Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
18- Dang, I need to read the most current update before responding. Anyway: for the third segment, how about TWA operating DFW-STL

Aero California MEX-MTY Correct! JR 422 Mexico City (MEX) 1110a-1225p Monterrey (MTY) DC-9-10 Daily
Continental MTY-IAH-DFW Correct! CO 496 Monterrey (MTY) 430p-550p Houston (IAH) 650p-756p Dallas (DFW) DC-9-10 X6
Midwest Express DFW-MKE Correct!.TW 647 Dallas (DFW) 633a-811a St. Louis (STL) DC-9-10 X7
Northwest MKE-MSP-YWG Correct! NW 596 St. Louis (STL) 200p-337p Minneapolis (MSP) 440p-612p Winnipeg (YWG) DC-9-10 X67

And what&#8 217;s up with re-using question numbers? originally, #8 dealt with the 1981 MIA-ANC interchange, but now you&#8 217;re asking about SFO-LAS in 1965

Pretty simple, actually. The old #8 was correctly answered and so I replaced it with a new question.
You're really getting way too worked up over this. Relax. Have a few beers and then come back and answer some more questions.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 9, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
11. In 1972, Aer Lingus dominates most of the markets served from Dublin. Surprisingly, the Dublin – Manchester market is served by two airlines you would expect – Aer Lingus and BEA – as well as three continental European airlines, all of which fly twin engine jets on the route. Identify each of the three European carriers (one of which offers First Class) and the aircraft they operate.
Let's try SAS with a Caravelle, on to Copenhagen. Lufthansa with a 737-100, on to Frankfurt. JAT with a DC9, on to Dubrovnik on summer Saturdays.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
11. In 1972, Aer Lingus dominates most of the markets served from Dublin. Surprisingly, the Dublin – Manchester market is served by two airlines you would expect – Aer Lingus and BEA – as well as three continental European airlines, all of which fly twin engine jets on the route. Identify each of the three European carriers (one of which offers First Class) and the aircraft they operate.

Let's try SAS with a Caravelle, on to Copenhagen. Lufthansa with a 737-100, on to Frankfurt. JAT with a DC9, on to Dubrovnik on summer Saturdays.

You're two thirds the way there,W. SAS and Lufthansa with respective aircraft are correct. Both airlines operated their jets in an all-economy configuration. The other airline - at least per the schedule I reference - was not JAT but different airline. That airline was not operating a DC-9, but it was the only one of the three that offered First Class and Economy. Please, finish this one off!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 8, 2018 at 7:30 pm Reason: Spelling error...
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:09 am

SAS, with their Caravelle, had done Dublin through Manchester for years. I wonder how few passengers were carried. Lufthansa was a bit of a guess, I don't think it lasted. And JAT was an absolute stab. I was aware that KLM had already given up Dublin, also served this way, when they withdrew their Viscounts (which coincidentally they then sold to Aer Lingus). There were quite a number of European carriers, regulars at London Heathrow, that did once-daily flights into Manchester in this era, often nightstopping. They used to stand in a line in the early morning on the remote stands facing the then only terminal, which as anyone who passed through it in that generation would say "ah yes, the one with the chandeliers". Anyone who remembers those, they are now in the glass factory museum https://davidmalik.com/pages/restora...ni-chandeliers

Back to Dublin. With F it's presumably a mainstream carrier. Let's go for Swissair, Dublin-Manchester-Zurich. Again with a Caravelle.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SAS, with their Caravelle, had done Dublin through Manchester for years. I wonder how few passengers were carried. Lufthansa was a bit of a guess, I don't think it lasted. And JAT was an absolute stab. I was aware that KLM had already given up Dublin, also served this way, when they withdrew their Viscounts (which coincidentally they then sold to Aer Lingus). There were quite a number of European carriers, regulars at London Heathrow, that did once-daily flights into Manchester in this era, often nightstopping. They used to stand in a line in the early morning on the remote stands facing the then only terminal, which as anyone who passed through it in that generation would say "ah yes, the one with the chandeliers". Anyone who remembers those, they are now in the glass factory museum https://davidmalik.com/pages/restoration-of-venini-chandeliers

Back to Dublin. With F it's presumably a mainstream carrier. Let's go for Swissair, Dublin-Manchester-Zurich. Again with a Caravelle.

