FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:01 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
I can't picture either United or Western route maps that would accommodate eight stops between RNO and LAX; West Coast, Bonanza, and Pacific consolidated as Air West in approx 1967, and only the latter two served RNO

in either case the aircraft was a Fairchild F-27; BL would have been a very convoluted routing via LAS, PHX, and SAN, but I seem to recall that their westbound services from PHX either originated there or came down from SLC; by process of elimination I am therefore left with PC

per my usual swag caveat, I suspect at most four or five of these intermediate points are correct
  1. Sacramento (SAC; I don't think SMF was open yet)
  2. Oakland (OAK)
  3. San Francisco (SFO)
  4. San Jose (SJC)
  5. Monterey (MRY)
  6. San Luis Obispo (SBP)
  7. Santa Maria (SMX)
  8. Santa Barbara (SBA)
6. An excellent guess! And to begin with, I incorrectly counted the number of intermediate stops: there were actually only seven (7) - my apologies!

So with that being said, the air carrier was not Pacific Air Lines, the aircraft was not a Fairchild F-27 and two of your stops, being OAK and SFO, are correct. The remainder of the stations you mention are incorrect.

Please guess again!