Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jrl767
23- I’m certain that, by 1970, Mexicana’s Comet IV fleet was long since parked ...
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
You may want to double check on your certainties, Seņor. Mexicana estaba volando los Comets hasta Diciembre, 1970.
I didn’t say WHEN in 1970, and I didn’t say how long “long since” really was

mi conjetura final es el de Havilland Comet IV

Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:07 am

20. My next guess is North Central.

28. Frontier via DAL and ABQ, on a 737-291.

32. The pure jet would be a Braniff 720. The fan jet would be a Continental 727-200.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
Re. 23: Mi conjetura final es el de Havilland Comet IV
In the words of the late, great Ed McMahon: "You are correct, Sir! Har! Har! Har!!!"
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
20. In 1960, this airline became the first of the U.S. Local Service Carriers to board more than one million passengers in a single year.

My next guess is North Central.

Correct. My source is airline historian David Stringer's article about the history of North Central in the June 2016 edition of Airways Magazine

28. It’s a dreary autumn afternoon in Kansas City with snow and sleet forecast for the weekend. There’s a knock at the door. Gasp! It’s the Western Union man with a telegraph from your cousin Arnie. You are cordially invited to join him and Ginger, his newfound bride to be as they tie the knot this weekend in Las Vegas. Ginger! I thought he was going out with – oh never mind. Vegas sounds great right about now. You can rent a tux when you get there. There are no nonstop flights but there is a two-stopper that departs MKC at 8:20am, arriving Vegas at 11:28am. Yeah, but does it go through Denver? That’s where the storm is right now, so you don’t want to go through there. Good news! It doesn’t. And better yet, First Class is available! Identify the airline, the equipment and the two enroute stops.

Frontier via DAL and ABQ, on a 737-291.

Correct! Here's the schedule:

FL 41 Kansas City (MKC) 820a – 938a B Dallas (DAL) 1015a – 1049a Albuquerque (ABQ) 1110a – 1128 L Las Vegas (LAS) 73S Daily

32. There are two daily nonstop flights between Seattle (SEA) and Dallas (DAL) One of them is operated with a pure jet, while the other features a fanjet powered aircraft. Identify each aircraft and the airline that operates it.

The pure jet would be a Braniff 720. The fan jet would be a Continental 727-200.

Close enough since if I were to tell you that Continental is the other airline, it would be an easy progression to then move to CO's 720B as the fanjet of record.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1985 OAG

8. It used to be that if you wanted to fly aboard a DC-9-10 out of Reno, you called Hughes Airwest. Not anymore. Three different airlines operate the “Baby Nine” into Reno. Can you identify each airline?
Republic and Sunworld Int'l. have been correctly identified. Horizon and Great American Airways and Continental are incorrect. We're still looking for the elusive third airline...

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE SOURCED FROM A 1970 OAG

23. Identify each of the five foreign built jet aircraft types found in scheduled service within the pages of this OAG
A N S W E R E D
Dassault Fanjet Falcon subject to further review

29. Only one airline within the pages of this OAG offers flights aboard a turboprop airliner with both First and Economy Class seating. Identify the airline and the aircraft.
A N S W E R E D

31. Whilst perusing the pages of my beloved 1970 OAG, I found scheduled BAC-111 flights being operated by six airlines. Identify those six airlines if you can. If you can’t, that’s okay too. Go have a beer or something.
AA, BN, LR, MO & QB identified so far. Aloha, Lanica and TACA subject to further review

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 16, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

31. Whilst perusing the pages of my beloved 1970 OAG, I found scheduled BAC-111 flights being operated by six airlines. Identify those six airlines if you can. If you can’t, that’s okay too. Go have a beer or something.
AA, BN, LR, MO & QB identified so far. Aloha, Lanica and TACA subject to further review
Permit me to throw Aviateca into the mix as I know they were operating the stretched series 500 One-Eleven into MSY in 1971....but I'm not sure about 1970.

As for Lanica and TACA, I'd take a look at both MIA and MSY in your OAG. And I'd take a peek at SJU as well as LIAT operated the One-Eleven into that airport at one point....but again, I'm unsure when.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
29. Only one airline within the pages of this OAG offers flights aboard a turboprop airliner with both First and Economy Class seating. Identify the airline and the aircraft.
29. The question here might well be: when did Air Canada cease operating the Vickers Vanguard? I believe their Vanguard aircraft were configured with an F/Y cabin and I also think AC was still operating the type early in 1970. So in any case I'll go with Air Canada and the Vanguard.

Meantime, our interesting winter weather continues....and at 8:00 am CST on a Sunday morning here in LFT, it's a balmy 67 degrees F and overcast following thunderstorms during the predawn hours. Just to our north up in Alexandria (AEX) it's 45 degrees F and a bit further up Interstate 49 in Shreveport (SHV) it's 33 degrees F while over at DFW it's 28 degrees F with scattered frozen precipitation noted here and there across north Texas. Winter is not quite through with us yet as Mardi Gras weekend rolls on in southern Louisiana......
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:16 am

I have two bonus questions, based on Seat 2A's earlier MKC-DAL-ABQ-LAS flight on Frontier.

The CAB awarded Frontier DAL-ABQ-LAS in 1969. However, Frontier was not able to compete against CO and Texas International between DAL and ABQ, or TWA between ABQ and LAS. Frontier suspended the route in 1971, and operated it only intermittently afterward.

1. In 1973, Frontier agreed to give this route to another airline. Which airline did they agree to give it to?
CO is incorrect.
2. What two routes of the other airline would have been given to Frontier in exchange for this route?
Neither of the routes went to DEN, ICT, or OKC.

