Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Way to pound out those answers, gang! ^^ Here are the remaining unanswered questions...

53. If you want to fly on a jet between Kingston, Jamaica and San Juan, PR in early 1965, only one airline fits the bill with twice weekly service (Tue/Thu). Which airline would this be and what type of jet would you be flying upon? For a cyber pat on the back, identify the only other airline and aircraft (Propeller) that offered nonstop flights on this route. P A R T I A L L Y A N S W E R E D
HINT: We know about the BWIA/BOAC Viscount. We're looking for the jet service, which was operated by a four engine jetliner that wasn't operated by a European or South American airline... A N S W E R E D

57. Following a delicious luncheon 38000 feet over New Mexico and Arizona, you decide to while away an hour or two in the International Lounge. Name the airline and aircraft upon which you’d be flying.
HINT: New Mexico and Arizona are flown over in order. ...
HINT: While sat in the lounge, you might enjoy a Pisco Sour...
HINT: When I was in Ventura, California I used to see this plane fly overhead every afternoon about 2:30p local time...
A N S W E R E D

58. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon if you were enjoying the company of your fellow travelers in the “Cloud Club”?
HINT: It's a propeller driven aircraft operated by a U.S. airline... A N S W E R E D

61. "Teahouse of the Sky" - Japan Air Lines Looking for aircraft type (early 1970s) A N S W E R E D

66. "Voyager Lounge" - Air Canada Looking for aircraft type (1967) A N S W E R E D

70. What airline would you be flying if you were seated in a Kosmo Suite? A N S W E R E D

72. Your company has finally decided to pay for a better class of travel on your upcoming trip overseas. This time you’ll be enjoying the larger seat and enhanced catering of this airline’s “Cloud Nine Service”. Which airline would this be?
HINT: This airline operates the following widebodied jets: 767-300, 777-200 and 787...
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 18, 2014 at 2:29 am
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:09 pm

61. "Teahouse of the Sky" JL - 747
70. KE
72. ET
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
57. Following a delicious luncheon 38000 feet over New Mexico and Arizona, you decide to while away an hour or two in the International Lounge. Name the airline and aircraft upon which you’d be flying.
HINT: New Mexico and Arizona are flown over in order. ...
HINT: While sat in the lounge, you might enjoy a Pisco Sour...
HINT: When I was in Ventura, California I used to see this plane fly overhead every afternoon about 2:30p local time...
Braniff's bright orange 747 (affectionately known as "Fat Albert" or "The Great Pumpkin") operating DFW-HNL was clearly visible from the ground on clear SoCal days during my years in LA (Jul 76 to Jul 78)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA
69. It's twenty-two minutes into the flight and you've just received a nicely chilled glass of top flight Champagne. Now you can begin to truly relax in anticipation of the wonderful Blue Diamond Service you'll enjoy over the next ten hours to London. What airline are you flying?
HINT: There's a winged animal on the tail....

jrl: I'm going to guess this was call sign "Springbok" -- South African Airways (no aircraft type required)

2A: Right on, J! And another question bites the dust!

W: Um ..... may I ask which year this is please ?

Early to late Seventies.
Ah. You see, that's a 10 hour 22 minute flight to London, and as I thought it was some time back in the 1970s-80s.

