Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

"Amazing... You want another beer?" Well.....yes!

4. Now it's the spring of 1969 and you are in Birmingham, Alabama. You've been invited to a lunch symposium at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. Much to your surprise, you've found a morning nonstop out of BHM to the closest commercially served airport to the lab. This flight operates daily departing at 7:20 am and arriving at 9:05 am. Identify the airline, the equipment and the city you will arrive into.

I had to look up Oak Ridge National Laboratory since I had no idea where it was, much less its purpose. In any event I see it's near Knoxville and in that case the airline that immediately comes to mind is United operating off the old Capital Airlines route network. If so, I reckon I'll go with the ubiquitous 727-100.

13. Now it's the late summer of 1984 and you are in Reno. An old friend who has a de Havilland Canada Beaver float plane has invited you on a fishing trip on Kodiak Island in Alaska. You're in! You book a business class seat on a daily direct flight which will make three stops en route to Kodiak. Identify the airline, all three stops in order and the equipment.

This sounds like Wien Alaska. In 1980 I flew them nonstop into Kodiak from Seattle but in 1984 I'm going to guess that they flew a 737-200 on the following routing: RNO-PDX-SEA-ANC-ADQ. Wait! It was Business Class so that would make it a 727. The -200 seems a bit big so let's go with the -100 variant.
4. United operating into Knoxville (TYS) is correct! However, the aircraft type wasn't a 727 so please guess again, sir!

13. Yep, Wien is
correct! The air carrier was operating as Wien Airlines at this time having dropped "Alaska" from its name. And the equipment was a 72S. Here's the sched....

WC 5: Reno (RNO) 9:30a - 10:50a Portland (PDX) 11:15a - 11:55a Seattle (SEA) 12:30p - 2:50p Anchorage (ANC) 3:25p - 4:15p Kodiak (ADQ)
Op: Daily
Equip: 727-200
Service classes: Business & Coach
Meal service: Lunch SEA-ANC
Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
4. Now it's the spring of 1969 and you are in Birmingham, Alabama. You've been invited to a lunch symposium at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. Much to your surprise, you've found a morning nonstop out of BHM to the closest commercially served airport to the lab. This flight operates daily departing at 7:20 am and arriving at 9:05 am. Identify the airline, the equipment and the city you will arrive into..

United operating into Knoxville (TYS) is correct! However, the aircraft type wasn't a 727 so please guess again, sir!
Hmm... I'm about to say 737-200 but somewhere in the back of my cluttered mind lurks the fact that in the early part of the 60s United traditionally operated Caravelles and Viscounts down there. I'm not exactly sure when United retired its Caravelles but I think it was in the process of doing so by the late 60s. I used to see Caravelles and 720s parked over by United's pilot training center at Denver's Stapleton International back in 1969/70. So what the heck, let's go with the Caravelle!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Hmm... I'm about to say 737-200 but somewhere in the back of my cluttered mind lurks the fact that in the early part of the 60s United traditionally operated Caravelles and Viscounts down there. I'm not exactly sure when United retired its Caravelles but I think it was in the process of doing so by the late 60s. I used to see Caravelles and 720s parked over by United's pilot training center at Denver's Stapleton International back in 1969/70. So what the heck, let's go with the Caravelle!
4. Indeed, the equipment was a Caravelle. Here's the complete sched from the April 27, 1969 United system timetable....

UA 826: Birmingham (BHM) 7:20a - 9:05a Knoxville/Oak Ridge (TYS) 9:35a - 10:45a Pittsburgh (PIT) 11:10a - 11:48a Cleveland (CLE)
Aircraft Type: CVL JET
Class of Service: F

BTW, I remember seeing UA Caravelle and Viscount aircraft at HSV when our family lived in Huntsville, AL during the mid 1960s.....
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
14. In early 1986, Northeastern International was operating jet service into four airports in the U.S. Name all four.

