80s who used to use this route during school holidays.
7. You are off to a good start here, rosensfole! The air carrier in question was indeed Continental Air Micronesia. And there were five stops on its "island hopper" route from Honolulu to Guam at this time in this order: Midway Island (which according to the timetable was an "operational stop only"), Kwajalein, Majuro, Ponape and Truk as Johnston Island was not served at this time. However, we are still looking for the two aircraft types operated on the route, from Honolulu to Guam and then the second type on to Saipan. There was also something unique concerning the equipment operated on the HNL-GUM routing. What was unique about this aircraft? Please guess again, sir!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:44 am

7. You are off to a good start here, rosensfole! The air carrier in question was indeed Continental Air Micronesia. And there were five stops on its "island hopper" route from Honolulu to Guam at this time in this order: Midway Island (which according to the timetable was an "operational stop only"), Kwajalein, Majuro, Ponape and Truk as Johnston Island was not served at this time. However, we are still looking for the two aircraft types operated on the route, from Honolulu to Guam and then the second type on to Saipan. There was also something unique concerning the equipment operated on the HNL-GUM routing. What was unique about this aircraft? Please guess again, sir!
Was it a Teflon[TM] coated B727 by any chance between HNL and GUM? Not a clue for GUM-SPN so I'll guess at DC6.

When I went to Guam I wanted to get off, so boring, I should have done the island hop and would do now if I had the chance again as it looks like a cracking trip.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was it a Teflon[TM] coated B727 by any chance between HNL and GUM? Not a clue for GUM-SPN so I'll guess at DC6.

When I went to Guam I wanted to get off, so boring, I should have done the island hop and would do now if I had the chance again as it looks like a cracking trip.
Finally home and back in the OTAQ&D saddle following a very busy business trip over to Houston....

7. I believe rosensfole is correct concerning the underside of the Continental Air Micronesia B727 aircraft being Teflon coated in order to facilitate operations involving crushed coral runways. I also remember seeing film footage back in the day of a CO "Air Mike" 727 landing on a crushed coral runway that had standing rainwater on it. The airplane was throwing a considerable amount of water up into the air as it de-accelerated down the runway. I wish I could find that film footage!

And there was something else unique with regard to the Air Micronesia 727 back in 1971: it was the one and only B727-100 in the CO fleet at the time. The aircraft was a -100C model and she had a name: "Ju Ju".

Plus, the other aircraft type we were looking for here was indeed a DC-6B. Here's the sched.....

CO 665 / 667: Honolulu (HNL) 06:30 - 08:25 Midway Island (MDY) 08:55 - (Intl. Date Line) -11:10 Kwajalein (KWA) 11:40 - 12:25 Majuro (MAJ) 12:55 - 13:50 Ponape (PNI) 14:20 - 14:25 Truk (TKK) 14:55 - 16:15 Guam (GUM) 16:45 - 17:30 Saipan (SPN)
Op: CO 665 operated on Sundays only and CO 667 operated on Wednesdays only
Equip: B727-100C HNL-GUM, DC-6B GUM-SPN
Note: Midway Island was an "operational stop only" on the westbound CO 665 / 667 flights. The eastbound flights (CO 664 / 666) did not make an operational stop at Midway Island.

I also believe this was one of the last examples (if not the last example) of a major U.S. based air carrier operating the DC-6B in scheduled passenger service.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 20, 2018 at 3:03 pm
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please see post number 12818 above as it is now time for last call for quiz items 2 and 3!

As we have to depart very early tomorrow morning on our way to Providenciales in the Caribbean, I will provide the answers for these two remaining quiz items early this evening.

And the clock is now ticking......

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 20, 2018 at 3:02 pm
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. Now it's 1959 and you are in Belize City. You need to travel to Martinique and are expecting this will be a difficult and time consuming trip by air. But wait! There's a flight which operates nonstop once a week to a destination where you can make a quick 55 minute connection to another flight which operates direct to Martinique. This second flight operates four days a week and only makes two stops en route. You'll depart BZE at 6:50 am and arrive at FDF at 6:45 pm. The same airline operates both flights and the aircraft type is the same on both flights as well. Identify the air carrier, the connecting city, both stops on the second flight and the aircraft operated on both flights.
And it's now time for the final answers for the above....

2. The airline was Lineas Aereas De Nicaragua, S.A. a.k.a. LANICA and the equipment was a Vickers Viscount. Flight 411 departed Miami (MIA) at 07:00 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and flew nonstop to Managua (MGA) arriving at 10:00. It then departed MGA at 10:30 arriving Guayaquil (GYE) at 15:45 and then took off again at 16:15 and arrived in Lima (LIM) at 19:20. The LANICA timetable had this marketing statement concerning the service:

LANICA AIRLINES fastest to LIMA, Peru via MANAGUA, NICARAGUA (non stop) AND GUAYAQUIL, ECUADOR

Enjoy luxury, first class flights aboard smooth, vibration-free jet prop VISCOUNTS manned by experienced American pilots. You arrive refreshed from a smooth trip that features two abreast seating, air conditioned pressurized cabins and delicious hot meals served by Lanica's bilingual speaking stewardesses.

3. The air carrier was British West Indian Airways (BWIA) and the aircraft type used on both flights was a Vickers Viscount. Here are the scheds....

BW 351: Belize (BZE) 6:50a - 10:50a Kingston (KIN)
Op: Tuesdays only
Equip: Viscount

Connecting to.....

BW 405: Kingston (KIN) 11:45a - 3:40p San Juan (SJU) 4:10p - 5:35p Antigua (ANU) 5:55p - 6:45p Martinique (FDF)
Op: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only
Equip: Viscount
Note: complete routing for BW 405 was MIA - MBJ - KIN - SJU - ANU - FDF - SLU - POS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.