I would love to have seen those chandeliers but alas, my first trip through Manchester wasn't until 2013. The pictures leave me wondering if any other airports are graced by similar works of art on such a grand scale...

As to Dublin, you're getting closer. Swissair is not the airline we're looking for, but the aircraft that airline operated was a Caravelle...
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Moving right along...

17. It’s early 1973 and you’ve been living in the Bahamas for five years. Your job has you commuting regularly between Nassau and Freeport. Your favored schedule has you flying from Nassau to Freeport on one airline and back to Nassau on another. Both airlines operate turboprop equipment. Identify the two airlines and the respective turbo props each operates.
17. I'll guess Bahamasair with the Fairchild FH-227 and Flamingo with the Lockheed L-188 Electra.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:46 am

I would love to have seen those chandeliers but alas, my first trip through Manchester wasn't until 2013. The pictures leave me wondering if any other airports are graced by similar works of art on such a grand scale...

As to Dublin, you're getting closer. Swissair is not the airline we're looking for, but the aircraft that airline operated was a Caravelle...
Not only those chandeliers, absolute classics, but, more subtly, those high vertical white panels you can see in the picture on each side, which prevented direct sunshine from the upper windows getting down to the floor, each had an impression in the surface of a different airline logo which had been serving the airport - in 1962, when built. They were never updated, nor could they easily be.

The chandeliers had been stored in boxes for years and of the four the restorers managed to get one for the glass museum, and a partial one elsewhere. The rest of the glass pieces were unfortunately found to be broken when they were unpacked.

And that Caravelle ... this is guessing. I doubt it was Iberia, one of the few other early Dublin operators, going to Mediterranean resorts, because they had all-economy Caravelles. Who else ran them to Manchester ? I can't see it being Air France. Sabena ? Alitalia ? Aer Lingus was quite well established serving France and Italy. Let's go for Sabena.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Moving right along...

14. It’s early 1986 and you’re ready for some fun in Las Vegas. Although you usually fly out of Detroit aboard one of the major airlines, this time you’ve booked yourself a direct one stop flight to Vegas aboard an airline that you’ve never heard of. As an added bonus, you’ve splurged and booked a seat in First Class. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.
I'm going to guess it was Sun Country and the stop was MSP on a DC-10
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And that Caravelle ... this is guessing. I doubt it was Iberia, one of the few other early Dublin operators, going to Mediterranean resorts, because they had all-economy Caravelles. Who else ran them to Manchester ? I can't see it being Air France. Sabena ? Alitalia ? Aer Lingus was quite well established serving France and Italy. Let's go for Sabena.
It's not Sabena, so it must be... oh, why string it out? The only other option here is Alitalia and that's the one we're looking for.

I was 4 years old when I flew on my first and only Caravelle, a United bird. I can still generate a mental picture of climbing up the back stairway and looking out of those triangular windows. If I'd been like a lot of young American kids back in the seventies who loaded up their backpacks and headed off to Europe with a Eurail pass, I might've had a better chance to log a flight or two aboard another Caravelle, a Dassault Mercure, perhaps even a VFW-Fokker 614. Then again, I understand inter-city airfares were exorbitantly high back then, so maybe not. As it happened, I didn't get to Europe for the first time until 2002. Back in the late seventies and eighties, I could be found all over the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand which allowed me to fly upon a good number of their regional airliners.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
17. It’s early 1973 and you’ve been living in the Bahamas for five years. Your job has you commuting regularly between Nassau and Freeport. Your favored schedule has you flying from Nassau to Freeport on one airline and back to Nassau on another. Both airlines operate turboprop equipment. Identify the two airlines and the respective turbo props each operates.

I'll guess Bahamasair with the Fairchild FH-227 and Flamingo with the Lockheed L-188 Electra.

