Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Howdy Seat 2A! 2. And you are correct, sir! There were 12 first class (F) seats in a 2-2 configuration on Austrian's "Prop-Jet Super Viscount" and they were located in the rear of the aircraft. It appears the F seats were slightly wider than the tourist class (T) seats. Depending on one's location in the T cabin, tourist class seats were either in a 2-2 configuration towards the front of the aircraft (and it appears rows 1 and 2 had seats facing each other) or 2-3 configuration in middle of the aircraft with most T seats being in this config.
Yes!!! Score one for a rare instance where deductive reasoning has served me well!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

And so, here we go again with a new batch of quiz items.....as always, please limit your response to two or three quiz items per day. Thanks!

1. In 1930, this airline was operating six round trip flights a day between Detroit and Cleveland. The air carrier in question stated it provided "the fastest, the most direct and most convenient transportation between the business sections of Cleveland and Detroit." The aircraft used for these flights could transport "six cabin passengers together with 500 pounds of baggage....." There was also something very unique about this air service. Name the airline that operated these flights and also describe what was unique about this service. And for extra special bonus points, identify the aircraft. ANSWERED

3. Speaking of the Vickers Viscount, in 1961 this European-based airline was offering nonstop flights between Lourdes, France (LDE) and four destinations in Europe outside of France. The Viscount was operated on all of these flights. Identify the airline and all four destinations which were located in four different countries. And here's a hint: this airline was not based in France.

4. In 1962, what was the name for the nonstop service operated by Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA) between Toronto (YYZ) and Vancouver (YVR)? Also name the aircraft type operated on this service.

5. It's the spring of 1968 and you are in Spokane visiting with old friends. The party turned into a poker game which has lasted all night and it's now 3:00 am. The good news is you're ahead of the game with regard to your winnings. The bad news is you now have to travel to San Francisco on short notice on business. Ah, what's this? There's a flight departing GEG at 4:55 am which will get you into SFO at 10:16 am. A total of six stops will be made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the aircraft and all six stops in the order in which they will be made.

6. Also in 1968, two airlines were cooperating on the nonstop route between London Heathrow (LHR) and Luxembourg (LUX). Air carrier number one operated two different aircraft types on the LHR-LUX route while air carrier number two operated only one aircraft type. Identify both air carriers and the respective equipment each flew on the route. ANSWERED

8. It's the winter ski season of 1976 and Hughes Airwest is operating eight nonstop flights every Saturday into Twin Falls (TWF) with DC-9-10 and DC-9-30 jets from six different airports. Name all six airports. BOI, LAX, PIH, SFO, SLC and ____

11. In 1983, this air carrier was operating nonstop service with a wide body aircraft once a week between Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (POM) and Auckland (AKL). Identify the airline and the aircraft.
Still looking for answers for the above.....and Happy St. Patricks Day everyone! A very good friend who happens to be a Captain with American (currently transitioning from the 777 to the 787) and who has Irish roots in his family tree is in Dublin today as he and his friends attend the festivities there every year. Next year I'll attempt to join them and will also attempt to use miles for a visit to the U.K. around the same time as well.

And here comes a thundershower in advance of our next cold front here in the LFT area.....good thing I deployed the lawn mower yesterday afternoon!

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 19, 2018 at 5:22 pm Reason: "answered" updates
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
8. It's the winter ski season of 1976 and Hughes Airwest is operating eight nonstop flights every Saturday into Twin Falls (TWF) with DC-9-10 and DC-9-30 jets from six different airports. Name all six airports

How did I miss this one? Being the Hughes Airwest fan that I was back in the day (I loved those yellow airplanes!), I'm going to go with a combination of geographical proximity and perceived big city markets that might support a seasonal nonstop to Sun Valley. Here are my guesses... Hopefully I'll knock off five or six of 'em

Boise
Salt Lake
Idaho Falls
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Portland

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 17, 2018 at 10:37 am
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
8. It's the winter ski season of 1976 and Hughes Airwest is operating eight nonstop flights every Saturday into Twin Falls (TWF) with DC-9-10 and DC-9-30 jets from six different airports. Name all six airports

How did I miss this one? Being the Hughes Airwest fan that I was back in the day (I loved those yellow airplanes!), I'm going to go with a combination of geographical proximity and perceived big city markets that might support a seasonal nonstop to Sun Valley. Here are my guesses... Hopefully I'll knock off five or six of 'em

Boise - Yes! Two daily nonstops from BOI, one with a DC-9-10 and the other with a DC-9-30.
Salt Lake - Yes! Two daily nonstops from SLC, one with a DC-9-10 and the other with a DC-9-30.
Idaho Falls - Nope.....this daily DC-9-10 flight made a stop en route.
Los Angeles - Yes! A Saturday only nonstop flight that departed LAX in the morning operated with a DC-9-30. Breakfast was served en route.
San Francisco - Yes! A Saturday only nonstop flight that departed SFO in the morning operated with a DC-9-10. Breakfast was served en route.
Portland - Nope.....this daily DC-9-30 flight made a stop en route
Four down, two to go! And I enjoyed my flights on board Hughes Airwest DC-9-30 aircraft as well......

The airline promoted Twin Falls (TWF) as the "jet gateway to Sun Valley" back in the 1970's.