Although you can indeed get from Jo'burg to London in about 11 hours nowadays, South African Airways couldn't at that time. Being prevented from overflying most of the rest of Africa, on their way to Europe they had to fly right out over the Atlantic Ocean, around the bulging west of Africa (it was known as the Bulge Route), and it was well beyond nonstop range so they had to stop at one of the places along the way where they were still welcome. Flying time was typically about 15 hours. It was like this for SAA from about 1960 to 1990. When the 747 took over from the 707 it was a bit faster, but took longer to refuel in the middle of the night so things overall stayed the same. It didn't improve aircraft utilisation much when they went back to the direct route, which coincided with the 747-400 coming along and being able to do it nonstop, because flights on the route have always been overnight in both directions. One or two SAA planes standing at Heathrow all day have been a longstanding feature, so those orange tails (nowadays a different scheme because the South African flag, which the tail colours have always been based on, changed) were always a familiar sight.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA
1. If I want to go from Florida to Mexico City (in the summer of 1980), one airline operates multi-daily from Miami, and one multi-daily from Tampa. Who are these two?......... Let's finish that off with AeroMexico as the other airline, operating MIA-MEX. My Eastern flights were out of Tampa.
Quite so. I would have expected by 1980 that one US airline, and probably Eastern, would have done Miami to Mexico City, but no, it was left to Aeromexico. Eastern had to run from Tampa.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Indelaware
61. "Teahouse of the Sky" JL - 747 Correct!

70. What airline would you be flying if you were seated in a Kosmo Suite?

KE (Korean Air Lines) [b]That's right! It was one year ago today that I flew from HKG to ICN in economy class aboard a KAL 747-400. I was very impressed with the quality of both the seat and the service. And that was in Economy Class! I should imagine a seat in the Kosmo Suite would be quite a treat!

72. Your company has finally decided to pay for a better class of travel on your upcoming trip overseas. This time you’ll be enjoying the larger seat and enhanced catering of this airline’s “Cloud Nine Service”. Which airline would this be?

ET (Ethiopian Air Lines) Again, that's right! “Cloud Nine Service” is Ethiopian's Business Class product.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

Braniff's bright orange 747 (affectionately known as "Fat Albert" or "The Great Pumpkin") operating DFW-HNL was clearly visible from the ground on clear SoCal days during my years in LA (Jul 76 to Jul 78)

Indeed! HERE is a bit of interesting information about this aircraft - N601BN

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 15, 2014 at 1:34 am
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
69. It's twenty-two minutes into the flight and you've just received a nicely chilled glass of top flight Champagne. Now you can begin to truly relax in anticipation of the wonderful Blue Diamond Service you'll enjoy over the next ten hours to London. What airline are you flying?

Ah. You see, that's a 10 hour 22 minute flight to London, and as I thought it was some time back in the 1970s-80s.

Although you can indeed get from Jo'burg to London in about 11 hours nowadays, South African Airways couldn't at that time. Being prevented from overflying most of the rest of Africa, on their way to Europe they had to fly right out over the Atlantic Ocean, around the bulging west of Africa (it was known as the Bulge Route), and it was well beyond nonstop range so they had to stop at one of the places along the way where they were still welcome. Flying time was typically about 15 hours. It was like this for SAA from about 1960 to 1990. When the 747 took over from the 707 it was a bit faster, but took longer to refuel in the middle of the night so things overall stayed the same. It didn't improve aircraft utilisation much when they went back to the direct route, which coincided with the 747-400 coming along and being able to do it nonstop, because flights on the route have always been overnight in both directions. One or two SAA planes standing at Heathrow all day have been a longstanding feature, so those orange tails (nowadays a different scheme because the South African flag, which the tail colours have always been based on, changed) were always a familiar sight.

I hope I don't embarrass you with yet another round of effusive praise but honestly, WHBM, your knowledge and recall of commercial aviation history - down to its tiniest details - is downright encyclopedic! We are all the better for it! Thank you. ^^

Indeed I was thinking along the lines of today's flight times when I posed the question. SAA's Blue Diamond Service was said to be very nice indeed, so I for one would have enjoyed the extra few hours aloft!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by jrl767
Indeed! HERE is a bit of interesting information about ship this aircraft - N601BN
and still more interesting info from BN about Line Number 100 ... delivered May 1971; scrapped Mar 1993
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I am curious, however - did Northwest actually operate nonstop flights between Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) and Anchorage (ANC) back in the 1960's? I was aware of NW 003 out of Chicago (ORD), but not of anything out of MSP....

It appears they did not....although I believe that Northwest may have operated one stop direct flights at this time between MSP and ANC, most likely via SEA.