You guessed right! It's worth noting that schedules reflect Flamingo also operating a Convair of some type. (CVR) A bit of research reveals that it may have been a 340
I'm editing this to reflect that the F27 operator was Out Island Airways. Credit jlemon with catching this. I had Out Island correctly listed as the answer on my quiz sheet but just answered a bit too fast. Good call, Dr. Lemon.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 10, 2018 at 1:45 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
14. It’s early 1986 and you’re ready for some fun in Las Vegas. Although you usually fly out of Detroit aboard one of the major airlines, this time you’ve booked yourself a direct one stop flight to Vegas aboard an airline that you’ve never heard of. As an added bonus, you’ve splurged and booked a seat in First Class. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.

I'm going to guess it was Sun Country and the stop was MSP on a DC-10

Sun Country is an excellent guess Oski, especially as 1986 is the year Sun Country acquired its first DC-10 via lease from Northwest. Unfortunately, per the schedules I referenced for this question, Sun Country does not show up as an option for the DTW-LAS market. Additionally, I don't believe Sun Country offered First Class until its purchase by the Davis family in 2011. So then, we're looking for a different airline - one that offers First Class but did not operate a DC-10 or fly through Minneapolis. Please - do guess again! ^
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright then - no more new questions. These are all that're left...

. It’s 1988 and you live in Boca Raton, Florida. One afternoon you come across an ad in your Sunday newspaper’s Travel Section for an airline offering great fares and nonstop flights five times weekly between nearby Ft. Lauderdale and Antigua. Identify the airline and aircraft type you’ll be flying upon from Ft. Lauderdale to Antigua.

2. In the "Good Old Days" United used to operate nonstop DC-8 Jet Mainliner service between Los Angeles and Milwaukee. In early 1986 however, nonstop flights between Los Angeles and Milwaukee are nonexistent. United’s one-stopper through Denver is sold out, so you’ve booked yourself on a two stop flight aboard one of the new crop of airlines that sprung up after deregulation eight years ago. It departs LA at 11:30 am and arrives Milwaukee with plenty of time for dinner with your cousins. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.

3. In early 1965, what was the longest scheduled piston engine powered aircraft flight in North America?
A N S W E R E D

4. Back in the good old days, if you wanted to get from Indianapolis to Ft. Myers, Florida you just called Eastern and hopped on a "Whisperliner" via Atlanta. All of the flights offered First Class back then, too. Now in 1998 there's a local Indianapolis based airline but they are an all-economy class operation. How gauche! Thankfully one airline flies nonstop from Indy to Ft. Myers that still offers First Class. You call them and book a First Class seat on the afternoon departure. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

5. In 1981 this U.S. airline’s complete time table shows a total of 28 flights, all of them operating in one direction or another between just two cities with one jet aircraft type. Identify the airline and the equipment it operates.

6. Surf’s up in the Bahamas (or whatever approximates surf down there) and you’re ready to get out of dreary Pittsburgh for a bit of late winter sun and surf. It’s early 1986 and so far as you know there’s never been a nonstop or even direct flight between Pittsburgh and Nassau. Well there is now in the form of a 2-stop direct flight (with a change of gauge) and it even offers First Class. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon as well as the two intermediate stops.

7. A thorough perusal of the 1973 North American OAG revealed just three airlines that operated the Hawker Siddeley 748. Which ones were they?
LIAT and AeroMexico have been identified

9. You just got a call from an old college roommate to ask if you could make it out to the Grand Opening celebration of his new guitar shop San Francisco. Well sure, why not?! When is it? Saturday evening at 6:00pm. Right on! A quick check of the March 1988 schedules reveals two airlines offering nonstop service from Kansas City to SFO, one of which offers First Class, the other only coach. You quickly book a First Class seat to San Francisco departing on Saturday morning. Identify the airline as well as the aircraft type to be flown.
It's not Eastern

10. You live in Montreal and want to take your family to Disney World sometime in early 1986. Although Miami and Tampa have always been well served with nonstop flights from Montreal, Orlando has not. Thank goodness your travel agent managed to book you all in First Class on a direct one-stop flight to Orlando. Unfortunately, it departs from way out at Mirabel International Airport. Surely you know the drill by now: Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop.