The route exchange was not approved by the CAB, and the route disappeared from Frontier's route maps by 1978.

Last edited by JoeDTW; Feb 11, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
11. Please permit me to amend my answer here as I believe Bradley Air Services was actually operating as First Air (7F) when they introduced Boeing 727-200 Combi service.

And this clarification engenders a couple of bonus quiz items, of course.....

#1: What was the first specific jet aircraft type operated by First Air and what year did the air carrier introduce this type? ANSWERED

#2: The airline operated the Hawker Siddeley HS 748 for a quarter of a century. What was the year when First Air finally retired the last HS 748 from their fleet?
Speaking of bonus quiz items, these two are still hanging around as well.....and here's a hint:

#1 - This was not a new aircraft but had seen service with other air carriers as the type was no longer in serial production.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 13, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry for the extended break, gang - between concerts and flying, I've been a tad distracted. I'll be home tonight and as such we can expect a more expeditious response time to your responses. Thanks foor your participation - and your patience! ^

Permit me to throw Aviateca into the mix as I know they were operating the stretched series 500 One-Eleven into MSY in 1971....but I'm not sure about 1970. As for Lanica and TACA, I'd take a look at both MIA and MSY in your OAG. And I'd take a peek at SJU as well as LIAT operated the One-Eleven into that airport at one point....but again, I'm unsure when.

LIAT's the one I'd originally identified that you were missing. As for the others - I'll check but considering the short distance between Central American countries and MIA/MSY/IAH, if any of those airlines' flights originated from Central America, they would not be displayed in the North American OAG. Aviateca used to come in out of Merida, so that's a possibility that I'm pretty sure I checked. In any event, I'll double check all of 'em tonight!

The question here might well be: when did Air Canada cease operating the Vickers Vanguard? I believe their Vanguard aircraft were configured with an F/Y cabin and I also think AC was still operating the type early in 1970. So in any case I'll go with Air Canada and the Vanguard.

And you would be correct, Sir! Air Canada's Vanguards saw a lot of action in the Maritimes - I'm curious now how far west they operated in late 1970. I'll get back with ya on that, eh -

So how was your Dornier 328JET flight, buddy?

I was impressed. The cabin feels surprisingly spacious for a small regional jet and the inflight cabin ambiance is not overly noisy despite the engines hanging just a few feet outside the forward third of the fuselage. Denver Air Connection provided an affordable and gracious service making this a most pleasant flight indeed.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 11, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
I have two bonus questions, based on Seat 2A's earlier MKC-DAL-ABQ-LAS flight on Frontier.

The CAB awarded Frontier DAL-ABQ-LAS in 1969. However, Frontier was not able to compete against CO and Texas International between DAL and ABQ, or TWA between ABQ and LAS. Frontier suspended the route in 1971, and operated it only intermittently afterward.

1. In 1973, Frontier agreed to give this route to another airline. Which airline did they agree to give it to? Continental would be my guess based upon an earlier question and answer...

2. What two routes of the other airline would have been given to Frontier in exchange for this route?
Many of Frontier's services from Oklahoma/Kansas were inherited in the Central Airlines acquisition. These were multi-stop routes. Possibly Frontier picked up nonstop Denver to Wichita and Oklahoma City service?

The route exchange was not approved by the CAB, and the route disappeared from Frontier's route maps by 1978.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Speaking of bonus quiz items, these two are still hanging around as well.....

#1: What was the first specific jet aircraft type operated by First Air and what year did the air carrier introduce this type?
#2: The airline operated the Hawker Siddeley HS 748 for a quarter of a century. What was the year when First Air finally retired the last HS 748 from their fleet?

And here's a hint: #1 - This was not a new aircraft but had seen service with other air carriers as the type was no longer in serial production.
I can't imagine it being a larger jet like a 707 or DC-8 (Although Transair and Quebecair both flew 707s for charter work, so you never know...) I'm thinking along the lines of the Fokker F.28 or the BAC-111. Let's go with the Fokker - a common sight around Canadian skies for many years... Second choice the BAC

As to question 2, it wasn't that long ago. I remember seeing the 748s in the schedules up to The Pas and Churchill I think as late as 2005 when I went up there. Wild guess - ten years ago, 2008.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:55 pm

The airline Frontier wanted to swap this route with was not Continental, and neither of the two routes this airline would have given up involved DEN, OKC, or ICT.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't imagine it being a larger jet like a 707 or DC-8 (Although Transair and Quebecair both flew 707s for charter work, so you never know...) I'm thinking along the lines of the Fokker F.28 or the BAC-111. Let's go with the Fokker - a common sight around Canadian skies for many years... Second choice the BAC

As to question 2, it wasn't that long ago. I remember seeing the 748s in the schedules up to The Pas and Churchill I think as late as 2005 when I went up there. Wild guess - ten years ago, 2008.
Bonus #1: Ah, it wasn't an F28 or a One-Eleven....or for that matter as 707 or DC-8. So here's another hint: the first First Air jet aircraft in question was a combi.

Bonus #2: The HS 748 soldiered on for awhile longer than 2008 with First Air.....so please guess again!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:40 am

Bonus #1 : Ah, it wasn't an F28 or a One-Eleven....or for that matter as 707 or DC-8. So here's another hint: the first First Air jet aircraft in question was a combi.
With help from the internet, can only think of 727-100 or 737-200 when they took over NWT Air in 1997.
That seems too obvious though - you must be looking for something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.