Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rosensfole
Hmmm.

12. All we're left with are AF and BA (I don't think anyone else was allowed to land in that sector of Berlin until after the wall crumbled) and with AF starting the EuroBerlin airline for intra-Europe business I'd have to plump for ... British Airways. Not sure why they would fly that route though.
The route could only be flown by international airlines, as you note, and at least some people were not allowed to travel by land. When I was working for Bavaria I discovered, after the event, that I was not allowed to take the train. This may have led to the route making sense.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by rosensfole
Hmmm.

12. All we're left with are AF and BA (I don't think anyone else was allowed to land in that sector of Berlin until after the wall crumbled) and with AF starting the EuroBerlin airline for intra-Europe business I'd have to plump for ... British Airways. Not sure why they would fly that route though.
12. British Airways is correct! BA was operating four round trip flights a day with B737-200 equipment in early 1989 between Frankfurt and Berlin Tegel. I also believe BA had formerly operated Internal German Service (IGS) with the Super BAC One-Eleven 500 while Air France had previously operated the Caravelle on IGS flights serving Berlin. Pan Am, of course, had a long history of operating IGS flights after the end of World War II. Then the Berlin Wall fell later in 1989 and the political situation in Germany changed once again. I am sure WHBM could provide much better details concerning IGS flights so hopefully he will chime in here when he has a moment or two.....
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The route could only be flown by international airlines, as you note, and at least some people were not allowed to travel by land. When I was working for Bavaria I discovered, after the event, that I was not allowed to take the train. This may have led to the route making sense.
I believe that by treaty between the former Soviet Union and the western Allies that British, French and U.S. air carriers were the only airlines permitted to operate IGS flights specifically with regard to Berlin air service.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
I believe that by treaty between the former Soviet Union and the western Allies that British, French and U.S. air carriers were the only airlines permitted to operate IGS flights specifically with regard to Berlin air service.
I was being vague but you are right, it was just the powers that controlled sectors of Berlin
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
I was being vague but you are right, it was just the powers that controlled sectors of Berlin
Happily, the situation at Berlin Tegel appears to be much improved these days!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
I'm just glad I was able to get to the right answer... eventually

Thanks jlemon for putting these puzzles together and making them entertaining, as well as fun they're educational.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
15. This airline was operating a weekly one stop flight from Honolulu (HNL) to Frankfurt (FRA) at this time with a wide body aircraft. Identify the airline, the stop and the equipment.

This sounds like Air New Zealand. I remember visiting New Zealand often in the 1980s and recall a news item mentioning that it was the most popular foreign destination for German travelers, of which there were many. Rarely did a day go by in New Zealand when you did not hear English being spoken in a German accent. Air New Zealand responded by extending some of its flights beyond LAX to Frankfurt and also London. I have a menu from the LA-London flight, which if I remember correctly was a codeshare with BA. It was operated with the DC-10-30. Frankfurt flights on the other hand were operated with Boeing 747-200s (My visits to New Zealand were frequent enough that I managed to log flights aboard all five of TE's 747 classics). So - to be clear, Air New Zealand operating a 747-200 HNL-LAX-FRA with the fabulous lambswool covered Recaro recliners in First Class.

17. What airline was operating daily nonstop service with a Lockheed L-1011 between Nassau (NAS) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL) at this time?

Something tells me you've found a foreign airline tag on flight from the likes of Germany's LTU but since it's daily I'm going to go with Delta for now.

21. This air carrier was operating a flight twice a week from Honolulu to London Gatwick. One stop was made en route. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft.

If it was a few years earlier, I'd say Western, but let's go with Continental operating a DC-10 via Denver. The timeline leaves me less than 100% confident on this but if it is CO I remember the westbound flight departing Denver for Honolulu at about 6:30pm - for me the perfect departure time (into the sunset) for a flight to any Pacific island. The immortal request of Thurston Howell the Third come to mind as I gaze out my window over the sun dappled Pacific...Lovey - could you fetch me another Mai Tai please?!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 11, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:49 am

10. It's still 1982 and you are about to board a wide body aircraft in Frankfurt (FRA). Your destination is Los Angeles (LAX) and you will make two stops en route. You are looking forward to this daily flight as you will be traveling in the front cabin in "Executive One" business class. Name the airline, the equipment and the two stops.
10. Maybe World Airways with a DC-10-30.
Guessing on the stops - Baltimore sounds likely as they from flew there to LGW. Perhaps the flight continued to Frankfurt, so I'll offer London Gatwick and Baltimore as the stops on the way to LAX.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Morning Seat 2A!

15. Air New Zealand is correct! Flight 18 originated in Auckland, of course, and then departed Honolulu very early in the morning every Friday at 6:10 am bound for Los Angeles. The 747 then departed LAX at 3:20 pm and arrived in Frankfurt at 11:30 am.

17. Well, this does sound like Delta, doesn't it? However, it was not DL and in fact the flight was not operated by a U.S. based airline nor was it flown by LTU or by another European based air carrier as well. Please guess again, sir!

21. Continental is correct! However, you would have to get up rather early to catch this flight as CO 34 departed Honolulu every Friday and Sunday at 8:40 am bound for Denver. On the plus side, you would catch the sunset over the Colorado Plateau, say in the vicinity of Canyonlands (always a beautiful part of the world to fly over, especially up in first with a suitable cocktail in hand). The DC-10-30 then departed DEN at 7:25 pm and arrived at London Gatwick at 11:25 am. Plus, CO 34 also operated on Wednesdays DEN-LGW.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:06 am

24. Only one airline was operating Boeing 767-300 service nonstop from Bangkok (BKK) to Sydney at this time with one flight a week. Name the air carrier.
Lauda Air ?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
10. Maybe World Airways with a DC-10-30.
Guessing on the stops - Baltimore sounds likely as they from flew there to LGW. Perhaps the flight continued to Frankfurt, so I'll offer London Gatwick and Baltimore as the stops on the way to LAX.
10. Not maybe, KT550! Definitely, as you are correct! Here's the sched.....

WO 33: Frankfurt (FRA) 11:00a - 11:25a London Gatwick (LGW) 12:55p - 4:45p Baltimore (BWI) 6:20p - 9:00p Los Angeles (LAX)
Op: Daily
Equip: DC-10-30
Note: Executive One Business Class available on this flight
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:16 am

16. If you wanted to fly nonstop from London Stansted (STN) to Frankfurt (FRA) at this time, what airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying on?
Air UK, with a BAe 146
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lauda Air ?
24. Correct! NG 1 departed Vienna every Tuesday at 3:00 pm with nonstop service to Bangkok. The B767-300 then departed BKK at 9:00 am every Wednesday and arrived in Sydney at 10:05 pm. And every once in awhile, former Formula One race car driver Niki Lauda was known to actually fly as Captain on Lauda Air aircraft.

BTW, Mr. Lauda is still apparently very much interested in the air transportation business as I believe his latest airline venture, LaudaMotion, will begin operations in Europe in time for the summer travel season this year.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air UK, with a BAe 146
16. Air UK is correct.....but not with a BAe 146 at this time in 1989. Please guess again concerning the equipment, sir!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:37 am

16. Air UK is correct.....but not with a BAe 146 at this time in 1989. Please guess again concerning the equipment, sir!
must have been F-27 then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.