Hmm... This must've been the final days of Northeastern Int'l. I'll try a shot in the dark then. I think they were based out of Islip, Long Island so I'm thinking Long Island MacArthur (ISP) would have been one airport. Ft. Lauderdale was always big, and West Palm Beach as well, so there's two and three I remember New Orleans as kind of a mini-hub but I'm thinking in winter they probably would have concentrated on flights between Florida and the northeast. So, let's go with... Hartford.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

14. In early 1986, Northeastern International was operating jet service into four airports in the U.S. Name all four.

Seat 2A is correct with regard to Long Island MacArthur (ISP) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL).

However, the airline was not serving Hartford (BDL) or West Palm Beach (PBI) at this time.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Seat 2A is correct with regard to Long Island MacArthur (ISP) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL). However, the airline was not serving Hartford (BDL) or West Palm Beach (PBI) at this time.
Hmm... okay then, how about Orlando and New York JFK?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm... okay then, how about Orlando and New York JFK?
14. Excellent guesses, sir!

However, the two remaining airports are not MCO and JFK.....but I will say that both of the airports we are looking for are respectively located not too far from either MCO or JFK.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

14. Excellent guesses, sir!

However, the two remaining airports are not MCO and JFK.....but I will say that both of the airports we are looking for are respectively located not too far from either MCO or JFK.
Okay then, how about Tampa for an airport close to MCO and... let's go with Philadelphia - just 90 miles down the pike from JFK.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay then, how about Tampa for an airport close to MCO and... let's go with Philadelphia - just 90 miles down the pike from JFK.
14. Philadelphia (PHL) is correct. However, the other airport is not Tampa (TPA)......but you are very close!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

14. Philadelphia (PHL) is correct. However, the other airport is not Tampa (TPA)......but you are very close!
Not Tampa but close.... Uh, gee Chumley, how about Sarasota/Bradenton? No, no - just kidding!
Shirley you must be talking about nearby St. Petersburg International Airport (PIE).

Question for you, JL - what aircraft type was Northeastern International operating at this time? If only due to economics I should imagine the DC-8s were gone, as were the A300s. I have a postcard of a Northeastern 727-200. Possibly it and one or two of the -100s?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not Tampa but close.... Uh, gee Chumley, how about Sarasota/Bradenton? No, no - just kidding!
Shirley you must be talking about nearby St. Petersburg International Airport (PIE).
14. Bingo! Northeastern International was only serving FLL, JFK, PHL and PIE at this time in 1986 and was soon to cease operations altogether and file bankruptcy. I also believe they had disposed of their A300, DC-8-62 and B727-100 aircraft at this point and were only operating the B727-200.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here we go......as always, please limit your response to two or three quiz items per day so that all may have the chance to participate. Thanks!

1. In 1957, this airline was operating a direct, no change of plane flight from Dusseldorf to Singapore once a week. Five intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, the equipment and all five stops in the order in which they were made.

2. It's 1962 and you are in Nassau in the Bahamas. You need to travel to Toronto and have found a weekly service that departs every Saturday. One intermediate stop is made en route. What airline will you be flying with? Also name the aircraft type and identify the stop.

3. In 1968 this U.S. commuter air carrier made the following statement on the cover of its timetable:

Now flying 600 mph Lear Jetliners

The airline in question was operating Learjet service to five destinations, three of which were airports serving larger cities. Name this commuter air carrier as well as the three larger airports.

4. Now it's the spring of 1969 and you are in Birmingham, Alabama. You've been invited to a lunch symposium at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. Much to your surprise, you've found a morning nonstop out of BHM to the closest commercially served airport to the lab. This flight operates daily departing at 7:20 am and arriving at 9:05 am. Identify the airline, the equipment and the city you will arrive into. ANSWERED

5. It's a beautiful spring morning on a Saturday in Bermuda in 1970. You are lounging around your sailing buddy's catamaran at the local marina when a message is delivered: can you travel to London for a Sunday dinner meeting? "No problem", you think, "I'll jump on the BOAC nonstop to London". However, you are then informed this BOAC nonstop service won't be operating on this particular Saturday. So what to do? Ah ha! There's a convenient connecting service! Your first flight will depart from Bermuda at 5:15 pm and arrive at the connecting city at 9:00 pm. You'll then have 2 hour and 20 minute connecting interval before your next flight operated by the same airline departs at 11:20 pm with an arrival into London at 8:40 am. You''ll be flying in first class on board two different aircraft types. Name the air carrier, the connecting city and the equipment operated on each leg. ANSWERED