In fact, NW was not operating nonstop flights between MSP and ANC as late as the mid 1970's although one stop direct DC-10 service was flown via SEA. And there was also this interesting flight from back in 1976:

NW 701: Miami (MIA) 8:55a - 10:50a Chicago (ORD) 11:40a - 12:48p Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 1:30p - 3:08p Edmonton (YEG) 3:45p - 4:10p Anchorage (ANC)
Op: MIA-YEG Daily, YEG-ANC Tuesdays, Thursdays, Sundays only
Equip: B727-100

Just think....one could arise at a decent hour in Miami for a departure at a civilized time and then arrive in Anchorage in time for a cocktail before dinner......

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 17, 2014 at 8:13 am
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Ah, very good, possibly you can break off from the wine to look down on the Havana ramp, where there are still some Ilyushin, Tupolev and Antonov in service - and I believe there's still the remnants of one or more Britannia fuselages there.

Do enjoy the resort - can you still swim in the Pacific there at this time of year ? We went to Eilat on the Red Sea one December, Red Sea of course being always warm water ........ it was freezing, couldn't stay in for more than 30 seconds We went for the day over to Petra in Jordan and I honestly thought it was going to snow.
Alas, due to weather conditions over Cuba (a persistent cloud deck) I was not able to see the lights of Havana while en route from Miami to Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR).....although the Captain of AA 2366 (operated with a fairly new B737-823) did mention he could see the lights of Varadero (VRA).....which, of course, was on the other side of the aircraft.

Oh well.....at least I could see the distant lights of Grand Cayman (GCM) to the east before we made landfall over the coast of Honduras. We then passed directly over Managua (MGA) while inbound to LIR.

And no problem with water temps in the Pacific on the tropical northwest coast of Costa Rica! Liberia and the nearby Golfo de Papagayo are on roughly the same latitude as Port of Spain off the coast of Venezuela. Sea water temps were approaching 90 degrees F in some spots - it felt like bathwater. Plenty of sea life as well to include dolphins and turtles in addition to the usual swarms of tropical fish on the reefs. At one point during a snorkle swim over the reef, I found myself completely surrounded by a school of several hundred fish. Of course, I immediately surrendered and then decamped to the beach bar for the obligatory rum cocktail......
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Here are the remaining unanswered questions......
58. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon if you were enjoying the company of your fellow travelers in the “Cloud Club”?
HINT: It's a propeller driven aircraft operated by a U.S. airline...

70. What airline would you be flying if you were seated in a Kosmo Suite?
[/QUOTE]

#58. Capital Airlines. The Cloud Club was a lounge aboard their Lockheed L 049 Constellation.

#70. Korean Airlines. Kosmo Suites are currently available onboard KE's 777-300ER and A380.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

53. If you want to fly on a jet between Kingston, Jamaica and San Juan, PR in early 1965, only one airline fits the bill with twice weekly service (Tue/Thu). Which airline would this be and what type of jet would you be flying upon? ...
might this have been a Delta DC-8? second guess a Convair 880
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

66. "Voyager Lounge" - Air Canada Looking for aircraft type (1967)
Let's go with the Boeing 747-133 operated by AC. I believe the "Voyageur Lounge" (note spelling) was located on the upper deck.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

53. If you want to fly on a jet between Kingston, Jamaica and San Juan, PR in early 1965, only one airline fits the bill with twice weekly service (Tue/Thu). Which airline would this be and what type of jet would you be flying upon? For a cyber pat on the back, identify the only other airline and aircraft (Propeller) that offered nonstop flights on this route. P A R T I A L L Y A N S W E R E D
HINT: We know about the BWIA/BOAC Viscount. We're looking for the jet service, which was operated by a four engine jetliner that wasn't operated by a European or South American airline...
I'll concur with jrl767 that the air carrier was Delta Air Lines and go one step further: aircraft was a Convair 880 flying an eastbound routing of LAX-DAL-MSY-KIN-SJU twice a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.