Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion

24. You will be on a Qantas 707-138 stopping in Mauritius, the Coccos Island and Perth before arriving in Sydney.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
24. You will be on a Qantas 707-138 stopping in Mauritius, the Coccos Island and Perth before arriving in Sydney.
24. Qantas with 707 service from Johannesburg to Sydney is correct! However, one of your stops is incorrect. So which one is it and what is the location of the third stop?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well dang! No sooner had I put together a scintillating set of bonus questions about the history of American Thanksgiving as practiced in the Canadian Maritimes than you go out and submit another fine collection of airline schedule related questions. Nicely done JL. I reckon those Thanksgiving questions will have to be shelved for a rainy day...

And now....

25. In 1974, the slogan for this Canadian airline was "Fly The Golden Jets". Name the air carrier as well as the aircraft types referred to.

The only Canadian airline I can think of that might have had anything approaching gold in its livery would be Transair. The livery as I recall it was more of a brown and ochre but what the heck, let's go with TZ operating the little Fokker F.28. A 707 was also utilized for charter services.

26. Now it's 1976 and you are on a business trip in northern Canada. You need to travel from Yellowknife, NWT to Churchhill, Manitoba. At first, you assume you will have to make connections in Edmonton and Winnipeg in order to travel from YZF to YYQ. However, you then discover there is a nonstop flight that operates three days a week between the two remote destinations and it fits your schedule. Name the airline and the equipment you'll be flying on.

When I think of Yellowknife back in 1976, I think Pacific Western. I'm not sure what I think of with Churchill (I took the train up there a few years ago) but let's roll the dice and go with Pacific Western utilizing a 737-200. Barring that, the aircraft would have to be a three-holer of which PW operated the -100 variant.

29. Also in 1977, Western was operating "Islander Service" nonstop to Honolulu (HNL) from six (6) different airports. Three (3) different aircraft types were operated by WA on their "Islander Service" at this time. Name all six airports and identify the three aircraft types used for these flights.

I didn't get to enjoy my first Islander Service flight in First Class until July of 1981. It was aboard a DC-10 from San Francisco to Honolulu and was in fact the 1000th flight recorded into my black leather flight log. For some reason my lasting memory of that flight is of the delicious Potatoes Berny that accompanied the Chateaubriand, carved seat side on the trolley... Ah... The Only Way to Fly...

As to the flights, whenever I'd snag a used OAG from the travel agency I was always on the look out to see what was flying between the U.S. and Hawaii. Moving on up the coast with Western, I vaguely recall...

San Diego - 720B
Los Angeles - DC-10, 707
San Jose - 707 - I believe these flights varied between a 707 and a 720B depending upon the season
Oakland - 707 - These flights varied between a 707 and a 720B depending upon the season
San Francisco - DC-10
Anchorage - 720B

I recall some schedules where the Boeings were operated in an all Y class configuration.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 28, 2015 at 12:03 pm
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

25. In 1974, the slogan for this Canadian airline was "Fly The Golden Jets". Name the air carrier as well as the aircraft types referred to.

The only Canadian airline I can think of that might have had anything approaching gold in its livery would be Transair. The livery as I recall it was more of a brown and ochre but what the heck, let's go with TZ operating the little Fokker F.28. A 707 was also utilized for charter services.

26. Now it's 1976 and you are on a business trip in northern Canada. You need to travel from Yellowknife, NWT to Churchhill, Manitoba. At first, you assume you will have to make connections in Edmonton and Winnipeg in order to travel from YZF to YYQ. However, you then discover there is a nonstop flight that operates three days a week between the two remote destinations and it fits your schedule. Name the airline and the equipment you'll be flying on.

When I think of Yellowknife back in 1976, I think Pacific Western. I'm not sure what I think of with Churchill (I took the train up there a few years ago) but let's roll the dice and go with Pacific Western utilizing a 737-200. Barring that, the aircraft would have to be a three-holer of which PW operated the -100 variant.

29. Also in 1977, Western was operating "Islander Service" nonstop to Honolulu (HNL) from six (6) different airports. Three (3) different aircraft types were operated by WA on their "Islander Service" at this time. Name all six airports and identify the three aircraft types used for these flights.

I didn't get to enjoy my first Islander Service flight in First Class until July of 1981. It was aboard a DC-10 from San Francisco to Honolulu and was in fact the 1000th flight recorded into my black leather flight log. For some reason my lasting memory of that flight is of the delicious Potatoes Berny that accompanied the Chateaubriand, carved seat side on the trolley... Ah... The Only Way to Fly...

As to the flights, whenever I'd snag a used OAG from the travel agency I was always on the look out to see what was flying between the U.S. and Hawaii. Moving on up the coast with Western, I vaguely recall...