Hughes Airwest. Yes. Top Banana In The West.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Four down, two to go!
Hmm... alright then, let's go with... Pocatello and Spokane
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:38 pm

17. What airline was operating daily nonstop service with a Lockheed L-1011 between Nassau (NAS) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL) at this time?
An extensive search into the depths of the internet is telling me Regal Bahamas International Airways but I cannot trace any photos or reference to specific airframes in the TriStar information available to me. Must have been a leased aircraft.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm... alright then, let's go with... Pocatello and Spokane
Pocatello - Yes! One daily nonstop from PIH operated with a DC-9-10.

Spokane - Nope.....this daily DC-9-10 flight made four stops en route.

So just one to go.....and the city in question may come as a surprise.

Hughes Airwest. Yes. Top Banana In The West.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
An extensive search into the depths of the internet is telling me Regal Bahamas International Airways but I cannot trace any photos or reference to specific airframes in the TriStar information available to me. Must have been a leased aircraft.
Thanks for catching this as I did not include it on my updated list of unanswered quiz items above!

And Regal Bahamas International Airlines (RH) is correct! It appears the Bahamas based air carrier was operating just two daily round trip flights with the L-1011 at this time: Nassau (NAS) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Nassau - New York Kennedy (JFK).
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So just one to go.....and the city in question may come as a surprise.
I want to say Las Vegas, but as a nod to Pacific Airlines, I'm going to say San Jose, CA.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I want to say Las Vegas, but as a nod to Pacific Airlines, I'm going to say San Jose, CA.
Nope, it wasn't San Jose or Las Vegas.

Hughes Airwest operating two daily one stop flights from LAS to TWF at this time, one with a DC9 and the other with a D9S. And there was not even connecting service listed from SJC by RW.

I will say that our mystery city is located in California.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nope, it wasn't San Jose or Las Vegas.I will say that our mystery city is located in California.
Hmm... okay then, let's go with the state capitol - Sacramento. If not that, then it's gotta be El Centro!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:24 am

6. Also in 1968, two airlines were cooperating on the nonstop route between London Heathrow (LHR) and Luxembourg (LUX). Air carrier number one operated two different aircraft types on the LHR-LUX route while air carrier number two operated only one aircraft type. Identify both air carriers and the respective equipment each flew on the route. Luxair operating a Vickers Viscount and ____(U.K. air carrier)____operating __________ and ___________ aircraft

My next guess is British Eagle International Airlines, using Viscount and BAC One-Eleven.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm... okay then, let's go with the state capitol - Sacramento. If not that, then it's gotta be El Centro!
Ah, it was not Sacramento (SMF) or El Centro (IPL)....and I suspect you were not being very serious with regard to the latter!

El Centro was being served by Hughes Airwest at this time in 1976 with all RW flights into IPL being operated with the Fairchild F-27. In fact, one could fly nonstop to El Centro from Los Angeles (LAX), Palm Springs (PSP), Yuma (YUM) and even exotic Blythe (BLH) in an F-27 back in early 1976. One stop F-27 service to IPL was also being operated from Phoenix (PHX).

So please guess again, sir, as our mystery city is located not very far from one of your two guesses above....but which one?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
6. Also in 1968, two airlines were cooperating on the nonstop route between London Heathrow (LHR) and Luxembourg (LUX). Air carrier number one operated two different aircraft types on the LHR-LUX route while air carrier number two operated only one aircraft type. Identify both air carriers and the respective equipment each flew on the route. Luxair operating a Vickers Viscount and ____(U.K. air carrier)____operating __________ and ___________ aircraft

My next guess is British Eagle International Airlines, using Viscount and BAC One-Eleven.
6. Correct! Here are the scheds.....

EG 810: London Heathrow (LHR) 11:25 - 12:25 Luxembourg (LUX)
Op: Mondays through Fridays
Equip: BAC One-Eleven
On board service: Lunch

EG 812: London Heathrow (LHR) 11:25 - 13:00 Luxembourg (LUX)
Op: Sundays only
Equip: Vickers Viscount
On board service: Lunch

EG 811: Luxembourg (LUX) 13:30 - 14:40 London Heathrow (LHR)
Op: Mondays through Fridays
Equip: BAC One-Eleven
On board service: Refreshments

EG 813: Luxembourg (LUX) 13:30 - 15:10 London Heathrow (LHR)
Op: Sundays only
Equip: Vickers Viscount
On board service: Refreshments

British Eagle was also serving as the general sales agent in the U.K. for Luxair with the LG operated LUX-LHR Viscount service being listed with the EG flights in the latter airline's system timetable at this time.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 18, 2018 at 11:43 am Reason: additional info
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Re. 8. Please guess again, sir, as our mystery city is located not very far from one of your two guesses above....but which one?

Close, huh? Well now, I just can't see operating out of Lake Tahoe or Stockton but back in the day when I was driving around California trying to visit all of the remote airports that I would likely never fly into (I either visited or flew into all of Air West's California stops except Vandenberg) I remember that it was just a short drive over the Laguna Mountains between San Diego and El Centro. Could it be that enough San Diegans wanted to hit the slopes that RW gave them a nonstop to Twin Falls? If so, I'm sure it was a Saturday only turn.

San Diego. That's my final answer.

4. In 1962, what was the name for the nonstop service operated by Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA) between Toronto (YYZ) and Vancouver (YVR)? Also name the aircraft type operated on this service.

You'd think I would know this one, being the inflight service oriented guy that I am, but no - haven't a clue. Let's go with Maple Leaf Service aboard a DC-8-40

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 18, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.