12. A trip down to your local travel agency has rewarded you with the most recently expired OAG from early 1986. As you excitedly peruse the pages, you are surprised to discover that it’s still possible to fly aboard a Sud Aviation SE-210 Caravelle – departing from a U.S. airport no less. Identify the airline, origin and destination of this rare Caravelle flight.
This flight operates to a Caribbean destination, but not Santo Domingo

13. It used to be that Boeing 707s were a common sight across the azure blue waters of the Caribbean. By 1986 however, just one airline still flies the venerable 707 between the U.S. and a Caribbean destination. The flight departs New York’s JFK each Saturday morning at 9:00am, flying nonstop to its destination. Identify the airline and the Caribbean destination served.

It's not Sun Country. Nor is a DC-10 involved.

16. Remember back in 1986 when you were planning to drive from your home outside Sacramento to have lunch with your sister in San Francisco, but given the morning traffic and the paucity of parking spaces, you decided to fly instead? Best of all, instead of the usual single aisle jet or prop, you managed to book yourself a seat aboard an honest to God widebody aircraft. That was a great flight for such a short route. Identify the airline and aircraft you flew upon.

19. Awright now, here’s your challenge: It’s 1998. You live in Montreal, Quebec and you want to fly to Los Angeles, California with all of the flights being aboard 4-engine jets. The problem is there just aren’t all that many 4-engine jets left flying around these big broad countries we live in. Even so, you’ve found a routing utilizing two airlines involving a single connection, although you will have to overnight at the connecting point. The flight to the connecting city has one enroute stop. Can you figure out the airlines, aircraft and the routing? I’m pretty sure it is the only way to fly all 4 engine jets between Montreal and LA.
The enroute stops are in North America. No 747s are involved. First Class is available on one of the airlines...

20. It’s 1986 and you need to travel from The Motor City (DTW) to The Crescent City (MSY) for the annual Jazz Fest. One airline offers a great fare with a one-stop direct service. Alas, it is the only airline amongst the various options that doesn’t offer First Class, but the price is right. Identify the airline, aircraft and the single enroute stop.

Bonus Trivia Question: What is the combined mileage of all of the taxiways and runways at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 10, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

I almost guessed Out Islands Airways instead of Bahamasair concerning this quiz item as Out Islands operated the FH-227 as well in the Bahamas. I also believe Bahamasair began operations in early 1973 following the demise of Out Islands Airways.

There have been reports that Flamingo Air Lines and Out Islands Airways both respectively operated the BAC One-Eleven. However, I have never been able to find any schedules listing One-Eleven service operated by these Bahamas-based air carriers.

Here's a photo of a BAC One-Eleven operated by Flamingo which I believe was taken at Nassau (NAS). Note the U.S. registration.

https://airlinersgallery.smugmug.com...-200/i-h2vmt73
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. In early 1965, what was the longest scheduled piston engine powered aircraft flight in North America?
3. Wild guess time: Nordair operating a Lockheed L-1049H Constellation nonstop from Montreal Dorval (YUL) to Resolute Bay (YRB). I believe the distance from YUL to YRB is 2,123 miles.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
I almost guessed Out Islands Airways instead of Bahamasair concerning this quiz item as Out Islands operated the FH-227 as well in the Bahamas. I also believe Bahamasair began operations in early 1973 following the demise of Out Islands Airways.

There have been reports that Flamingo Air Lines and Out Islands Airways both respectively operated the BAC One-Eleven. However, I have never been able to find any schedules listing One-Eleven service operated by these Bahamas-based air carriers.

Here's a photo of a BAC One-Eleven operated by Flamingo which I believe was taken at Nassau (NAS). Note the U.S. registration.

https://airlinersgallery.smugmug.com...-200/i-h2vmt73
Actually, you are correct that it is Out Island. I had them listed on my answer sheet but simply answered your question a bit too fast/carelessly. I've got a postcard of an Out Islands BAC-1-11. I'd love to see one of that Flamingo jet. What a good looking livery on the little BAC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.