San Diego - 720B
Los Angeles - DC-10, 707
San Jose - 707 - I believe these flights varied between a 707 and a 720B depending upon the season
Oakland - 707 - These flights varied between a 707 and a 720B depending upon the season
San Francisco - DC-10
Anchorage - 720B

I recall some schedules where the Boeings were operated in an all Y class configuration.
25. Well done, Seat 2A! It was Transair (TZ) operating the Fokker F.28 in scheduled service and the Boeing 707 on charters to Hawaii, the U.K. and elsewhere. Plus, Transair was also operating one other jet aircraft type at this time. What was it?

26. Ah, no, it was not Pacific Western (PW) and the aircraft type was not a 727 or 737. Please guess again!

29. Correct! With excellent commentary and detail as well! I also believe the 707 equipment was the series 320 Intercontinental model.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
25. Well done, Seat 2A! It was Transair (TZ) operating the Fokker F.28 in scheduled service and the Boeing 707 on charters to Hawaii, the U.K. and elsewhere. Plus, Transair was also operating one other jet aircraft type at this time. What was it?

I have postcards of all these Transair aircraft and the only other jet I knew Transair to operate was a 737-200. I didn't know they had one in 1974 though.

26. Ah, no, it was not Pacific Western (PW) and the aircraft type was not a 727 or 737. Please guess again!

Hmm... There's a good chance it was an Electra then but for the life of me I can't come up with a name of the airline. I also have a postcard of it (My collection numbers over 20000 cards) and if it's the one I'm picturing a white fuselage with a red cheatline and a stylized maple leaf (Not Air Canada) on a red tail. Anybody able to help here? Then again, I might be wrong on this one, too...

29. I also believe the 707 equipment was the series 320 Intercontinental model.

It was the -347C I believe as all two of the old -139s would've been long gone by then.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA
3. This all cargo airline made the following statement in a print ad: "FOR RENT: UNFURN. ROOM, 10,642 CUBIC FT., IMMED. OCCUPANCY. So why ship your freight with a passenger airline? Cargo is beneath them." Name this air cargo air carrier and identify the aircraft type keeping in mind the volume in cubic feet stated above.
I had a recollection of this ad and that byline from the ABC (UK version of OAG) Cargo version, and a dig in the web confirmed that it likely would have appeared in a freight trade publication over here, as Seaboard had longstanding scheduled all-cargo flights through Heathrow (so did Pan Am and TWA). They always seemed to do a lot of advertising - they also always had a paid couple of pages on the passenger ABC showing their cargo flights.

Putting my head in out local travel agent about the 2nd of the month when bicycling home from school just when the ABC had changed over to the next monthly edition generally gave me a set of the previous month. Otherwise I presume they were thrown out. Oh how I wish I'd kept them.

So, I dug around and here indeed was the ad. It was 1970 when Seaboard's DC8-63Fs had just come into service. A few years later they moved on again to 747Fs as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEABOARD-W...-/400914986274
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:17 pm

23. Also in 1970, this airline was operating eight (8) flights a week from Europe to North America which they called the "Western Arrow". Depending on the day of the week, these flights served several destinations on a nonstop basis in North America. Name the airline that operated these flights and also identify the equipment. And for bonus points, identify the departure airport in Europe as well as three destinations in North America that were served nonstop by the "Western Arrow".
I've discussed before our relatives in Vancouver BC, and they more than once came and went on this, which was Air Canada's "over the pole" (actually a long way short) route from London Heathrow to Vancouver, on which many flights stopped at either Calgary or Edmonton (and I recall sometimes even Winnipeg got a look in), thus giving nonstop service to all four. In the summer AC used a DC8-63 once they came on line, but out of season they would drop back to a DC8-54F combi, with just around 70 Y seats, no F, and cargo up front. The cargo included a lot of mining equipment moving between Vancouver and Africa, onward by BOAC from London; uncle in Vancouver, being a mining engineer, was more than a little involved with this, and on a couple of business trips doing this run briefly visited us.

However, there was a longer history of CP flying the similar route Vancouver to Amsterdam, going back to 1950s prop aircraft and well before AC started the direct London route (which some flights tagged on from Heathrow to Paris or Frankfurt), and CP surprisingly maintained this traffic, with connections on KLM to London, well into the 1970s.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:54 pm

24. You will be on a Qantas 707-138 stopping in Mauritius, the Cocos Island and Perth before arriving in Sydney.
24. Qantas with 707 service from Johannesburg to Sydney is correct! However, one of your stops is incorrect. So which one is it and what is the location of the third stop?
I believe the Qantas 707-138B short specials were all sold some years before 1972, replaced by standard 707-320Cs. These could do Mauritius to Perth nonstop, and so didn't need to look in at Cocos Island for fuel, but did stop at the new Melbourne airport, which unlike its predecessor could handle 707s (even Electras has weakened the runway there some years before, to the extent that work had to be done).
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

25. In 1974, the slogan for this Canadian airline was "Fly The Golden Jets". Name the air carrier as well as the aircraft types referred to. Mostly answered....still looking for one additional jet type

Responding to Seat 2A's latest responses....