6. Now it's 1971 and you are in downtown St. Louis. You have been urgently summoned to a meeting in downtown Chicago and have found a nonstop flight departing from the closest airport to your location which arrives at the closest airport to your destination in downtown Chicago. You will be flying on board a turboprop aircraft that is larger than other equipment operated by commuter air carriers at this time. And you will not be departing from STL or arriving into ORD. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from, the airport you will arrive into and the aircraft type.

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1974......

7. You've just finished having dinner with friends in Boston when you receive a message asking you to travel to San Francisco as soon as possible in order to review contract documents for a new project you will be undertaking as a consultant. However, a quick review of schedules reveals no nonstop red eye flights from BOS to SFO. So what to do? Ah, here's a direct flight offering first class which departs BOS at 12:10 am. Then you discover this service makes five intermediate stops en route, arriving into SFO at 10:32 am. Well, what the heck.....you'll be up front! Name the air carrier, all five stops in order and the equipment.

8. Your meeting in San Francisco has gone very well as you were actually able to get some decent sleep on the flight out from Boston in spite of all of the stops. Then you are informed you will have to meet with the owner of the company to finalize the project details. So where is he? "Oh, his private yacht should be sailing into Acapulco harbor the day after tomorrow......think you can make it down there by then?" Well, of course you can! There's daily flight from SFO to ACA which departs at the civilized time of 12:27 pm and arrives at 10:21 pm with two stops being made en route. This means you can relax the rest of the day, join friends over in Marin County for dinner and then catch an SFO Helicopter Sikorsky S-61 down to SFO for your flight. Identify the air carrier you'll be flying on to Acapulco, both stops in order and the aircraft. ANSWERED

9. What a nice sailboat! And it's not every day you take a meeting on board a 100 foot yacht in Acapulco. The follow up meeting on a beautiful Saturday morning with the company owner has gone well. And then he says, "I want you to meet with my business partner up in Omaha before we get going on this project. He's an up and coming financial investor you may have heard of. Normally I'd make my Gulfstream available to you but it's currently flying my wife and daughters back from Europe. I know one of your hobbies concerns the airline industry so I figure you'll have no problem getting up there on a commercial flight." So off you go back to ACA. There's a direct flight from Acapulco to OMA which operates on Saturdays only departing at 2:00 pm. Four stops are made en route and you'll arrive into Omaha at 9:45 pm. Name the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

10. In the winter of 1977-1978, this commuter air carrier was flying an exclusive service utilizing a turboprop with three daily round trip flights between a major airport in Florida and a posh resort located on an island. Passengers had to be members of the resort or invited guests in order to travel on the service. Identify the airline, the major airport, the resort destination and the aircraft.

11. It's 1981 and you are in Spokane. You've been invited to a Leon Russell concert in Tulsa and your friends have back stage passes. You discover there is a daily direct flight departing GEG at 7:00 am that will get you into TUL at 2:26 pm - plenty of time to get ready for the show. Three stops will be made en route and you will also be served lunch on one of the legs. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.

12. In the fall of 1983, this U.S. based airline ran a print ad with the following message:

Our Happy Hour Is All Day Long On Our _____(turboprop aircraft type)________ Free Cocktails 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.

Name the aircraft type and the air carrier.

13. Now it's the late summer of 1984 and you are in Reno. An old friend who has a de Havilland Canada Beaver float plane has invited you on a fishing trip on Kodiak Island in Alaska. You're in! You book a business class seat on a daily direct flight which will make three stops en route to Kodiak. Identify the airline, all three stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

14. In early 1986, Northeastern International was operating jet service into four airports in the U.S. Name all four. ANSWERED

15. How many BAC One-Eleven aircraft was USAir operating in early 1988? ANSWERED

That should get us started. And now to the lawn mower for the first time this year.......
Eight to go with more waiting in the wings, folks......

