Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Hello 727! And fond farewell to our Convair 580 aircraft, no longer part of Allegheny's fleet.

There have been a lot of weird airline slogans...but "The big airline with the hometown touch" was one of the weirdest. Allegheny was trying to be "big but not impersonal", or "friendly but not small" with this slogan, I guess....
34. Correct! Interesting to note that Allegheny in their marketing efforts referred to the 727 as a "wide cabin" aircraft.....however, if one was used to flying on board a Convair 580, perhaps the 727 could be considered to be "wide cabin". It certainly was the largest airplane in the AL fleet at the time.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
at 3-3 seating in coach the 727 was certainly "wide" compared to the other jets in the AL fleet -- DC9-30 and BAC 1-11 -- which were 3-2 seating
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

28. In 1986, this U.S. airline offered a very interesting promotion. If one was a member of this airline's frequent flyer program and flew a minimum of 125,000 miles within a two year period, this air carrier via its vehicle leasing partner would provide you with your choice of one of the following cars on a complimentary lease basis for one year: Alfa Romeo Milano or Spider, BMW 325e, Peugeot 505 Turbo or Volkswagen Vanagon. And here's a hint: this airline was only serving five destinations with one aircraft type at this time. Name the air carrier. And for bonus points, name all five destinations and the equipment.

Fill in the blanks with regard to the following airline advertisement:

31. "Know which airline is opening up 22 cities to jet-powered service for the first time? Sure,___(airline)___ ! Now Number 1 in the sky wherever we fly. _________ AIRLINES"
Just a few quiz items left unanswered from my most recent set....and I'll let them sit out there for several more days before providing answers.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 4, 2014 at 6:35 pm Reason: updating list of remaining quiz items
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here's a Western Airlines two part bonus question:

In the spring of 1977, what was the total number of Boeing 720B aircraft operated by WA and what was the major concern voiced by Western in their annual report at the time with regard to the B720B
?
Plus, this two part bonus question remains unanswered.......
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. This airline was operating a milk run route at this time once a week every Sunday from Reno to Los Angeles. This flight departed RNO at 5:20am and arrived at LAX at 11:20am. Eight intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, all eight stops in the order in which they were made and the equipment flown on the service. ANSWERED
And this quiz item remains unanswered as well. I'll provide an answer this evening if there are no takers between now and then.....and please note there were actually only seven (7) intermediate stops made by this flight, not eight.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 4, 2014 at 10:35 am Reason: number of stops correction & answer update
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
1965 ...6. This airline was operating a milk run route at this time once a week every Sunday from Reno to Los Angeles. This flight departed RNO at 5:20am and arrived at LAX at 11:20am. Eight intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, all eight stops in the order in which they were made and the equipment flown on the service.
I can't picture either United or Western route maps that would accommodate eight stops between RNO and LAX; West Coast, Bonanza, and Pacific consolidated as Air West in approx 1967, and only the latter two served RNO

in either case the aircraft was a Fairchild F-27; BL would have been a very convoluted routing via LAS, PHX, and SAN, but I seem to recall that their westbound services from PHX either originated there or came down from SLC; by process of elimination I am therefore left with PC

per my usual swag caveat, I suspect at most four or five of these intermediate points are correct
  1. Sacramento (SAC; I don't think SMF was open yet)
  2. Oakland (OAK)
  3. San Francisco (SFO)
  4. San Jose (SJC)
  5. Monterey (MRY)
  6. San Luis Obispo (SBP)
  7. Santa Maria (SMX)
  8. Santa Barbara (SBA)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I can't picture either United or Western route maps that would accommodate eight stops between RNO and LAX; West Coast, Bonanza, and Pacific consolidated as Air West in approx 1967, and only the latter two served RNO

in either case the aircraft was a Fairchild F-27; BL would have been a very convoluted routing via LAS, PHX, and SAN, but I seem to recall that their westbound services from PHX either originated there or came down from SLC; by process of elimination I am therefore left with PC

per my usual swag caveat, I suspect at most four or five of these intermediate points are correct
  1. Sacramento (SAC; I don't think SMF was open yet)
  2. Oakland (OAK)
  3. San Francisco (SFO)
  4. San Jose (SJC)
  5. Monterey (MRY)
  6. San Luis Obispo (SBP)
  7. Santa Maria (SMX)
  8. Santa Barbara (SBA)
6. An excellent guess! And to begin with, I incorrectly counted the number of intermediate stops: there were actually only seven (7) - my apologies!

So with that being said, the air carrier was not Pacific Air Lines, the aircraft was not a Fairchild F-27 and two of your stops, being OAK and SFO, are correct. The remainder of the stations you mention are incorrect.

Please guess again!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, let's try to get a different picture here

UA still had their Convair 340s in 1965 ... how about a San Joaquin Valley run rather than a coastal route:
  1. Stockton (SCK)
  2. OAK
  3. SFO
  4. Modesto (MOD)
  5. Merced (MCE)
  6. Fresno (FAT)
  7. Bakersfield (BFL)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
36. "AFRICA: less than 24 jet hours from New York!. __(airline)____: World Leader in Jet Travel."

I don't think it could've been Air Afrique (Dakar was only 8 hours or so away aboard its nonstop DC-8s, and besides it was hardly a world leader in jet travel) or Pan Am (The World's Most Experienced Airline). It's gotta be a European airline. Let's go with Air France...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
well, let's try to get a different picture here

UA still had their Convair 340s in 1965 ... how about a San Joaquin Valley run rather than a coastal route:
  1. Stockton (SCK)
  2. OAK
  3. SFO
  4. Modesto (MOD)
  5. Merced (MCE)
  6. Fresno (FAT)
  7. Bakersfield (BFL)
6. United with Convair 340 service is correct! However, the routing was just a bit different......

UA 593: Reno (RNO) - Oakland (OAK) - San Francisco (SFO) - Stockton (SCK) - Modesto (MOD) - Fresno (FAT) - Visalia (VIS) - Bakersfield (BFL) - Los Angeles (LAX)
Op: Sundays only
Equip: C-3
Note: UA 593 operated the following routing on daily except Sunday basis: RNO-OAK-SFO-SCK-MOD-FAT-LAX
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
36. "AFRICA: less than 24 jet hours from New York!. __(airline)____: World Leader in Jet Travel."

I don't think it could've been Air Afrique (Dakar was only 8 hours or so away aboard its nonstop DC-8s, and besides it was hardly a world leader in jet travel) or Pan Am (The World's Most Experienced Airline). It's gotta be a European airline. Let's go with Air France...
36. Ah, it was not Air France.....so please guess again, sir!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not quiz questions ...

for those of us who keep logs of our commercial flights

1- what's the greatest number of consecutive flights you have taken on the same aircraft type? (it's ok to count different models, e.g., 737-700/800/900)

2- what's the greatest number of consecutive flights you have taken on DIFFERENT aircraft types? (here I'd actually distinguish between models)
my data point (Jun 01 - Feb 02) is 24; previous (Oct 89 - Dec 89) had been 14, although that included a USAF C-21 on a Space-Available hop between Andrews AFB and Wright-Patterson AFB

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 4, 2014 at 10:49 am
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

Ah, it was not Air France.....so please guess again, sir!

I knew it! Alright then, my second choice - BOAC!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

36. Correct!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:42 pm

Plus, this two part bonus question remains unanswered.......
WA operated a baker's dozen of 720Bs; they were concerned about new noise restrictions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.