25. Yes indeed, Transair was operating Boeing 737-200 equipment back in 1974 per their system timetable at the time. You are correct, sir!

26. Ah, I believe the air carrier you are referring to may be Northwest Territorial Airways (NWT Air) which indeed flew the L-188 Electra propjet (and I think these may have been combi aircraft). However, we are looking for another airline here and the aircraft was not the Electra.....

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 28, 2015 at 5:37 pm
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
I had a recollection of this ad and that byline from the ABC (UK version of OAG) Cargo version, and a dig in the web confirmed that it likely would have appeared in a freight trade publication over here, as Seaboard had longstanding scheduled all-cargo flights through Heathrow (so did Pan Am and TWA). They always seemed to do a lot of advertising - they also always had a paid couple of pages on the passenger ABC showing their cargo flights.

Putting my head in out local travel agent about the 2nd of the month when bicycling home from school just when the ABC had changed over to the next monthly edition generally gave me a set of the previous month. Otherwise I presume they were thrown out. Oh how I wish I'd kept them.

So, I dug around and here indeed was the ad. It was 1970 when Seaboard's DC8-63Fs had just come into service. A few years later they moved on again to 747Fs as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEABOARD-W...-/400914986274
3. Absolutely correct, sir! And I wish I would have kept those old OAGs I threw out as well!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've discussed before our relatives in Vancouver BC, and they more than once came and went on this, which was Air Canada's "over the pole" (actually a long way short) route from London Heathrow to Vancouver, on which many flights stopped at either Calgary or Edmonton (and I recall sometimes even Winnipeg got a look in), thus giving nonstop service to all four. In the summer AC used a DC8-63 once they came on line, but out of season they would drop back to a DC8-54F combi, with just around 70 Y seats, no F, and cargo up front. The cargo included a lot of mining equipment moving between Vancouver and Africa, onward by BOAC from London; uncle in Vancouver, being a mining engineer, was more than a little involved with this, and on a couple of business trips doing this run briefly visited us.

However, there was a longer history of CP flying the similar route Vancouver to Amsterdam, going back to 1950s prop aircraft and well before AC started the direct London route (which some flights tagged on from Heathrow to Paris or Frankfurt), and CP surprisingly maintained this traffic, with connections on KLM to London, well into the 1970s.
23. And you are correct once again! The Air Canada timetable I looked at listed "Western Arrow" flights operated with DC8 equipment nonstop from London to Edmonton, Winnipeg and Vancouver. The nonstops to YEG and YWG included select flights continuing on to YYC.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe the Qantas 707-138B short specials were all sold some years before 1972, replaced by standard 707-320Cs. These could do Mauritius to Perth nonstop, and so didn't need to look in at Cocos Island for fuel, but did stop at the new Melbourne airport, which unlike its predecessor could handle 707s (even Electras has weakened the runway there some years before, to the extent that work had to be done).
24. Yes indeed! Here's the sched.....

QF 642: Johannesburg 11:30 - 17:15 Mauritius 18:00 - 04:25 Perth 05:10 - 10:30 Melbourne 11:15 - 12:30 Sydney
Op: Mondays and Thursdays only
Equip: 707
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

28. In 1977, this airline was proposing to initiate a new hub operation at Chicago Midway (MDW) with twin jet aircraft flying nonstop service to Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, OH, Dayton, Des Moines, Detroit, Kansas City, Louisville, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Omaha, Pittsburgh and St. Louis. And this was no start up operation: the air carrier in question had been operating scheduled flights for many years and was already serving Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at the time. However, their proposed new Midway hub never got off the ground. Identify the airline and the equipment they proposed to operate from MDW.

I'm going to wild guess that this was Allegheny Airlines, based partly on the twin jet reference and mainly upon the plethora of cities in which it was already well established. My second choice would be Piedmont Airlines.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 28, 2015 at 6:03 pm
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
28. In 1977, this airline was proposing to initiate a new hub operation at Chicago Midway (MDW) with twin jet aircraft flying nonstop service to Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, OH, Dayton, Des Moines, Detroit, Kansas City, Louisville, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Omaha, Pittsburgh and St. Louis. And this was no start up operation: the air carrier in question had been operating scheduled flights for many years and was already serving Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at the time. However, their proposed new Midway hub never got off the ground. Identify the airline and the equipment they proposed to operate from MDW.

I'm going to wild guess that this was Allegheny Airlines, based partly on the twin jet reference and mainly upon the plethora of cities in which it was already well established. My second choice would be Piedmont Airlines.
28. Nope! And not just once but twice.....the air carrier was not AL or PI although these are excellent guesses. So please guess again!

And now back to the LSU game....which may well be the swan song for long time head Coach Les Miles.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dang! Awright then, here's another wild guess... United Airlines!

I'm basing this on the fact that United started selling off quite a few of its 70 strong fleet of 737-200s about that time, perhaps because the Midway hub idea never came to fruition...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.