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 28, 2018 at 4:49 pm Reason: modified #6 & "answered" updates
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

8. Your meeting in San Francisco has gone very well as you were actually able to get some decent sleep on the flight out from Boston in spite of all of the stops. Then you are informed you will have to meet with the owner of the company to finalize the project details. So where is he? "Oh, his private yacht should be sailing into Acapulco harbor the day after tomorrow......think you can make it down there by then?" Well, of course you can! There's daily flight from SFO to ACA which departs at the civilized time of 12:27 pm and arrives at 10:21 pm with two stops being made en route. This means you can relax the rest of the day, join friends over in Marin County for dinner and then catch an SFO Helicopter Sikorsky S-61 down to SFO for your flight. Identify the air carrier you'll be flying on to Acapulco, both stops in order and the aircraft.

In 1974, the only airline I can think of that served both SFO and ACA fairly directly was Western. I'm pretty sure Mexicana and AeroMexico didn't fly north of LA back then. Still, Central time zone difference in ACA notwithstanding, we're talking eight hours of travel time which with two stops worth of ground time might translate into six to six and a half hours of actual flight time. The flight time math just doesn't add up following Western's routing which would seemingly run something like SFO-LAX-SAN-ACA. This leads me to think it's another airline and the only other airline serving both SFO and ACA would be American. The routing seems a bit out of the way but the flight time math works out better, so let's go with a shot in the dark and say American operating a Boeing 707 routing SFO-DFW-MEX-ACA.

9. What a nice sailboat! And it's not every day you take a meeting on board a 100 foot yacht in Acapulco. The follow up meeting on a beautiful Saturday morning with the company owner has gone well. And then he says, "I want you to meet with my business partner up in Omaha before we get going on this project. He's an up and coming financial investor you may have heard of. Normally I'd make my Gulfstream available to you but it's currently flying my wife and daughters back from Europe. I know one of your hobbies concerns the airline industry so I figure you'll have no problem getting up there on a commercial flight." So off you go back to ACA. There's a direct flight from Acapulco to OMA which operates on Saturdays only departing at 2:00 pm. Four stops are made en route and you'll arrive into Omaha at 9:45 pm. Name the airline, all four stops in order and the equipment.

When I think thru-flights between Acapulco and Omaha back in 1974, only one airline comes to mind, the one with the brightly colored aircraft. As for four stops though, well, I'm pretty confident about DAL and MCI. Now then, how about the other two? Let's say it was a two-tone red and ochre Braniff 727-200 flying a routing of ACA-SAT-DAL-OKC-MCI-OMA. The first leg bugs me - did BN fly ACA-SAT? Or did they route through IAH? What the hey - SAT for now.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. American is correct! However, the equipment wasn't a 707; it was a wide body. Here's the sched......

AA 140: San Francisco (SFO) 12:27p - 5:33p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 6:39p - 9:00p Mexico City (MEX) 9:35p - 10:21p Acapulco (ACA)
Equip: DC10 LuxuryLiner

9. Braniff International is correct! However, this flight did not stop in San Antonio, Dallas Love Field or Oklahoma City....but you did mention the first stop. Here's the complete sched.......

BN 134: Acapulco (ACA) 2:00p - 4:05p Houston (IAH) 5:00p - 5:50p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 6:30p - 7:15p Tulsa (TUL) 7:40p - 8:25p Kansas City (MCI) 9:10p - 9:45p Omaha (OMA) 10:10p - 11:00p Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
Op: ACA-DFW Daily, DFW-MSP Sat. only
Equip: B727-200

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 26, 2018 at 5:46 pm Reason: spelling & etc.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

15. How many BAC One-Eleven aircraft was USAir operating in early 1988?

By 1988, I should imagine it couldn't have been very many... total guess in the dark here, but as it is a one-eleven we're talking about, let's go with eleven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.